PDA

View Full Version : g17 locking back on partial mag

mark1JT
05-30-10, 22:22
Went to range yesterday. my 3rd gen G17 was locking back on partial full mag, sometimes 1-2 rounds left, sometimes 7-8 left. Rounds were 147 gr winchester SXT and or 147 gr american eagle fmj.

Any ideas on what would cause this malfunction?

Thanks for any help folks.

Apollo11
05-30-10, 22:30
How many rounds through the pistol, and has this happned before? Where is your thumb in relation to the slide lock? Could you be pushing up on the slide lock when the pistol recoils?

LOKNLOD
05-30-10, 22:38
Do you have an extended slide stop lever?

Have you had it stripped apart recently? At a class last month, there was a guy with a Glock with the slide release installed with the spring in a bind that was causing him to get random lock-ups.

Assy Mcgee
05-30-10, 22:41
you're either contacting the slide stop during firing, or the slide stop spring is bad.

those are the most likely culprits. :)

westcoastfrog
05-31-10, 00:43
i had the same problem with my g17. buddy of mine who used to instruct for glock told me it was the slide stop spring. he was obviously correct and fixed the issue for me.

skyugo
05-31-10, 02:07
make sure the slide stop spring is UNDER the little pin.
if you've recently detail stripped your lower, you probably put it back together wrong :o

PaulL
05-31-10, 02:25
Sounds like the slide stop spring to me, too. My buddy just did this to his the other day. His spring was under the pin, but had been pushed off to one side. On reassembly, make sure you put the top pin in first and then push the slide stop in under it.

Sambo526
05-31-10, 07:03
I just had this same issue occur. The slide on my duty issue Glock 22 was locking back every couple of rounds. After giving the gun to our armorer, it was found to be a worn out slide stop spring. If it isn't you're grip or a lube issue, I would definitely agree with everyone else here and say it's your slide stop spring.

mark1JT
05-31-10, 19:12
thanks for all the replies folks. A friend (a glock armorer) had the frame apart some time ago but I shot it after that without issue. It is a extended slide stop and I may be hitting it with my grip. I'll take the gun back to my friend to make sure that it has not been put back together wrong.

Oh yeah I have about 2K rounds through the gun, basically brand new.

John_Wayne777
06-01-10, 07:29
If your friend actually is a certified armorer and you're using an extended slide stop, I'd say your grip is probably the culprit. The extended slide stop is a real problem for right handed shooters as their weak hand often bumps it during recoil unless they spend considerable time reworking their grip.

mark1JT
06-01-10, 19:18
If your friend actually is a certified armorer and you're using an extended slide stop, I'd say your grip is probably the culprit. The extended slide stop is a real problem for right handed shooters as their weak hand often bumps it during recoil unless they spend considerable time reworking their grip.

Your likely dead on with this as my friend is a certified armorer. I may need to go back to the normal slide stop as I only shoot Glock for recreation. I shoot a 1911 style pistol for work.

Thanks

mark1JT
06-01-10, 23:24
just got back from the armorer, everything was fine, so likely operator error. Going to the range at the end of the week and will try some more one handed and off handed shooting just to confirm even further.

bigghoss
06-02-10, 18:10
when I shoot most pistols I have to keep my right (dominate) thumb bent up at 90 degrees to keep my thumb off the slide stop, usually my problem is keeping the slide from locking back on an empty mag.

mark1JT
06-04-10, 17:42
just got back from the range. 1 stoppage that I have confirmed is self induced. After this stoppage I did a number of strings of dominate hand only and off hand only shooting with no issues.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.