PDA

View Full Version : XS .80 White Stripe review

Knife_Sniper
05-31-10, 15:59
I recently purchased a .80 XS white stripe post and would like to share some thoughts on it.

First off the last time at the range I had trouble discerning where the top of my front sight post ended vs the black target so I thought perhaps I could try a new style of front post.

I called XS to get some info on the front sight and decided it was the one to choose.

It has two white faces 180 degrees from each other with a white stripe down the middle of a black post... so in effect you have a two tone front sight. Sounds simple enough.

The package was simple and included installation instructions, the front post, and a plastic installation tool.

The post is a once piece screw in with two sides that feature the white stripe. In order to zero the sight you must make a minimum of two clicks of adjustment in order to bring the white post on the other side of the sight into view. The reason it doesn't have four white stripes on each side of the post is because the sight is cut in a triangle shape. The reason this was done is simple...

Since the stripe is recessed into the post, simply creating a 90 degree up and down post with a stripe would allow some shadow to occlude some portion of the white stripe. Instead XS decided to lean the post forward (hence the triangle cut) to allow ambient light to better mark the white stripe.

Visual reference below. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Lothen/Firearms/DSCF0755.jpg

So you give up some finer adjustment of the AR15's front sight in exchange for a very clear white stripe set against a black post. Please excuse the pictures as the front sight post is much sharper to my eye than it is to the camera:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Lothen/Firearms/DSCF0751.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Lothen/Firearms/DSCF0752.jpg

Visually it is very quick (as you can imagine) to pick up with the eye. Against a darker background the white really pops out and makes shooting into a dark setting fairly easy since it allows the shooter quick discernment of where the post is in relation to the dark background. With the standard front post you can sometimes lose its position or have a little trouble picking it up with speed against a dark background.

Shooting say outdoors from inside the sight simply turns into a dark front post.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Lothen/Firearms/DSCF0753.jpg

One problem I found was that if you didn't center it well in the front sight base it would appear wider than it is due to your eye just barely seeing the edge of the slightly turned front post. Basically your eye sees a part of the black unmarked triangle portion of the sight if it isn't aligned properly. This isn't so much the fault of XS since I found that it engaged the detent very well... but rather the fact that the detent exhibits a little bit of side to side play that makes it possible to cant the angle of the XS sight. On a standard front post the cant is not discernible.

I fixed this problem with some Teflon tape so once it was angled right it would stay put.

I will hit the range tomorrow and see how it does in full bright sunlight.

Here is the test rifle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Lothen/Firearms/DSCF0754.jpg

ack495
05-31-10, 16:30
I've had the XS 24/7 tritium stripe front sight for a about a year now. I love it. I have to use a carry handle and FSB with no optic on my patrol/swat rifle so the tritium stripe has been perfect for fast front site acquisition, day or night. The white part helps during the day and the tritium kicks in nice and bright in low/no light. XS makes some great sites. Enjoy.

Knife_Sniper
06-01-10, 16:51
I was outdoors today in full sunlight and found the sight to be excellent in full sunny conditions. The white stripe is very flat and glare was at a minimum. I shot overcast and in full sun.

I shot at 25 and 100 yards.

I shot a a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards over five rounds with one flyer far right of the red. I know five shots are not much of a sample but it's what I went with.
This was shot from the prone with a web sling.

The extra width compared to the standard front post was not much a problem but I did appreciate the contrast the white stripe provided.

I really like the XS white stripe and it is a simple no nonsense upgrade to make your irons equipped rifle a little more versatile IMHO.

Thanks for reading!

Mac5.56
06-01-10, 18:31
Please don't take offense to this, but why would you not just use a white enamel paint on a traditional front site post?

Knife_Sniper
06-01-10, 20:58
I have done that in the past to an AK style post but it isn't as effective as this post. I dont think I could steady my hand enough for that task and I doubt I could make a fine enough line for a two tone post such like the XS

Mjolnir
06-01-10, 22:36
Hmmm, try using white on your ENTIRE front sight post (not the frame) then go back over it with "Day Glo" Orange... EXTREMELY BRIGHT and unless you have goblins and zombies prancing around in Day Glo orange gear you should be good to go. Works on pistols, too.

Mac5.56
06-02-10, 02:20
Here's a solution:

Tell me how much that site costs, I'll knock off 30% of the cost and I'll sell you one that looks just as good.

It really amazes me how much money people are making off of the niche AR market.

Knife_Sniper
06-02-10, 14:51
All right then, it cost me thirty bucks...

I will send you a check for 21 dollars and in turn I expect a similar product in return. Sending me a spraypainted white/orange/green A2 post wont cut it. Give me a site with a fine contrasting line down the center of a black post on two or more sides of the post.

I used the white stripe for more precise shooting against a black target since it is a thinner line than a standard A2... thus why I am not looking for a solid post of one color or another. I could buy those from brownells or get a can of spraypaint from walmart.... You can paint a stripe down the center in whatever contrasting color you choose but if it washes off or flakes off easily then do I get my money back?

Anywho, I am quite serious and if your product is a better product then I will be happy to have it. I will install it, review it, and post pictures. If it helps improve my shooting then all the better. I would like a product that cannot cant to the side a bit as in my review but retains the desirable features that my $30 bucks cost me.

If you meant what you said let me know. ;)

EDIT: Make sure it looks nice and sharp please

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Lothen/Firearms/DSCF0790.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Lothen/Firearms/DSCF0778.jpg

Paraclete comes
06-02-10, 15:35
:D It is amazing how many AR items there are for sale out there. Im not sure exactly how much more accurate the thinner white line is going to make your shots, lol. But thats the beauty of the free market the dollars speaks much louder than internet posts.

I would rather kick in the extra twenty bucks and get a tritium front sight post from midway or meprolight. That would be far superior IMNSHO, lol.:D

Mac5.56
06-02-10, 17:08
There is not a doubt in my mind I could paint that as steady, clean, and nice as the one you have.

But I was joking, plus why would you want to buy another one form me after you just bought one?

beckman
06-03-10, 23:13
Thanks for the review and photos, Knife_Sniper.

I have a couple of questions:

- Why did you choose the white stripe over the Big Dot or the tritium? Was it because you had a specific target-shooting need or do intend this site as a general purpose/self defense sight?

- How did you use the Teflon tape to stop the sight from canting? Did you wrap it around the detent?

As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're happy with the product and it meets your needs, then your $30 was well spent.

Knife_Sniper
06-07-10, 17:05
I chose the white stripe because I wanted the thinnest blade width offered (.80) and some simple contrast in different lighting/target conditions. I found that in bright daylight it was really easy to pick up and at dusk it also offered better contrast than a simple black post.

I wanted a square post so I could still work on my marksmanship. I wanted a fine line so I could use that as a further aid in precision shooting. That was the theory anyway.

It did work to add some contrast against the darker targets I was shooting at and I want to test a bit more to see what kind of shooting I can get out of this setup and myself.

I wrapped the threading in teflon tape to give it more resistance to being turned. Once I decide if I like the current setup and rear sight I may use some blue locktite to make it semi permanent.

JHC
06-07-10, 19:06
This is a great review and thread on a "niche" product which is very hard to find reviews on. I've debated the white stripe vs tritium fronts and this is very good info. Pretty good work for post #21. ;)

sewvacman
06-07-10, 22:28
I have their tritium post and like it very much.
I wonder how the teflon tape will hold up once that FSB starts to heat up though?
Have you tried it against a white wall w/ light yet?

For a paint that lasts for a front site post I have a couple guns that I used my wifes good hot pink nail polish on almost 20 years ago and no flaking, chipping, etc. I was so impressed I did some of my ar posts a year or so ago w/ no issues. No fine stripe in the middle but a good deal cheaper and the standard front post is nice and thin.

Good review, get some more rounds down the tube and let us know if you opinion changes.:)

Avenger29
06-07-10, 22:55
Thanks for the review. This might just be the ticket for my Ruger 10/22 with TechSIGHTs.