PDA

View Full Version : G21SF Plug

Ga Shooter
05-29-10, 20:23
I had 2 G21SF w/ pic rail and ambi release. I sent them in to Glock to replace the frames for the ones with the std rail and standard mag release (the ambis were sticking). I bought the plug for the original pistols and they fit fine but the end of the grip on the replacement frames do not have the holes for the plug lock. I then read the directions and the plug says not for 21SF. I put it in anyway just to see and it fit really tight. I removed the plug and cannot see that it is putting pressure into the magwell or anything but I don't want to screw something up. Should I use them or not?

GLOCKMASTER
05-29-10, 20:43
I had 2 G21SF w/ pic rail and ambi release. I sent them in to Glock to replace the frames for the ones with the std rail and standard mag release (the ambis were sticking). I bought the plug for the original pistols and they fit fine but the end of the grip on the replacement frames do not have the holes for the plug lock. I then read the directions and the plug says not for 21SF. I put it in anyway just to see and it fit really tight. I removed the plug and cannot see that it is putting pressure into the magwell or anything but I don't want to screw something up. Should I use them or not?

They must have changed the design because my 21SF has the lanyard hole in the grip and I use a grip plug in all of my Glocks to include the 21SF.

I would say that it will not cause any issues if you use it.

Outlander Systems
05-29-10, 22:14
This issue is a serious bummer for me.

I recently scored a 21SF, upon recommendations of several individuals, including JF.

Mine is also the "new" version, (Standard Glock-Rail, Standard Mag-Release, etc.).

As an OWB man, I am pretty big on a lanyard, and wanted to get the Nowlin Plug. I'm SOL, since it appears the newer 21SFs (Gen3.5? ;)) are absent the lanyard hole.

Considering this was a JCP contender, I'm very bummed they did this.

I've thought about drilling the hole out myself, but I don't want to FUBAR up my smokewagon. I'm contemplating leaving it to the 'Smith to hook up...

Anyone have any recommendations on a fix for this?

Assy Mcgee
05-29-10, 23:04
glock grip plugs are analogous to 1911 FLGR's in that they are useless, yet people still buy them.

IrishDevil
05-29-10, 23:38
glock grip plugs are analogous to 1911 FLGR's in that they are useless, yet people still buy them.

Are they a required item? No. They're a nice to have item, they serve a purpose in that they can help smooth out a fumbled reload.

GLOCKMASTER
05-30-10, 10:13
This issue is a serious bummer for me.

I recently scored a 21SF, upon recommendations of several individuals, including JF.

Mine is also the "new" version, (Standard Glock-Rail, Standard Mag-Release, etc.).

As an OWB man, I am pretty big on a lanyard, and wanted to get the Nowlin Plug. I'm SOL, since it appears the newer 21SFs (Gen3.5? ;)) are absent the lanyard hole.

Considering this was a JCP contender, I'm very bummed they did this.

I've thought about drilling the hole out myself, but I don't want to FUBAR up my smokewagon. I'm contemplating leaving it to the 'Smith to hook up...

Anyone have any recommendations on a fix for this?

I would contact Glock to see if they are willing to assist you with this issue.

Outlander Systems
05-30-10, 12:33
It would be easy enough, and I've got no excuse; Glock's 20 minutes from my house. I would be thrilled if they could get it straightened out for me.

miamitj
05-30-10, 13:13
Are they a required item? No. They're a nice to have item, they serve a purpose in that they can help smooth out a fumbled reload.

The hole serves a purpose more important then keeping the fuzzies out of a non-essential area ...

FYI, just in case you did not know, the hole is there so you can stick your thumb in there getting a better grip on a stuck mag allowing for easier removal.

Ga Shooter
05-30-10, 16:50
They must have changed the design because my 21SF has the lanyard hole in the grip and I use a grip plug in all of my Glocks to include the 21SF.

I would say that it will not cause any issues if you use it.

Thanks for the tip. I just wanted to make sure that the pressure over time would not cause pressure into the magwell causing the mags to stick. I thought about drilling the hole myself but Glock tends to get upset with their warranty if you drill or stipple ( although this is the first time I ever used a Glock warranty).

Thanks again.

toasterlocker
05-30-10, 18:34
I am confident that if we would have installed a buttplug on the G21 and ran the test again the results would have been different with the G21 doing alot better.

Original thread for context:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11699&highlight=plug

Outlander Systems
05-30-10, 19:35
Assy McGee or LAV...

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19307&highlight=qualified+opinion

When offering advice on the internet, you should do two things:
1) Post your qualifiers. "I love my XYZ" is an absolutely useless post. It helps nobody, does nothing but strokes your own ego, and chances are you are only actually recommending the only brand/model/example/version of the thing that you have ever even seen in person. Stop it. There is nothing wrong with posting an opinion based largely in ignorance, but own up to it. Say "I bought an XYZ as my first AR and I've put x# of trouble-free rounds through it". Don't say "flawless". Please. For the children.

miamitj
05-30-10, 20:48
Original thread for context:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11699&highlight=plug

I'm going to have to say that I see myself running into a bad double feed causing a magazine to require a little more grip well before I get sand all the way into the guns mechanics. I still think the plug is not a good idea, well I guess unless you work at the beach at least :)

Assy Mcgee
05-30-10, 21:06
Assy McGee or LAV...

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19307&highlight=qualified+opinion

plz reference an actual incident where glock grip plugs actually performed any type of function.

glock left that channel open for a reason--as a drain incase the pistol was submerged.

GLOCKMASTER
05-30-10, 21:19
Hey Assy see the below quote from Larry Vickers.

Gents

the story behind that sand test from years ago was the sand issues overseas - we tested the 1911 in 2 flavors, the HK USP tactical, and the Glock 21 - the results shocked everyone; up until that time I did not realize the open channel to the trigger mech was such a big issue in extreme environments - now I recommend a buttplug on all Glock's as cheap insurance

I am confident that if we would have installed a buttplug on the G21 and ran the test again the results would have been different with the G21 doing alot better

Larry Vickers

www.vickerstactical.com

Assy Mcgee
05-30-10, 22:28
Hey Assy see the below quote from Larry Vickers.

interesting, but inconclusive. what was the test, exactly? what were the conditions?

i've chatted with a mod on another forum that is a private contractor in iraq as we speak, and carries a glock 19.

their glock 19's are often covered in that powder-like sand so much so that they look light brown in color, rather than black. hardly any of them use plugs--and they still never jam.

take that for what you will.

of course i trust larry's opinion on weapons. these seem to be two conflicting accounts.

maybe larry can expand on this test he referred to.

Ga Shooter
05-31-10, 07:07
A guy named Assy vs. JFreuler(Viking Tactical) and Larry Vickers.

Assy do us all a favor and don't live up to your name on this one.

NC PM me if you talk to glock just want to know what they say. Also I think I am going to take the Armorer Course in the fall we will have to meet up if there is time.

Outlander Systems
05-31-10, 07:17

NC PM me if you talk to glock just want to know what they say. Also I think I am going to take the Armorer Course in the fall we will have to meet up if there is time.

I most certainly will.

I've got Fridays off, so I might try and mosey on down there and see what I can get out of them.

Assy Mcgee
05-31-10, 13:33

no need to be rude.

well, let's see what you've contributed to this thread: a sarcastic, yet uninformed post.

you're right, you win.

HK45
05-31-10, 16:42
interesting, but inconclusive. what was the test, exactly? what were

That's the problem with these "tests". The results are not statistically repeatable so they are of little value except as entertainment.

Ga Shooter
05-31-10, 21:07
[QUOTE=Assy Mcgee;670164]no need to be rude.QUOTE]

Sorry Assy was not trying to be rude I just absolutely could not resist. :p

TiroFijo
06-01-10, 08:20
I think the "case for the glock bottom plug" is not conclusive to say the least...

first, there are many people who have carried and used them in sandy/dusty areas with no plug and no problems

second, if you look at a glock from the side, you can see through it... how of much of a difference really the drain hole is goint to make? the metal rails are small and there is space for dust/sand to go in (and out) everywhere.