PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer coated steel rounds and/or just the regular steel cased ammo

cdj588
05-28-10, 20:22
Just bought my rifle and I wanted to know what yall think about shooting Lacquer coated steel rounds and/or just the regular steel cased ammo out of a chome lined rifle. When I say regular steel rounds Im talking abut the rounds that arent like greenish they just look like plain steel I dont know if there is a difference between these too. Anyway, I can get some Brown Bear Lacquer coated steel cased rounds for 4.49 a box.

So far all I have heard is the Lacquer coated steel rounds and regular steel rounds are really really really dirty and put a tough coating on barrals and that steel cased ammo eventually will break the extractor.

Brown bear: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM232-5.html
Regular steel: http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_in...oducts_id=99458

kmrtnsn
05-28-10, 20:24
I've been shooting a lot of the lacquered Hornady training ammunition without a single problem.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/1000rds-223-hornady-tap-training-55gr-fmj-ammo/cName/223-556-fmj-ammo

TOrrock
05-28-10, 20:25
I actually seek out lacquer coated steel cased ammo if I'm going to shoot Russian steel out of my Colt.

The lacquer has never given me issues, and I've gotten it damn hot. It also helps keep corrosion down on the case.

Hornaday specifically uses lacquer cases in their line of range TAP ammo.

jwperry
05-28-10, 20:27
Back when wolf was lacquer coated, I shot about 200 rounds through a friends AK. We loaded the rifle up, chambered a round and ate lunch. The lacquer hardened and the case wouldn't eject.

I'd suspect something similar would happen with an AR15, just don't get it hot and let it cool with a round chambered.

shadow65
05-28-10, 20:28
I've shot 1000's of rounds with steel cased. The only ones I every had stick are the Lacquer coated. I know the lacquer does not melt but I had one stick yesterday. I prefer the polymer coated.
Supposedly, the lacquer does not melt, even with a blow torch.
Both are dirty but work. Not great accuracy, but fine for plinking.
The steel cases do allow more crud to build up in the chamber, and can cause the case to stick.

Quib
05-28-10, 20:30
There are two types of steel cased ammo:

- Green lacquer coated.
- Grey polymer coated.

Either should be fine to shoot in your weapon. Your best bet to see if your weapon functions with steel cased ammo is to purchase a couple boxes and try it out.

As far as wearing out of the extractor goes, I have personally experienced this. After shooting about 3,000 rds of Wolf ammo, my weapon began having FTE's. A new extractor corrected the problem. A small price to pay for the savings.

m4fun
05-28-10, 20:32
You're opening the Wolf ammo debate - arg...

I imagine this will be relocated to the ammo forum.

Some folks will tell you that they heard their uncle had a friend who's son knew a guy who's rifle jammed with the laquer ammo or the steel cases were so hard they broke the extractor...

No doubt the laquer stuff leaves a residue - look at Wolf and they have their lines of ammo that are just steel. Its all dirty! If you are on a budget or have have some Class IIIs its an economical choice...Extractors are cheap and cleaning is a good thing to do.

In my opinion it all goes bang! Keep rifle lubed well and clean it - you should be good to go.

TOrrock
05-28-10, 20:42
Moved to the ammo forum.

You should do a search for steel cased ammo, Wolf ammo, etc.

This has been hashed and rehashed, and then hashed some more....