PDA

View Full Version : Left Hand Stag Arms

FutureMarine
05-31-10, 13:48
Im thinking about getting a Stag Arms left handed version but not sure which one. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

GotAmmo
05-31-10, 13:54
wow i had no idea there was a company for lefties.... glad i clicked on your thread. too bad i'm of no help

NCPatrolAR
05-31-10, 13:54
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

also do a search and you should net a few threads about this

randolph
05-31-10, 14:22
If you are truly a "Future Marine" dont you think training with a weapon thats opposite hand of your future issue weapon is well...
dumb ?

marco.g
05-31-10, 15:03
Also parts interchangeability could become an issue with a lefty upper. Get a standard "righty" AR and if need be you can get ambi controls on the lower.

GotAmmo
05-31-10, 15:16
Get a standard "righty" AR and if need be you can get ambi controls on the lower.

maybe that isnt his issue with wanting a lefty. After 12 yrs getting CLP and carbon spit in my face thanks to Uncle Sams standard "righty", some would like a choice

LOKNLOD
05-31-10, 15:25
FutureMarine:

I see 9 different left-handed AR models on Stag's Website. (http://www.stagarms.com/index.php?cPath=13_21) Which one is right, er, correct for you will really depend on what your intended usage could be. Plinker? Varmint hunter? Bench shooting? Do you intend to add lots of modifications, or do you want something that you can just shoot as is with no additional investment? It's really impossible for us to divine your wants or needs, so fill us in and then we can advise which model might work for you.

The question you didn't ask, but everyone seems intent to answer: "is a left-handed AR even a good idea for you?" is worth considering, as well.

markm
05-31-10, 15:28
If you are truly a "Future Marine" dont you think training with a weapon thats opposite hand of your future issue weapon is well...
dumb ?

I've seen these left handed guns out in the sticks. For anyting other than a dedicated recreational gun, it's a bad idea.

mutterranch
06-01-10, 20:36
I've got the Stag 2L because I wanted to mount an Aimpoint but did not want the railed forend. I love it!

Because it is a "Lefty" upper, I also bought an extra bolt carrier group with it just in case. I added an ambi charging handle. There are a couple out there. Pick the one you like.

The lower is regular "Righty" that came with an ambi safety lever installed. I added a Norgon AmbiCatch mag release.

I have always shot right handed rifles and I've always done quite well with them BUT..... It sure is nice not having brass and gas and powder residue flying across my face! All that being said; the biggest improvements in handling come from those three ambidextrous parts - Charging handle, Mag release, and Safety switch. I don't know about the Marine's weapons protocol but if you could add those three parts to your service rifle, your manual of arms would be exactlythe same.

Don't listen to the naysayers. If you want a "Lefty"...go for it. I'm glad I did.

fdxpilot
06-01-10, 23:26
If you are thinking of a caliber other than 5.56/.223, my advice would be to stay away from the Stag 6.8SPC models. I have had nothing but trouble with mine. I have yet to get a full mag of any ammo to fire without FTFs. I have tried the included Stag (C-products) mag, 25 and 5 rd PRI mags, and Barrett 30 rd mags. For ammo, I have used SSA 90gr TNT and 110gr ProHunter, Hornaday 110gr Vmax, and S&B 110gr PTS. While tweaking the feed lips on the PRI mags helped somewhat, they are still not 100%. Just my opinion, but Stag's lack of M4 ramps is a major drawback in the 6.8 caliber. I've ordered an ARP 6.8 upper and am sending the Stag back once the new upper arrives.

axisofignorance
06-02-10, 05:27
If you have the money http://www.lefthandrifles.com/ar/ is a distributor for lefty noveske's.

I talked to Mike at lefthandrifles and he specified that each of their bolts are shot peened and mp tested.

Im working on barrel connections as we speak and your lefty build barrel choices are:

Noveske afghan, 16.1" recon or 18" spr stainless.
CMMG will install an ambi extension on any of their barrels.
anything by white oak armament

Besides the BCG, upper receiver and barrel extension the rest of the parts are swappable. So it is possible with a little effort to make a high quality left hand build.

sjohnny
06-02-10, 07:23
What's the difference in a left handed barrel extension?

epf
06-02-10, 07:33
dumb ?

Correct. I recommend learing proper left hand manipulation. There are some good videos for left hand techniques posted at the Grey Group Community page.

http://community.greygrouptraining.com/categories/Training.aspx

C4IGrant
06-02-10, 08:56
Pass on them.

C4

dave43
06-02-10, 09:56
I'm surprised there is so much negative feedback on Stag. I thought their parent company CMT was well thought of and machined parts for some higher end companies. I understand they aren't at the level of Noveske, Larue, etc.. but I thought they were above RRA, CMMG, DPMS, etc....

unimoger
06-02-10, 12:23
I have 2 Stag Arms rifles and have had no problems with them ever. I would recomend them to others as well. I will be buying several more in the "Left Hand" version as well. The rifles I have are the M-4 flat/rail type.

C4IGrant
06-02-10, 12:40
I'm surprised there is so much negative feedback on Stag. I thought their parent company CMT was well thought of and machined parts for some higher end companies. I understand they aren't at the level of Noveske, Larue, etc.. but I thought they were above RRA, CMMG, DPMS, etc....

I think you have to realize which model we are discussing in this thread (the left handed model). I would take the standard model over BM, RRA, DPMS, etc. With that said, there are better options out there for about the same price to $100 more.

You can get into an LMT, BCM or DD for under $1k where a Stag will run around $875 (depending on the model). That $100 buys you a huge difference in the quality of the components.

Most don't like the lefty model because it uses none standard parts. So finding spares is not going to be easy.

As the father of a left handed son, I understand that when lefty shooters find a company catering to them, they get all excited. They have to remember that they live in a right handed world and those products geared towards lefty shooters are generally subpar.

C4

11B101ABN
06-02-10, 13:26
I've seen these left handed guns out in the sticks. For anyting other than a dedicated recreational gun, it's a bad idea.

This, and only this.

As a 'future" Marine, dont fool yourself into thinking that you should do anything close to training, as the Corps will handle that. AFTER boot, go polish up what basics the Corps has given you.

A left handed ar is not a training tool, it is a plinker/novelty.

plk1222
06-02-10, 15:34
ive got one for sale. i also thought i wanted a lefty but after i shot i couldnt get used to a left-handed gun. i would shoot one first before you buy one

randolph
06-02-10, 16:41
Is the OP left eye dominate and left handed ?

I ask, because Im naturally left handed, but Im right eye dominate so I shoot right handed naturally...