PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas M4C Members.

Irish
05-28-10, 11:10
Las Vegas M4C Members please reply and specify if you're interested in training together or just logging in. I think this can turn into a valuable resource for us in regards to physical training with guns and getting together to learn other valuable skills as well, such as gun maintenance and discussing matters that pertain to us locally.

Due to the nature of the city we live in it is often difficult for people to get together due to scheduling conflicts. I know not everyone is interested in or able to attend training events but I'd like to see if we could get some members together and start out on some basic shooting drills and go from there.

I have a friend locally who owns a metal welding school and is in the process of fabricating target stands for me to use out in the desert, I go to Lovell Canyon primarily. Currently I'm having him working on building up 3 of them and I'll post pictures and details when they're done. If anyone else is interested please let me know and we can work out the details.

Rider79
05-28-10, 20:19
I'm up for it. I'm free tuesday-Thursday. I have steel plates but no stands for them.

Irish
05-28-10, 20:36
I'm up for it. I'm free tuesday-Thursday. I have steel plates but no stands for them.

I'm working on the stands now, metal base for for holding the wood planks and targets. I'll shoot you a PM when I get it worked out and I can get you something fabricated for holding the plates.

Shotdown
05-29-10, 00:57
I free on Sunday's usually. However, I usually have my kid so it'll depend.

infidelprodigy
05-29-10, 04:43
Irish,

Let me know $ on the target stands, always lookin for a good deal on those (lent mine out to some people and they came back shot up)

I'm free most days due to my upcoming move to San Antonio in August. Fiancee got into law school there & I'm in processing for SAPD.

Roneski
05-30-10, 22:40
Interesting. I'm available most weekends.

Irish
05-31-10, 11:16
Irish,

Let me know $ on the target stands, always lookin for a good deal on those (lent mine out to some people and they came back shot up)

I'm free most days due to my upcoming move to San Antonio in August. Fiancee got into law school there & I'm in processing for SAPD.

Will do. Busy next couple of weeks due to work & travel but I'll be up for something here in the near future. Mostly I just wanted to get this kicked off and see if there's any interest.

ROCKET20_GINSU
06-10-10, 22:16
Irishluck,

Thanks for getting this kicked off! I'd be interested in training as well. I shoot at desert sportsman, I'm a member so I can get 4 people in w/ me ($5 each) so that is an option if we want to do that. I usually work M-F 9 to 6ish so I am free most weekends and evenings. I'd love to do some night training if you guys are interested in that. I think the American Shooters guys are doing some night IDPA events but I haven't had a chance to go yet.

I'd be interested in those target stands as well so let me know how $$$. I've also got 2 evil roy (metal) 12 in practice targets, a couple of home made target stands, and a timer.

I'm looking forward to this,
GU

Irish
06-12-10, 17:19
I apologize for the lag time on my part after starting this thread. Work for me has been insane lately and I've been traveling like crazy! With the little time I have been in town wifey and the pup consume all my "free time" but there should be more of that soon. Please don't wait or hesitate to get together to train due to my obligations.

To help kick this off where do people think a good area to get together would be? I know of no ranges in the LV area that allow drawing from the holster & firing for any type of practice. This is in part due to legal issues and their constant influx of tourists who want to go shoot a machine gun.

Personally I like Lovell Canyon for a few different reasons. It's about 10 degrees cooler than the valley and 100 degree temps are already here. There's a good back stop and there tends to be very few people shooting out there at one time. If we can get something going on a semi-regular basis I vote for making it an all day affair and possibly throwing a lunch time BBQ while we're out there. Does anyone else have a wife or girlfriend who's interested in coming out to shoot? Who else has some other suggestions?

I'll be getting back to you guys shortly on a price for the stands.

Irish
06-12-10, 17:23
I shoot at desert sportsman, I'm a member so I can get 4 people in w/ me ($5 each) so that is an option if we want to do that.

What kind of info can you give us on D.S.? That's off of Charleston & 215 right? I don't know much about the place other than I've driven by once or twice. What type of shooting do they allow there? Handgun, rifle, etc?

Thanks!

infidelprodigy
06-13-10, 08:44
I am a member at DS as well & did the NRA RSO class up there recently (again anyway).

Drawing and all that good stuff totally acceptable still.

ROCKET20_GINSU
06-14-10, 00:44
Personally I like Lovell Canyon for a few different reasons. It's about 10 degrees cooler than the valley and 100 degree temps are already here. There's a good back stop and there tends to be very few people shooting out there at one time.

I've never been there, from a quick google maps search it looks like it is out charleston blvd to the west then you take a road that curves to the N and NW, is that right? that could be fun though it's about an hour each way for me.

If we can get something going on a semi-regular basis I vote for making it an all day affair and possibly throwing a lunch time BBQ while we're out there.

Definitely agree especially if we go out to Lovell canyon and it is in the vicinity of where I think it is above. I've got a weber charcoal grill that is pretty transportable. DSRPC also has some grilling areas inside of it with those open fixed park grills.

Does anyone else have a wife or girlfriend who's interested in coming out to shoot? Who else has some other suggestions?

I just spoke to my Fiancee and she'd be interested in going, especially if other girls are going to be there (I think this could be a great way to persuade them to increase our gun budgets lol). But seriously I think that would be a great idea, I'm all for any event/occasion that gets her out to shoot and improve her skills.

I'll be getting back to you guys shortly on a price for the stands.

Thanks!

What kind of info can you give us on D.S.? That's off of Charleston & 215 right? I don't know much about the place other than I've driven by once or twice. What type of shooting do they allow there? Handgun, rifle, etc?

Yes, as you head west on Charleston towards red rock canyon from the W 215 and charleston intersection it is on your left (S side of road) just past where the speed limit changes from 45 mph to 50/60 (I forget which) mph)

Its a great place, I like it because its fairly close to the city while giving us some great facilities to shoot in. They have alot of different ranges, skeet/trap, long range rifle (400m+), etc. But I think that for us we should consider taking over one of the "smaller" bays (ranges 2 or 10) they have got about 15 of these shooting bays.

Each of these bays varies in width between 40 - 75m, and in depth in from 50 - 100m long. There are some specific rules pertaining to a couple of these lanes about what type of firearms can be shot ( due to liability and range design) but I would make sure to get one where rifle/pistol/shotgun was all g2g so I don't think it'll be an issue. Draws at speed from concealment or open / Transitions (primary to secondary) / Multiple people shooting at the same time / shooting on the move / multiple targets / NFA items / shooting around vehicles are all fine. We can use steel and cardboard targets, but no tin cans, glass bottles, etc. Also all the targets need to be back right near the base of the berm. Also sometimes they keep the range open into the evening so if we get comfortable training together in that capacity we could do some low light / no light shooting if you guys wanted to do that (I would like to make sure we are all on the same page before we do this though).

I'd like to get out there this weekend if anyone is interested. I propose to do it on Sat starting just after lunch for 1.5 - 3 ish hours. For anyone interested we could meet at Pei Wei at 1100 on Sat (good inexpensive chinese place affiliated w/ PF changs, located right near the West 215/charleston intersection) and grab lunch. Talk about protocol/procedures/safety, format and goals then go from there. I can only take in 2-3 additional people if my Fiancee comes so we'll need help from another DSRPC member if we have a group bigger than that. Post in this thread if you're interested.

GU (Jeremy)

ROCKET20_GINSU
06-15-10, 19:51
Anyone interested?

Desert Sportsman Rifle Pistol Club / Sat, Jun 19 / Meet 1100 at Pei wei / I plan on working the VTAC 1-5 drill (rifle / pistol), FAST drill, maybe the 10.8 test and some informal pistol shooting.

GU

victoriouslv
06-22-10, 01:51
Rocket, that 10.8 drill looks pretty decent... I just wanted to chime in and say hey to all the LV trigger pullers

MookNW
07-10-10, 15:45
Hey yall, I live in WA state , but have lots of fam in LV and Reno and would like to get my CCW for Nevada beacuse I'm there so often. Can anyone recommend a good place to test/qualify on the cheap and easy? This would most likely happen in LV, because I'm there more.
Side note: I currently carry an M&P9FS, but will likely get a M&P9C and a 1911 in the somewhat near future. Is there a place that you can rent guns that you wanna qualify with, as to not have to do it again?
Thanks-
MookNW

Irish
07-22-10, 18:06
I haven't been able to plan any training for myself due to work, buying a new house and having a million things to do lately. Hopefully here in the near future I'll get a little extra time and I'd really enjoy meeting up with some locals to practice some drills and show each other some pointers. I think this is pretty important for us NV permit holders. http://www.rcfp.org/newsitems/index.php?i=11482

Nevada's high court has ruled that the identities of concealed gun permit holders and records related to the permit's current status are public records under state law despite an exemption that makes the application for a permit confidential.

Though applications for a concealed-carry permit are exempt from disclosure under the Nevada Public Records Act, the court ruled on July 1 that the exemption did not include every detail related to a granted permit, including the name of the permit holder and whether or not the permit had been investigated, revoked or suspended. The court said the records could still be subject to redaction, however, if they contain confidential information otherwise exempt from disclosure such as information taken from the original permit application or the pre-permit investigation process.

“We conclude that the identity of the permittee of a concealed firearms permit, and any post-permit records of investigation, suspension or revocation, are not declared explicitly to be confidential,” wrote Justice James Hardesty in the unanimous opinion.

The case stemmed from a dispute between the Reno Gazette-Journal and the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office over whether records related to Nevada Gov. Jim Gibbons’ concealed firearms permit must be released under the state's open records law.

The Gazette-Journal in March 2008 requested records related to the governor’s gun permit after learning that it had allegedly been revoked based on inaccuracies in the application that he submitted. Sheriff Mike Haley denied the newspaper's request, claiming that the records were exempt under a provision in the state public records law that expressly designates concealed gun permit applications as confidential. When a lower court ruled that “the entirety of the post-application records” were exempt under the law, the newspaper appealed.

In overturning that decision, the high court relied heavily on the fact that “Nevada's concealed firearms statutes repeatedly recognize a difference between an applicant and a permittee,” and that the statute contains a presumption of openness, whereas exemptions must be construed narrowly.

“If the Legislature had intended post-application information about a permit's status to be confidential, it could and would have stated that, but it did not,” Hardesty wrote.

The court disagreed with the argument that all records related to a concealed firearms permit are necessarily confidential because they are derivative of the original application made private under the law.

“The Nevada Public Records Act addresses this situation and recognizes that public documents may contain confidential information,” Hardesty wrote. “In the event that public records contain confidential information, the Legislature has provided that the records should be redacted and the remaining document open to inspection.”

The high court sent the case back to the lower court and ordered it to redact the information considered private under the public records law -- including the confidential application material -- instead of denying access to every record related to the permit.

The official legal crap... http://www.leagle.com/unsecure/page.htm?shortname=innvco20100701202

applevalleyjoe
08-18-10, 15:38
I'm from the California desert but I'm up your way twice a month. Usually stay at Red Rocks and plan 3-4 day vacations around my stay there and shooting. Look forward to hooking up with you guys. Thanks for the info.

Irish
09-30-10, 11:39
Anybody interested in some very cheap carbine training from Delta guys out at Nellis? I'm cross-posting this with permission from Ron of Lock N Load Tactical, the new store from HDI (Henderson Defense), and thought some of the members here might be interested.

Hey folks... is there in any interest in a carbine and drill clinic? Some former military (bonafide Delta) operators and contractors will set aside a day to do an AR and AK training course at Camp Cobra training facility at Nellis Air Force Base. The cost is ONLY $45 per student and that includes chow. Don't let the price fool you because these guys are helping me out to promote our new store... Lock N Load Tactical.

This is a great class for somebody who has no experience with taking a training course as well as a great refresher for those that do. No need to feel intimidated and feel out-classed by others. If you don't have a carbine or ammo, we are working on putting rental packages together. Stop by our retail store for more information.

Date: 13 NOV 10

Time: 9:00am until 5:00pm

Course Content:

- Zeroing of the rifle

• 25 yard
• 50 yard
• 100 yard

- Weapons Handling

• Loading /unloading
• Tactical / Emergency reloads
• High/ low ready positions
• Weapon carry methods

- Shooting positions

• Kneeling/double kneeling
• Prone/VBSS prone/ supine /fetal
• Barricade /support barricade

- Fundamentals of marksmanship

- “Kit shake out drills”

Requirements:

• 300 rounds minimum of quality ammunition
• minimum of three hi-cap magazines
• eye and ear protection
• appropriate clothing
• sling
• open mind
• gloves and hat optional

Lock N Load Tactical
9340 S Eastern Avenue, Suite 104
Las Vegas, NV 89123
Phone: 360-GUNS (4867)

thanks,
Ron

This is from a private email as I was trying to gather more info before I posted it here... Tomorrow the registrations forms will be available.

The lead instructors will be Tyler Grey, Aaron Mauldin and Mike Perez. I don't have the names of the adjunct instructors yet.

Feel free to post it on M4C just let them know that the registration forms will be available tomorrow, 10/1, at Lock N Load and it's first come, first serve for a class of 40 students.

I haven't pulled any triggers in quite some time and it's simply due to family & work obligations. I'd definitely like to get started again and I think this might be a good way to get things kicked off if we can't get something arranged before hand.

Rider79
11-26-10, 05:17
Vegas Shooters is doing an informal shoot at Sloan, Saturday the 27th, I know its short notice, but we'll be there early around 9am, and there all day. The official title is the 7th annual Turkey Shoot.

Directions to the shooting area:

http://www.vegasshooters.com/forum/showthread.php?6-Directions-to-where-we-go-shooting

Info about the shoot:

http://www.vegasshooters.com/forum/showthread.php?564-Vegasshooters-7th-annual-

http://nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=14971

warnerd
12-09-10, 20:33
I would be really interested in joining you guys for some help and for fun, but there is a small problem... I'm only 17 and I don't hit 18 for a month. I live in the Henderson area (Valley Auto Mall), but I have my own car and AR-15. Would I able to participate shooting with you guys or am I too young even at 18?

Enoc
12-09-10, 23:35
I just found this thread. I'm on Nevadashooters as well and would be down for night shooting anytime. I try to get out and do night shoots at least once a month and or anytime it rains.

Unfortunately I couldn't make the Turkey shoot but post future dates and directions up here or Nevadashooters and I should be able to get there.
Thanks

Rider79
05-13-11, 18:08
Las Vegas and Southern NV members, weigh in on this thread if you're interested in having Jason Falla from Redback One in Vegas for quality training.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=76013

ROCKET20_GINSU
05-14-11, 19:40
I am interested, and I have a friend or two that may be interested as well.

GU

SaddleTramp
05-15-11, 01:08
+1 on bringing Jason to LV, I hit the linked thread and sent a PM both, no doubt we would be able to fill a class without any problem.

Vegas
05-15-11, 03:31
What level of course would this be? Basic carbine or something more intermediate. I am new to AR's so a basic training would be good for me.

Facejackets
06-16-11, 21:43
Sounds fun.

drrufo
07-31-11, 17:29
I am going to be in Vegas in Sept for a convention and I have a couple of questions for anyone in the Vegas area:

I am bringing my Glock 20 on the trip, any problem as long it is in the trunk while traveling, it is for security in the room. I'v had people banging on a motel room door late at night yelling for "LINDA". My wife is not Linda.

Also is there a gun store in the metro area that will not question me if I buy some 20 round magazines for my ar, I live in SoCal so I want to build up my stash.
Thanks

Irish
07-31-11, 17:41
I am bringing my Glock 20 on the trip, any problem as long it is in the trunk while traveling, it is for security in the room. I'v had people banging on a motel room door late at night yelling for "LINDA". My wife is not Linda.

Also is there a gun store in the metro area that will not question me if I buy some 20 round magazines for my ar, I live in SoCal so I want to build up my stash.

In Nevada it is not necessary to have your weapon in the trunk of your vehicle. It is perfectly legal for anyone, even without a permit, to carry a fully loaded weapon in their vehicle for their protection.

No gun store in this area will question where you're from just buying magazines that I'm aware of. Also, why buy 20 round mags when you can buy 30? Their website sucks but their store is one of the better stocked places with reasonable prices and relatively close to the Strip. http://www.locknloadgunstore.com/

drrufo
07-31-11, 20:54
I went to the store on Tropicana to look several years ago. I asked about the price on used 20 round magazines and the clerk said I needed to provide an ID if I wanted to buy them.

Facejackets
08-09-11, 01:23
I went to the store on Tropicana to look several years ago. I asked about the price on used 20 round magazines and the clerk said I needed to provide an ID if I wanted to buy them.
Check out Guns and Ammo Garage for mags. It is the closest store to the strip. Great guys too.

As for carrying the gun in the car, as said earlier, it is legal

2theXtreme
08-09-11, 23:33
Hells yeah bring Jason to Vegas! If I'm off I'm in!

Rider79
09-18-11, 20:40
Basic AR/AK training class at the Clark County Shooting Park with Chuck Burnett from Invictus Training.

Wed., 9/28, from 4pm to 9:30pm.

Cost, $80, round count, 100-200.

More info:

http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?p=212753&posted=1#post212753

Chuck is a great instructor, he did a private basic handgun/CCW class for some of my co-workers earlier this year. This is a good opportunity for those of us who work weekends.

Rider79
09-14-12, 15:32
Larry Vickers 1 day MP5 class in Vegas, October 18, 2012

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=112896

http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94_387&products_id=58512

pmarc
10-06-12, 16:41
Hi guys.

It has been a while since I last posted on M4C.

So, I will be in Vegas for a convention, probably staying in the Excalibur.
The event would be in the Mandalay Bay.

My questions:
1. What are the good/cheap ranges close by? Not sure if I'll be renting a car.
2. that begs the question: how safe/reliable is public transportation in LV?
3. Would anyone recommend a instructor/course or would like to introduce me to the more practical aspects of shooting?

Irish
10-06-12, 23:01
So, I will be in Vegas for a convention, probably staying in the Excalibur.
The event would be in the Mandalay Bay.

My questions:
1. What are the good/cheap ranges close by? Not sure if I'll be renting a car.
2. that begs the question: how safe/reliable is public transportation in LV?
3. Would anyone recommend a instructor/course or would like to introduce me to the more practical aspects of shooting?
What dates will you be here? I'm attending 2 classes, this weekend and next, and would be glad to hook you up with the info on the classes and ranges if you're interested in attending. It I can get some free time I'll take you shooting as well.

If you're staying by the Strip you don't need a rental car and will be wasting your money. Taxi and walking are good to go along with the monorail.

Bring me a Skol :)

pmarc
10-07-12, 13:11
What dates will you be here? I'm attending 2 classes, this weekend and next, and would be glad to hook you up with the info on the classes and ranges if you're interested in attending. It I can get some free time I'll take you shooting as well.

If you're staying by the Strip you don't need a rental car and will be wasting your money. Taxi and walking are good to go along with the monorail.

Bring me a Skol :)

Great, I just forgot to mention the dates. Humpf.

I'll be there from the 3rd to the 11th/November... Exact dates might vary depending if I can book one of the pre-convention courses.

Regarding courses and sutff, I guess a nice fundamental markmanship would be just the ticket. From all I know, there are few good instructors here, and there is no point in learning the HSLD stuff without a good foundation.
Also, since this is my first time around, I do not know how packed my schedule will be.

I appreciate you offer and advice. I'll see if I can get a six-pack... Maybe a nice cachaηa.

Irish
10-07-12, 23:45
I'll be there from the 3rd to the 11th/November... Exact dates might vary depending if I can book one of the pre-convention courses.

Regarding courses and sutff, I guess a nice fundamental markmanship would be just the ticket. From all I know, there are few good instructors here, and there is no point in learning the HSLD stuff without a good foundation.
Also, since this is my first time around, I do not know how packed my schedule will be.

Right now I don't know of any classes going on during those dates. However, if you have some free time I'd be happy to take you to the range and work on some basic drills with you if you'd like. Drop me a line as the time gets closer.

BTL BRN
10-18-12, 14:44
*Another Vegas resident checking in*

:cool:

Jojo66
11-09-12, 14:42
Hey I also live in Vegas and would be interested

Irish
11-20-12, 19:55
ECQC in Las Vegas https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=116796