PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Holsters?

loupav
05-30-10, 20:07
I was just curious, but does anyone actually use shoulder holsters anymore? I was at the coffee shop a few days ago and saw ONE detective with LAPD carry his Beretta 92 in a Shoulder rig, but that's it.

I'll admit, I have a Miami Classic for My Beretta just because I think it looks cool. But I never use it. Just wondering if anyone here does.

Thanks guys. :)

sparky241
05-30-10, 20:52
i have one i bought for my rugar p90 about 10 years ago and haven't used it 6 times.

CyberM4
05-30-10, 20:59
I had too throw mine out. Do to the nice warm weather we have down here in FLA. Mildew killed them.

HeavyDuty
05-30-10, 21:08
I've been using a Null City Slicker with a succession of J frames over the last 20 or so years but that's it. Most shoulder rigs are uncomfortable for me.

gunnut284
05-30-10, 21:15
I occasionally use one while riding my motorcycle.

jahwarrior1423
05-30-10, 21:17
I would consider buying one for when Im out wheeling in my truck. Would keep the gun close and would seem to be more comfortable than having a waist holster...

Buck
05-30-10, 21:56
I do from time to time... The best bang for the "Buck" so to speak I have found is the Rosen rig sold by Dillon... All rigs are not created equil...

B

Dunderway
05-30-10, 22:10
I have one for wade-fishing, where it works really well.

BillSWPA
05-30-10, 22:42
I haven't worn one in a long time, but for a period of about 8 years, it was one of my main concealment holsters. I have found that horizontal shoulder holsters conceal very well under waist-length casual jackets, with less danger of accidental exposure of the gun than an IWB holster. They are also good while travelling - they provide the best answer I have seen to the question of what to do with the gun in a restroom stall.

I find that the "Miami Classic" style with its figure-8 harness is the most comfortable because it keeps the pressure off the back of my neck. The spare magazines provide some balance, and the magazine pouch is a comfortable thing to have under your armpit.

Adjusting the straps so that the gun is carried relatively high under the arms eliminates both swinging and the need for waist attachments. Although there is a point of diminishing returns, I find that unless the gun is so high that it is being pulled so that the butt is sticking out, higher is generally better.

I stopped using them because, after some formal training, I found that I was a well-oiled machine when drawing from the strong side hip, but had a higher than acceptable likelihood of flubbing a draw from a shoulder holster. Strong side IWB also provides me with consistency of carry - it can hide under an untucked polo shirt, a jacket, a sweater, etc.

I still consider them to be a valuable tool in the toolbox.

Outrider
05-31-10, 03:11
To a degree, all concealment holsters are task-specific. Shoulder holsters can make sense if you spend a lot of your time in a vehicle or you want the convenience of easy on and easy off with your pistol rig.

Keydet08
05-31-10, 04:41
Its a good holster if you have to carry a pistol but never really intend on using it. Here on KAF in sunny southern Afghanistan they are all the rage with the pog types.

loupav
05-31-10, 10:47
Wow. I'm glad I asked. The answers surprised me. I thought everyone here was going to flame shoulder rigs.

Thanks guys. ;)

ST911
06-01-10, 12:56
I have a couple and rarely use them. It is a completely divergent carry and presentation method than those I use otherwise, and requires it's own exercises in proficiency I just don't have time for. They have a place, but they are getter fewer and fewer.

I find that most folks who wear shoulder holsters, especially cops, do so in pursuit of an image not a specific functionality.

Beat Trash
06-01-10, 13:25
They are highly frowned upon with my Department. Weapon retention is a royal bitch.

The biggest opponent of shoulder holsters was an officer who had his weapon taken during a struggle to arrest an individual. No one got shot, but it got very ugly for 4-5 minutes while fighting for control of the weapon. He was wearing a Miami Vice type holster.

I see them as a mission specific type of holster, similar to a cross draw holster. Driving for extended periods in a car, and expecting to have to engage while still seated in the car would be about the only time I could see using one.

kaltblitz
06-02-10, 05:00
We have a few plainclothes guys (detectives) carrying Alessi Bodyguard rigs. I agree that not all shoulder rigs are created equal.

sjohnny
06-02-10, 07:50
I would think extra training would be absolutely necessary if you normally carry somewhere near your belt. The muscle memory will very likely get you.

There was a story many years ago of a long time cop who had always carried in or on his belt. His wife bought him a shoulder rig as a present. He strapped it on and went to the store which got robbed while he was there. As he had always trained to draw from the hip and not from the pit he was shot while fumbling for his gun.

bigghoss
06-02-10, 18:14
I use one for my ruger blackhawk when I'm in the woods. under a big dickies work shirt you don't notice the huge hogleg under my arm and it keeps it high in case I'm walking through tall wet grass or have to wade a stream.

Roy
06-03-10, 13:38
Ordered one for my 21/0r 20 for Fly fishing. no belts on my waders