PDA

View Full Version : Good Location for AFG??

ucrt
05-28-10, 22:13
I like the Magpul AFG but I have standard USGI-type mid-length handguards. To mount the AFG, I added an aluminum 4" picatinny rail using 2 loctite'd screws. I've been experimenting with different locations on the rail and the pics below show what I like best...so far.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2gwf0ux.jpg

The AFG is very solid extending under the FSB like this. The clamp portion of the AFG is in the 2nd slot back from the end of the rail. With a lot of pressure, the overhanging end of the AFG will flex <1/8". I'm not worried about AFG breaking, it is very well constructed.

My question is, is this practical? I know this FSB area gets hot and I haven't burned myself - yet. But I would like some experienced opinions on this location.

Below are a few shots of how I hold the gun with the AFG in this location. This position feels comfortable and I feel like I have a good grip on the gun. I shoot pretty good (for an old man) but I don't want to start something that creates bad habits.

http://i46.tinypic.com/1568xu9.jpg

This position allows me to reach 2.5" - 3" further forward on the gun and helps me keep my wrist straight. To reach my light, I have to roll my grip a few degrees over the top. This kind of torques my wrist a little but I can easily reach the tailcap. Reaching the light, does force me to raise my elbow to about 45 degrees. I don't think it is ideal but using this handguard, I don't think I have a lot of options that will keep out of the way of my sling.

I'd appreciate any input, advice, critiques, etc.

Thanks!

Avenger29
05-28-10, 22:26
I think it's pretty much meant to be used as far out as possible.

I know I'm not happy with it mounted on my carbine length MOE handguards (it sits similarly placed to yours). I have not burned myself or had any problems yet, and I don't wear gloves.

I'm putting a Troy 13" free float rail on mine soon, and will be placing my AFG way out there at the end of it.

SpookyPistolero
05-28-10, 22:32
I've been considering adding an AFG to my OEm handguards as well, but haven't been able to make up my mind. If you run it much like that, please do post your experiences!

Heavy Metal
05-28-10, 22:34
That might be a bit too far. You might burn your thumb on the FSB.

BushmasterFanBoy
05-28-10, 22:36
Remember that the AFG doesn't function as a grip by itself, but rather adjusts the direction of your grip on the gun. It needs to come back so you can get your hand up on the gun without scorching your fingers on the FSB (with enough rounds through the gun, eventually it will happen, don't tempt fate) Also, if you're using the "theory based products" from Magpul, take a look at some other elements of their shooting style.

I find the afg feels like crap when I have my elbow bent low and my hand on the afg alone. Using that style, I can't obtain the same strong grip (and therefore control) of the gun as I can with a 'high-elbow' and 'thumb wrapped over the top' grip.

I see you're at least getting the thumb wrapped on the handguard, but it seems like you'd be able to get more purchase on the handguard with your palm if you come back a bit. As it is, you're actually putting a finger in front of the afg. I know its tempting to go out as far as possible, but the additional control by getting a better grip will trump the leverage gained by a few inches of grip extension, IMHO.

There's a great info thread on the AFG in the Magpul forum here, take a look at the publicity material they've put out and just give it a shot to mimic what they do, and try it with dry fire for target-to-target transitions to find your own personal sweet spot. The AFG really works best with a high-elbow stance in my opinion (and my times) and the guys who invented the product use that grip, so take that for what it's worth.

BWT
05-28-10, 22:53
Unfortunately... This kind of thing is what works for you. I would say shoot how is comfortable, and how you find yourself most effective.

I believe it's really a trial and error kind of thing.

That being said... If your finger you loop around the end of that AFG, or thumb or your wrist hits that FSB after you've been firing, I think you'll be moving that AFG back post haste.

I wish I could give you better advice, but I find I simply can't.

This is one of those things that you find what works for you, IMHO, you find a grip that works for you, and a shooting technique that works for you, your body and your mindset, etc

Kind of like stock positioning, there really isn't a perfect spot for everyone.

I have somewhat shorter arms, and a bigger upper body/thicker neck, it's hard for me to "get down on the gun". I find that I have to keep the stock at the 5th or 6th position back, because otherwise I start feeling strained or cramped, it doesn't feel like a position I can maintain well and provide consistent shots, also I find my head stays at the height of the iron sights much better further back on the stock rather than nose on the charging handle.

I find I wish the Iron Sights were higher, that I could hold the stock lower on my chest, to better control recoil, etc.

But, that's my body type.

Anyway, YMMV.

I'd say the best way to figure it out would be get out and shoot it, practice transitioning (if able) to a side arm, practice shooting around barriers, practice enabling and disabling the light, and see how well you like it.

I need to find somewhere I can get out and screw around with an AR. (By screw around I mean set up steel plates and shoot around boards, etc... I guess I'm going to have to break down and join a gun club.)

CarlosDJackal
05-28-10, 22:54
Place it where it's most comfortable and is optimizes the control for you. It meanss diddly where anyone else places theirs.

orionz06
05-28-10, 22:57
Place it where it's most comfortable and is optimizes the control for you. It meanss diddly where anyone else places theirs.

Exactly. Also remember that their stuff is designed for how they shoot, so it may not work for some people if they shoot differently.

BushmasterFanBoy
05-29-10, 00:27

I'd caveat this by taking the time to actually get some times with various techniques. If a particular style of shooting isn't your cup of tea, but lets you shoot faster and accurately, then I say go for it.

grunz
05-29-10, 02:24
There is a risk you are going to get burned with this setup when you don't expect it.

Try moving the AFG back a bit. You could also swap the light to the left side to switch it on/off with your left thumb - and it will keep your thumb away from the FSB.

ALCOAR
05-29-10, 04:09
I have had mine now for a few months and I have tried three or so locations.....each time going further out...with the last pic showing where I currently find myself having the most effectiveness with it....still has not quite beat out my long time fav. stubby though.
http://i40.tinypic.com/zxpcb7.jpg

Celt
05-29-10, 17:46
You need to be Far Out...

scottd907
05-30-10, 01:32
Bad habits lol you've already got one. It's about 36" or so and it goes bang. Doesn't stop eating is as bad as it gets.

scottd907
05-30-10, 01:39
Oops double

Pappabear
05-30-10, 05:08
I have had mine now for a few months and I have tried three or so locations.....each time going further out...with the last pic showing where I currently find myself having the most effectiveness with it....still has not quite beat out my long time fav. stubby though.
http://i40.tinypic.com/zxpcb7.jpg

Trident, awesome rig. Ive been running mine like this as well. Gives me good control.