PDA

View Full Version : cleaning bezel of weaponlight

rob_s
05-30-10, 18:57
I have a Surefire X200 with over 2k rounds on it mounted to a Glock 19. There is a significant amount of soot on the lens, and i am leery of what to use to clean it as I don't want something too caustic which might eat the plastic.

Any known solutions?

thopkins22
05-30-10, 19:08
I've had exceptional results using a tiny dab of toothpaste on a Q-tip, cleaned off by another Q-tip or two and only marginal results using alcohol. I don't think the toothpaste was abrasive enough to damage or scratch the tempered glass.

I've heard of putting a light coat of petroleum jelly on the glass to make removal of carbon easier, but I don't know if it would do anything after the fact. I also remember something in the operators manual from surefire about not using petroleum jelly on the o-rings, whether or not it would have any effect from being on the bezel is beyond me.

Cagemonkey
05-30-10, 19:15
I'd think some dishwashing soap and hot water would work. Could use some diluted Simple Green. Find a piece of hard clear plastic to experiment on if you have any doubts.

Joeywhat
05-30-10, 19:16
Toothpaste works very well.

I have seen people put a grease/oil on it to make it easier to clean but don't know for sure what's used.

GLOCKMASTER
05-30-10, 19:35
WD-40 pen (http://www.wd40.com/products/no-mess-pen/). On the range I just use a knife if it gets too thick.

markm
05-30-10, 19:36
Pencil Eraser has reportedly yielded jaw dropping results. I've never tried it, but people report that it works wonders.

RogerinTPA
05-30-10, 19:53
For cleaning, if I forget to apply a thin layer of lube or Vaseline as a coating, plain rubbing alcohol using a cue tip. Also Chap stick. Kyle Lamb suggested it during his VTAC 1.5 Pistol course. Most folks carry it all the time. A little swipe on the lens and the carbon is easily removed with any cloth available. Plus the light is still usable.

SmokeJumper
05-31-10, 00:56
We use Windex window cleaner out at the range for work with a softer small nylon brush. It seems to work rather well. However, best results are right after the current range session, a wait of a day or more and scrubbing it off is a pain. Our rangemaster recommended a light coat of Break-Free on the lens before shooting, did this at a night shoot this week and it seemed to work, easy cleaning. Gonna try the pencil eraser idea as well.

tucsonan
05-31-10, 01:25
Pencil eraser is what they specify in the manual. I have tried it and it works.

R.D.
05-31-10, 16:00
Another vote for the pencil eraser. Just clean it on a piece of paper when it gets covered in carbon and I occasionaly square the end of the eraser with a razor to get to edges of the light bezel.

JeepDriver
05-31-10, 16:22
Pencil Eraser

The X300 on my 226 looks as good as new.

Gutshot John
05-31-10, 16:48
Knife works fine in a pinch.

SeriousStudent
05-31-10, 18:29
I followed a tip from John_Wayne777, and applied a light coat of Meguiars car wax to the front of the lens, prior to shooting.

Clean up is really easy, even with WWB, UMC or the cheap Federal 9mm ball ammo from Wally World, and that's pretty dirty stuff. The soot just wipes off.

Before that I used Windex and paper towels, but this takes a lot less elbow grease.

JSantoro
05-31-10, 20:39
Pencil Eraser has reportedly yielded jaw dropping results. I've never tried it, but people report that it works wonders.

Yep, that and the toothpaste. Both abrasive enough to get rid of surface scut without damaging that kind of glass. The ones on #2 pencils also work very well if you ever need to clean light surface corrosion from battery leads inside a compartment.

Rain-X, Cat Crap (not actual feline poo, you sick jerks, this: http://www.campmor.com/cat-crap-anti-fog-lens-cleaner-1.shtml?source=GAN&cm_mmc=GAN-_-Google%20Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Primary-_-), diluted diswashing detergent or other liquid soap...anything non-caustic that puts an extra floating layer over the glass.

SmokeJumper
06-01-10, 17:44
Rain-X, Cat Crap (not actual feline poo, you sick jerks, this: http://www.campmor.com/cat-crap-anti-fog-lens-cleaner-1.shtml?source=GAN&cm_mmc=GAN-_-Google%20Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Primary-_-), diluted diswashing detergent or other liquid soap...anything non-caustic that puts an extra floating layer over the glass.

I've used Cat Crap on goggles, will have to give it a try on the weapon light. Thanks for the info.

tracker722
06-01-10, 19:11

orionz06
06-02-10, 11:54
I use a microfiber with some alcohol on it, but I generally don't let it wait more than a few hundred rounds. It is simple enough for me to get a corner of the cloth wet and wipe it down. For nasty build up, I will second the pencil eraser, works very well.

Dennis
06-02-10, 15:38
I have used Flitz and Blue Magic polish with great results. Both will leave a light film on the lens and make subsequent cleaning very easy.

Second on the Flitz, I only need to reapply it every several range sessions.

boganz45
06-03-10, 02:50
Pink #2 Pencil Eraser and then 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and Rag.

noops
06-09-10, 13:50
I've used the stuff you get to clean eyeglasses, that works pretty well. Probably just fancy smelling windex though...

deuce9166
06-09-10, 16:12
I have had good luck with Simple Green and then use an eraser for the crud left behind. This one got pretty dirty. I use masking tape as a preventative now.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/deuce9166/100_0861.jpg

Hashmark
06-12-10, 00:40
I've always used the pencil eraser. Hell, I used soap and water and that worked too. Never thought of anything else that's been stated. I don't know how many times I used a knife to scrape the crap off while in the field.

uwe1
06-12-10, 15:58
WD-40 pen (http://www.wd40.com/products/no-mess-pen/). On the range I just use a knife if it gets too thick.

This is the method that Mike, the assistant trainer to Pat, demonstrated to us at a EAG Pistol 2 course. I got home from the course and cleaned off the lens of my TLR1 with a quick spray and a patch to wipe it. No pen needed.

blade_68
06-18-10, 03:08
I use dish soap on my TLR-1, so far worked for me. let some dry on lens then can wet and wipe off.
I don't like the thought of scrapping of a lens with steel if scratched its more likely to break and the
chance of messing up the edge seal? I may try the wax/ vasaline trick though

jamaicanj
01-14-11, 03:47
Thanks for all the tips. I've used the pencil eraser and received good results getting the lens clean. Once clean, I applied a quick coat of chapstick to the lens and it made cleaning off the lens so much easier.

The housing of the lamp does not look all that great though. Any other tips on cleaning the body of the lamp?

orionz06
01-14-11, 05:47
Thanks for all the tips. I've used the pencil eraser and received good results getting the lens clean. Once clean, I applied a quick coat of chapstick to the lens and it made cleaning off the lens so much easier.

The housing of the lamp does not look all that great though. Any other tips on cleaning the body of the lamp?

A soft microfiber and isopropyl alcohol. Takes 10 seconds, honestly. When I get out next I will make a video showing how easy it is.

Leonidas
01-14-11, 14:15
I have used Slip2000 Carbon Killer with good results

Skang
01-15-11, 01:02
Is the lens glass?

If not, careful with products you guys use.

fletch133
01-16-11, 01:33
Pencil Eraser works well

Hmac
01-16-11, 07:17
Is the lens glass?

If not, careful with products you guys use.

It's polycarbonate (Lexan or equivalent). Pretty resistant to most aliphatic compounds, like gasoline or petroleum distillates, not so much to aromatic solvents like lacquer thinner or ketones like acetone.

WD40 as a cleaning solvent should be fine for most types of lexan. Alcohols won't damage its structure but can damage the surface (make it cloudy).