PDA

View Full Version : Springfield EMP

sjohnny
05-29-10, 13:54
Does anyone have any experience with these? I haven't seen much about them and am looking for information regarding reliability, comfort, etc. My father-in-law is considering one for concealed carry.

Thanks.

Assy Mcgee
05-29-10, 14:12
i have the EMP40. it's dead reliable, and fun to shoot. i figured if i was only going to have 8 or 9 rounds at my immediate disposal, i'd rather it be 40cal, than 9mm. (it's not +p rated, although some people to fire +p 9mm through it). the 40cal balances better for me, with it's steel frame (the 9mm is alloy).

here it is:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/champop1911/Pic4145035.jpg

epete
05-29-10, 14:23
I have one that I purchased for concealed carry. It had some pretty serious issues right out of the gate. It would fail to feed both ball (~20%) and hollow points (~80%). This was mostly due to a poorly fit firing pin stop that would allow about 1/8" of vertical play of the extractor.

Springfield issued a call tag and repaired the pistol. This took about a month. They replaced the firing pin stop and polished both the feed ramp and chamber. The pistol now works as it should. However, my confidence in it is shot.

I know of a bunch of EMP's that ran right out of the box, but there are quite a few that don't.

There if a wealth of information about them in the Springfield section at 1911forum.com.

Assy Mcgee
05-29-10, 14:49
I know of a bunch of EMP's that ran right out of the box, but there are quite a few that don't.

i've noticed that the overwhelming majority of issues seem to occur with the 9mm emp's. although SA will fix it, no prob.

epete
05-29-10, 14:54
i've noticed that the overwhelming majority of issues seem to occur with the 9mm emp's. although SA will fix it, no prob.

Could be, mine is a 9mm.

sevin8nin
05-29-10, 15:21
I had an EMP 9mm for a couple years. Never had a problem with it. More accurate than me, very light and with a nice IWB holster it's like it wasn't even there.
I ended up selling it because every time i'd go to carry it, i'd just end up carrying my S&W 1911 commander because it's pretty light as well, and for some reason i always shot it well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/b0b0o7o7/stuff/sub/DSC00177.jpg

GotAmmo
05-29-10, 15:27
I have one that I purchased for concealed carry. It had some pretty serious issues right out of the gate. It would fail to feed both ball (~20%) and hollow points (~80%). This was mostly due to a poorly fit firing pin stop that would allow about 1/8" of vertical play of the extractor.

this is the common complaint ive seen online about them. I wanted to add the EMP to my wishlist but too many negative reviews for me, but i do like springfield armory

Business_Casual
05-29-10, 17:35
Seriously? An EMP?

B_C

sjohnny
05-29-10, 17:59
Thanks for the responses. He's actually looking at the 9mm.

Seriously? An EMP?

Yeah, seriously.

Business_Casual
05-29-10, 21:09
It strikes me as the kind of pistol carried by someone who isn't serious about carrying a pistol.

Buy a Glock or a P30 or an M&P; much more durable and you can get several times the number of practice rounds through one. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

B_C

opmike
05-29-10, 21:32
It's the kind of pistol carried by someone who isn't serious about carrying a pistol.

What does it mean for one to be "serious about carrying a pistol"?

Business_Casual
05-29-10, 21:43
What does it mean for one to be "serious about carrying a pistol"?

Clearly nothing. Rock on, daddy-o!

B_C

Assy Mcgee
05-29-10, 21:49
Clearly nothing. Rock on, daddy-o!

B_C

very clearly.

signal4l
05-29-10, 22:11
Pistolsmith John Harrison thinks highly enouhg of the EMP 9mm to have built one as a gift to his daughter:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/HG_echnaceEMP_200909/

Magsz
05-29-10, 22:55
I think what BC is trying to say is that for the most part, the gun is a novelty.

What does it offer the user that a G26, G19 or S&W M&P9C doesnt already?

The M&P's are offered with a thumb safety, similar ergos, bigger magwells and a much simpler mechanism. They're lighter, cheaper and have a wider variety of parts available.

Having said all of this...the EMP is my dream pistol and i am curiously attracted to it but will probably NEVER buy one simply because there is no practical reason to buy one to carry over my 9c.

The only justifiable excuse that i have is that its a 1911 platform which means its very slim and most likely very easy to carry.

If money were no object and i could somehow prove the reliability of the platform i would run one in a farkin HEARTBEAT, im in love with the pistol but i cant justify the purchase for all of the above reasons.

Assy Mcgee
05-29-10, 23:01
I think what BC is trying to say is that for the most part, the gun is a novelty.

What does it offer the user that a G26, G19 or S&W M&P9C doesnt already?

tighter accuracy, better & faster trigger, slimmer profile, similar capacity, cocked and locked carry (which some prefer).

should i continue? ;)

ranburr
05-29-10, 23:06
My 9mm works great. More reliable than my M&Pc. Very easy to conceal. Excellent pistol. I carry it regularly. I guess that means that I am not high speed, low drag enough for some of the members here. How will I ever live with myself.:rolleyes:

Assy Mcgee
05-29-10, 23:09
My 9mm works great. More reliable than my M&Pc. Very easy to conceal. Excellent pistol. I carry it regularly. I guess that means that I am not high speed, low drag enough for some of the members here. How will I ever live with myself.:rolleyes:

geez, ranburr, you must not be "serious about carrying a pistol"....:eek:

:)

Magsz
05-29-10, 23:15
tighter accuracy, better & faster trigger, slimmer profile, similar capacity, cocked and locked carry (which some prefer).

should i continue? ;)

The accuracy comment is trivial at best. Modern semi autos are pretty darned accurate, certainly accurate enough at social distances.

I find my double stack subcompact autos infinitely easier to manipulate than any micro sized 1911.

About the only thing it has going for it would be its slim profile like i mentioned earlier and as you added, arguably the trigger.

I just cant bring myself to buy one when my 9c works so freaking well.

Assy Mcgee
05-29-10, 23:41
The accuracy comment is trivial at best. Modern semi autos are pretty darned accurate, certainly accurate enough at social distances.

I find my double stack subcompact autos infinitely easier to manipulate than any micro sized 1911.

About the only thing it has going for it would be its slim profile like i mentioned earlier and as you added, arguably the trigger.

I just cant bring myself to buy one when my 9c works so freaking well.

i hear ya. it's just a matter of preference, that's all.

i like glocks and 1911's, but prefer 1911's for the reasons i stated.

i had a mp40c, and couldn't stand the trigger, the feel of the grip, or the thickness of it.

to each his own :)

Scapegoat
05-30-10, 10:02
I had the 9mm version and while it's a nice show piece, I grew tired of the misfeeds as it would only cycle 147 grain HP ammo. Anything else and it was a crap shoot. After about four thousand rounds the ejector lodged into the slide locking the gun up. Took a rubber mallet and a few good whacks to free it up. After that I lost all confidence and sold it. Now I've transitioned to M&P's only, way cheaper and with the APEX (http://www.apextactical.com/) offerings it's hard to go wrong.

sjohnny
05-30-10, 16:50
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm just soliciting opinions for my father-in-law. He is interested in one. I think he likes the slimness of it, I don't really know what else.

I personally don't have an interest in one. I generally carry larger sized guns and when I'm working I have to carry a SIG 229 which I conceal easily.

I'm not really up on smaller framed guns. What are some other good quality 9mm that are narrower than the Glocks and M&Ps?

TOrrock
05-30-10, 17:48
What are some other good quality 9mm that are narrower than the Glocks and M&Ps?

Might want to take a look at the Walther PPS.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10002&catalogId=13102&content=755504

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Walther/upload/images/promos/Walther_PPS_Pistol_Promo.jpg

BMcDonald7
05-30-10, 18:27
Well, I have an HK P30, and an M&P 9c and I still couldn't resist the urge to pick up an EMP. Its just to darned good looking of a gun. To make matters worse I shoot it great. However I am going to have to send it back to Springfield and see if they can polish the feed ramp as I have had 2 FTF's with 124 HST in less than 50 rounds. I already put the recommended number of rounds through it and then tried JHP's. That said I am waiting on my M&P 9c getting back from S&W because my front tritium vile popped out on my night sights...

Does the EMP serve the same purpose as my M&P 9c.....yes, however the EMP is a litle thinner and I like the way it hugs my side with my Southern Holsters Memphis. I've attached some pics so you can see the difference compared to the M&P 9c.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa118/jobu4199/IMG_1789.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa118/jobu4199/IMG_1790.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa118/jobu4199/IMG_1861.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa118/jobu4199/IMG_1859.jpg

YVK
05-30-10, 18:58
Pistolsmith John Harrison thinks highly enouhg of the EMP 9mm to have built one as a gift to his daughter:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/HG_echnaceEMP_200909/

Another pistolsmith and a member here, Ned Christiansen, has just published a review on EMP 40 in July issue of SWAT Magazine. His review is positive and, personally knowing Ned, I wouldn't hesitate to get EMP if I needed a platform like that.

RadioActivity
05-30-10, 19:38
I have to admit I love mine.

It took a trip back to SA for warrenty work (feed reliability issues when using HP) but now eats everything fine.

Oddly enough it is the gun I shoot most accurately, and I can stack rounds ontop of each other. Not sure why that is...

sjohnny
05-30-10, 21:30
BMcD,
Thanks for the side by side pic. I think the M&P is probably too wide.

Templar,
I hadn't even thought of the Walther.
My wife has recently expressed an interest in starting to carry. It would have to be pretty small and I'd rather she carry at least a 9mm. Even if my f-i-l isn't interested in the Walther, I might look at it for my wife.
Thanks.

jdavis6576
05-31-10, 06:37
You may want to take a look at the Kahr PM9 and/or P9. Being single stacks, they are very thin and although the trigger is long it is extremely smooth. I've heard that the PM9s can be hit or miss but the one I purchased for my wife has been perfect for 500+ rounds. She has a carry permit but doesn't carry it that often, we're working on that. I bought her a Galco Ankle Glove and she's starting to warm up to it as she wasn't going to carry it on her waist and I didn't want her to carry it in her purse.

Admittedly I've shot it more than her (I did the break-in) but she's fine with shooting FMJ and Ranger 147 gr. JHPs. She much prefers shooting one of my G19s at the range as the Kahr is a not something I'd want to put a few hundred rounds through at a time but she shoots it very well. BTW, my wife is 5'2" and petite so that may be why she shoots the PM9 well, she has small hands and it fits her well. The P9 is a little bigger, both in terms of barrel length and height.

FrankRochester
05-31-10, 09:19
The only thing I don't like about the Kahr's is the really long trigger. Its just like a DA revolver.. It has a very long reset point. If you're used to shooting a 1911 or a Glock, it will screw you up big time..

Assy Mcgee
05-31-10, 13:35
Another pistolsmith and a member here, Ned Christiansen, has just published a review on EMP 40 in July issue of SWAT Magazine. His review is positive and, personally knowing Ned, I wouldn't hesitate to get EMP if I needed a platform like that.

cool. you don't happen to have a link to that, do you?

thanx :)

Assy Mcgee
05-31-10, 13:52
i like that holster, but can't quite make out the brand. how much did that run you?

thanx

BMcDonald7
05-31-10, 14:08
i like that holster, but can't quite make out the brand. how much did that run you?

thanx

Its made by Southern Holsters. It ran me about $100 shipped with the shark trim option. I really like it, excellent workmanship and it only took a little over a month. It doesn't have a reinforced opening but I use it for CCW not for training classes with lots of re-holstering.

YVK
05-31-10, 14:09
cool. you don't happen to have a link to that, do you?

thanx :)

Their website is http://www.swatmag.com/ but, although they have archives, I dunno if they provide links to full texts.
The article in question, however, is in latest issue so it doesn't even show on website. Barnes and Noble is your best bet, methinks.

Assy Mcgee
05-31-10, 14:22
Its made by Southern Holsters. It ran me about $100 shipped with the shark trim option. I really like it, excellent workmanship and it only took a little over a month. It doesn't have a reinforced opening but I use it for CCW not for training classes with lots of re-holstering.

thanks for the info, i'll have to check them out, although i'm too cheap to opt for the shark skin option i think lol.

looks great :)

Assy Mcgee
05-31-10, 14:23
Their website is http://www.swatmag.com/ but, although they have archives, I dunno if they provide links to full texts.
The article in question, however, is in latest issue so it doesn't even show on website. Barnes and Noble is your best bet, methinks.

thank you for the link. i couldn't get to the article on there (they want you to buy the mag :) ).

i'll see if i ca find it at a local store. i'd like to read that.

sjohnny
06-01-10, 07:33
Thanks again for the info. I'll pass it along.

Littlelebowski
06-01-10, 08:21
I have one for the old lady and while I doubt it would make it through a class (though it has run well, I just don't trust it), it is an amazingly accurate, fun little piece.

HK45
06-04-10, 12:25

should i continue? ;)

I don't find a noticeable difference between the accuracy of Glocks and 1911's when shooting at speed. I do find a difference between 1911's being a pain in the ass to maintain though. In fact i'll take a 9mm Glock over any 1911for shooting quickly and accurately. I've heard good things about the EMP even though a compact 1911 shooting 9mm does not really interest me much. I have been thinking a quality full size 1911 in 9mm would be fun though.

Littlelebowski
06-04-10, 12:33
I don't find a noticeable difference between the accuracy of Glocks and 1911's when shooting at speed. I do find a difference between 1911's being a pain in the ass to maintain though. In fact i'll take a 9mm Glock over any 1911for shooting quickly and accurately.

Same here. The 1911s print pretty groups from the bench but the Glocks do better for me when running drills.

HK45
06-04-10, 12:34
[QUOTE=HK45;673627]I don't find a noticeable difference between the accuracy of Glocks and 1911's when shooting at speed. I do find a difference between 1911's being a pain in the ass to maintain though. In fact i'll take a 9mm Glock over any 1911for shooting quickly and accurately./QUOTE]

Same here. The 1911s print pretty groups from the bench but the Glocks do better for me when running drills.

Exactly.

Omega Man
06-04-10, 15:24
It's a cool little gun, but for carry i would stick with a G19. Capacity and reliability are where its at for me.

ck1
06-04-10, 16:37
I've shot a few with mixed experiences, great idea, but seems every EMP I know of ends up having to go back to Springfield once or more, and of the ones that actually really get shot, most just end up getting sold or traded away...

Hope your luck is better.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
06-04-10, 18:19
You may want to take a look at the Kahr PM9 and/or P9. Being single stacks, they are very thin and although the trigger is long it is extremely smooth. I've heard that the PM9s can be hit or miss but the one I purchased for my wife has been perfect for 500+ rounds. She has a carry permit but doesn't carry it that often, we're working on that. I bought her a Galco Ankle Glove and she's starting to warm up to it as she wasn't going to carry it on her waist and I didn't want her to carry it in her purse.

Admittedly I've shot it more than her (I did the break-in) but she's fine with shooting FMJ and Ranger 147 gr. JHPs. She much prefers shooting one of my G19s at the range as the Kahr is a not something I'd want to put a few hundred rounds through at a time but she shoots it very well. BTW, my wife is 5'2" and petite so that may be why she shoots the PM9 well, she has small hands and it fits her well. The P9 is a little bigger, both in terms of barrel length and height.

I would generally suggest being cautious about Kahr pistols. Though I carried one for a while, enjoyed shooting it and sold it only to purchase a glock 26, a large PD recently deauthorized it due to serious issues with parts fatigue.

ranburr
06-04-10, 23:27
I do find a difference between 1911's being a pain in the ass to maintain though.

Then you don't know how to properly run one.

HK45
06-04-10, 23:41
It is not smart on this forum to assume peoples' background, experience, or knowledge levels.

ranburr
06-05-10, 02:19
It is not smart on this forum to assume peoples' background, experience, or knowledge levels.

Don't know or care about your background just as I assume you could care less about mine. I am merely stating that it is not a pain in the ass to maintain a 1911. A good 1911 is as reliable as anything out there. 99% of the issues associated with quality 1911s can be chalked up to operator error.

Littlelebowski
06-05-10, 09:33
ranburr, you should dial it back a notch. I know Hk45's background and he has been there and done that with a 1911. You might take a look at his avatar (HINT!)......

I think most of the good shooters on this forum are in agreement that a 1911 is more of a pain in the ass to maintain than any of the widely issued service pistols. I know my 1911s were and now I run polymer.

Mjolnir
06-05-10, 10:23
Does anyone have any experience with these? I haven't seen much about them and am looking for information regarding reliability, comfort, etc. My father-in-law is considering one for concealed carry.

Thanks.

Yep. As a 1911 guy my recommendation is "STAY AWAY!" The design of the 1911 is not conducive to "micro-length" barrels. "Failures to feed" and "failures to extract" are part and parcel (eventually) with such mouse 1911s.

They are maintenance-intensive for a 1911 which already requires more maintenance than, say, Glocks, HKs and Sigs. The recoil spring, extractor inspection/tuning is the culprit. The magazine springs and magazine lips need to be looked after more so, too.

What I've found is that the slide has to articulate more than a 5" and the slide is lighter and is moving faster - often times a little bit faster than the magazine can properly feed it. This is what will cause one to look at "the usual suspects" when it "doesn't feed". The usual suspects are as mentioned: extractor tuning, the recoil spring (which in the case of the short barreled ones is overly compressed which inhibits fatigue resistance somewhat), magazine feed lips and magazine springs.

I dunno about you but I like machinery that is reliable and low maintenance so my 1911s have been built with that in mind. They are 5" models, btw.

I've not read any posts other than the OPs so I'm sure some will disagree and certainly some have had good results. When ammo was cheap(er) I would send 1,200 rounds per month through my 1911; every month for about two years, plus several pistol shooting classes and occasional IDPA. I love the platform. I've had no issues. I'm a mechanical engineer who likes to tinker so I'm ontop of my Maintenance Schedule: 5,000 rounds on recoil spring in which it's stripped to the frame, carefully inspected and put back together. Every 1,000 rounds the mags, extractor and recoil spring are carefully inspected.

So, for me, it's a no go.

For the record, the 1911 is my favorite platform by far. I like the "bonding" that I do with it. Your opinion may vary. That said, one has to be smitten with the relatively low maintenance required of more modern designs like the Glock, M&P and H&K. I know I'm smitten with them.

Mjolnir
06-05-10, 10:39
I know Ned personally (helluva gentleman, actually), and while he may have given it a glowing review I don't think he'd purchase and carry one.

A 4" 1911 works better than the "Micros". "Everyone" knows this. I also know not everyone would shoot 2,000 rounds of drills per month for months on end, either. Even if the ammo were GIVEN to them. The EMP probably wouldn't like that, too much, without some attention to detail above and beyond a Gov't Model 1911. The average guy just doesn't shoot much; much less DREAM of shooting much. And that's okay, too, I guess.

Hell, if I were wed to the idea of a slim, small, alloy 9mm pistol I'd recommend the H&K P7.

HeavyDuty
06-05-10, 10:58
Yep. As a 1911 guy my recommendation is "STAY AWAY!" The design of the 1911 is not conducive to "micro-length" barrels. "Failures to feed" and "failures to extract" are part and parcel (eventually) with such mouse 1911s.

They are maintenance-intensive for a 1911 which already requires more maintenance than, say, Glocks, HKs and Sigs. The recoil spring, extractor inspection/tuning is the culprit. The magazine springs and magazine lips need to be looked after more so, too.

What I've found is that the slide has to articulate more than a 5" and the slide is lighter and is moving faster - often times a little bit faster than the magazine can properly feed it. This is what will cause one to look at "the usual suspects" when it "doesn't feed". The usual suspects are as mentioned: extractor tuning, the recoil spring (which in the case of the short barreled ones is overly compressed which inhibits fatigue resistance somewhat), magazine feed lips and magazine springs.

I dunno about you but I like machinery that is reliable and low maintenance so my 1911s have been built with that in mind. They are 5" models, btw.

I've not read any posts other than the OPs so I'm sure some will disagree and certainly some have had good results. When ammo was cheap(er) I would send 1,200 rounds per month through my 1911; every month for about two years, plus several pistol shooting classes and occasional IDPA. I love the platform. I've had no issues. I'm a mechanical engineer who likes to tinker so I'm ontop of my Maintenance Schedule: 5,000 rounds on recoil spring in which it's stripped to the frame, carefully inspected and put back together. Every 1,000 rounds the mags, extractor and recoil spring are carefully inspected.

For the record, the 1911 is my favorite platform by far. I like the "bonding" that I do with it. Your opinion may vary. That said, one has to be smitten with the relatively low maintenance required of more modern designs like the Glock, M&P and H&K. I know I'm smitten with them.

But... isn't that the whole idea behind the EMP? That everything was scaled down and re-engineered to be appropriate for the 9mm?

I've been attracted to these for awhile. Don't get me wrong - I love my G36 and M&P40c, but the 3913 gets more carry time because it's thinner and more comfortable for me in an IWB.

HeavyDuty
06-05-10, 10:59
I know Ned personally (helluva gentleman, actually), and while he may have given it a glowing review I don't think he'd purchase and carry one.

A 4" 1911 works better than the "Micros". "Everyone" knows this. I also know not everyone would shoot 2,000 rounds of drills per month for months on end, either. Even if the ammo were GIVEN to them. The EMP probably wouldn't like that, too much, without some attention to detail above and beyond a Gov't Model 1911. The average guy just doesn't shoot much; much less DREAM of shooting much. And that's okay, too, I guess.

Hell, if I were wed to the idea of a slim, small, alloy 9mm pistol I'd recommend the H&K P7.

My P7 is a boat anchor - no alloy in the frame on these!

HK45
06-05-10, 11:03
Try 1200 rds in a day. Or more. I'm done tinkering with or having unexpected parts failures in a self defense pistol. I'm more interested in continuing to perfect rapid and accurate fire in any situation that may arise. Especially when my choice of pistol is no longer restricted. Having said that I will always have 1911's. I just came back from the fun store where I picked up a nice Series 70 that I will be molestng all morning. I expect to do some minimal adds to it and shoot it when I feel nostalgic. But my carry and home SD pistols are Glock. I do know people who swear up and down that their compact and micro 1911's are just as reliable as full size. Hard for me to go there though.

Mjolnir
06-05-10, 11:15
Try 1,200 rds in a day. Or more. I'm done tinkering with or having unexpected parts failures in a self defense pistol. I'm more interested in continuing to perfect rapid and accurate fire in any situation that may arise. Especially when my choice of pistol is no longer restricted. Having said that I will always have 1911's. I just came back from the fun store where I picked up a nice Series 70 that I will be molesting all morning. I expect to do some minimal adds to it and shoot it when I feel nostalgic. But my carry and home SD pistols are Glock. I do know people who swear up and down that their compact and micro 1911's are just as reliable as full size. Hard for me to go there though.
Been there; done that, too. The devil is always in the details. The mechanical lockup is tight bu the slide to frame is not; the barrel bushing does not require a tool to remove or install. The throat of the barrel was profiled for the 200 grain "Flying Ash Tray" so it feeds anything. As it stands now a liberal application of Brian Enos' Slide Glide and a finger clean of the barrel throat and 1,200 rounds is unremarkable.

I won't venture under 5" because I'd like to minimize the "oh shits". And I "amen" you on the "mouse gun" versions. THAT I just don't understand.

Mjolnir
06-05-10, 11:16
My P7 is a boat anchor - no alloy in the frame on these!
A good, close fitting IWB and carry two mags on your weak side should cure you of the feeling of heaviness.

HK45
06-05-10, 11:23
Slide Glide is good stuff. I lay it on thick. Living in Phoenix I don't really have to worry about rust else I would use lots of TW-25B.

Been there; done that, too. The devil is always in the details. The mechanical lockup is tight bu the slide to frame is not; the barrel bushing does not require a tool to remove or install. The throat of the barrel was profiled for the 200 grain "Flying Ash Tray" so it feeds anything. As it stands now a liberal application of Brian Enos' Slide Glide and a finger clean of the barrel throat and 1,200 rounds is unremarkable.

I won't venture under 5" because I'd like to minimize the "oh shits". And I "amen" you on the "mouse gun" versions. THAT I just don't understand.

Mjolnir
06-05-10, 11:24
Slide Glide is good stuff. I lay it on thick. Living in Phoenix I don't really have to worry about rust else I would use lots of TW-25B.

Agreed!

Try BoeShield for rust preventative. SEARS has it as does Brownells.

P.S.

I adore my HK45s, too!!

Assy Mcgee
06-05-10, 11:28
i use wilson combat ultimate lube on my EMP. (the grease in the syringe). works great.

HK45
06-05-10, 11:36
I've heard good things about Boeshield. Eezox is good too but pretty toxic. Kills brain cells and I don't have any to spare.

Agreed!

Try BoeShield for rust preventative. SEARS has it as does Brownells.

P.S.

I adore my HK45s, too!!

HeavyDuty
06-05-10, 11:41
A good, close fitting IWB and carry two mags on your weak side should cure you of the feeling of heaviness.

My point is that the P7 does not have an alloy frame. I've probably spent close to what my P7PSP cost me twenty years ago on high end leather for it over the years but I've never found any really good concealment gear that works for me. The slide is just too small to stabilize that big heavy gripframe.

Littlelebowski
06-05-10, 12:55
I mist on Eezox outside and haven't gotten sick from it yet.

YVK
06-05-10, 19:21
I know Ned personally (helluva gentleman, actually), and while he may have given it a glowing review I don't think he'd purchase and carry one...

Ned is a member here and I don't want to speak for him, but, since you know him personally, you probably know that he carries 3 inch officers 1911 on daily basis - so I dunno about your guess on emp.

My personal ccws are glock 19 and hk p7m8. I have shot 9 mm emp extensively. It isn't worth it for me to make any changes but if I were to do this again now I'd take emp over P7.

Mjolnir
06-07-10, 14:08
My point is that the P7 does not have an alloy frame. I've probably spent close to what my P7PSP cost me twenty years ago on high end leather for it over the years but I've never found any really good concealment gear that works for me. The slide is just too small to stabilize that big heavy gripframe.

Gotcha.

I used a Blade-Tech IWB with good results but I tightened the screws to "securely" (oxymoron) put pressure on the trigger guard.

Mjolnir
06-07-10, 14:15
Ned is a member here and I don't want to speak for him, but, since you know him personally, you probably know that he carries 3 inch officers 1911 on daily basis - so I dunno about your guess on emp.

My personal ccws are glock 19 and hk p7m8. I have shot 9 mm emp extensively. It isn't worth it for me to make any changes but if I were to do this again now I'd take emp over P7.

He had mentioned to me that he had one but I've never asked what he carried. I ASSumed incorrectly.

Ned is as squared away as any; I don't know the OP. My comments can be worked around and an Aluminum-framed 1911 will not be shot much. I lean towards high volume shooting - the economy has pinched that somewhat - so my bias is towards full-size machines (Gov't Models, M&P9s, Glock 17s, P226s and even the HK45).

If the OP does not like troubleshooting and DIY projects (though small) then I'd steer him clear of 1911s, in general, and from "mouse" versions of same, in particular.

sjohnny
06-07-10, 15:06
Ned is as squared away as any; I don't know the OP.
The OP is relatively squared away. I've been carrying on the job for about 15 years. My father-in-law hasn't professionally carried a gun since he had a Combat Masterpiece with him in the cockpit of his F-4 in Vietnam. He hasn't ever concealed carried as a civilian to my knowledge.

If the OP does not like troubleshooting and DIY projects (though small) then I'd steer him clear of 1911s, in general, and fro
"mouse" versions of same, in particular.
I wouldn't want a carry gun that I had to mess with and I wouldn't recommend one to a family member. My 1911 is an Officer's model that had a lot of work done on it (the previous owner had the work done by a good smith). It's been very reliable so far but I only carried it for a short period of time. My Glock is lighter and holds more rounds so as soon as I realized this I started leaving the OM at home. A few years ago I was told I had to carry the SIG they issued me so now the Glock stays at home. I don't have a problem concealing my 229.

I really appreciate the input.