PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience with Camelbak Delta 5 vest?

Citpitch02
05-22-07, 16:02
Anybody have any experience running this rig? I can't decide between this one or setting up a MTV rig myself (TT plate carrier with side carrier and just buying the hydradtion rig seperate). I am an LE and I am wanting something for BugOut purposes as well as training/classes. Any input or advice is much appreciated!

USSS/Worthy of Trust and Confidence

shooter521
05-23-07, 13:46
Anybody have any experience running this rig?

I normally run an Eagle Plate carrier setup, but won a Delta-5 vest in a recent carbine course. I examined the vest at-length and found it to be very well constructed, materials and stitching-wise. I also liked the built-in hydration system and the padded surface against the wearer's back. I didn't care for the 3 adjustment tabs/buckles on each side (overkill) and the permanent loops at the bottom for attaching a web belt (I'd have had to cut them off). Ultimately, the deal-killer was that I couldn't adjust the vest to ride high enough to clear my belt-mounted holster, mag pouches and other gear - but I imagine that's a downside to most or all vest-type rigs, by their very nature. Finally, the Delta-5 has no capability for adding hard ballistic protection - something you might need/want for advanced course or "bug out" applications.

I ended up selling the vest without ever using it or even removing the original tags and seals.

Dave L.
05-23-07, 19:52
Hey man,
Camelback makes great hydration bladders...and they should stick to doing that.
If you want a fast set up, you might like this stuff (all made in USA...camelback isn't).
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/BattleLabCAT-Fast-Attack-Plate-Carrier-FAPC-P46C85.aspx

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/Fast-Attack-Rack-w-Level-3A-Armor-Restricted-Item-P45C85.aspx

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/BattleLab-M4M16-Single-Mag-Short-P2129C249.aspx

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/BattleLab-Triple-Pistol-Mag-Pouch-with-DetLoc9mm-P2113C249.aspx

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/BattleLab-100oz-Hydration-Pouch-P2080C249.aspx

...just a few Ideas, you really don't need the cummerbund, but the shingle type mag carriers are nice because you can layer stuff on top of them- I would keep a hydro system on the rig if you are just going to keep it in the trunk for "emergencies"(it's just less to get in the way.
But the FAPC with 3 or 4 carbine mag pouches + pistol mag pouch to hold at least 2- blowout kit...then if you already have the plates, you still have some cash left over for bullets.
Good luck,
Dave

Citpitch02
05-23-07, 22:31
Yeah, I like DBT's stuff too! I was cruising around today and saw the HSGI Woosatch. Looks like that may be a possibility for me as well. Only concern is how it would fit without any soft body armor underneath? Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for the input on the Camelbak guys...

Dave L.
05-24-07, 01:22
Yeah, I like DBT's stuff too! I was cruising around today and saw the HSGI Woosatch. Looks like that may be a possibility for me as well. Only concern is how it would fit without any soft body armor underneath? Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for the input on the Camelbak guys...

I actually own the Waasatch (the bigger one). It's built very well.

Likes- US made, holds plates secure, very versatile, easy on/off, can be loaded down with too much ammo.

Dislikes- I hate the mag pouches because they are made to fit 3 deep-(which is too many) and 2 mags will "jingle around", shoulder straps are junk(don't hold tight with a full load unless major "jerry rigging" is achieved.

If this is going to be a very simple rig...like something for classes/and when SHTF, I would keep it as simple as possible- as much as I love my Wassatch, it's too technical(I would say it serves a better purpose in the military).
I'm not in LE but I doubt you need to carry more than 4 AR mags, 3 extra pistol mags, small med kit...not even the guys in Waco, TX needed that much Ammo:D

Citpitch02
05-24-07, 20:23
If this is going to be a very simple rig...like something for classes/and when SHTF, I would keep it as simple as possible- as much as I love my Wassatch, it's too technical(I would say it serves a better purpose in the military).
I'm not in LE but I doubt you need to carry more than 4 AR mags, 3 extra pistol mags, small med kit...not even the guys in Waco, TX needed that much Ammo:D

Roger that, I was thinking along the lines of six to eight AR Mags and 4 pistol mags, med kit, and maybe a pouch or two for my cuffs and an ASP!

Anybody make something that may fit that need or am I better off just getting a plate carrier and pouches seperately?

Dave L.
05-24-07, 21:40
Roger that, I was thinking along the lines of six to eight AR Mags and 4 pistol mags, med kit, and maybe a pouch or two for my cuffs and an ASP!

Anybody make something that may fit that need or am I better off just getting a plate carrier and pouches separately?

Buy all separate so you can rearrange it for the situation (i.e. the set up you may want for a carbine class/competition may or may not be what you keep in the trunk);
stay flexible.
Just out of curiosity, if you are in a situation where you have to throw on a plate carrier holding 6 to 8 AR mags, will you really be worried about your ASP?:D
Don't over do it.

Citpitch02
05-25-07, 08:44
No I won't have to worry about the ASP, was thinking more along the lines of training purposes and you never know when you might need to BREAK something!! :)