PDA

View Full Version : Springfield M1A, Help Me Pick!!!

sjauch
05-22-07, 16:41
Ok, I am going to buy my first .308 gun. I've decided to get an M1A, but can't pick. Either the Scout 18" or the Socom II. I realize these are quite a bit different conf. and am on the fence with which one. I don't plan on doing too much long distance shooting with this. A Remington 700 is next on the list. Most common distance shooting with this would be 300yds. I would also probably use this rifle in a 3 gun match from time to time, and maybe a class or two.

I like the Scout for it's simplicity and lack of rails (possibly lighter weight?). It has the rail so I can mount an Aimpoint on it. The Socom II also appeals to me because it has the rails though. I like that I can easily mount a light to it if I take it to a class or a match that has a need for a light.

I think both would be equally accurate out to 300yds. and not sure if I would benefit from the 18" barrel here. Oh, and since I'd now have a .308 I'd probably take it deer hunting once a year.

Maybe some of you guys can give me your experiences with these two models and why you may have chosen the one you did.

MaceWindu
05-22-07, 17:18
Either the Scout 18" or the Socom II

Scout...then remove the front Scout mount and convert it to a Bush...

Mace

sjauch
05-22-07, 17:27
Care to elaborate? I'm new to he M1A so I'm not familiar with a Bush setup.

Thanks.

TOrrock
05-22-07, 17:48
Scout...then remove the front Scout mount and convert it to a Bush...

Mace

The man speaketh the truth.

Get the Scout, and ditch the barrel mounted rail, go with a decent quality mount from Smith or Sadlack, and you'll have a great rifle. Also, replace the commercial extractor with a forged GI one.

The Bush rifle was a Scout without the "scout" rail. 18" basic configuration, and the most versatile.

sjauch
05-22-07, 19:51
I'm glad to hear this, I was leaning toward the 18" Scout. The rails of the Socom were all that really appealed to me. Can you guys point me to links of the things you'd recommend putting on it? I'd like a rail a 6 o'clock to mount a bipod and another 3 & 9 for mounting a light and tape switch. Should I get the rail sections and mount them to the wood stock?

MaceWindu
05-22-07, 20:10
I'm glad to hear this, I was leaning toward the 18" Scout. The rails of the Socom were all that really appealed to me. Can you guys point me to links of the things you'd recommend putting on it? I'd like a rail a 6 o'clock to mount a bipod and another 3 & 9 for mounting a light and tape switch. Should I get the rail sections and mount them to the wood stock?

86 the rail idea, it is too HEAVY. Plus, the Socom has a modified gas system to accomodate the short 16 inch barrel.

Go to the www.m-14forum.com and you will get ALL the info you need. Use the search function.

Mace

TOrrock
05-22-07, 20:38
I know that rails have a high CDI factor, but they're not needed with the M14.

Pick up a decent USGI fiberglass stock and you can install lengths of picatinny for a light if you want, or a bipod if you like.

The 18" barrel uses the standard gas system as stated, and you can install a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash suppressor as well.

RyanS
05-22-07, 21:35
I was in the fun store last week and noticed that they had a NIB Bush rifle...with an ugly mossy oak stock. I asked about it and was told that SA was making the Bush rifle again due to popular demand. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but it was a nice rifle.

03humpalot
05-23-07, 01:46
I have owned and ran both. I am currently running a Socom II barreled action in a Scout stock (rubber recoil pad installed) and a GI handguard.

Basically i have a Socom II bush rifle in other words. There are a lot of horror stories chasing the socom/and socom II based guns around but i have had no issues as of yet.

I like them both equally.

RWBlue
05-23-07, 13:34
I have a standard M1A. It is older so I think most of the parts are USGI.

It has one deer on it. It was a long day carrying this rifle over hill and dale. I find myself carrying a lighter 30-06 Rem 700, or Styer Scout in 308, because I don't need the M1As features.

I made modificationis to the stock so a standard Haris bi-pod works with it.

It is a good rifle.

I can not help you with the two models you have been looking at. I think my issue is visual, I just don't like the look of shorter barreled M1As, but there is also the loss of velocity on a gun that you can't change the barrel easilly.

If I was going to get another M1A, it would be the same gun. But if I was going to get another 308 assault rifle, I think I would be looking very hard at the AR-10 or AR-10 clone or maybe the FN-FAL. The nice thing about the AR-10 or AR-10 clone is the interchangable uppers and the eugonomics are very close to the AR-15.

Rock-N-Ruin
06-09-07, 20:43
I love my M1A standard w/22" barrel.. more velocity.. I 'll use my M-4 for clearing rooms.... .308 is not a close quarter caliber anyway, especially for populated areas..

It all comes down to what you want to do with it.....

militarymoron
06-15-07, 22:32
i liked the scout (didn't want the short gas system of the SOCOM) and i liked the rail. so i put the rail on the scout for the best of both worlds with the vltor stock. it's actually still pretty handy with the lower handguard removed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/M1A_vltor.jpg

with the lower handguard removed, you still have the side rails - which work great with vltor's bipod. just food for thought.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/vbipod2.jpg

LIL-COMMANDO
07-08-07, 23:09
I too am new, and want a 308 rifle. I was looking at the Scout becuase I like the idea of adding a Vortex and I realy like your rifle pics. Any other word of advice before I buy?? Oh what are the Best 20 round Mags sold for the Scout??

PALADIN-hgwt
07-09-07, 09:17
xxxxx

Hawkeye
07-09-07, 09:18
Someone posting in this thread has a nice M1A Bush rifle that he should post a pic of... :cool:

macman37
07-09-07, 19:50
I think the 18" Scout is a great rifle... With a couple mods:

* Must have the Smith Enterprises bolt release - works like an AR then
* Swap out your extractor and replace it with a forged GI part. Fulton Armory has them.
* NM guide rod (optional but I did it on both mine)
* Unitize the gas cylinder - I bought mine unitized from Fulton and replaced them myself. Super easy.

I do NOT advocate - on a relatively CQB style rifle such as this - putting a Smith mount on and using it instead of the Scout Mount. The heat thing is overrated - you will not cook your optics with the Scout mount. (I put 7 mags through mine at an indoor range at a fairly fast pace - with no breeze - and yeah, I got heat shiimmer in front of the EOTech but it did not poop out on me.) It could, however, goof with the chemistry in the batteries. I recommend using lithiums.

All of this is JMHO, YMMV, but I've got a fullsize as well as the Scout, and love them both.

jim

pfaria
07-10-07, 16:13
Mace's advice is good to go. I followed it and ended up with a very nice M1A rifle myself.

PALADIN-hgwt
07-12-07, 07:37
xxxxx