PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Brings Down Grizzly With .45

mkaeding
05-31-10, 18:30
This may belong in the general forum so move as necessary.

I found this article interesting on several levels. Given the recent change in the law allowing licensed individuals to carry in federal parks, a hiker in Alaska was armed with a .45 handgun when a grizzly charged his female companion. The armed hiker shot and killed the bear. Details are sketchy, but the article indicates nine shots were fired with an unidentified number striking the bear.

Link to the Fairbanks Daily News Article is below.

http://newsminer.com/view/full_story/7750458/article-Grizzly-bear-shot--killed-in-Denali-National-Park?instance=home_most_popular5

Twistedsteel
05-31-10, 18:40
So your allowed to carry in the park, you just cant discharge it. That makes alot of sense.What do they want us to do with it, throw it at an attacker or just show it to them and scare them away. A person may be thwarted by the sight of a gun but I don't think the bear is gonna know the difference.

HK45
05-31-10, 18:44
Backpacker shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska park

The Associated Press
Monday, May 31, 2010 6:48 AM EDT

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A backpacker shot and killed a grizzly bear with his handgun in Alaska's Denali National Park, officials said.
A man and woman reported that they were hiking Friday evening when the bear emerged from trailside brush and charged the woman, park spokeswoman Kris Fister said in a statement.
The man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.
The two reported the shooting to rangers, who restricted access to the Igloo Canyon area for fear that the bear was wounded and dangerous.
On Saturday, rangers found the dead bear about 100 feet from the shooting site.
Park officials are determining the justification for the shooting. It's legal to carry firearms in that area of the park but illegal to discharge them.
Rangers said it was the first known instance of a grizzly bear being shot by a visitor in the wilderness portion of Denali, formerly called Mount McKinley National Park.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original Article can be found at:
http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?id=17770765&ps=1011&cat=&cps=0&lang=en

Colo.TJ
05-31-10, 19:05
Nine rnds? 8+1?

Damn, if it takes nine rounds of .45 to just get the bear to back down what does it take to take one out quickly? Should I be taking my Ruger Vaquero w/ six rounds of .45LC +P when I go hiking?

TOrrock
05-31-10, 19:16
Someone got to it 15 min. before you HK.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55180

There aren't many handguns that are capable of reliably stopping a big angry bear.....but it sounds like the guy made at least one decent hit.

kmrtnsn
05-31-10, 19:22
Actually, it makes a lot of sense. If the discharge of firearms were regularly allowed you'd have target shooting, just plain blowing off rounds, etc. Remember, lots of rules have to be made to account for the lowest common denominator. A wise old Gunny once told me, "every rule has someone's name attached to it".

Omega Man
05-31-10, 21:21
I was just reading an article about good bear caliber's, and they said if your going to go with 45, it should be ball ammo, to get better penetration than HP's. Ted Nugent carry's a Glock20, so he can have 15 rds of 10mm to back up his bow & arrows.

MookNW
05-31-10, 21:39
How would the fn57 fare in a situation like this?

HK45
05-31-10, 23:07
If you have to have a handgun only there is no semi-auto round I would use. It would require a revolver in .500 or something similar.

HK45
05-31-10, 23:09
How would the fn57 fare in a situation like this?

Not good at all. Too small. Even talking about dealing with a bear using any handgun is pretty silly. This guy was extremely lucky.

Dunderway
05-31-10, 23:19
So your allowed to carry in the park, you just cant discharge it. That makes alot of sense.What do they want us to do with it, throw it at an attacker or just show it to them and scare them away. A person may be thwarted by the sight of a gun but I don't think the bear is gonna know the difference.

As kmrtnsn stated, it does make sense. It's the same as not being able to discharge your CCW at your leisure. I'm sure the parks department wants to make sure that this wasn't just some jack-ass that shot at a bear in passing, and that it was a real self defense situation. If it was, I'm sure the shooter will be fine.

QuickStrike
06-01-10, 06:30
Makes me want to buy a super redhawk in .44 mag and chop the barrel to 5" or so...

He is lucky that he did not meet this bear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghgg_fukbvU&feature=player_embedded

Imagine what it could do with a carbine! :p

Entropy
06-01-10, 08:15
I think that this guy was lucky. If a mother is defending her cubs, or if the bear is really hungry, they will ignore hits unless they are physically disabled by the hits. There have been a number of grizzly attacks in the northern Rockies in which the bear died from its wounds several minutes after killing the shooter. Their instinctual drive to defend and eat is hard for us to conceive. You really need nothing short of a .44mag in order to have ideal levels of penetration and the ability to punch through larger internal bone structure. Typical .44mag loads such as the Hornady 300gr XTP have an average penetration of 20+ inches in gel. My desert eagle is a heavy SOB, but it's a much better shooter than a revolver. The 10mm has "slightly" better penetration than the service calibers, but is very weak in comparison to true magnum calibers.

Irish
06-01-10, 08:35
Interesting related article: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_15194552

Jackson, Wyo. » The successful prosecution of a Jackson Hole hunter who claimed self defense after killing a grizzly could set a precedent in Greater Yellowstone, where the grizzly population is expanding and loaded guns are now allowed in national parks, experts say.

A jury recently found 41-year-old Stephen Westmoreland guilty of a misdemeanor charge of illegally taking a grizzly bear stemming from an incident in September when he shot a bear. He argued self defense in a trial that hinged on the behavior of the bear, among other things.

Mark Bruscino, bear management program supervisor for the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, testified at the trial about how bears act before they attack a person and told jurors that most often bruins will retreat during an encounter.

"This whole thing adds up to that people need to make sure they are in a self-defense situation," Bruscino said in an interview after the trial. "You can't kill wildlife based on an undemonstrated fear of an unrealistic threat."

Last year, seven grizzly bears were killed by hunters and hikers in self defense situations in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.

Teton County Attorney Steve Weichman, who prosecuted the Westmoreland case, said it is one of the first instances in the country where a person was convicted of taking wildlife when claiming self defense.

Westmoreland shot the animal at 40 yards after he encountered it feeding on a moose carcass. The animal died on the other side of the moose from Westmoreland and without charging.

In their verdict, jurors seemed to acknowledge that Westmoreland had no malicious intent when he killed the animal. But they were convinced he was not defending himself from a real threat.

"Under the circumstances, we feel the defendant acted out of fear instead of self defense," the verdict said.

Ttwwaack
06-01-10, 09:20
About 3-5 years ago they had an attack in the park. Two tourists and the bear jump off a large rock from above and mauled them pretty good. Rangers came in, tracked the bear and killed it. Apparently the bear had been shot about an estimated 7-10 prior and they found 3 38 cal slugs in it. The slugs had only penetrated I believe 3-5 inches and basically no vitals were damaged.

A few days later, they found the shooter, a camper just outside the park who'd been mauled and killed. It was rather graffic but it goes to making sure you got the right load for the job at hand.

arizonaranchman
06-01-10, 10:03
Most handguns are pitifully underpowered for serious/dangerous animals like a bear. It starts at the .44 mag and goes up from there.

I had an encounter several years ago here on my ranch with a mtn lion and was glad to have the .44 with me - a stainless S&W 4" Mtn Gun. I lived. He didn't.

99HMC4
06-01-10, 10:24
Just carry the judge! That hand gun with its .410 shells is sopposed to to blow big ass holes in tanks! That bear wouldnt stand a chance...:rolleyes:

LonghunterCO
06-01-10, 11:03
Nine rnds? 8+1?
Should I be taking my Ruger Vaquero w/ six rounds of .45LC +P when I go hiking?

That is what I carry. Specifically Cor-Bon 45LC +P 200gr. JHP, but a .44 mag works too. Realize that here in Colorado I am, at worst, dealing with black bears and mt. lion and even then would prefer something in the carbine/rifle realm. As others have stated here: Handguns are poor stoppers.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-01-10, 11:36
Should I be taking my Ruger Vaquero w/ six rounds of .45LC +P when I go hiking?

That is what I carry. Specifically Cor-Bon 45LC +P 200gr. JHP, but a .44 mag works too. Realize that here in Colorado I am, at worst, dealing with black bears and mt. lion and even then would prefer something in the carbine/rifle realm. As others have stated here: Handguns are poor stoppers.

Buddy of mine was going to go fishing in Alaska for salmon, I forgot where. He called up there and talked to a ranger and asked about carrying a 45LC Vaquero for bear protection. There was a slight pause on the phone and the female ranger replied that he could bring a small gun like that, but they carry pistol grip shotguns with slugs.

I think brains and luck are your best bet against bears.

threeheadeddog
06-01-10, 12:34
I lived in MT for all of my youth.

Their is an old piece of wisdom about carrying a handgun in bear country.

LANGUAGE WARNING

"If you carry a handgun in bear country be sure to file the front sight off... That way when the bear shoves it up your ass it wont hurt so much"

Beat Trash
06-01-10, 13:20
Makes me want to carry a 12 ga loaded with slugs. I'm picturing an arrow quiver across the back to carry the shotgun, kind of like in the movie "Romancing the stone".

While I thing a 45acp is better than a pocket knife against a large bear, I think this guy was very lucky...

forster
06-01-10, 16:13
Extremely lucky, Bear just changed his mind.

Ttwwaack
06-01-10, 16:48
Reminds me of a story that occurred up near Cold Foot some time ago. There was a tour company that was green that catered to tree hugging female clients, retreats ect and had a female group of 8-10 from New England out in the bush observing nature then retreat back to their camp site in a portable electric fence where they participated in aroma therapy, chanting ect...

The last morning the ladies were gathering their belonging and getting ready for a bush plane to arrive to ferry them back to civilization two at a time when a bear attacked through the wire. The Bear attacked, OC bear repellent was applied, reapplied, ect and mauled two woman and left. The bush plane arrived in time and asked if they had a firearm. Oh no, we wouldn't want to hurt the bear. Bush pilot leaves a long gun and takes the two to a small clinic. While he is gone Yoggie returns, repellant is applied till it is all gone then they fire warning shots. Thank god the bear left them alone. On the bush pilots return, he picked two more woman up and on his last or second to last ended up see the bear and killed it.

You hear of stuff like this every year and just sit and wonder shaking your head.

JHC
06-01-10, 17:07
OK, everyone agrees that any handgun is a poor choice. Why? Because it takes tremendous penetration with precision to break down the shoulders/spine of a charging grizzly.

The only option NOT requiring huge penetration is to pop their melon. And from the front, that means through the snout or in the mouth, because the slope of the bears forehead area will deflect even heavy rifle rounds.

ERGO - why bother with a heavy 5 or 6 shot heavy recoiling revolver? It makes no sense whatsoever IMO. Just from the shot to shot recovery if you miss the sweet spot.

Instead I would choose a high capacity, easy to shoot semiauto with enough penetration to punch a hole in the bruins brain. Years ago I read that the Alaska State Troopers tested bear heads and found if hit right - any service caliber from 9mm up would get to the brain, and if hit wrong (forehead) a .44 mag would glance ineffectively. They chose .40 cal Glocks that time around.

But my pistol would be backup to a .45-70 Guide Gun.

1oldgrunt
06-01-10, 17:39
I cannot believe no one has stated the obvious:confused:

the 1911 in 45 acp is THE GUN....PERIOD !:D

no G19 with 15 rds of puny 9 ....good thing he had the real mans gun with him !;)

To the gent talking about frontal head shots, "if hit right".... good luck on a moving bear, hell a moving anything for that matter. Ayoob did a test over a decade ago where he shot cattle in the head from contact distance, the results might interest you.............

myself I carry a Claymore in my backpack while hiking just in case....(the LAW was too long to conceal)!:cool:

SmokeJumper
06-01-10, 17:39
Both are very lucky the attack was thwarted by the .45.

tpd223
06-01-10, 19:38
I cannot believe no one has stated the obvious:confused:

the 1911 in 45 acp is THE GUN....PERIOD !:D

no G19 with 15 rds of puny 9 ....good thing he had the real mans gun with him !;)

To the gent talking about frontal head shots, "if hit right".... good luck on a moving bear, hell a moving anything for that matter. Ayoob did a test over a decade ago where he shot cattle in the head from contact distance, the results might interest you.............

myself I carry a Claymore in my backpack while hiking just in case....(the LAW was too long to conceal)!:cool:

I know of a case where a polar bear was dropped DIRT with a single shot from a model 10 loaded with 158gr RNL standard velocity ammo.

Just sayin.

four
06-01-10, 20:18
I know of a case where a polar bear was dropped DIRT with a single shot from a model 10 loaded with 158gr RNL standard velocity ammo.

Just sayin.

this is the internets. if there aren't pictures, it didn't happen.
;-)

G_M
06-01-10, 20:53
Nine rnds? 8+1?

Damn, if it takes nine rounds of .45 to just get the bear to back down what does it take to take one out quickly? Should I be taking my Ruger Vaquero w/ six rounds of .45LC +P when I go hiking?

One well placed/lucky shot.

adrenaline151
06-01-10, 21:24
I have had to shoot a wounded bear with a pistol round(.40 S&W). I should have saved my rounds. The bear(a 242 lb. black bear sow) had been shot with an arrow, and we just tracked it too soon(she would have died where we found her). I was shooting CorBon DPX loads, and she never even acknowledged being hit by them. Luckily, we had a .45-70 loaded w/ 350 grain Buffalo Bore loads. She was less than 10 feet when the .45-70 stopped her for good. A pistol round may change the mind of a bear that isn't wounded, or protecting food or cubs, but for stopping a bear with it's mind made up, you need something a little more powerful, something that will penetrate deep into the vitals and break bones. I would say a .41 mag would be my minimum(I've killed trapped bears with the .41), and bigger would be better. I haven't found anything that instilled more confidence in bear territory than the Guide Gun, loaded with 350 or 405 grain Buffalo Bore loads(the 405 grain loads are very impressive!). I have XS ghost ring sights on mine, and a big loop lever. If it's dark, I gorrilla tape a TLR-1 on the forearm. Works like a charm.

citizensoldier16
06-01-10, 21:27
Apparently Kris Fister thinks handguns make great clubs:

Fister's statement read that "it is legal to carry a firearm in the (original) portion of the park, but it is not legal to discharge it."

tpd223
06-01-10, 21:47
this is the internets. if there aren't pictures, it didn't happen.
;-)

Umm, yeah, actually it did. There was a whole world that existed before the internet, and this incident was in the '80s.

Drunk climbs into the polar bear cage at the NY Zoo, NYPD copper shoots bear to save idiots life. Single hit to brain drops bear in it's tracks.

Personally I think he should have been allowed to shoot the idiot instead of the bear, but that's just me.

tpd223
06-01-10, 21:51
I was shooting CorBon DPX loads

Unless you hit the skull directly you'd have been better off with ball in the .40 (or any handgun caliber for that matter), DPX get's like 12" in gelatin, .40 FMJFP goes like 50-56" in gelatin in some tests that I have seen.

G_M
06-01-10, 23:09
Umm, yeah, actually it did. There was a whole world that existed before the internet, and this incident was in the '80s.

Drunk climbs into the polar bear cage at the NY Zoo, NYPD copper shoots bear to save idiots life. Single hit to brain drops bear in it's tracks.

Personally I think he should have been allowed to shoot the idiot instead of the bear, but that's just me.

Here is the article I believe.

BEAR KILLED TO SAVE MAN WHO PUT ARM INTO CAGE
By Martin Gansberg
THE NEW YORK TIMES
June 6, 1971

A polar bear at the Central Park Zoo was shot dead by a policeman yesterday after the animal sank his teeth into the arm of a man who had reached into his cage.
Witnesses in the crowded zoo said the man had jumped over a three-foot protective rail in front of the cage and then pushed his hand between the cages bars, above a three-foot cyclone fence that is additional protection for visitors.
Screams from the gathering crowd as the bear seized the man’s hand drew Patrolman Charles Dlugokecki of the Central Park Precinct. The patrolman shot the 6 year-old animal in the chest after he and the zoo attendant tried unsuccessfully to free the man by firing shots in the air and pushing the bear with a stick.
The injured man, Oliver Jones, 29 years old, of 355 East 10th Street, was taken to Lenox Hill Hospital, where he was admitted for treatment of a bone fracture, cuts and shock.
“I couldn’t tell whether he was trying to feed the bear or just tease him,” one witness said. “The animal came right toward him, around the little pool there to the fence. It grabbed his hand fast.”
“There must have been 200 people there,” said Patrolman Dlugokecki, who had been making his rounds of the zoo at 12:30 P.M. “They were all yelling. I could see this man, his arm between the bars of the cage, struggling to free it from the mouth of the bear.”
The patrolman said he had jumped over the protective rail and tried to push the bear, named Skandy, away from Mr. Jones.
“Nothing worked,” Patrolman Dlugokecki said. “I took out my gun and fired a shot in the air, hoping the animal would let go. Instead it pulled in more of the man’s hand, up to his wrist.”
At that point Eddie Rodriquez, the lionkeeper at the zoo, went to help the patrolman. He started pushing the bear with a stick, but to no avail.
“I fired another shot in the air,” Patrolman Dlugokecki said. “The bear sucked in more of the man’s hand, right up to the forearm. I made up my mind I’d have to shoot the bear.”
As Mr. Rodriquez pushed at Skandy with the stick, the policeman fired into the left side of the animal’s chest. The bear let go of Mr. Jones’s hand, staggered back and fell dead against the fence of an adjacent unoccupied cage.
There was an audible sigh of relief from the people in the crowd, out for a visit to the zoo on the warm, pleasant day. Some took pictures of the scene, others pulled youngsters away so they would not see the dead bear.
“He was quite docile,” said Jack DeLease, the special animal agent who planned to remove the carcass last night. “But you know how bored caged animals get. Put a toy before them ““ something to attract them ““ and they’ll go for it, take it right in their mouths.”
Witnesses at yesterday’s incident were not certain whether Mr. Jones had been attempting to feed Skandy or was teasing him. But Mr. Rodriquez, the lionkeeper, said: “This man was bothering the animals. I just chased him from another area. He was teasing them.”
The bear was born in 1965 in Sweden and came to the Central park Zoo in April, 1970.
“It was awful,” said Robert Johnson of 154 East 91st Street, who had watched the struggle. “The bear wouldn’t let go and the man was hollering. He had been teasing the bear. He must have been crazy.”

“˜I Didn’t Dare Help’

Another witness, Joe Rivera of 1976 Vyse Avenue, the Bronx, said: “I was standing right next to him. I didn’t dare help him. He asked for it - he put his hand through. It says on the signs not to feed the animals.”
The incident was not the first of this kind at the zoo. In July, 1944, two couples broke into the zoo at 2 A.M. and climbed over the protective rail to bait a polar bear. The animal tore off the forearm of Catherine Searles, 24, of 1155 Park Avenue, before it was pulled away. That bear, named Soc, weighed 500 pounds and was seven feet tall.
Before Mr. Jones was taken to the hospital yesterday, he was treated for gashes at the Central Park police station. “I don’t know what he was thinking,” said Patrolman Dlugokecki. “I gave him a summons for feeding the animals. It’s illegal, you know.”

skyugo
06-01-10, 23:42

true.. lots of people get to enjoy the bear in the zoo... probably no one enjoys the idiot :o

sjohnny
06-02-10, 07:45
I thought handguns for bear defense were carried so you could shoot your partner in the knee while you're running away.

You can't outrun the bear but you only have to outrun the slowest guy with you.

JHC
06-02-10, 09:01

Ayood was shooting cattle through their foreheads. But . . . you're in your tent. Bear is in the door of said tent. You are going to aim for the brisket? :D

Point is that handguns suck so packing a .454 Casull me thinks is wrong thinking. Back to Marlins!

Ahhh the timeless bear defense handgun topic! :D

Irish
06-02-10, 11:46
Bears in the news... http://www.adn.com/2010/05/28/1299310/bear-helping-himself-to-chickens.html

Jeff Johnson knew a bear was in the area. He had just looked outside to see the black bear scratching around near the chicken coop at his Eagle River home high on Glacier View Drive about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday.

But as Johnson approached the coop, garden hoe in hand, he began to think it might have gone. He saw the mesh surrounding the chicken yard was trampled, but the only thing he could hear were the six egg-laying chickens squawking inside the plywood coop.

Then he looked through a window.

"It looked like he was sitting, but it was kind of dark, and he was just gobbling down a chicken, had it in his mouth and just swallowing," Johnson said. "I was just shocked that he was in there. I didn't even think of the possibility."

The roughly 150-pound bear had scrambled through a small coop window about 5 feet off the ground. Claw marks showed on the plywood below it.

Johnson, 47, slapped a piece of plywood against the window -- the bear's only apparent exit -- and held on to keep it inside. Then he kicked open a small, ground-level chicken door to give the hens an escape.

"I'm holding the plywood thinking, 'What am I going to do?' " Johnson said. "And then its head starts coming out."

The bear's head went back inside the small door and the animal began bumping against the plywood patch a few times, though not very powerfully, he said. His son, 20-year-old Seth Johnson, called police and jumped out a first-floor window with a rifle, passing it off to his father, who then held the plywood to the window with one hand and pointed the .30-06 at the door below with the other.

"I thought, well, if he sticks his head out again, it's a safe backdrop and that should do him in. So he stuck his head out again," Johnson said. "I expected it to just be dead instantly."

After the shot, however, the bear ducked back inside. Johnson called for his wife, Karen Johnson, 37, to help pin the plywood in place, making sure their feet were safely away from the door. Johnson began nailing shut the coop's window and door, worried the injured bear would escape, he said.

"You could hear thrashing in there," Johnson said. "All the chickens went silent. They were still squawking after the shot, but I thought it was still eating away in there. I wasn't sure what was going on."

The bear had broken the light in the coop, so they shined a flashlight through the chicken door and saw the bear lying on the ground. When Anchorage police arrived on scene, they found the animal wounded but still alive, police spokeswoman Anita Shell said.

"They could see the bear through the opening and hear rapid breathing," Shell said. "The bear was not dead, and so the officers finished him off with their shotguns."

Johnson brought the bear to the state Department of Fish and Game on Thursday morning. Rick Sinnott, Anchorage-area wildlife biologist for Fish and Game, said the shooting appeared to be a legitimate case of defense of life or property.

"Once the bear's in the chicken coop, there's not a whole lot you can do," Sinnott said.

The case is the second of the season in which a bear has been killed in defense of life or property in the area, he said. About two weeks ago, a young brown bear that charged a pet dog at an Eagle River home was also shot and killed, he said. There were no injuries in that case.

Johnson said he regretted having to shoot the bear and that he was preparing to install a solar-powered electric fence around the chicken coop in an effort to prevent bears from getting in again.

"I've decided anyway that if this happens again we're getting rid of the chickens," Johnson said. "I'm a hunter, but it kills me to shoot something like that."

Irish
06-02-10, 11:48
http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/may/22/homeowner-kills-bear-in-driveway/

LEAVENWORTH — A rural homeowner shot and killed a large female black bear in his driveway Wednesday morning after the bear returned for a bucket of molasses that she and a cub had gotten into last week, authorities said.

It is the third bear killed in the past two weeks in the upper valley, where state Department of Fish and Wildlife officials say bears have become accustomed to eating garbage, birdseed, pet food and apparently molasses.

The homeowner, who lives near East Leavenworth Road and Dempsey Road, had stored a five-gallon bucket of molasses under his porch when the mother and yearling first visited, said Rich Beausoleil, bear and cougar specialist for the state Department of Fish and Wildlife in Wenatchee.

He said officers trapped and euthanized the year-old bear last week, but the 190-pound mother continued to return to the man’s house.

Wildlife officer Dan Klump, who took the call, said the homeowner — who works in the food service industry — had cleaned up the molasses as best he could. But bears have an excellent sense of smell, and this bear probably remembered the treat and could smell remnants in the soil.

He said the bear was not acting aggressive, but had no fear of people and would not leave.

The homeowner was justified in shooting the bear, Klump said.

The bear and her cub had been moved to the Stevens Pass area last fall, and returned this spring, giving her “two strikes.”

Stevens Pass is about 25 miles from where the bear was shot.

But both Klump and Beausoleil say the homeowner and surrounding neighbors could have prevented the deaths of all three bears — including one shot and killed by a Plain homeowner two weeks ago — and the removal of a mother and two cubs.

“The community really killed that generation of bears,” Beausoleil said. “It’s cold and it’s hard, but it’s the truth.”

Wildlife officers have responded to dozens of calls in the upper valley in the last couple of weeks.

“Every single one of them — and this is true for 95 percent of bear complaints — it’s garbage, it’s bird feeders, it’s pet food,” he said. “When you have a calling card of 10,000 calories of molasses, you can’t blame a bear for taking advantage of that.”

Beausoleil said spring is a critical time for bears, who have lost up to half of their body weight over the winter and are looking for anything and everything to eat.

“If you and I miss breakfast and lunch, we’re going to eat dinner. These guys miss a meal and they die,” he said.

Klump said as long as people in the area continue to provide food for the bears, they will continue to be a problem.

“I’ve handled calls where folks tell me, ‘I’m a bird lover.’ Well, can you design a creative way to secure a bird feeder out of reach of the bear? he asked.

“It’s a community effort, to make sure you and your neighbor’s property is bear proof and cougar proof,” he said.

Klump added that many people in North Central Washington live in bear country, and they do not have problems because they keep pet food, garbage, and bird feeder away from wildlife.

adrenaline151
06-02-10, 12:32
Unless you hit the skull directly you'd have been better off with ball in the .40 (or any handgun caliber for that matter), DPX get's like 12" in gelatin, .40 FMJFP goes like 50-56" in gelatin in some tests that I have seen.

I wouldn't recommend ball for anything with a heartbeat. In a pinch, it would have been better than nothing, but I just don't think it would damage enough(or hardly any) tissue to be any better than a hollow point. On top of that, I don't think it would keep a straight course when it encountered bone. I wouldn't even use it for rabbits unless I had to. Now, when I'm trapping bears or tending baits, I carry cast flat nose loads(Buffalo Bore 255 grain in .45 ACP), and that's the minimum. I usually have the .45-70 close by, and only leave it behind if my hands are full, carrying bait or whatnot.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs171.snc1/6411_102345583111952_100000095310198_65948_890208_n.jpg
That's a 55 gallon barrel.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs129.snc1/5531_102558373090673_100000095310198_71379_6089825_n.jpg
And here's my brother with the sow.

5pins
06-02-10, 12:43
Here is a story from 2002 about a guy who shot a grizzly with a 9MM.

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stories/081902/ala_081602ala0040001.shtml

MGD
06-02-10, 13:05

ha. i love how the person with the shotgun decided to THROW his shotgun at the bear and leave the man with the 9mm to fend for himself.

jtb0311
06-02-10, 13:41

That's for you to decide. Me, I'd shoot the bear and deal with whatever comes afterwards.

Omega Man
06-02-10, 14:58

I guess consolidating to 9mm wasn't a bad idea.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-02-10, 15:08
I guess consolidating to 9mm wasn't a bad idea.

Duct taping the shotgun to your buddies hands is a better one.

Bet that was a quiet ride home.

sjohnny
06-02-10, 15:45
Bet that was a quiet ride home.
Or a very loud one.