PDA

View Full Version : How to place dimple for lo-pro GB?

SuicideHz
05-21-07, 21:38
If I have a barrel that I want to put a low profile Vltor GB or similar on, how do I locate the spot for drilling a dimple?

Thanks!

fivepointoh
05-21-07, 22:55
My guess (and only my guess as my only dealing w/ a lo pro GB is shaving down a FSB) would be to get the GB and then mark w/ a punch where the hole is located for the set screw to go into the barrel. Then remove the GB and drill your little dimple. As I said that would be my guess but I'm sure it's not correct. :p

AR15barrels
05-22-07, 02:36
It should be 180 degrees from the gas port.
The gas port is usually 0.295" from the step at the rear of the gas block seat, but measure your specific barrel and just match the distance to the gas port distance.

As for getting it perfectly bottom dead center on the barrel, a quick and dirty way is to clamp the whole upper in the mill vise with the flattop flat relative to the mill table.

That way you know that you have the barrel perfectly upside down to drill the detent.
Then the gas block ends up perfectly upright.

I charge $10 for a detent job if anyone needs it done right.

SuicideHz
05-22-07, 18:50
Ok, let me elaborate-

How do you do this with a vice and drill or drill press ???

I know the dimples go 180d opposite the port but thanks for the distance from the step.

I was hoping for an intuitive way of centering the barrel in a vice clamp in my DP and also getting it 180d off the port...

Do low profile GBs usually cover both FSB holes?

AR15barrels
05-22-07, 19:27
Just eyeball the gas block straight on the barrel.
Tighten the rear setscrew really tight.
It should be a cup-point setscrew so it will leave a ring impression on the barrel.
Remove the gas block.
Center punch the center of the ring.
When you drill the detent, just drill into the center punch mark.

Without a mill, that's the best idea I can give you...

And no more talk of dimpling.
You are talking about a detent.

After finishing this today, I am sick of dimpling...

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/dimples.jpg

Robb Jensen
05-22-07, 19:40
The way I've been doing it lately it to make a sacrificial gas block of the same brand and model of the one you plan on using. My favorite lately is VLTOR. I have one that I cut the top off of it so that I can see the gas port in the block. I install the sacrificial block on the barrel and tighten down the rear screw very tightly after confirming the gas port in the gas block is centered side-to-side and front-to-back on the barrels gas port. Then I drill a dimple through the front set screws hole. Remove the sacrificial gas block and install the real gas block. Usually I only dimple one (the front) and then use red Loc-Tite or Rocksett on the set screws. Dimpling both holes causes (since I don't have a drill press) the two set screws to fight each other causing the block to sometimes move.

SuicideHz
05-22-07, 20:04
Aren't detents more like cylindrical depressions, straight walled? Or actually, when thinking of a ball bearing detent, something that is made to catch?

I have been calling it dimpling because I plan on only having a dimple in the end!

Will I be drilling deeper than that?

My WOA from ADCO only had a dimple really.

I had a lot of problems lining that little bugger up after taking it off once- set screw FSB and all...

I'm worried that I'll remove the BCM standard FSB and ruin a perfectly good and 100% reliable upper if I don't get it perfect.

I may just be cutting off the FSB.

Will an Vltor cover stock FSB pin holes?

GotM4- your idea is very good and if I were to do this with several barrels, I may think about doing it. In all actuality, what I'D personally do is get an aluminum block, 1"x1" or so and 1" long bored out to the barrel OD and drill a hole through it the correct distance from one end the size of the gas port. I'd slip it over the barrel and install a temporary pin to hold the block in place. Then I'd drill a tiny pilot hole through the hole on the opposite side, locating a perfect 180d offset hole.

But I don't have a block of aluminum or a 3/4" drill bit ;)

AR15barrels
05-22-07, 20:25
Aren't detents more like cylindrical depressions, straight walled? Or actually, when thinking of a ball bearing detent, something that is made to catch?

A detent is simple a small depression designed for something to catch in it.
It could also be the 'something' such as the case of the takedown and pivot pin detents.

In the case of a gas block, you only need to drill a 0.150" diameter hole that's JUST deep enough to have the whole front end of the drill bit cutting.
You don't need to drill deep enough to end up with straight sides to the hole.

If you want it perfect, pay someone else that you trust more than yourself to do it and quit worrying about it.

SuicideHz
05-22-07, 20:30
Well I installed a Dawson rail on my SA Loaded and built an underfolder so I ought to just quit worrying.

But, the important question still remains-

What will cover those FSB pin holes?

AR15barrels
05-22-07, 21:04
What will cover those FSB pin holes?

LaRue, Samson and MI all make low profile gas blocks that cover the pin holes in the barrel.

SuicideHz
05-22-07, 22:17
Ok. So an Vltor won't. I think I'm just going to cut the FSB and get a 10" DD to fully cover it.

rob_s
05-23-07, 03:44
FWIW I'm a big fan of cut down FSBs if you can make them work. I believe that re-using the taper pins is much better than any amount of dimpling/detenting/set-screwing.

Robb Jensen
05-23-07, 06:00
FWIW I'm a big fan of cut down FSBs if you can make them work. I believe that re-using the taper pins is much better than any amount of dimpling/detenting/set-screwing.

I agree a pinned gas block is the absolute best. Sometimes it's pretty hard to grind them down far enough to fit under certain rails (LaRue and DD Lite), in situations is when I use a VLTOR gas block.

I've repaired 2 S&W Tacticals where the factory low profile gas block wasn't dimpled and moved.

rob_s
05-23-07, 06:49
That's one of the chief reasons I use the standard DD rails.

I'm actually about to start grinding on a FSB shortly. It pains me a bit as it's an "F" fitted to the barrel but I can't get the 9.5 FSP to do what I want it to so I don't have much choice.:mad:

SuicideHz
05-23-07, 07:15
Alright, I'll be grinding the standard FSB.

I planned on using a Troy MRFM (? the midlength) but will probably use a DD 10.0 or 9.0"

rob_s
05-23-07, 07:21
Alright, I'll be grinding the standard FSB.

I planned on using a Troy MRFM (? the midlength) but will probably use a DD 10.0 or 9.0"

I like the 9.0 because it stops almost dead even with the front of the FSB.

Robb Jensen
05-23-07, 07:59
And no more talk of dimpling.
You are talking about a detent.

After finishing this today, I am sick of dimpling...

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/dimples.jpg

That looks a lot like work I've seen from KAC. What's something like that cost Randall?

That's one of the chief reasons I use the standard DD rails.

I'm actually about to start grinding on a FSB shortly. It pains me a bit as it's an "F" fitted to the barrel but I can't get the 9.5 FSP to do what I want it to so I don't have much choice.:mad:

That's what I did on my wifes and my 3gun uppers. I cut the top off of them and ground them down, cleaned them up with a belt sander then sandblasted them and finished them in satin Moly GunKote. They came out pretty nice looking. I wanted these as reliable as any 'fighting' rifle and neither has given us any trouble whatsoever.

rob_s
05-23-07, 10:13
My 1A carbine is set up that way with a DD9.0 over the top of it. ADCO did the work for me on that one. I'm going to attempt this one myself.

AR15barrels
05-23-07, 18:31
That looks a lot like work I've seen from KAC. What's something like that cost Randall?

I don't ever want to do one again.
At least not until I can get a CNC machine to do it for me.
There are 224 dimples there.
All were hand-cut on the bridgeport with a carbide ball endmill.
I did that one (my first) for $200, but I would have to charge at least $300 in the future.

altav
05-23-07, 18:53

rob_s
05-23-07, 18:57
Is there some advantage to the dimpling over fluting?

altav
05-23-07, 19:08
Is there some advantage to the dimpling over fluting?

KAC says that its main advantage over fluting is that dimples do not reduce a barrel's rigidity as much as fluting does. It also supposed to dissipate heat better.

SuicideHz
05-23-07, 20:00
picture the outer surface of the barrel unrolled into a sheet.

Fluted barrels would look like a piece of sheet steel with slots cut all the way down the length, evenly spaced.

Dimpled barrels would look like my keyboard tray- a piece of sheet steel with lightening holes all through it but it won't sag or bend or twist like it would had it long slits in it.

Make any sense? It does in my head but then again I have more than one voice to explain it to me!!

Let me see a picture of your gas block under 9.0 Rob!

fivepointoh
05-23-07, 23:32
Joe

Here's a FSB that I have been working on (not fun when I'm at school and all I have is a dremel and have to hold the FSB w/ my hand). It needs to be painted.

It's for a carbine setup that will be going under a DD 12.0 on a 14.5" barrel.

It's lookin okay so far. :p

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n226/muhtalicbloo/IMG_1322.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n226/muhtalicbloo/IMG_1324.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n226/muhtalicbloo/IMG_1325.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n226/muhtalicbloo/IMG_1326.jpg

SuicideHz
05-24-07, 19:42
You've had to cut THAT much off to get it to fit so far? Wow.

I ordered my DD 10.0 from Steve already.

Maybe I'll just pull the FSB and replace it with a cheap one so as not to destroy that one.

Ameetec has a nice looking one for cheap- $40.

Samsons are nice but $67.

I'm thinking I may grow tired of the covered GB and want to go back to having a standard FSB one day. If I cut this thing that will NEVER happen!

fivepointoh
05-24-07, 22:17
I don't have the rail yet. I should have it tomorrow though. I just wanted to make sure I had plenty removed so I wouldn't have to go back a 2nd time. :D

I have a DD 7.0 so I was basing how much to shave off by looking at my rail mounted on one of my uppers :p

SuicideHz
05-24-07, 22:46
I did the same sort of looking...

I've decided to go with a low profile that Ameetec Arms sells for $40. That way, I can put the stock FSB back on later if I change my mind.

fivepointoh
05-24-07, 23:09
Cool. I'm sure you'll be happy w/ it.

Only reason I decided to shave a FSB is b/c I already had one and it came off the barrel I'm using. Also between buying the 12.0 rail (granted it's NIB but not from DD) I got a hell of a deal...yet pricey. Also I'm getting ready to splurge on the GRSC optic, BCG, Larue SPR-E mount, and Troy BUIS. Oh and get my 5C2 perm. attached so I'm cutting corners (safely) where I can. :D