PDA

View Full Version : Offset Red-dot mounts?

Bobert0989
05-29-10, 04:09
Who's running what and how did you do it? Pictures welcome.

I'm looking for the easiest way to run a high(er)-powered scope on a 20" build, but still have a run 'n gun option (IF it was ever needed) as well...

I know I've seen a few pics of different setups offset at about 1 o'clock or 2 o'clock positions (I would however prefer the 10 o'clock, personally).

Please help me out!

Thanks

Bobby

ALCOAR
05-29-10, 04:17
I own the DD 1 oclock mount but its not for me.....my current setup really is perfect for my needs, its the Larue LT-724 angled mount and T-1 combo. Its a very effective way to run your secondary setup....only problem is you cannot run anything besides the t/h-1s to my knowledge...maybe some of the clones will work but i am not sure.

Look at the Burkett off set mount as well, it seems to be nice.
http://i49.tinypic.com/2rc01mb.jpg

Bobert0989
05-29-10, 04:28
I own the DD 1 oclock mount but its not for me.....my current setup really is perfect for my needs, its the Larue LT-724 angled mount and T-1 combo. Its a very effective way to run your secondary setup....only problem is you cannot run anything besides the t/h-1s to my knowledge...maybe some of the clones will work but i am not sure.

Look at the Burkett off set mount as well, it seems to be nice.
http://i49.tinypic.com/2rc01mb.jpg

Thanks. That's what I'm looking for, but have you seen any running on the opposite side? Also, is the Micro really worth the money spent on something used ONLY in worst-case scenarios? Are there cheaper alternatives that are similar in dimensions/performance?

I appreciate the info. Checking out those mounts now.

Bobert0989
05-29-10, 04:47
http://cgi.ebay.com/45degree-Angled-Offset-Side-Rail-Scope-Accessory-Mount-/380230345858?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58877ea482

I know it's about as cheap as it gets, but can you really go wrong with one? As long as it's mounted firmly in place and your reflex sight is mounted firmly onto it, what would it hurt to use a cheaper piece of metal than a LT, per say?

Failure2Stop
05-29-10, 05:52
45 degrees is too much. The tricky part for manufacturers is finding the right angle.

Why the preference for left side? Are you left-handed? If not, I highly recommend a right side mount.

Alaskapopo
05-29-10, 08:58
I have tried the Larue 30 degree mount and the DD mount and much prefer the Larue mount. Its easier to pick up in a hurry. The DD mount forces you to cant the rifle more and bury your head into the stock as hard as you can.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Optics/Primaryarmscloseup.jpg
Larue

The only reason I still have a DD mount on my GAP is because the Larue mount with the red dot is blocked by the huge turrent on the 5.5-22 Nightforce.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Optics/PrimaryArmsreddot.jpg

YVK
05-29-10, 09:13
I use a DD unit, but I mount my Micro via KAC mount set-up at its shortest hight. When I cant the rifle, Micro is at almost exact height as a primary scope - I don't need to change my head's position at all.

trukreltrog
05-29-10, 10:06
Thanks. That's what I'm looking for, but have you seen any running on the opposite side? Also, is the Micro really worth the money spent on something used ONLY in worst-case scenarios? Are there cheaper alternatives that are similar in dimensions/performance?

I appreciate the info. Checking out those mounts now.

The LaRue should work on either side. I bought mine used, it was set up for a Lefty. I had to remove the H-1 and flip it around, cause I'm a Righty. :)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4485074410_b2a6d252bc.jpg

Bobert0989
05-29-10, 13:16
45 degrees is too much. The tricky part for manufacturers is finding the right angle.

Why the preference for left side? Are you left-handed? If not, I highly recommend a right side mount.

I was just thinking for a "run 'n gun" scenario, having it as close to my original line of sight as possible, where both-eyes open it's directly in font of my face. Not looking for a true zero option, per-say, but more as a general point-shoot option. No tilting the rifle, just pull it up, look past it, and shoot.

Am I thinking properly? I think the left hand 11 o'clock or so would be best for this reason. I'm using a BAD lever, so no worries about obstructing the battery device.

Am I way off base here?

Thanks for info and pics! Does anyone run one like I am looking for though? Maybe with a Doctor sight or similar?

~Bobby

bkb0000
05-29-10, 13:34
have you tried it with your weapon? it's kinda hard to cant the weapon wrist-out on a left side mount for a right-handed shooter- unstable and difficult, especially in a number of different shooting positions.... versus being really easy to cant the weapon to the left for a right-side mount for a right-handed shooter. sort of seems like it might also contribute to induced stove-pipes in the wrong position. try it with your weapon, and in a number of different positions.

and while your FoV will be limited with a right-side mount, you can still keep both eyes on target

JSantoro
05-29-10, 22:40
For a right-handed shooter, putting an offset optic mount to the left side seems like an awful lot of fighting one's own physiology for very little return. Fighting it to the point that you're missing those OH SHIT shots that you probably really want to make good on.

Also, it's possible to mount mini-RDSs on an offset mount: RMRs, Dr Optic, etc. I've always thought that the T1/H1 and it's analogues are oversized for application as an OH SHIT sight, while most of the mini-RDSs aren't robust enough to be used as a primary. That's not to say that they won't work, of course.

Bobert0989
05-30-10, 03:46
For a right-handed shooter, putting an offset optic mount to the left side seems like an awful lot of fighting one's own physiology for very little return. Fighting it to the point that you're missing those OH SHIT shots that you probably really want to make good on.

Also, it's possible to mount mini-RDSs on an offset mount: RMRs, Dr Optic, etc. I've always thought that the T1/H1 and it's analogues are oversized for application as an OH SHIT sight, while most of the RDSs aren't robust enough to be used as a primary. That's not to say that they won't work, of course.

That was my thinking on the T-1's... a lot of money and a somewhat bulky (for lack of a better word) in comparison to a much smaller Dr. sight.

And BKB, I have tried a few methods and positions, and I can see now why people are saying it's like fighting my own physiology. I believe that with some proper training, I could make good use of a sight at the 1 o'clock... My main reasoning behind my thought of placement came from the fact that when looking through my scope, my line of sight more naturally travels down the left side of the reciever/rifle than it does the right. It's on my right shoulder, therefore the right side of the rifle is on the outside of my body. Also, when moving with the rifle, the sight on the outside would be at greater risk of getting snagged or smacked up against something compared to being on the inside towards my body. Is my thought process way off base here? Should I just go with the right-hand mount and train with it like most all of you do?

Thanks again for the input. Have any of you tried reversing your offset's, and learning to shoot with it like that?

Also, what sizes of RD's would be ideal for this setup? Is a 2MOA too small/accurate for what I am needing? Should I go larger, such as a 4MOA or even larger?

Thanks

Bobby

Failure2Stop
05-31-10, 12:23
I tried a left-side mount thinking that I was really onto something noone else was clever enough to think of.
I was wrong.
The left side mount is the wrong way to go for righties.

Also, remember that if you are shooting any formalized competiton, having 2 optics will generally force you into "Open", something you might not want to do. I didn't, so I don't have one on my game gun.

Thy still have viability in the real world, and one more reason that the right side mount is better is that most proficient shooters have their light at 1030, which blocks the MRD.

I like the Trijicon RMR. I think mine is the 4 MOA one. It's pretty robust, but that robustness is somewhat compromised due to the mounting methods on the market right now. I am hoping that Larue will release his T1 offset mount with a mounting base for the RMR.

Bobert0989
05-31-10, 21:18
I tried a left-side mount thinking that I was really onto something noone else was clever enough to think of.
I was wrong.
The left side mount is the wrong way to go for righties.

Also, remember that if you are shooting any formalized competiton, having 2 optics will generally force you into "Open", something you might not want to do. I didn't, so I don't have one on my game gun.

Thy still have viability in the real world, and one more reason that the right side mount is better is that most proficient shooters have their light at 1030, which blocks the MRD.

I like the Trijicon RMR. I think mine is the 4 MOA one. It's pretty robust, but that robustness is somewhat compromised due to the mounting methods on the market right now. I am hoping that Larue will release his T1 offset mount with a mounting base for the RMR.

I appreciate the input, but two thing sstick pout here to me... I won't be competing with this rifle, and will not be using a light mounted up-front.

Did you actually use the left-side mount at all or did you just write it off from the beginning?

Thanks

Bobby

JSantoro
05-31-10, 22:39
That last is only a very mildly fair question, and that's based on not taking in the innernets at face value. As it is, you won't get too many IPs/SMEs here that will pull a Vizzini and scream "Inconcievable!!" at you unless the concept in question has distinct, verifiable trends that render it wrong/user-unfriendly/too pricey to be worthwhile/what have you. More simply, That Thing has been tried and found wanting, which in no way is that to mean that you can't make it work for you, it's just not what jives for the 90% of the population.

If you're not worried about competition (of which making the simplest movements possible IOT prevail in a Shit's Goin' Down situation could be said to represent the ultimate form thereof), then run your gun the way you want to if you are getting what you consider good results. Results are all that matter.

To get those good results, I think you'll have to be a Cirque de Soliel contortionist to not have to needlessly muscle the thing into position. Yes, I've tried to use a southpaw's gun set up that way, and it was just ducky for weak-side shooting and bloody annoying for my dominant (right) side. Maybe your wrists are double-jointed or on balls like the old GI JOE dolls; I dunno. I'd never do it, but you ain't me, nor is F2S.

I think you're going against your body's grain, unless you're left-eye dominant, in which case it makes a certain sense. Nobody has yet said that it's outside the bounds of possibility.

Look at it like others are asking questions that they hope you can answer for them. Give it a try, and kick some feedback. More info is good info.

Bobert0989
05-31-10, 23:35
Look at it like others are asking questions that they hope you can answer for them. Give it a try, and kick some feedback. More info is good info.

Will do. Once it's all said and done, I'll let you people know exactly how well I like whichever way I decide to run it.

But I'm still having a rough time choosing an optic to stick out there. I saw one setup when google-ing offset red dot setups, looked like a standard Dr. at about the 0130 position... but worried me that it would be more likey to become damaged (or inoperable) than say, a full bodied T-1 or H-1 (Both are higher in cost than I'm wanting to go right now)... should I try some cheaper options or even clones, just to see if that's going to work for me before investing so much in a sight?

Thanks again for all of you guys' help.

Regards

Bobby

ALCOAR
06-01-10, 12:48
Will do. Once it's all said and done, I'll let you people know exactly how well I like whichever way I decide to run it.

But I'm still having a rough time choosing an optic to stick out there. I saw one setup when google-ing offset red dot setups, looked like a standard Dr. at about the 0130 position... but worried me that it would be more likey to become damaged (or inoperable) than say, a full bodied T-1 or H-1 (Both are higher in cost than I'm wanting to go right now)... should I try some cheaper options or even clones, just to see if that's going to work for me before investing so much in a sight?

Thanks again for all of you guys' help.

Regards

Bobby

TNVC designed this unit directly of training and such so maybe it is something you should look at.
http://tnvc.com/items/weapon_optics/rdpII.html

Failure2Stop
06-01-10, 19:05
I appreciate the input, but two thing sstick pout here to me... I won't be competing with this rifle, and will not be using a light mounted up-front.

Did you actually use the left-side mount at all or did you just write it off from the beginning?

Yeah, I tried it out for a while.
I found that the left side mount was not working for the following reasons:
More vision blocked by the primary optic than when placed on the right side
Interference with 1030 light (moot for other locations)
Snagged on/bouncing off gear
Worse firing position than a sight inward roll
-I haven't done it that way for over a year, so some other points may have been forgotten.

Like Mr. Santoro pointed out, it might work for you, but you would be an anomaly, and I would highly recommend trying both sides with an open mind with the goal of being as effective as possible. But hey, it's up to you.

JSantoro
06-01-10, 20:36
If he DOES turn out to be an anomaly, of course we'll have to dissect his brain...

:eek:

Bobert0989
06-01-10, 23:04
If he DOES turn out to be an anomaly, of course we'll have to dissect his brain...

:eek:

Sorry, NC-State got the highest bid in for that one... lol.

Bobert0989
06-01-10, 23:07
TNVC designed this unit directly of training and such so maybe it is something you should look at.
http://tnvc.com/items/weapon_optics/rdpII.html

Thanks! That's exactly what I had in mind... but didn't want to buy "crap"... just inexpensive. That sounds better, right? ;)

ALCOAR
06-02-10, 13:06
Thanks! That's exactly what I had in mind... but didn't want to buy "crap"... just inexpensive. That sounds better, right? ;)

That is about what I think these units were designed for.....something that might not survive a direct fall on the unit itself, but most things short of that should not kill the unit.

Lots of good feedback on that particular unit over at the other forum....and I also forgot to mention you should look at running a SAR-3p...and TNVC makes those as well.
http://tnvc.com/items/weapon_moounts_rings/sar3ps.html

Failure2Stop
06-02-10, 14:27
Lots of good feedback on that particular unit over at the other forum....and I also forgot to mention you should look at running a SAR-3p...and TNVC makes those as well.
http://tnvc.com/items/weapon_moounts_rings/sar3ps.html

Just be aware that adjustments of the MRD can be a little funky since the optic is rotated around the axis of the optic and not the axis of the barrel. It isn't anything that can't be worked out, but it can make for some "special" moments while zeroing.

ALCOAR
06-02-10, 14:59
Just be aware that adjustments of the MRD can be a little funky since the optic is rotated around the axis of the optic and not the axis of the barrel. It isn't anything that can't be worked out, but it can make for some "special" moments while zeroing.

I agree in generally that when first trying out these secondary mrd's it can be a lil testy and funky til you work through the growing pains....i think at the end of the day these setups are highly unique to the end user and just a shade off here and there can make the diff. in liking or disliking them.

Boss Hogg
06-02-10, 16:11
I got to handle Burkett's AR that had a Trijicon RMR in his offset mount. It rocked. Hard.

The nice thing is that you don't have to break your cheek weld like you do for a RDS that's piggybacked on an ACOG.

Bobert0989
06-03-10, 03:23
Thanks to all for your inputs and opinions. As soon as the funds allow, I'll finish out my 20" and throw one of these on there. I'll report back on how right or wrong my initial thoughts were for my particular needs.

~Bobby