PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here put 200k+ trouble free miles on their vehicle?

Luke_Y
05-30-10, 16:43
Anyone here put 200k+ trouble free miles on a car, light truck, or SUV? By "trouble free" I'm talking oil changes, tires, brakes, timing belt at recommended interval (on interference engines), and maybe a minor do-dad here or there that you broke. But, no money pit or slow bleed.

It's nearing time for my son to get a car that will finish out HS and hopefully take him through college. Given his/our budget, it will likely be high mileage when he gets it, and I would like it to make it through 5-7 more years without him/us having to deal with a money pit.

I know this is a gun forum but I don't want to join a car forum :) , and all my friends seem to trade up to often to truly judge extended long term reliability. My experience isn't much help here, because with the exception of my current 4Runner, my cars have all been to high end, money pits, slow bleeds, or all af the above. :o

So what say you? :)

jklaughrey
05-30-10, 16:48
1994 Honda Accord 2 door, 225,000. Bought it when I was home on leave while in the military. Didn't drive it much until I got out in 1996, been driving it ever since 30-36mpg. Still use it as my solo long road trip vehicle, otherwise it is the wife's crv or my pilot.

Avenger29
05-30-10, 16:55
636K miles in a '92 Chevy Astro van. Frame cracked at 500 in a place on the side, we welded it up and put her back on the road. 4.3L engine, never a problem. She was smoooootttttthhhhhhh till the end.

My father has 180K on his '99 Suburban last time I checked. Might be up to 190K or so.

Preferred User
05-30-10, 18:33
I know that it will not fall in the "teen cool" category, but I put way over 360K on my '88 Volvo 240. Check out THIS (http://autos.aol.com/used-list/make1-Volvo/model1-240/) link for some examples. Trick it out (or just get fix it parts) at ipd (http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-200/c-1-69/) and you end up with a unique and bulletproof transporter. My friends made fun of it when I first got it, but tinted window, a trick stereo (at the time), some wheels and struts and it was quite the fun ride. And for what you can buy one for you can afford to put a few bucks into customizing it.

Don Robison
05-30-10, 18:40
I put 198K on a four wheel drive 2.3L 5 speed 87 Ford Ranger. I bought it new in 87 and traded it away in 97. Two sets of brakes, 1 timing belt, 1 clutch, 5 sets of tires, two sets of plugs and wires and a drive shaft U joint covered under warranty at 20K. Other than that nothing more than regular fluid changes and tune ups.
My daughter and son-in-law have a Chevy minivan with 240K on it. They just had to replace a broken rocker arm.

MassMark
05-30-10, 19:57
I had a chunk of frame fall off my 1995 Nissan Pathfinder at 301,000 miles. I had plate welded on that fell off after 4,000 miles. The car ran like a top and the dealer i traded it to parted it out. My largest repair bill to that point was $748.00 for a new starter and alternator that crapped out simultaneously at 220,000. Other than that, it was sheer maintenance, (tires, brakes, exhaust, shocks, transmission flush-n-fill, etc).

I decided to buy a big pick-up truck as a replacement, but drove out with a 2003 Nissan Xterra - all manual, (everything including lock-outs). At 179,000 miles, my largest repair bill up until this year was $0.00 Lately however, the sensors are going awry and I just snapped my torsion bar, (I off-road some)...It has been just stellar, though a few acquaintances with similar Xterras with automatic transmissions and power everything have told me of issues with electronics and tranny. Mine has been rock solid and I'd buy another one, if I could find one with lock-out hubs....

ralph
05-30-10, 20:41
I don't think you're going to find anything that, given time won't wear out or fall apart..My '99 Honda CRV for example, has 188,000 on it, It had 23,000 when we bought it used, in 2000. I've replaced the usual brakes, rotors, timing belt, Last spring, front end was shot to the point it was dangerous to drive,(168,000) It was fixed, now, the exhaust system is literally falling off, (Hondas are known for this) It's in such bad shape that the whole exhaust will need replaced, and if I continued to drive it, I'll probably get pulled over for excessive noise. However, for the first 9 years I had zero problems.If I needed a car to depend on for the next 5-10 yrs, I would'nt hesitate to buy another Honda. As it is, I'll drive my pickup ('09 Chevy Silverado) until I get the cash to fix the Honda,I'll give Chevy credit..My truck has a stainless exhaust(including cat converter) all the way back to the muffler...For once sombody was thinking..

theblackknight
05-30-10, 20:42
Not quite to 200000 yet but i got a 98 civic 4door 3 years ago. I bought it at 102000 @ 32mpg. Now it at 143000 and making 38mpg. I have clue why. I run injector cleaner thru every soo and use Mobil full synth 10 30.

Really, get a good priced toyota/honda ecobox. Would I like a fullsize truck or jeep or something? Yeah, but its not in my means and at 38 mpg, I can reach civilization on the weekend for cheaps.The back seat is barely big enuf to my my MTB in with the front wheel off.:D

Dunderway
05-30-10, 20:55
My daily driver is a 1982 Toyota 4X4. I have looked at many, many Toyota pickups with 22R/RE engines with 200 - 350K that still run and drive like new trucks, and have never been rebuilt. I know the little Hondas have a good reputation but I don't know anything about them. From every professional account that I have heard, a well maintained (and sometimes never maintained) 22R series 4-banger will give you at least 200k without any major work or catastrphic failures.

The little Toys are also great offroad, and may be something that your son would keep forever as a utility type vehicle, long after he can afford a nicer daily driver.

rljatl
05-30-10, 21:04
Had a 1990 Acura Integra with ~179,000 trouble free miles.

Currently have a 2001 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 with 140,000 and I expect to get over 200,000 on it.

sinister
05-30-10, 21:17
1986 Honda Accord 4-door went 225,000 miles in 17 years. When the air conditioner compressor finally went the guy said a replacement was more expensive than the car was worth.

Traded it in and I'm sure some kid has a car to get around town.

kwelz
05-30-10, 21:18
Had a 1996 Ford Taurus I finally traded to a friend for some painting work. It has 211,000 and change when he took possession.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-30-10, 21:26
I have 158k on my 2002 jeep grand cherokee. Put in a wheel bearing thats it.

DrMark
05-30-10, 21:27
I have an 1989 Acura Integra with 231k miles.

No major problems.

shadco
05-30-10, 21:36
I recently sold my BMW 540 sport with 275K miles.

Biggest dodad was the driveshaft at about 230K miles due to a broken rear sway bar mount. Otherwise lots of tires, brakes, and lightbulbs.

120mm
05-31-10, 02:25
I like the mid-90s Cherokees, myself.

They have a few, known issues, but once you address them, they should go 300,000 miles, easy.

Iraqgunz
05-31-10, 05:21
My 1997 Chevy Suburban currently has 198K on it. Nothing other than maintenance and some small repairs have been made.

Skyyr
05-31-10, 08:38
Anyone here put 200k+ trouble free miles on a car, light truck, or SUV? By "trouble free" I'm talking oil changes, tires, brakes, timing belt at recommended interval (on interference engines), and maybe a minor do-dad here or there that you broke. But, no money pit or slow bleed.

It's nearing time for my son to get a car that will finish out HS and hopefully take him through college. Given his/our budget, it will likely be high mileage when he gets it, and I would like it to make it through 5-7 more years without him/us having to deal with a money pit.

I know this is a gun forum but I don't want to join a car forum :) , and all my friends seem to trade up to often to truly judge extended long term reliability. My experience isn't much help here, because with the exception of my current 4Runner, my cars have all been to high end, money pits, slow bleeds, or all af the above. :o

So what say you? :)

Well, I haven't hit 200k yet, but I've had two 2000 Ford Tauruses and they've all been great cars and the average mile count is around 160,000 each. The first was was totalled just at 160,000 miles (idiot girl with her boyfriend ran through a stop sign and bent my chassis), and my current is just at 155k.

Aside from oil changes, tires, blinker bulbs, and preventative maintenance, the only things that went wrong between both cars was the following:

Ford Taurus #1:
- PCV Valve went out 125,000 ($85 to fix)

Ford Taurus #2:
- PCV Valve went out at 130,000 ($85 to fix)
- Radiator coolant reservoir cracked and had to be replaced at 135,000 ($500)
- EGR Valve needed to be replaced at 150,000 ($145)

They both get great gas mileage. I do use premium only after 125,000 as the carbon build-up in the cylinders (as with any high mileage car) reduces the compression ratio, but it's not that big a deal. 27 Highway / 22 City / 25mpg overall. A tank of gas will last you about 400 miles, give or take.

And the nicest thing of all... they're cheap. Many companies buy Ford Tauruses as fleet cars and drive them almost exclusively on the interstate, and then sell them at 75,000 - 100,000 miles. Since they're all interstate miles, the transmission and engine aren't stressed or worn nearly as much as an in-city driven car and you can expect another 100,000 out of it, easy. Average price is 3,000 - 6,000 depending on the year. You can get some low-mileage 2000 models for $2,000 and under.

Just my .02.

skyugo
05-31-10, 11:17
i took my 98 corolla to 150,000 miles, no trouble. did front struts, and a few tires.
the kid i sold it to put a clutch in recently. still goin strong. :cool:

M4arc
05-31-10, 11:40
My 1993 Honda Accord was 17 years old and had 260,000 miles on it when I sold it. Nothing major went wrong but I did have all the scheduled maintenance performed by a Honda garage and had to replace the normal wear & tear items. I loved that car.

skyugo
05-31-10, 11:48
My daily driver is a 1982 Toyota 4X4. I have looked at many, many Toyota pickups with 22R/RE engines with 200 - 350K that still run and drive like new trucks, and have never been rebuilt. I know the little Hondas have a good reputation but I don't know anything about them. From every professional account that I have heard, a well maintained (and sometimes never maintained) 22R series 4-banger will give you at least 200k without any major work or catastrphic failures.

The little Toys are also great offroad, and may be something that your son would keep forever as a utility type vehicle, long after he can afford a nicer daily driver.

only thing with the post-84 22 series is they switched to a plastic timing chain guide :mad:
i think your truck has metal guides and a double row chain.. indestructible :cool:

ST911
06-01-10, 12:43
I have more than 200k on my Jeep Cherokee. Highly, highly recommended.

sjc3081
06-01-10, 21:39
98 Maxima 340,000 miles 2 clutches 1 starters 2 alternators
99 Maxima 199,500 miles 1 clutches 1 starters 1 alternators

TY44934
06-02-10, 10:16
Similar experiences with our family Hondas/Acuras - virtually free of breakdowns & only routine maintnance. Exhausts needed repair from time to time though.

Now I am driving an American made car - a 2004 North American Toyota Matrix (actually built in Canada - which is part of N.America last I checked) w/ only 50K mi and it is flawless. I will probably buy another Toyota or Honda someday far in the future, as they last and last.

EzGoingKev
06-02-10, 18:13
I have had a bunch of cars I have run up to between 225-250K miles on them without any major issues.

For the most part all I did was change the oil with synthetic, service the transmissions here and there, brakes & a tune up when needed, battery, alternator, and a starter or two but nothing huge and never really got stuck anyplace.

Terry
07-10-10, 15:01
My wife and I both had over 150k on our jeep cherokee's before we sold them.

white spaniard
07-11-10, 09:40
Have a 1981 Isuzu I-mark diesel that has 750K on it, only major thing I had to replace so far is the clutch in 1993. Frame is falling apart but engine is still going,

Nathan_Bell
07-11-10, 15:23
Jeep Cherokee. The I-6 in that is a great motor. You take care of it and it will take care of you. Buddy had 298K on his when it caught fire. IIRC the only thing beyond wear items he had to replace was a radiator. Mine had 56k on it when I rolled it at 70. Kept me in one piece.
The other domestic that I have seen live a loong time, is not even as cool as the Cherokee.
Buick Century.
Made them forever, parts are easy to come by. They are not that hard to work on. Had 178K on the one we sold and we still see it around town 7 years later. Know of another that was at 298K when Ohio finally killed it and the engine subframe rusted out so bad that it tried to drive off by itself, leaving the body behind.
Those two are ugly, but solid transportation.

Kentucky Cop
07-11-10, 15:40
Have a 1981 Isuzu I-mark diesel that has 750K on it, only major thing I had to replace so far is the clutch in 1993. Frame is falling apart but engine is still going,

I believe I will have to call this the "Winner" thus far and would love to see pics of this beast!

KC

ST911
07-11-10, 16:22

750k. That's getting your money's worth. Ever sit down and figure out how much you've spent on fuel?

arizonaranchman
07-11-10, 20:57
I've had great service from simple Toyota trucks with that 4-cyl 22R motor. I got 356K out of a '92 2x4 Toy. It was all original when i sold it, just many sets of tires, several batteries, oil changes and air filters. Otherwise the truck was all original except for changing the radiator twice i think it was.

SkiDevil
07-11-10, 21:40
I am going to have to agree with several of the other members, particularly where it concerns the Toyota and Honda makes. These cars are very reliable generally easy to find used as well.

My family has owned several Hondas and Toyotas. I have to agree with Dundree on his thoughts concerning the 22r engines. Those motors are almost bullet-proof. I drove a Toyota pick-up for many years and it was an excellent vehicle.

Concerning a choice for a vehicle for your son. I would try to find an older/ early model Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. Both are excellent vehicles. Chances are if you take the time to look around you may find a really nice vehicle for several thousand dollars that will last him many years. I personally favor the civic becuase they generally get better mileage, however, the down-side is they are consistently stolen for the parts (parted-out).

Another great compact car is the Nissan Sentra. Those early models are very problem free vehicles as well.

If you opt to purchase the vehicle used, stay clear of the car dealers. You will get more for your money buying from a private party. Also, look around your neighborhood. My sister found a used Honda Accord very reasonably priced four blocks away. Drove the car for ten years, then gave it to her daughter who now drives it.

Good Luck in your search.
SkiDevil

P.S. I would also check the newspaper and recycler type ads. Many seniors advertise their vehicles for sale in these and purchasing from a responsible adult generally yields a vehicle in better condition. Also, ask for service records/ receipts, most people who maintain their vehicles will have these available. ;)

jwfuhrman
07-11-10, 22:09
1967 GMC 3/4qtr ton Pickup with 6cylinder 305 4speed stick, Factory 4wheel drive. Yea, thats right, a 6 cylinder 305 and factory 4wheel drive.

Other than new wood for the bed(back when the beds floors were wood), and new tires, oil, battery, ect, I just rounded 205,000 ORIGINAL miles.... most reliable truck I have ever had.... Its my SHTF vehicle.

Grandpa bought it brand new in 67', then dad bought it from him in 77', and I bought from him in 01'

I'm having it re-painted and what not at the moment so when its done, Ill get some pics.

Avenger29
07-12-10, 00:47
1967 GMC 3/4qtr ton Pickup with 6cylinder 305 4speed stick, Factory 4wheel drive. Yea, thats right, a 6 cylinder 305 and factory 4wheel drive.

Other than new wood for the bed(back when the beds floors were wood), and new tires, oil, battery, ect, I just rounded 205,000 ORIGINAL miles.... most reliable truck I have ever had.... Its my SHTF vehicle.

Grandpa bought it brand new in 67', then dad bought it from him in 77', and I bought from him in 01'

I'm having it re-painted and what not at the moment so when its done, Ill get some pics.

That's quite a feat for an older vehicle. 100K-200K isn't a big deal for vehicles today, but for cars and trucks from way back then...

M4Fundi
07-12-10, 01:56
1994 Toy 4Runner I got 265k on her before she died. Great vehicle!

jwfuhrman
07-12-10, 08:02
That's quite a feat for an older vehicle. 100K-200K isn't a big deal for vehicles today, but for cars and trucks from way back then...

yep, but my idea of "regular maintence" is probably different than others.

Plugs/Wires every 50,000, tranny service every 65,000, stuff like that

Plus Since Dad bought it from Gpa in 77, the only oil its had run thru it is Mobil 1 full synthetic changed every 4,500 instead of 5,000.