PDA

View Full Version : Daily carry light?

NickB
05-21-07, 23:07
I'm ignorant on this topic, so I need advice. I currently carry a Surefire E2D every day. Great light, bright, but I'd like something that doesn't destroy my jeans. I was thinking an L4 would do the trick, but I'd like to get some feedback before I take the plunge. I want it under $200, under 5.5" in length, over 60 lumens, over 1 hour run time.

Thoughts?

Frank Castle
05-22-07, 08:47
Nick,

I don't have personal experience with either the E2D or L4, but with the recent release of the CREE LEDs you should be able to get 120-150 Lumens output and several hours runtime. www.flashlightreviews.com is your friend. Good hunting- post back after you do make the plunge. My daily carry is a Huntlight FT-02XJ- it is the size of a Surefire Executive with performance of a much larger torch. I think I paid about $35 through lighthound.

ST911
05-22-07, 09:29
I have both of those lights, and others.

The L4 is virtually identical in size to the E2E. It is indeed brighter, and the difference in brightness is most obvious indoors. Outdoors, where most of my needs are, I get better and more useful light with the 60 lumens of the E2's. (See other threads on the incandescents vs. LEDs inside and out.) The L4 performs to the published specs... bright for about an hour, then about 2/3 for the next 1 hour or so.

My EDC light is and E2D. The sharper edges will wear the pockets made of lighter material. I use an E2E in those pants I don't want to reinforce, repair, or wear infrequently.

The build quality of the Surefires exceeds that of the other similarly performing but less expensive off-brand lights, and they run truer to specs.

If you're wanting a Surefire LED, I also would wait for the Cree changeover.

CPR
06-12-07, 13:20
I'm a big fan of the McLuxIII PD series. It's a little over your budget, but well worth the investment, especially if you're trying to avoid bulk. The light is big enough to fit my hand well, has a superior activation system and disappears in a pocket, even when clipped. The tritium locater in the piston is a bonus.

I believe he's using CREE LEDs now as well.