PDA

View Full Version : P30 or Sig 229 Elite for CCW?

jeh
05-31-10, 10:17
I have carried a Sig 226 in .40 cal. on duty for almost 10 years. I'm now looking for a new off duty carry gun. I like the P30, but I've trained long term on the Sig platform, so under stress am I better sticking to the Sig? I like the new 220 Carry Elites and 229 Elite Sigs. Any opinions would be appreciated.

loupav
05-31-10, 10:36
I see no reason in you deviating from what you are most familiar with. Unless of course you are worried about weight and/or SIG's new QC issues.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-31-10, 10:39
Also look into the excellent p2000

Looey
05-31-10, 10:40
Go Sig, you carry it at work. the more you practice with it the better you will become on or off duty.

BrigandTwoFour
05-31-10, 10:44
FWIW I have read of some people complaining about the texture of the P30 grip when using it for CCW. It tears up shirts and skin pretty equally.

Other than that, though, I've heard nothing but good things. I've been bouncing back and forth between a P30 or a Sig 226 myself.

CyberM4
05-31-10, 10:47
For me the P30 was the way too go. The P30 fit better in my hand. That's why I bought one. but it comes down to what works for you. Are you looking for 9MM or 40 S&W?

CyberM4
05-31-10, 10:50
FWIW I have read of some people complaining about the texture of the P30 grip when using it for CCW. It tears up shirts and skin pretty equally.

Other than that, though, I've heard nothing but good things. I've been bouncing back and forth between a P30 or a Sig 226 myself.

I've carried my P30 for 2+ years. IWB with no Holster. It has never torn any of my shirts. Plus the P30 is a Tactical Weapon first and foremost. Made for MIL and LEO.

BrigandTwoFour
05-31-10, 11:15
I've carried my P30 for 2+ years. IWB with no Holster. It has never torn any of my shirts. Plus the P30 is a Tactical Weapon first and foremost. Made for MIL and LEO.

Good enough for me. I'm no expert.

jsbcody
05-31-10, 12:30
If you do go with a SIG, may I suggest the P229 SAS Gen II instead of an Elite. The 229 SAS Gen II doesn't have the rail or extended tang and has been dehorned, making it a bit easier to carry concealed (IMHO).

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=8&productid=254

kjdoski
05-31-10, 13:30
If you carry a P226 on duty, then, the P229 seems like an obvious choice. It will fit your hand like a glove, the trigger pull will be the same, the balance and "point" will be similar. The down side to the P229 is its weight. You're really not gaining much by "down gunning" from the P226 (.6" of barrel/slide and less than .1" of grip height). When I had an issued P228, I bought a P226R and carried it, both on and off duty, with no problem. I really think that, if you can conceal the P229, you can conceal the P226. Then you can save your money and go to a good training course or buy a buttload of ammunition to practice with.

If you're really looking for a smaller, lighter weapon, then the P30 seems to make sense.

Regards,

Kevin

Entropy
05-31-10, 14:39
For me, the more I play around with a pistol that uses a different control layout than the pistol that I use on duty the more it messes up my muscle memory. I use a Sig P229 on duty, but I also love H&K pistols. Every time I spend a significant amount of time shooting my H&Ks and then go to an instructor course or a stressed course of fire I fumble for my Sig controls.

"Fear the man who has only one gun......he will know how to use it."

If you want to go H&K for your CCW, that's fine. However, I recommend that you also make your duty weapon the H&K too so that your training time with your CCW also maximizes your training on the duty weapon and you reduce the risk of cross-over muscle memory. If you are required to carry the Sig for your agency, then your answer is simple......stick with the Sig. However, avoid the "Elite" Sig models and stick with the standard P229 models.

gtmtnbiker98
05-31-10, 14:48
Stick with the Sig for the previously stated reasons.

IrishDevil
05-31-10, 15:31
If you do go with a SIG, may I suggest the P229 SAS Gen II instead of an Elite. The 229 SAS Gen II doesn't have the rail or extended tang and has been dehorned, making it a bit easier to carry concealed (IMHO).

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=8&productid=254

This would also be my recommendation. The beaver tail on the newer models actually keeps you from getting a high grip. Which IMO, is pretty important when it comes to running a pistol at speed. Especially so when the Sig's have a slightly higher boreline.

HK45
05-31-10, 16:35
I would not buy a current Sig. Parts quality, quality control, and customer service are below previous standards so they no longer warrant their premium price. The P30 is an excellent and more modern pistol than the P229 plus more ergonomic. But if you switch brands you should probably strongly consider a Glock 19 as well.

jnc36rcpd
05-31-10, 18:02
The moment of truth is not the moment I'd want to be fumbling with the controls of my pistol. I agree that you're better off staying with a SIG.

Carrying a 226R .40 on duty and owning a 229R, I have to say that the size and weight differences are minimal. You might look around for a used 228 which is my usual off-duty carry when I'm not carrying my duty weapon.

It is a shame that SIG doesn't produce a mid-sized, high capacity weapon such as the G-19/23.

Omega Man
05-31-10, 21:04
I have both and like both, but the P30 is my favorite pistol. My 1st pistols were all Sig's, and i thought that was it until i got a hold of a P30. The P30's grip ergos are better, its lighter, and its slightly more accurate for me than the 229. Both guns are DA/SA. The P30 has the decocker on the back of the slide near the hammer. It was not a big deal to get used to this and i can switch back & forth from Sig's to HK's, and its no problem. You just need to familiarize yourself with the P30's operation. Its not rocket science.

At this point the only other pistol i will carry, is the G19. But the P30 remains my favorite, even over the Glock.

HK45
05-31-10, 23:04
I would add that the P30 is also available with the LEM trigger. I assume you can still get the Sig with a DAK trigger but I seem to be the only person who ever liked the DAK. :)