PDA

View Full Version : J-Frames and CT Grips

Beat Trash
05-28-10, 14:40
I have read several threads in which many of you swear by the CT grips on your J-Frame revolvers.

I've been known to be hard headed and a slow learner. I am trying to correct this and need a little help.

For those of you who feel the CT grips are a "must have" item on your gun, which model of CT grip are you using?

The LG-105 seems smallest, but I think a switch would be nice to have?

The LG-305 seems a bit too big for pocket carry?

The LG-405 seems like it might be a nice compromise in size?

Does the grips catch when the gun is pocket carried?

When I do carry a J-frame (642) it is always in a pocket w/ a pocket holster. does the CT grips pose issues with pocket carry?

Is there anyone who tried CT grips, only to find they didn't work out for them?

Sam
05-28-10, 14:59
For those of you who feel the CT grips are a "must have" item on your gun, which model of CT grip are you using?

I use the 405

The LG-105 seems smallest, but I think a switch would be nice to have?

I never turn the switch off on my 405. I'm curious about the 105. It is the most affordable model.

The LG-305 seems a bit too big for pocket carry? Unless you have big pocket or carry in a holster. The 305 allows better grip, therefore more control over the little revolver. Also more comfortable when you're practicing.

The LG-405 seems like it might be a nice compromise in size? More concealable than the 305 but less grip area. May not fit those with very big hands. The extra rubber offer more comfort.

No.

When I do carry a J-frame (642) it is always in a pocket w/ a pocket holster. does the CT grips pose issues with pocket carry?

No.

Is there anyone who tried CT grips, only to find they didn't work out for them?

Me. One pair just wouldn't work out, I had to keep buying them for several handguns. :)

My first CT for the J frame was a model 205, it's been discontinued. It was a short, pudgy, hard plastic grips. Very uncomfortable to shoot and bulkier than the current models.

I also have CT from a 1911 and Beretta.

SeriousStudent
05-28-10, 15:00
I have the 405 model mounted on my 642. I like the length of the grips, and also prefer the small thin pad on the backstrap of the revolver.

I have not had an issue with the grip material catching on my pockets as I deploy the pistol. I carry in either a Desantis Superfly or RKBA pocket holster.

I have been happy with them, and plan to keep them.

Good luck to you, and stay safe.

rainman
05-28-10, 15:06
I use the LG405 on my J-frames, carried mostly in a Kramer pocket holster.

No issues at all with snagging, being too large, gripping, etc.

Old Navy cargo pants typically have deep front pockets that work well (note: check them, I've gotten some newer ones with much smaller pockets).

Have not tried the LG105 or LG305.

I like the switch when transporting in luggage...it's nice to know that nothing can bump the switch/drain the battery.

Overall the LG405s substantially improve my speed/hit probability, especially since my J-frames are older (pre-lock) and have standard fixed sights (versus the high-vis ones on the newer models)...especially nice on the M642 with stainless front sight (not so much contrast under most lighting conditions).

-Rainman

HeadHunter
05-28-10, 15:39
I have the 105 and the 405.

The 105 is almost too small in size. I had to put an inner tube strip around the switch to reliably depress it. The idea came from another user who had the same problem. Rubber fixes it.

The 405 is a very good all around size FOR MY HANDS. I have a friend whose hands are huge and he has to use the 305, but the Glock grip seems a bit small to him.

How do you know which is best for you? Pictures tell the story.

Here's my grip on a 105.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/HeadHunter_album/Snub%20Grips/LG-105.jpg

Let's put a number on it.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/HeadHunter_album/Snub%20Grips/LG-105opening.jpg
About 3/8 inch open space.

Here's my grip on a 405.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/HeadHunter_album/Snub%20Grips/LG-405.jpg

Let's put a number on it.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/HeadHunter_album/Snub%20Grips/LG-405opening.jpg
Over 3/4 inch open space.

Why is that important?

Here's the base of my left thumb.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/HeadHunter_album/Snub%20Grips/Baseofthumb.jpg
Let's say 1 inch wide.

Now, some of that thumb will squeeze into a smaller opening, but at some point it becomes a square peg/round hole situation, which is the case for me with the 105.

So what if the thumb doesn't go in the opening? Then, instead of the support hand having a frictional lock on the grip and a certain amount of camming action against the finger tips, what you have to lock your support hand in place is whatever friction you can create against the fingernails of the firing hand. That's not much.

HeadHunter
05-28-10, 15:44
Now let's talk about trigger reach.

Here's how my trigger finger ends up on the 105
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/HeadHunter_album/Snub%20Grips/105trigger.jpg

Here's how my trigger finger ends up on the 405
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/HeadHunter_album/Snub%20Grips/405trigger.jpg

Here are some index marks to compare the two.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/HeadHunter_album/Snub%20Grips/Fingermark.jpg

What does that mean?
Too much finger on the trigger increases the possibility of pushing the gun to the off side. It can be managed but you have to be aware of the issue.

I love shooting them but I do my best to set myself up for success. April Match Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yT2jHHKnG4).

Beat Trash
05-28-10, 16:02
Thanks for the reply's, especially Headhunter for your posts with the photo's.

It would seem the 405 seems to be the one to look into.

John_Wayne777
05-28-10, 16:19
Having used all the CT models, the 405's are the best, in my opinion. The 105's still work very well, however, if finances are a major concern. I use the 105's on my daily carried 442.

mike benedict
05-28-10, 16:27
I have a few pair of both 405s and 105s. I like the 105s real well for pocket carry. I put a 1" piece of bicycle inner tube around the grip as I have a difficult time lighting the laser. The 105s really need a better switch but the inner tube fixes the problem well.

J-frames are just made to have a Crimson Trace laser grip

Mike

dhrith
05-28-10, 16:33
Thanks for taking the time to make all those fitment pictures. I just converted my primary semi to a CT a while back and will be doing the snub shortly so this took care of any questions I imagine would have been popping up.

SmokeJumper
05-28-10, 16:46
I'm using the CT405 on a 442 for a BUG. The grips are nice, offer a little cushion for recoil, and great grip in the hand when drawing and firing. I find them to be a bit grippier than the standard Uncle Mikes grip that came from the factory on the S&W. As for pocket carry, no issues with the grip hanging up/catching in my pockets even on various fabrics-jeans, rip stop, cotton, canvas, etc. I always leave the switch on, it does not catch on things. I carry ankle and pocket, mostly ankle and have had zero issues. Wise addition to the J-frame in my opinion.

jsbcody
05-28-10, 17:21
I have the LG405 on a SW360PD. I like the compact size because I carry the revolver as a back up gun on my ankle. I can still get a good grip and I have no problems firing .38 +P rounds. I have and can fire .357 mags out of it, I just don't recommend going over 15 to 20 rounds per practice (You will feel it the next day or even right away!).

S500N
05-28-10, 23:53
When sighting in, I imagine the laser dot looks as if it is sitting on top of the front sight post. Am I correct in this? Also, is there a recommended/preferred distance to sight in at?

SeriousStudent
05-29-10, 10:19
When sighting in, I imagine the laser dot looks as if it is sitting on top of the front sight post. Am I correct in this? Also, is there a recommended/preferred distance to sight in at?

That is how mine is set as well - dot on the top of the front sight blade. I have the sights set at 50 feet. That would be the range where I would really need some help, and the laser pays off for me.

You may want to give the folks at Crimson Trace a call. They have a DVD they will send to you, that has a lot of very useful tips regarding their products. It's free upon request, I believe.

ETA: Found the link for the DVD - it is free.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/GetACatalog/tabid/265/Default.aspx

LHS
05-30-10, 16:29
I have a set of LG-405s on my 642. I find them to be extremely comfortable grips, and I'd use them even without the laser. The padding on the backstrap helps absorb recoil, while the sides are hard plastic so they won't catch in your pocket. I carry mine in a weak-side pocket holster and it doesn't hang up at all.

The laser helps a lot as well, though it does have its limitations (not good past about 10 yards in bright Arizona sunlight). Still, I feel far more comfortable with the laser than without.

Tennvol12345
05-30-10, 18:08
LG405's all the way, the recoil reducing pocket helps a bunch. Thanks to a close friend who works for CTC I've had a chance to shoot just about all the grips (as of 1/10). To my girly hands the difference in the 105 and 405 is noticeable.

DrMark
05-30-10, 21:36
Good thread.

I need to pick up a pair for my 442, and I've been trying to decide on the 105 vs 405.

Garandad
05-31-10, 08:58
Thanks for all the info. I have 105s on one of my Js and will try the 405s on another. Sounds like the 405s may mitigate some of the recoil sensation on the Scandium models.

RWK
06-01-10, 08:56
...which model of CT grip are you using?

I like the 405's.

Depending on the pockets, yes it can catch if the pockets are too tight.

No, not for pocket carry. Where they may pose a problem is if you decide to ankle carry on the right leg. Many ankle holsters aren't cut for CT grips on the inboard side.

ccoker
06-01-10, 09:23
I have the 105s
I have big hands but have no problem whatsoever shooting the 105s even with 135g and 158g +P ammo

I wanted the smallest grip for pocket carry and also liked the idea of not having the switch, one less thing to potentially fail.

I have not had any issues with them not activating.

tpd223
06-01-10, 19:45
I bought my 305s back when the 405 wasn't around.

I have pocket carried my 642s for years without issue, works for me.

I prefer the 305s when shooting due to the size (I have bigger hands) but I'm going to get a set of the 405s and try them out as they will likely give me a cleaner grip on the gun at speed when it's in the pocket.

I sighted mine in to be on top of the sights at the 25 yard line, this gives me the same off-set up close that everyone with CT grips has to deal with, but the ability to use the laser as far out as I will likely need it.

firecop019
06-02-10, 09:13
Same here, I bought the 305s because that was what was available at the time. My only problem is sometimes the longer grip gets hung up on the pocket of my uniform pants.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get the 405s or the new one from lasermax.

ROCKET20_GINSU
06-02-10, 13:41
I prefer the 405's, they feel great, work well for pocket carry and fit inside my mika pocket holster (which is very comfortable and easy to draw from btw). The 405s do not hang up or interfere with pocket carry in any way, I would go further and say that they should almost be a manditory upgrade for any CCW Jframe. I also like the master on and off as I practice mostly during the day and don't want to burn the batteries unnecessarily.

RWK hit the nail with the ankle holster comment, my alessi ankle holster does not fit well w/ my 405 installed.

GU

DocGKR
06-20-10, 11:19
We've got LG205's on older 342's and some LG405's on some newer 442's--the 205's are very small and easy to carry in pockets/ankle holsters, while the 405's are more comfortable to shoot. The 105's feel a bit small...

desertdisciple
09-05-10, 03:49
Mine are the LG-205 & are the smooth polymer/plastic
(which don't grab the fabric of my pocket, the way the newer rubberized model did)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd22/desertdisciple/Ministry%20Tools/dsc00886-1-1.jpg

tctlrld
09-05-10, 15:54
I use the LG105s on my 442. I think it makes a lot of sense on the 442/642 with the tiny notch sight. On a M&P 340 with that big dot not as important.

RyanB
09-06-10, 02:00
I have a 105 on my J and love it. I had the 305 before and while that was easy to shoot it hung up on everything. Hard polymer and short is the way to go. Maybe I would like the 405s too, haven't tried.