PDA

View Full Version : Do Black Rifle tastes break down on a regional level?

emfourbinator
05-29-10, 11:40
Just kinda wondering about this, with the exploding popularity of our favorite weapons platform. I would
take a wild guess and say that with wide open spaces in the west, you'd see more 20 inchers and such.
OTOH, that may only be the case with EBR hunters. I live in western Pa., but have a real mix of AR's,
thus far. Any thoughts or observations, as the AR culture continues to evolve.

The_War_Wagon
05-29-10, 12:19
You called it , brudda. Being in DA' 'Burgh, ALL my AR's are set up for CQB.

orionz06
05-29-10, 12:30
I have no need for a 20" gun and more of a need for an SBR. I currently run a 16", gonna get a 10.5" and a 18" before anything longer, but training has taken priority.

JeepDriver
05-29-10, 16:06
My location in central Maryland influenced my decision to build a SBR as a primary rifle. In the area I live the defensive distances would all be well with in the 11.5's capabilities.

I have many other lengths, and my back up rifle is a 16" Recce. That too was chosen carefully with area in mind.

smullen
05-29-10, 16:15
How about some of each...

Build one, then later build another...

jklaughrey
05-29-10, 16:53
I would say for the most part this is more based upon background and service/duty influence than anything. I run a 16 and a 12.5 for cqb duty. Am starting a 10.5 build very soon. As far as range past 300-500 m I prefer a bolt gun 308 remington. Hunting is a 375 h&h magnum.

jaygee
06-02-10, 16:41
Running a pretty mixed bag myself, with a majority being 16", then some 14.5", and even a 11.5". Still have
room for a few twenties as well. I suspect that is one reason the platform is so popular.....I mean, geez,
you can do nearly anything with it!

GermanSynergy
06-20-10, 20:53
All of my AR's are 16" Mid length "Recce" types, along with two 18" MK12 clones and a 20" Super SAM.

I know Maryland is a Class III friendly state (go figure), but I have not gotten around to doing the paperwork for an SBR or can.

After August, I'm leaving the Free State anyways to greener pastures. :cool:

m1a_scoutguy
06-21-10, 00:31
I'm Central NY and I have 3 ARs & all 3 are different. I have 1,16 inch Carbine,1,18 inch Mid & 1, 14.5 inch also with a Mid gas system. A little bit of everything !!! I think about a 20 Inch NM AR,,,but haven't got around to building it,,"yet" ;) Being in a Evil State,,,I keep all my Stocks A1,,I like them,,they feel & balance well for me & it helps when I'm at the range or shooting,,,my grip and cheek weld are pretty much the same on all 3 !!:)

usmc6177
07-22-10, 21:47
I am in the Southern Tier of NY and I run a 16 inch and an 18 inch. The 16 is set up with a Red dot and I am currently shopping for some good medium range glass for the 18. 16 is a 6920 upper and the 18 inch is a Vltor VIS 2A with a stag barrel. Looking to expand the herd as funds allow to include a 14.5 with a pinned FSC 556.

independentrider1
07-22-10, 22:46
I run what I like and what works for me. I dont really care what everyone else says I should have.

The_War_Wagon
07-23-10, 07:43
After August, I'm leaving the Free State anyways to greener pastures. :cool:

PA? :D

smullen
07-24-10, 22:36
Just kinda wondering about this, with the exploding popularity of our favorite weapons platform. I would
take a wild guess and say that with wide open spaces in the west, you'd see more 20 inchers and such.
OTOH, that may only be the case with EBR hunters. I live in western Pa., but have a real mix of AR's,
thus far. Any thoughts or observations, as the AR culture continues to evolve.

I would say it depends on 2 things...

1 What your states gun laws are like/allow
2. What forums you frequent. On forum 1, Vender A is the only way to go, forum 2, Vender C is clearly the way, and etc etc....

Before its over I'll have 16" 18" and 20" in various styles and from a few vendors that I like...

I'd like to build an SBR, but I really don't want to deal with the ATF or the registration/Paperwork/Additionl tax and costs to get one legally... Same with suppressed...

tampam4
07-24-10, 22:56
FWIW (For What It's Worth)....Those reasons are spoken by people over and over again who have never done it before. I have yet to hear of a person that regretted either getting an SBR or a suppressor. If done right, you will be very pleasantly surprised if you feel like you could benefit from SBR'ing/suppressors.

I'd like to build an SBR, but I really don't want to deal with the ATF or the registration/Paperwork/Additionl tax and costs to get one legally... Same with suppressed...

motorwerks
07-24-10, 23:49
LOL I'm way out west in California and I have 2@20 inch, and 2@16 :p

smullen
07-25-10, 13:43
FWIW (For What It's Worth)....Those reasons are spoken by people over and over again who have never done it before. I have yet to hear of a person that regretted either getting an SBR or a suppressor. If done right, you will be very pleasantly surprised if you feel like you could benefit from SBR'ing/suppressors.

Eh, I don't think I could really benifit much from the SBR other than the coolness factor... I'm not MIL or LE, I just go to the range as much as possible, a little hunting and local shoots when I can...

I do think the suppresser would be nice for obvious reasons...
Although I think you would still need to wear ears when shooting, especially if someone else is shooting next too you...

I'm sure eventually, I'll be going down the path of the SBR and or Suppressor... One of the local guys that sells all kinda good stuff and machines quite a bit has me looking at a YHM setup, that would fit on my AR and my Remington 700, so I could swap if from rifle to rifle...

TehLlama
07-25-10, 15:34
I live close to wide open desert washes, in a rather arid climate, so all but my SBR have zoom optics, and everything gets FDE furniture or tan krylon.

Alex V
07-29-10, 13:37
Living in NJ I have a 14.5w/permed brake and am building a 18" SPR clone.

I think of the 14.5" gun as my primary home defence weapon. For that reason I only with I could have an SBR, probobly an 11.5" but alas, I have to wait until I move out of the state.

When the 18" gun is finished, I will more than likely not build another until I can have an SBR. That way I can have a Small, Medium and Large. Maybe a 20" some years down the road to have a XL lol.

Icedaddy56
07-29-10, 16:15
I have four of the Black Beauties. Three set up for CQB 16". Two carbines and one midlenth. I have one 20" national Match set up for sniper work.