PDA

View Full Version : trouble sighting in. is this normal?

kdcgrohl
05-31-10, 15:10
Specs first. Factory barreled noveske 10.5 upper. I changed muzzle device to a KAC tripple tap. Sights are Troy, and both are installed tight

I've just got this rifle finished and went to sight in yesterday.

Elevation only needed one click. Problem is, windage is almost maxed out to the right side.

I was at 60 yards, ammo was privi. What needs to be done?

Belmont31R
05-31-10, 15:14
Do you have another rear sight you can try? Thats one way of determining if its the sight or the upper.

Does the barrel line up straight in the rail?

eternal24k
05-31-10, 15:15
railed freefloat with Troy frontsight, or standard FSB.
either the front sight or the rail is canted.
Noveske will take care of you

ETA: saw the term "both",
so I would check the rail alignment and if that looks good try some different sights as mentioned above

Failure2Stop
05-31-10, 15:39
There is a reason why there is an adjustment range. The rear sight does not need to be cenetered, or even anywhere near centered unless you are doing long-range shooting with irons, and that's only for windage shift due to environmental factors.

For practical use, As long as it zeroes, it's fine.

kdcgrohl
05-31-10, 19:42
Rail is the noveske "switchblock" rail, and it appears straight. Barrel looks to be centered in the rail.
Alignment mark is between the second and third marks from the right.
I did sight in my other AR yesterday, with no problems. I barreled that one myself, and uses KAC micros on that one. Since that one sighted in fine, I don't think my inexperienced is the issue. Any other thoughts?
I do have a 300m micro I can try in place of the Troy, maybe later in the week. But would the rear sight be the issue or the front? Is this even something I should worry about?

Thomas M-4
05-31-10, 20:02
Cant speak for troy sights but I had a arms#40 that required more then 2/3 of the of the windage adjustment to zero. I later replaced the arms BUIS with a Larue BUIS took less than a 1/4 turn from the factory setting to zero it. YMMV

kdcgrohl
06-13-10, 14:31
Update: problem solved.
Today I switched both front and rear units to KAC micros. Problem seems to be gone with only a few clicks from center on the 300 meter micro.
My conclusion, it was most likely a combination of Troy sites and the shooter. The Troys were very well made, bet the Knights Armaments work better for me.:D

JSantoro
06-13-10, 16:56
Far more likely that one of (or both of!) the Troys wasn't mounted correctly, and that the shooter paid more attention to proper mounting the KAC because of the prior shooting results. Generally, it's not an equipment problem, it's a human-interface problem. I see it all the time, plus...

...that JSantoro idiot's done it before at least twice. Lends credence to the idea that "familiarity breeds contempt." We're all guilty of it, at some point or another.

Regardless, I concur with what F2S said. If the thing zeros, what's the problem? Adjustment ranges exist for a reason. Being near the edges of them and still printing where you point your sights...is still correctly zeroed. It wouldn't phase me in the least.

Also regardless, glad you got it fixed and got the results you wanted. Rock on.

Belmont31R
06-13-10, 17:08
^^^

True but if you are compensating for a barrel being off center by adjusting the sights all the way to one direction what happens when you try to shoot at 200, 300, 400 yards +? Not only would you have to adjust for the drop but the windage being off center, and at extended ranges that can be feet off to one side or the other.

Just like when I zero a new optic I get it mechanically centered in the rings using a steel edge, and then do a square target box. If you drop down 8" using the turrets the bottom group should be aligned with the top group. This ensures when you go to make elevation adjustments at range you are not going diagonally down instead of straight down. Scopes are often not perfectly aligned with the scope body and adjustments.

shadow65
06-14-10, 21:43
Just like when I zero a new optic I get it mechanically centered in the rings using a steel edge, and then do a square target box. If you drop down 8" using the turrets the bottom group should be aligned with the top group. This ensures when you go to make elevation adjustments at range you are not going diagonally down instead of straight down. Scopes are often not perfectly aligned with the scope body and adjustments.[/QUOTE]

More good information for me to try.:D