PDA

View Full Version : barrel life ? after moving gas port.

peabody
05-28-10, 20:08
hi.

i've sent my 16''CMMG mid-contour barrel to ADCO,

trim her down, get some weight off.

also move carbine gas, to mid-length gas,

so ? we'er plugging one hole n' drilling another.

other board guys are saying , that once you drill through the chrome, it'll pitt and flake, and barrel wont last.???

what you guys thoughts on this ?

peabody

Thomas M-4
05-28-10, 21:11
No difference the original gas port was drilled through the chrome lining it doesn't cause problems. The other one will be no different expect it will have less gas port erosion than the carbine gas port because it will be tapping the gas farther from the chamber = less pressure.

bkb0000
05-28-10, 21:11
accuracy will most likely not be effected. no, it will not "flake." the chrome is chemically bonded to the metal, not plated on like bumper chrome.

fear not.

MistWolf
05-28-10, 21:15
How much will the work cost you? It may cause the chrome to flake but if it doesn't have an adverse effect on performance it's pointless to worry. Then again, it may not flake at all.

It will allow you to try a new barrel profile & gas tube length without having to pay full price for a new barrel.

When was the original gas hole drilled? Before or after being chromed? If it was drilled after then it's too late to worry about flaking :cool:

peabody
05-28-10, 21:18
''fear not''

now that i like.:)

thank you for explaining that, well, shuck's looks like my dissy is still good to go,

me happy camper now.

peabody

peabody
05-28-10, 21:22
How much will the work cost you? It may cause the chrome to flake but if it doesn't have an adverse effect on performance it's pointless to worry. Then again, it may not flake at all.

It will allow you to try a new barrel profile & gas tube length without having to pay full price for a new barrel.

When was the original gas hole drilled? Before or after being chromed? If it was drilled after then it's too late to worry about flaking :cool:

before or after ? now that i'ed have no clue.
but if it was chemicaly applied, then no worries, ?

i would think ? just guessing, drilled after ?

peabody

bkb0000
05-28-10, 21:24
it was drilled after the lining, and again- it will not flake... it's not a "plating," it's a bonded lining. misty is incorrect.

peabody
05-28-10, 21:45
it was drilled after the lining, and again- it will not flake... it's not a "plating," it's a bonded lining. misty is incorrect.

:) thank you :)

MistWolf
05-30-10, 11:48
it was drilled after the lining, and again- it will not flake... it's not a "plating," it's a bonded lining. misty is incorrect.Never claimed it was plated or bonded. Wasn't sure it'd flake but I wasn't it wouldn't either. What I was trying to say is if the original hole was drilled after the plating, it's too late to worry about the new hole.

Plenty of of barrels are cut drilled after being chromed. Still it's good to have it confirmed it's nothing to worry about

Robb Jensen
05-30-10, 12:09
Call me weird but I would not bother moving a gas port I'd just get a new barrel.

peabody
05-30-10, 12:34
Call me weird but I would not bother moving a gas port I'd just get a new barrel.

your weird. :) :)

lol. naw, its just a barrel i had. it was a cmmg 16''mid-weight carbine gas.

i'm building a dissipator, but at the time that was the only barrel i could find, i really wanted a super lightweight middy gas barrel,
but couldn't find one.

so ? for 95 buck's...far cheaper than buying another barrel, thoughts i'ed try this.see if i like it.

on my other post ? maybe i should have went with a 16'' and rifle gas, opinions ? of others who have really worked with that set/up say they shoot fine, with the gas port openend up.

someday, when i get rich, i want a dissy n' rifle gas. dont know why ? or for any reason, i just do.ha :)

on the other hand, , i just love my mutt/clone sp-1, it shoots so soft n' smooth, i just love the bloody thing.

peabody