PDA

View Full Version : A second look at the 20-gauge

padwan
05-30-10, 11:56
My father dropped by today to borrow some ear muffs as he was taking three of his grandkids shooting. He also showed me the Remington 870 youth model that he bought for my nephew, now 15. I've owned 870Ps in the past, but this version looked really... "cute"... for the lack of a better term.

It had an 18" Ventilated Rib barrel, wooden furniture, a standard 4-shot tubular magazine, and wore a stock with maybe a 12" LOP. I verified that the gun was empty and practiced mounting it. Man! It was light and it was fast!

Like many 870s I've handled before, the action is smooth enough and will only smooth up even more after the kids train with it for a couple of months.

I then recalled seeing some 20-gauge buckshot (#3 usually) on stock at my local dealer. Not in great quantity, but he always has a couple of boxes on the shelves. Since the hallways in my house are not really long/deep, I figure 20-gauge buckshot should have enough punch within 15 yards. This compact pump is starting to look really good.

I have not had a shotgun in the house for about 6 years. I think a 20-gauge youth gun will soon fill that void.

TehLlama
05-30-10, 12:50
With the new 3" loads, the 20ga are no longer so wussy, you can have a reasonable social gun out of it that can still be fired by smaller framed people.

LHS
05-30-10, 13:57
I've had a 20ga 870 for years as a squirrel gun, and about 8 years ago, Dad shipped it off to Wilson Combat for the standard treatment. Now it's got a youth stock, sidesaddle, ghost rings, 20" barrel, a 3-round mag extension and a coating of green Armor Tuff. Even fully loaded, it handles faster than most 18"-bbl 12 gauges. Now if I could just find someone making 00 buck (or even #1 buck) loads, it would make a great house gun. I'll start my son off on shotguns with this one, for certain. My wife loves shooting it as well.

RayMich
05-30-10, 21:35
I've had a 20ga 870 for years as a squirrel gun, and about 8 years ago, Dad shipped it off to Wilson Combat for the standard treatment. Now it's got a youth stock, sidesaddle, ghost rings, 20" barrel, a 3-round mag extension and a coating of green Armor Tuff. Even fully loaded, it handles faster than most 18"-bbl 12 gauges. Now if I could just find someone making 00 buck (or even #1 buck) loads, it would make a great house gun. I'll start my son off on shotguns with this one, for certain. My wife loves shooting it as well.
I have one of the 20 gauge 870 Jr., that I keep as a HD shotgun loaded with 4+1 #3 Buckshot. - It's the Youth model with the 18½" ventilated rib smooth bore barrel, with the Modified Rem choke, wood stock and a 12 inch length of pull. Excellent little gun, very light (Less than 6 lbs empty) and is much easier for a small framed woman or teen to handle in a close quarter scenario like home defense.

The 20 gauge has 40% less felt recoil than a 12 gauge and is just as deadly.

I also got the Remington 18" rifled barrel for it with the cantilever scope mount and a cheap 4x20 Tasco scope. It is absolutely deadly on deer at 100 yds, shooting 20 gauge Hornady SST 250gr Sabot Slugs. :D

Paraklese Technologies is the only company I have found that makes 20 gauge 00 Buckshot ammo and they are not cheap. I've been told that they have excellent customer service, but I have not bought anything from them yet, so I don't have personal experience to relate.

Tactical 20 Gauge 00 buckshot, 2 3/4", case of 250 - $284.00
http://www.paraklesetechnologies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=20%2EGA%2E00%2E234%2E250

Tactical 20 Gauge 00 buckshot, 2 3/4", box of 25 - $31.25
http://www.paraklesetechnologies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=20%2EGA%2E00%2E234%2E25

Dunderway
05-30-10, 22:24
The litte 20s are neat, but I think the ammo limitations really kill it. Unless you can't handle the weight, a 12 gauge with low-recoil 00 is just as easy to shoot and seems to be much more versatile. I run an 18" 870 (standard mag) with a Hogue youth stock, and it is extremely easy to handle.

RayMich
05-30-10, 22:52
The litte 20s are neat, but I think the ammo limitations really kill it. Unless you can't handle the weight, a 12 gauge with low-recoil 00 is just as easy to shoot and seems to be much more versatile. I run an 18" 870 (standard mag) with a Hogue youth stock, and it is extremely easy to handle.

No doubt that the 12 gauge makes an excellent home defense shotgun, but if you can take the time to listen to these two ProArms Podcasts with Massad Ayoob, I think you will change your mind about the 20 gauge. :)

017A Homing in on the Defensive Shotgun - Part A
http://proarmspodcast.com/2009/02/01/017a-homing-in-on-the-defensive-shotgun/

017B Homing in on the Defensive Shotgun - Part B
http://proarmspodcast.com/2009/02/22/017b-homing-in-on-the-defensive-shotgun/

Also check out this video . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMv2z_PX7s0&feature=player_embedded

GlockCop525
05-30-10, 23:41
agreed. 20 gauge is an excellent home defense weapon for vast reasons. wife and kids can shoot it easily, not alot of penetration (depending on the shot) etc. Poor 20 ga gets a bad rap alota the time becuase ppl wanna be billy bad-ass with a 12 or 10ga.

SmokeJumper
05-31-10, 00:51
I've always liked the 20 ga., grew up shooting and reloading it for hunting dove and quail. I even duck hunted with it a few times as well. Bought a 870 youth 20 ga. a couple years back for the wife to shoot clays with and dove and it is a dandy little shooter with an aftermarket limbsaver recoil pad installed.
For a house gun project I was looking at the 20ga. Express with mag. tube ext. from Remington
http://remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-synthetic-7-round.aspx
for the Mrs. due to lighter recoil, the 12 ga. is a bit much for her. A set of XS Big Dots and a SF forearm and mesa tactical shell carrier (not sure if they make one for 20ga.) would make a very viable option for house gun.

padwan
05-31-10, 01:13

I wouldn't feel undergunned with #3 or #4 Buck in a 20-gauge. Again within the confines of the house, I think it will deliver. Where I live, no one wears jackets or fleece anyway so I don't have to worry too much about bad guys in layered clothing.

If I had to use the gun outside the house, then I'd go 12 for sure. My old 870 was a 14" model and that was what I carried on the job for the last five years of my watch. Those Brennekes could sure punch through car doors like nobody's business.

LHS
05-31-10, 09:21
Paraklese Technologies is the only company I have found that makes 20 gauge 00 Buckshot ammo and they are not cheap. I've been told that they have excellent customer service, but I have not bought anything from them yet, so I don't have personal experience to relate.

Tactical 20 Gauge 00 buckshot, 2 3/4", case of 250 - $284.00
http://www.paraklesetechnologies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=20%2EGA%2E00%2E234%2E250

Tactical 20 Gauge 00 buckshot, 2 3/4", box of 25 - $31.25
http://www.paraklesetechnologies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=20%2EGA%2E00%2E234%2E25

I've heard of these guys before but haven't found anyone who's actually used their ammo. It's certainly pricey, but I don't mind paying for decent ammo for a HD shotgun since I'm not going to buy it by the case.

I'd really like to run some through my 20 gauge and see how it patterns.

bigghoss
06-02-10, 18:35
a while back I bought a speedfeed pistol grip for my mossberg 500 12 gauge but it hurt to shoot and dang near made the gun worthless for any practical use. so I took it off and put the regular stock back on and just had this thing laying around. well I felt the speedfeed grip was just too cool looking to be gathering dust so I went out and got a 20gauge just to have a gun to put the grip on. much easier on the wrist.:D

joshua79109
06-03-10, 08:16
I have nothing against using a 20. I believe for some folks it could be the better choice.

I prefer the 12 and believe it fills more roles than the 20 for me.

Where I live I'd have to order different types of shells for the 20, the stores around here don't stock many different varieties. For me the 12 is much easier/cheaper to buy bulk shells and good defense shells for.

Might not interest you, but here's another opinion:
If recoil is an issue it is worth looking at a semi auto. I know many folks will only use a pump, but in my opinion there is no longer a reason for that. To go a step further, I believe that many folks would be better off with a SA than with a pump under stress.

I have a SA shotgun that I trust for personal protection. It is a 12g, reliable, and has low felt recoil for a shot gun.

Bobert0989
06-04-10, 04:40
I keep a small 20 gauge mounted just above my closet door opening (on the inside, out of sight/mind) in case I run out of 9mm and he's still running!

I like the idea of it, plus it's something that even my wife can manage a second shot with... she Hated my 12 gauge 870 Super Mag...

Combat_Diver
06-04-10, 10:53
Both of my boys learned their shotgunning skills on a Rem 870 youth 20 ga. Been meaning to order a box of that 00 buck 8 pellet count from Paraklese. They are the only ones that I know that also make a 16 ga 00 buck (10 pellet) load.:eek:

CD

grendelbane
06-05-10, 16:28
OK, I have a question. How do you stack 8 .33 caliber pellets in a 20 gauge? They can't stack evenly, (or properly, or sensibly).

#1 buck, now that would stack ok, 2 x 2 x 2 x 2. Just like 000 buck does in a 12 gauge.

Federal loads #2 buck in a 3" 20 gauge. It patterns just fine out of my Saiga. Should be a good close range load, but past short range, I would like larger pellets.

The 3" loads kick like 2 3/4" 12 gauge loads, however. For recoil reduction, we need a lighter load. 8 pellets of # 1 buck would be just about right. Don't know if it will fit in a 2 3/4" shell or not, I think it will, and I intend to find out soon.