PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviations ???

jkwrangler
05-31-10, 07:38
Hello all. I am new to this forum and know very little about the AR series rifle. I am beginning research to buy a M4 and I am a little confused by all the abbreviations. Is there a chart or webpage I can look at to understand what all the abbreviations (A1, A2, etc..) stand for? Also, it seems there is a lot of mix and match to components on these rifles. Is that really necessary? I am on a tight budget and will only be able to afford to get one rifle (Colt and Daniels Defense are my two choices so far). Is there anything wrong with buying a complete rifle? Thanks in advance.

blackbox
05-31-10, 08:38
hope this helps, it did and still does for me! theres just toooo many acronyms out there.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/AR-Acronym-Thread-t26272.html

jaydoc1
05-31-10, 09:00
Also, it seems there is a lot of mix and match to components on these rifles. Is that really necessary? I am on a tight budget and will only be able to afford to get one rifle (Colt and Daniels Defense are my two choices so far). Is there anything wrong with buying a complete rifle?

Not only is there nothing wrong with buying a complete rifle, I think it's the best idea for your first rifle. A lot of the individuals on this site have been shooting the AR platform so much and for so long that they can easily put together a rifle based on their preferences and experiences with different manufacturers components. For them, building a rifle themselves means they can get everything they want and usually for less money than they could buying a complete rifle.
For the rest of us, buying a complete rifle from one of the top-tier manufacturers is a better choice since they are likely to run well, be dependable, and have fewer problems than a poorly-built frankenrifle. Once you've been shooting awhile the modular nature of the platform will encourage you to try different things with your rifle or maybe to build your own in the future.

You've come to the right place to learn about the AR platform and I'll let people much more experienced than me make recommendations about specific rifles to you (although you've chosen well with Colt and Daniel Defense). The only thing I'd say is check out BCM also. They are making fantastic stuff. Okay so maybe I did make a recommendation.

tsconver
05-31-10, 09:47
the big advantage to buying a complete lower and a complete upper and assembling yourself is you do not pay the government excise tax that is charged when a manufacturer puts the two pieces together for you. So if you can put two pins in then buy then as two pieces and save a few bucks.

jaydoc1
05-31-10, 10:06
the big advantage to buying a complete lower and a complete upper and assembling yourself is you do not pay the government excise tax that is charged when a manufacturer puts the two pieces together for you. So if you can put two pins in then buy then as two pieces and save a few bucks.

That's true and i agree with you if he is talking about just buying a complete upper and complete lower. When he asked about components I assumed he was talking in terms of building off stripped or not complete uppers and lowers. Big distinction there. It might be obvious to those of us who've been shooting ARs for awhile. Not necessarily so for a newcomer.

SeriousStudent
05-31-10, 10:15
Here's a link to a list, from one of our more learned members.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=8917

And there is nothing wrong at all with buying a complete rifle for your first AR. Buying a quality brand is the best value proposition. The two makers you mentioned (Colt and DD) are both highly thought of here.

And welcome aboard. :)

jkwrangler
05-31-10, 13:51
Thanks a lot. I looked at the AR15 website and that helps a lot. It's also good to know I can buy a complete rifle for a start.

jaydoc1
05-31-10, 16:18
Thanks a lot. I looked at the AR15 website and that helps a lot. It's also good to know I can buy a complete rifle for a start.

The key word is start. AR platform rifles are like drugs, or at least potato chips. Good luck with your future addiction. Once you buy a rifle I suggest you never visit this site again because there is no end to the amount of money you will end up wanting to spend on one looking at others' rifles here. :D. Optics, rails, stocks, BCGs, you name it! If you don't know they exist you won't want to buy them!