PDA

View Full Version : Glock NY1 plus 3.5# connector?

SpookyPistolero
05-30-10, 15:15
Howdy folks-

I've searched around here and elsewhere and can't find a clear answer to this question. What specific differences in trigger/reset behavior is gained by going with the 3.5# connector and NY1 spring in a Glock, versus the stock trigger and versus just the 3.5# connector? I have a new G19 and am not thrilled with the trigger, though I'm going to wait to get more trigger time to see how it grows on me.

Also, would you trust a local smith to install those parts and possibly do light polishing? The alternative being to 'send it off' to a name-brand smith. I'm not eager to try doing this myself on a carry gun.

To preface the question, I've had a stock G17 since before I was old enough to drive, so I'm used to the stock setup for the most part. This pistol will also be carry/home use (and frequent practice/training/possible IDPA type gaming with it).

Thanks for your thoughts-

rdm
05-30-10, 15:34
I found it to be an absurdly easy install. There are a number of videos which show detail stripping of the Glock handgun down to where you could install the Ny1 spring, and then the 3.5 disconnector. Then just re-assemble according to the videos, verify it resets correctly and you're gtg.

To me the resulting trigger pull has more noticeable reset with an easier break than the standard spring and dis-connector. I like it, but I'm used to the standard trigger so it will remain for now.

Honestly depending on your mechanical aptitude you may find the Glock detail strip to be pretty straightforward. Its not like as bad as per say a Ruger .22 Autoloader. Once I did it there is no way I could see paying someone to gunsmith a Glock, its just too simple.

Mjolnir
05-30-10, 16:00
If you're "advanced google search friendly" you can search: "Glock Armorer's Manual, .pdf"

Once you do it you will laugh yourself silly.

Cruncher Block
05-30-10, 16:24
I like the NY1 setup and 3.5# connector very much. I had it on a Glock 30 for years and it went a long way towards making an unergonomic brick of a gun much easier to shoot well. What rdm says is pretty much it -- easier break and more positive reset.

One other thing I like about the NY1 is that the spring is compressed rather than stretched. At one time, reset springs seemed to be one of the most common parts to break on Glocks. I'm not sure if this is still the case, though.

Be forewarned that takedown gets a tad trickier with the NY1. You have to hold the trigger to the rear while removing the slide. Otherwise, the connector wants to stick up and block the slide.

HK45
05-30-10, 16:43
One other thing I like about the NY1 is that the spring is compressed rather than stretched. At one time, reset springs seemed to be one of the most common parts to break on Glocks. I'm not sure if this is still the case, though.

Thats been fixed for awhile.

Surf
05-30-10, 17:00
I have run a 3.5 and standard and a 3.5 and NY for quite some time. I prefer the 3.5 and standard. I am a tad quicker on a timer with that set up.

YMMV

SpookyPistolero
05-30-10, 17:04
Thanks for the thoughts and info guys, very helpful. Sounds like I'll just have to get the parts and play with an arrangement that suits me. It also sounds like a project I may be able to tackle myself! I may pick up a 3.5# connector next weekend and give it a whirl.

jsbcody
05-30-10, 17:08
I have the 3.5 connector and NY1 Spring on my 3rd Gen Glocks, and I really like it. It is a very clean pull and crisp break. The reset is very "positive" to say the least. It is very similar to shooting double action on a well tuned, well broken in revolver. I really like this set up as a CCW pistol.

I haven't put this set up on my Gen 4 G22 as the trigger is just about right as it is.

SpookyPistolero
05-30-10, 17:10
Does the NY1 spring, specifically, contribute to a stronger reset, a stronger take-up, or both?

99HMC4
05-30-10, 17:54
Does the NY1 spring, specifically, contribute to a stronger reset, a stronger take-up, or both?

I felt both in my G37 with this set up.....

tr1kstanc3
05-30-10, 18:39
Thanks for the input. Decided to try this route on my ccw.

PRGGodfather
05-30-10, 19:51
I have run a 3.5 and standard and a 3.5 and NY for quite some time. I prefer the 3.5 and standard. I am a tad quicker on a timer with that set up.

YMMV

Yup, I've tried both and prefer the 3.5 with standard as well, although the NY1 has a stronger reset.

JHC
05-31-10, 17:19
I haven't put this set up on my Gen 4 G22 as the trigger is just about right as it is.

+1 I too think the Gen 4 trigger makes for an outstanding carry gun trigger; both weight and quality. I've got the OEM 3.5 and NY1 combo just arrived but haven't decided where to try it. Probably in my primary CCW G19 first. I love shooting DA revolvers which I grew up with so I thought I might dig this combo.

HK45
05-31-10, 18:38
I've been fine with the stock triggers in mine as well. I've thought about experimenting with something else but every time I shoot the pistols I don't feel the need. I like the greater lateral stiffness of the G4 triggers.

Sry0fcr
05-31-10, 19:29
+1 I too think the Gen 4 trigger makes for an outstanding carry gun trigger; both weight and quality. I've got the OEM 3.5 and NY1 combo just arrived but haven't decided where to try it. Probably in my primary CCW G19 first. I love shooting DA revolvers which I grew up with so I thought I might dig this combo.

You'll like it then. I'd describe it as a light (for DAO, but not exactly heavy for a striker fired gun), short DAO type pull.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-31-10, 20:39
I tinkered around with various combos but the standard pull is about right.

Littlelebowski
05-31-10, 22:00
No reason to pay someone to do this for you. Ridiculously easy.

TheLefty
05-31-10, 22:45
It's extremely easy to do yourself. I haven't spent much time shooting the 3.5/NY1 combo, but from the time I have spent, I don't care for it.

I may have to give it a more thorough evaluation at a later time, but as of now, I much prefer the light take-up of the standard trigger spring.

SpookyPistolero
05-31-10, 23:16
Thanks guys. I've decided to try the 3.5# connector for now. Maybe the NY1 later...

And I shall do it myself. :D

tpd223
06-01-10, 00:49
I wouldn't run around with the 3.5 and standard spring on a carry pistol, with the NY1 yes, stock spring no.

Just sayin.

SWATcop556
06-01-10, 10:08
After shooting different combos I finally went back to the standard spring and connector. That setup with a .25 trigger job is just about perfect for me. I still use the "-" connector on my comp guns though.

Hat Creek
06-01-10, 17:07
All of my carry guns have the "-" connector and the black NY trigger spring. This makes for a very smooth combination. Downside is that the black NY (leaf spring rather then coil), is somewhat hard to come by.

SpookyPistolero
06-03-10, 12:27
Howdy folks-

I picked up the 3.5# Connector today from a local shop (plus some steel punches from Harbor Freight). I watched a couple of youtube videos on Glock disassembly and frankly I'm a little embarrassed that I was hesitant to strip this thing! This was my first time doing a detail strip, and I think it took me about 45 seconds to have it down into all its components.

The 3.5# went in easily, and now the trigger pull is a very good bit lighter and smoother. This may be too light, I'll have to get some trigger time before I make up my mind on that. I'm still considering going with the NY1 spring too.

Thanks to all those who commented on theirs, and advised I try it myself! I'll post again when I get some rounds downrange with this setup.

adrenaline151
06-03-10, 12:33
I used the 3.5 disconnector/NY-1 combo for a while, and then went back to stock. I guess it's a personal issue, whatever feels better for you, but it just didn't do it for me.

SpookyPistolero
06-03-10, 12:34
I used the 3.5 disconnector/NY-1 combo for a while, and then went back to stock. I guess it's a personal issue, whatever feels better for you, but it just didn't do it for me.

What did you dislike about the setup?

adrenaline151
06-03-10, 13:41
In my G19, having the combo in there, it just didn't "break" as cleanly as the stock setup. Obviously, this is for me, in my pistol, and you might feel different. I had read that some people loved that combo, and it worked great for them, and it was OK, I just didn't think it was such an improvement over stock to keep it that way. The only way I could really feel a difference was having 2 G19s to dry fire, mine, and a stock G19.
I figured I'd try it, the parts weren't too expensive, and then if I didn't like it, I'd throw it in the parts drawer. I tried different combos, too. Just NY-1 with stock disconnector was too heavy, 3.5# disconnector with stock spring was too light. There really wasn't much of a difference in weight of pull between the NY-1 and 3.5# disconnector, and stock, so I just went back to stock.
One thing I did like about the NY-1, was the amount of pressure on the trigger after the shot was fired, which really pushed your finger back to the reset. Basically just relax your finger and it was there, instantly. I'd say just pick up the parts and try it, see if YOU like it. You really need to have another pistol there so you can feel the difference side-by-side, though...
As far as trigger control and accuracy and that stuff goes... I think that spending the money on ammo will do more for you than spending the money on springs and disconnectors. I'll tell you what, PM me your address and I'll send you the NY-1, if you like it, keep it, if not, send it on to someone else. It's just something else for me to lose around here, and I won't use it anyway. If you bought it off an internet vendor, they'd charge you 6 or 7$ just to ship it.

adrenaline151
06-03-10, 13:54
A couple of things I WOULD recommend for the 19 are the Vickers Extended Mag Release and a Raven Phantom. I also really like the 10-8 brass bead sights.

Assy Mcgee
06-03-10, 19:28
i keep swapping my glock 19's NY-1 trigger spring out with the stock one.

i have a 3.5lb oem connector, and can't decide which way i like better.

with the NY-1 spring, i send less shots to the left do to the consistent pull and break, but double taps are a little slower.

Sparky5019
06-03-10, 19:39
While I have to admit that I have not tried the combo in question. I like the Glockworx Fulcrm. It gives me a 2# pull with no take up and the shortest reset on the market and is CRISP not mushy in any way. The downside is that it is a bit pricey, depending on your choice of "kit". Glockworx also has GREAT customer service! Still easy as pie to install.

DISCLAIMER: Not trying to advertise or hijack and am not affiliated with Glockworx in any way!:D Just offering an opinion/option!

Good Luck!

Sparky

semtex41
09-30-10, 23:12
Great info here.

Could someone PM me a good location where the profit margin on these 3.5 connectors isn't 50%?

mosrogfor
10-01-10, 00:56
Great info here.

Could someone PM me a good location where the profit margin on these 3.5 connectors isn't 50%?

I'd also love to find a source for these connectors as well.

556A2
10-01-10, 02:48
I'd also love to find a source for these connectors as well.

Glock OEM 3.5lb connectors are going to run your roughly $20.

Aftermarket such as Ghost, Scherer, Lone Wolf etc is going to run you $15.

Can't really avoid it.

DocGKR
10-01-10, 03:33
Glockparts.com does a good job.

mosrogfor
10-01-10, 09:29
Thanks Doc.

P2000
10-01-10, 21:34
I recently changed my G19 from the 3.5# connector and regular spring to the 3.5# and NY1 set up. The 3.5/NY1 set up has a lot going for it in my humble opinion.

1. Sufficient weight for CCW/HD use. I personally feel that the 3.5/stock spring setup is on the light side for a 3am "oh shit" moment.
2. Positive reset, the weight of trigger pull does not seem to change after the trigger breaks, it keeps full tension towards the reset which pulls your finger towards the reset.
3. Very non "stagey". The trigger pulls back about half way, gains maybe one pound, and then remains totally constant in pull weight through the trigger break. The other triggers seemed to gain a little weight right before they broke, which i do not like. Going from the 3.5# connector to the 3.5#/NY1 set up, my sights seem more solid during dry fire. In addition, the trigger seems to have 80% of the pull weight from the first mm of travel. This translates into the trigger being very tactile and not soft feeling.
4. If it matters to you, the factory 3.5# connector with NY1 set up is a factory approved configuration for self defense use. The 3.5# with standard spring is not factory approved for sd use. I'm not trying to start a debate about the possibility that an altered pistol may be talked about in court. You have to make that decision for yourself.

Also, there are plenty of youtube vids showing glock disassembly and install of the NY1. It is very easy. I put a small amount of TW-25B grease on the very top of the NY1, along with the shiny parts of the trigger mechanism. It is very smooth.

Give it a try and decide, the parts are cheap!

Surf
10-01-10, 21:50
Give it a try and decide, the parts are cheap!Gave it a try and didn't like it. I didn't like the feel of the pull to reset and I put it on a timer head to head running several different drills vs a 3.5 and standard spring. Head to head I liked the feel of the 3.5 and standard and I was a tad slower consistently across the board with the 3.5 / NY set ups.

As for heavier triggers, IMO the only reason to run a heavier trigger is to prevent potential hang up on gear etc. The trigger finger should not be an issue, even for a zero dark thirty event. If the trigger finger is a potential problem than that is a training issue and should be corrected properly with training and not by trying to put a band aid on it by making the trigger heavier. Sure we might not be able to pull a heavier trigger if we brain fart, but we should be fixing the brain fart.

I will say that everyone should run what works for them. My preference is not what will be the same for everyone. :)

jp0319
10-01-10, 22:48
I have a Glock 19 on Layaway which I am going to install this combo in as my carry piece. As far as installing it you can and should do it yourself. The Glock is obsurdly easy to work on and all you need is a punch and a dremel tool with a polishing wheel. That's it, you can get simple glock instructions on the web.

Ak44
10-01-10, 22:55
Glockparts.com does a good job.

I just ordered parts from them (one being the Maritime cups), very fast shipping!

oef24
10-01-10, 23:42
I am one of the few that have not had good luck with the NY1/3.5lb disconnector. I had a friend install the combo on a 17. He is a Glock armorer and we couldn't get it fitted right. It felt horrible. I went with a complete Ghost rocket trigger and never looked back.

O

CTBuilder1
10-02-10, 19:57
I switched to the Glock factory "-" connector and kept the standard spring. I have not looked back. I tried the NY1 spring but it wasn't for me. The actual pull of the "-" connector and NY1 didn't feel much different to me than the stock trigger.

I purchased the part from glockparts.com.

Surf
10-04-10, 00:44
CTBuilder1,

I got the room primered. The trim work looks just like expected. :D