PDA

View Full Version : Damage to Chrome Lining

ssgjason
05-31-10, 08:25
I picked up a used Colt MatchTarget LightWeight rifle. It was dirty when I bought it and I was unable to fairly evaluate the condition of the barrel. I would say there are at least 3000-5000 rounds thru it based on the condition of the BCG. The issue is that there appears to be pitting in the barrel. After a thorough cleaning, I can clearly see pitting in at least the the last two inches of the barrel. This rifle is not threaded so the barrel was not used with a suppressor. I have never seen this with a CL barrel, even the shot-out barrels of my basic training rifle.
I shot it and it shoots well and considering the cost, I am still very comfortable with the purchase.
Has anyone seen this before and what do you think would cause this?

5pins
05-31-10, 11:40
Are you sure it’s chrome lined? The match target I had was not. What are the markings on the barrel.

ssgjason
05-31-10, 12:56
Are you sure it’s chrome lined? The match target I had was not. What are the markings on the barrel.

Thanks for the reply.
Barrel markings are as follows: C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7---Barrel Dated 6/99

It also has a ring around the chamber at the extension which looks like a normal ring from chrome lining.

At first I thought it may be copper build up, but after running a brush and solvent (including copper solvent), they marks are still their. I may have a camera at work that may be able to take pictures, but it would be a few days before I could post those.

5pins
05-31-10, 14:22
I don’t think yours is chromed. Mine was marked the same way and it was not chromed. Here is a link to a site that list barrel markings.

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/

MtCarbine
05-31-10, 15:42
Most Match target Colt's built in the post ban years only had the chromelined chamber but not barrel

MistWolf
05-31-10, 16:06
Sometimes fouling occurs that's so heavy that it needs serious cleaning and a few passes with a brush won't do. You may have to resort to overnight soakings and repeated scrubbings. Sometimes you have to clean a bore with different solvents to remove all the different types of fouling that might be in there. If the rifle was fired with a 22 LR adapter, it could be lead fouling.

If you want to know what's up with your bore before investing in a heavy duty cleaning regimen, see if you can have it inspected with a bore-scope