PDA

View Full Version : S&W M52 magazine problem

tb-av
05-28-10, 13:52
I have a Model 52 that is in like new condition with 2 magazines.

Bought it out of an estate. Both magazines are stamped S&W on the base plate.

One works and one doesn't.

The one that does not function will load up and allow you to rack a round in no problem but then you still can't pull the trigger. It's as though the frame thinks the mag is not present.

The good magazine ( facing downrange ) has a about a 1/4" wide piece that the round rests on. On the left is a shoulder that is molded in and maybe 1/2" down. Same on right.

Now the one that doesn't work seems as though that 1/4" piece is actually two 1/8" pieces sandwiched together. The shoulder looks about the same but also has sort of tapered molding above that lower shoulder section. I can't see that it actually does anything. There is one on right side too. Perhaps just some re-enforcement.

At any rate, does anyone know of anything I can look for to determine what is wrong. Any measurements of the metal case. Just by eye everything looks to measure up identical but it's clear they are not the same manufacture.

I also don't know how to get the magazine apart. I can get the base plate and spring out but that other piece has sort of an axle that rides in the mag frame. I figured if I could switch those I would know if it's the mag or not.

TB

JimmyB62
05-28-10, 16:59
That gun is a bit of an oddball given that it's set up to shoot 38 spl wadcutters only. If it's like other Smith autos of that era it has a magazine disconnect which is supposed to stop the gun from firing without a magazine inserted. It sounds like the bad mag is not making contact thus preventing it from firing.

I couldn't quite tell from your post if you were aware of this so I apologize if I'm telling you what you already know.

I have a Model 52 that is in like new condition with 2 magazines.

Bought it out of an estate. Both magazines are stamped S&W on the base plate.

One works and one doesn't.

The one that does not function will load up and allow you to rack a round in no problem but then you still can't pull the trigger. It's as though the frame thinks the mag is not present.

The good magazine ( facing downrange ) has a about a 1/4" wide piece that the round rests on. On the left is a shoulder that is molded in and maybe 1/2" down. Same on right.

Now the one that doesn't work seems as though that 1/4" piece is actually two 1/8" pieces sandwiched together. The shoulder looks about the same but also has sort of tapered molding above that lower shoulder section. I can't see that it actually does anything. There is one on right side too. Perhaps just some re-enforcement.

At any rate, does anyone know of anything I can look for to determine what is wrong. Any measurements of the metal case. Just by eye everything looks to measure up identical but it's clear they are not the same manufacture.

I also don't know how to get the magazine apart. I can get the base plate and spring out but that other piece has sort of an axle that rides in the mag frame. I figured if I could switch those I would know if it's the mag or not.

TB

tb-av
05-28-10, 18:51
"It sounds like the bad mag is not making contact thus preventing it from firing. "

Yes, that's what I was trying to get across. I understand that part but I don't understand exactly which part of the magazine needs to make contact nor with what.

I bought it several years ago to shoot Bullseye with, but then stopped shooting. Now I want to use it again but get a bit frustrated loading only 5 shots at a time. Magazines for this thing are over $60 at Brownells.

I've heard they can be touchy. I would just like to get this working but have no idea exactly what I'm looking to see wrong between the two.

Thanks for the pointer though. Whatever it is I think is a very small thing because I can't readily see any difference and the other one functions flawlessly.

TB

TOrrock
05-28-10, 18:53
I'd call S&W and see if you can't send the bad mag in for replacement.

tb-av
05-28-10, 19:01
I just assumed they would want even more than Brownells. I guess it can't hurt to ask though.

I'll have to try that next week.

The more I've thought about this, it can't be that piece the rounds sit on because with a loaded mag that would be pushed down out of touch.

JimmyB62
05-28-10, 19:54
My recollection from my model 59 was that the front of the magazine about 4/5th's of the way up made contact with a tab in the mag well. If you field strip it then look in the magwell as you insert the magazine, you should see where the tab is and then you may be able to see a corresponding spot on the bad magazine which is causing the problem. I'm going from a 25 yr old memory here though. Anyway, sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

tb-av
05-28-10, 21:10
Actually I think you got me where I need to be.

It's not quite the same configuration but there is a piece that the slide pushes down on the top rear edge of the mag. In order to operate properly the defective mag needs to be just a shade lower. In other words that little lever gets pressed down by the slide but not able to push the mag down enough

In the side of the mag is a notch for the mag catch/release. I think that's the problem area.

I can release that mag but hold it in position just barely allowing it to move and it works. I think if I just lightly file the top edge of the notch it will allow that mag to sit just a hair lower and function properly.

I can't honestly say I can see this difference by lining things up with the good one but I can make it repeatedly work/fail just by letting it down that tiny distance.

I need to find a really fine file now but I am certain this will fix it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll post back after I work on it this weekend.

TB

willowofwisp
05-28-10, 22:36
Those guns are awesome...i really want one for shooting PPC..the magazines can be mod'd to carry 6 rounds too.

tb-av
05-31-10, 13:38
Well my theory turned out to be wrong. I think there is more to it than what I am able to see.

I've been able to get it to fire by tapping/squeezing trigger repeatedly and by moving the magazine and it all seems so random.

I guess I'll see what S&W has to say.

TB