PDA

View Full Version : Any existing IL, WI or IN carbine drill/practice events?

HeavyDuty
05-31-10, 21:22
I'll ask this here because there is no corresponding Regional Training Group subforum for our area.

Are there any existing drill or practice events similar to what is run by rob_s and/or his club down in FL? I'd like to start getting more structured practical carbine drill and practice in and have always found it works best when done with like-minded people.

If nothing like this exists around here, is anyone interested in discussing forming a group?

markdh720
05-31-10, 22:07
I'm from Chicago. Training groups are basically nonexistent around here. The only one I know of has cut waaaaaay back on courses and seems to be focusing on training instructors.

I'd be very interested in trying to get a group going if you don't mind a guy new to rifles. There's only one public range within driving distance and I've heard bad things, so I'm willing to travel.

HeavyDuty
05-31-10, 23:52
OK, that makes two of us! I'm all for an all-skill-level kind of deal.

I'll start researching venues for a monthly drill. Any ideas?

nickdrak
06-01-10, 00:14
Im in, and I will contribute whatever I can to the cause.

The biggest hurdle I foresee is finding a suitable/accessible range within a reasonable driving distance. I think N/W Indiana might be the best bet as far as a range goes.

Stay safe,
Nick (Chicago, IL.)

markdh720
06-01-10, 01:56
Three prospects? We are getting deep. LOL.

I agree that NW Indiana will probably offer more venues. I once heard of an old quarry that was being used as a rifle range. I'll try to get in touch with the guy who told me about it if only to check out the acoustics.

Anyone heard of Buffalo Rock Range in Ottawa? Just looked them up. They allegedly have a 100yd rifle range open to public.

My department occasionally gets guest instructors passing through. CSAT taught a class last year. I'll ask around to see who sets them up. They might have good information.

nickdrak
06-01-10, 02:48
Anyone heard of Buffalo Rock Range in Ottawa? Just looked them up. They allegedly have a 100yd rifle range open to public.

Yeah, they only allow bench shooting on the 100yd range at Buffalo.

My department occasionally gets guest instructors passing through. CSAT taught a class last year. I'll ask around to see who sets them up. They might have good information.

You work at Lake County? I was at the CSAT rifle class last June at the LCSPD range.

danish
06-01-10, 06:19
Have you researched the Aurora Sportsman Club?? I was at an RO class two weekends ago and there was a guy from ASC that organized their monthly practical rifle matches. He referred to them as 'drills' and said they utilized the Viking Tactics barrier a fair amount. Good luck in your search!!

jwfuhrman
06-01-10, 06:38
Im from NE Indiana, and I too have been curious about any "Range days" with fellow board members. What are Illinois laws on SBR's? Id prefer to do training with my SBR. I know Michigan is a no go for SBR's.

Ill do some checking on ranges in NW Indiana, seems like the halfway point for most. Id say check out ingunowners.com but that place drives me crazy. Not the smartest group of ppl there.

HeavyDuty
06-01-10, 07:56
I believe IL is no go for any SBRs - I know we can't have them as residents. (Which is probably why I want a Kino so badly - forbidden fruit.) I'm all for an IN site for this reason if nothing else.

I have a friend who's a member at Aurora, I'll approach him. In the past Aurora had a strict members-only policy,. but their expenses are much higher now and maybe they've liberalized it a bit. I'll also look into whether they would consider a class lease of facilities.

Before I contact him, what characteristics do we need in a facility? It might help us all look for a suitable home if we had pre-defined requirements.

How far are we each willing to drive? I'm thinking up to two or three hours, much more than that is too much for a drive-shoot-drive day.

nickdrak
06-01-10, 11:58
Im from NE Indiana, and I too have been curious about any "Range days" with fellow board members. What are Illinois laws on SBR's? Id prefer to do training with my SBR. I know Michigan is a no go for SBR's.

Ill do some checking on ranges in NW Indiana, seems like the halfway point for most. Id say check out ingunowners.com but that place drives me crazy. Not the smartest group of ppl there.

No SBR's in IL.

markdh720
06-01-10, 13:56
You work at Lake County? I was at the CSAT rifle class last June at the LCSPD range.

Let me clarify: A group in my department got some people into that class. I only went to Howe's seminar which was through my dept. There's a women's tactical group run by and consisting of many women from my department. They get a lot of opportunities for training offered to them, so I'm going to talk to their president and see if she can hook me up with some info like locations, phone numbers and such.

A three hour drive is acceptable. I've considered the trips to OH, TN, and other long hauls just to get learn and practice drills.

jwfuhrman
06-01-10, 17:48
I myself have also thought of going a long haul just to get some good drills in. Hopefully we can find some a range that will let us pay a range fee and have a good day of practice

HeavyDuty
06-01-10, 20:25
That would be the ideal; what I'd like to see is something with some structure - preplanned courses of fire and drills, not just group shooting.

I have a feeling IN is going to be our best bet. But where?

GotAmmo
06-01-10, 20:48
if ya'll find or set up anything I'd sure like a reason to visit home alot more. Im from Lake County IL, but currently live with the us army

i'll be following this one

jwfuhrman
06-01-10, 21:53
Ill be checking into Ranges in Northwest Indiana over this week and let you fella's know. would be nice to put some faces to the names on here

HeavyDuty
06-02-10, 09:25
Great! Please keep us posted.

jwfuhrman
06-02-10, 10:22
Ive found some ranges, going to give them a call later today. They are DNR ranges I believe, some sound promising but never know.

jwfuhrman
06-02-10, 12:37
Ok, called a couple places. Only 1 really has potential.

Jasper-Pulaski FWA Indiana DNR
Ranges:
25-50-100-200,shotgun

Range Rules:
No Full Autos
No Range Fee
Sign-in at HQ building
7-4 Central time
Wednesday - Sunday

Its a first come first serve range, and since its a DNR range its probably gonna be busy.

The other ranges I couldn't find a number or any other info to call and see if we could do anything like what we want too.

nickdrak
06-02-10, 14:48
I hope to make it to the Aurora Sportsman Club for this months Practical Carbine Drill session. It sounds like it is still in it's infancy, and the facility sounds to be slightly restrictive, but hopefully the more popular it gets, the better things will develop there.

Tomrasdf
06-02-10, 15:29
Looking forward to seeing where this goes. I'm in Saint Charles, IL and have been (passively) looking for something along these lines for some time with no luck. Demands on my time and resources are such presently that, were something to come together, I would only be able to offer by participation, but I would do so enthusiastically.

Thanks you all for looking into this!

Fyrhazzrd
06-02-10, 16:54
Ok, called a couple places. Only 1 really has potential.

Jasper-Pulaski FWA Indiana DNR
Ranges:
25-50-100-200,shotgun

Range Rules:
No Full Autos
No Range Fee
Sign-in at HQ building
7-4 Central time
Wednesday - Sunday

Its a first come first serve range, and since its a DNR range its probably gonna be busy.

The other ranges I couldn't find a number or any other info to call and see if we could do anything like what we want too.

The range I currently go to in Huntington is a DNR range and I can tell you these fellas do not want to shoot there. From some of the other replies on here it is not what they are looking for.

Not only no full auto, but that includes rapid fire as well. There must be a minimum of one second between each shot.

If you have a pistol, you are not allowed to draw and fire. You must have your pistol out at all times and pointed downrange. The same goes for rifle. Rifle must be pointed down range at all times. If it is not pointed down range it must be locked in your case.

R.D.
06-02-10, 17:38
I'm in. I started one a year or so ago in the Regional starter group section with only Kevin(screen name) being interested. We got together at the Racine county line rifle club(SBR and FA friendly) once. He is active in pistol competition. Due to a work related injury I have been unable to afford a membership at RCLRC. It would be a good option as it is close to the IL/WI border on lake Michigan.

Otherwise I'd be wiling to kick in to rent a range like buffalo pit(Defensive edge has rented their auxilary range) or Racine county line rifle club as they have had Magpul dynamics, Defensive edge(iirc) and Trident concepts put on sceduled training there.

I'd also be willing to go to Indiana.

I'm a chicago native now residing in Lake county il.

balletto
06-02-10, 18:07
Here are some details of the monthly practical rifle event @ ASC in Waterman, IL:
http://www.aurorasc.org/index.php?page=action-shooting-sports

Please note that the next event is June 26. PM me for additional details. You can check the calendar for exact dates and times, for everything that we're hosting/sponsoring:
http://www.aurorasc.org/index.php?page=calendar

Also, plans for the 2010 Zombie Shoot are well underway, scheduled for October 23.

Also, in the area of 'practical shooting' we offer monthly IDPA skills drills, bowling pin shoots, and 'steel challenge' matches. Again, please e-mail or pm me for additional details. I also have a .pdf file with event descriptions and scheduled dates for 2010.

Please e-mail or PM me with any questions about the club, what we offer, and public events that we've got scheduled. We've got ranges to up to 600 yards, with no caliber restrictions.

jwfuhrman
06-02-10, 18:22
Ive spoken with a member of the Nappannee Conservation Club, and he is willing to help out. Seems members of the club there can rent the range for 1 day. Problem is it has to be booked 3 months in advance.

If we are interested in that, then we can go that route. Ill talk to him more about it.

HeavyDuty
06-02-10, 21:49
When is the Aurora drill? That may be exactly what I'm looking for!

balletto
06-02-10, 22:01
When is the Aurora drill? That may be exactly what I'm looking for!

We're in Waterman, IL, about 30-45 min west of Aurora. Directions are on the webpage.

We've got pistol, 25, 50, 100, 200, and 600 yard rifle/pistol ranges, archery, trap, and sporting clays, ranges, with skeet under construction.

In addition to the practical rifle events, we also host several CMP shoots every year. $40-50 buys you 1 hour of classroom instruction on either the Garand or AR, and then 1-2 hours of range time, shooting a slightly abbreviated qualification course. It's great fun, especially for a new shooter that's unfamiliar with the basics of rifle shooting.

Apologies for sounding like a shill for the club. I've been a member for a few years, and am pretty excited about what we've got going on.

HeavyDuty
06-02-10, 22:04
Sorry, I posted my question without seeing page two and your post about the date. Waterman is an easy 20 minutes from me - I used to be able to hear the old location from the house.

Guys, the Aurora drill is exactly what I was looking for. Anyone else want to give it a spin?

markdh720
06-03-10, 04:07
HD, I think I'm in. It sounds like a good start into what I was looking for. I should be on vacation (after being back at work for 2.5 weeks :rolleyes:). I wish I could check out the CMP clinic before the Practical Rifle, but it's the day after. Like I've said, I'm new to the rifle business. The Zombie Shoot in October sounds good to.

jwfuhrman: How much to rent that club for a day? If we can get prices all figured out and enough people confirmed, maybe we can schedule a group class in three. I'm getting some names and numbers of instructors when I get back to work in a few days.

HeavyDuty
06-03-10, 08:16
Jon, I'm still interested in the Nappannee idea too. Having more than one function would be great.

jwfuhrman
06-03-10, 09:57
Id be down for the Aurora, rough guess, how far from Fort Wayne, IN is that.

Im working the Nappannee details out with the guy right now.... surprisingly he is one of the few on INGunOwners.com that doesnt annoy me.

MagPul Dynamics is actually holding a Carbine 1 class at the Nappannee range July 10-11, I was going to attend but other things have gotten in the way and I had to drop out.... very sad....

Tomrasdf
06-03-10, 16:27
I'm committed to something already the weekend of the Aurora drill, but I'll mark the next one down on my calendar. I look forward to hearing what you guys think.

zagzig
06-04-10, 17:19
Wow, I guess I missed this thread. I just contacted Grant from G&R Tactical regarding the events he's been putting on in OH. They're about 7 hours from me, but I'm desperate to start getting some drills in and wring out my rifle (and myself). I'd be willing join you fellas and help out however I can. The end goal is to eventually take the Magpul Dynamics classes, but want to get some classes and drills in before hand so I don't end up being "that guy".

I plan on attending the Practical Rifle event at ASC this month. From the youtube videos I've watched of the event it seems like a good event, but I'm looking for something a little more, i think. It still seems like they're sticking to the traditional range safety rules.

I'll be willing to help out if you guys want to get an event together. It would be great if we could find a place to do some drills, push ourselves, and learn while still being safe.

balletto,
Can you elaborate on what exactly is and isn't allowed? Do they do any reload drills, draw and fire from a holster, etc. It seems like participants were required to approach the line with the rifle in the case and put it back in the case before leaving the line. Is this correct? I did see some shooting from different positions, a little shooting on the move, and shooting around barriers. Again, it still seems like a good event and I plan to attend.

balletto
06-04-10, 20:01
Wow, I guess I missed this thread. I just contacted Grant from G&R Tactical regarding the events he's been putting on in OH. They're about 7 hours from me, but I'm desperate to start getting some drills in and wring out my rifle (and myself). I'd be willing join you fellas and help out however I can. The end goal is to eventually take the Magpul Dynamics classes, but want to get some classes and drills in before hand so I don't end up being "that guy".

I plan on attending the Practical Rifle event at ASC this month. From the youtube videos I've watched of the event it seems like a good event, but I'm looking for something a little more, i think. It still seems like they're sticking to the traditional range safety rules.

I'll be willing to help out if you guys want to get an event together. It would be great if we could find a place to do some drills, push ourselves, and learn while still being safe.

balletto,
Can you elaborate on what exactly is and isn't allowed? Do they do any reload drills, draw and fire from a holster, etc. It seems like participants were required to approach the line with the rifle in the case and put it back in the case before leaving the line. Is this correct? I did see some shooting from different positions, a little shooting on the move, and shooting around barriers. Again, it still seems like a good event and I plan to attend.

Reload drills = yes. Don't think they're doing transitions to a holstered secondary (yet). Not sure about the "take out of case put back in case" question, though I've posted the question on our internal bulletin board, and hope to have an answer for you soon.

Re: draw from holster. This has been an ongoing evolution for the club, which is finally getting resolved. In our old location, drawing from the holster was not allowed, for safety reasons. In our current location, we now have a number of events that allow this, as well as a 'certification' system for members that allow it during open shooting hours. It's not quite perfect yet, but we're getting there.

zagzig
06-04-10, 20:24
Sounds good. Thanks for the info. I'm planning to attend the open house on June 19th and Practical Rifle on June 26th.

Has anyone tried contacting the ISRA range near Kankakee, IL? I have a buddy that joined there. I'll ask him what he thinks about having events there and see if he can put me in touch with the person to talk to. I've attended some of the GSSF events there last year. It looks like they have a combat pistol league too.

balletto
06-04-10, 22:39

balletto,

Answer on the "cased rifle question"
We use USPSA rules, so that requires a cold range. That means either rifle encased until you are the shooter or with a sling/rifle rack and chamber flag inserted in the empty chamber.

HeavyDuty
06-05-10, 04:46
So a slung rifle with a chamber flag meets the guideline?

Also, I've been considering joining ASC. Did they ever implement a installment plan for the initiation fee? I heard they were considering it but the FUDDs were objecting.

markdh720
06-06-10, 20:54
I got an email from a training group called Team Spartan. I have looked into their courses before. Unfortunately, most tactical rifle and pistol courses coming up are "advanced" or for instructors. I can get into the pistol classes probably, but I'm a beginner with tactical rifles.. They've got other classes and events. Some are only for LEO or military, but some are open to public. I've met the president and a few instructors. They are good guys and I've heard good reviews of their courses. I'm posting their schedule in case anyone else is interested.

http://www.teamspartan.com/teamspartan_firearms_training_schedule.htm

balletto
06-06-10, 21:38
So a slung rifle with a chamber flag meets the guideline?

Also, I've been considering joining ASC. Did they ever implement a installment plan for the initiation fee? I heard they were considering it but the FUDDs were objecting.

Unfortunately, there's no installment plan for the initiation fee.

zagzig
06-06-10, 23:20
Just to let you guys know, there is a class coming up (6/27) in Indiana that is being put on by Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute (http://www.michigantrainer.com/). I've read some posts that the instructor, Steve Fisher, is pretty good. The classes are very affordable at $150 for an 8 hour course. I don't think I'll be able to make it, but thought I'd let you know.

Pecker
06-07-10, 09:18
Hey guys, I run the Practical Rifle program at ASC. you can hit me up directly with any questions.

Pecker
06-07-10, 09:22
Unfortunately, there's no installment plan for the initiation fee.

We are working with our website/banking set up to do EFT's from a credit card on a monthly basis for dues. This should be coming in the next couple months. There's a few processes that need to occur before we can implement it.

DaBears_85
06-07-10, 18:59
Tagged for interest.

I'd be more than happy to join you guys somewhere. I'm gonna be at Ft. Cambell, KY for most of July but other than that my schedule is pretty open. Willing to drive.

zagzig
06-09-10, 14:26
Hey guys, I run the Practical Rifle program at ASC. you can hit me up directly with any questions.

Hey Pecker,

Thanks for chiming in. On the ASC calendar it lists Practical Rifle from 9:30AM to 1:30PM. I have some things going on around noon and I'm wondering how long it will typically run. If I need to be there the whole time in order to do all the course I may have to pass until next month.

Pecker
06-09-10, 14:32
Hey Pecker,

Thanks for chiming in. On the ASC calendar it lists Practical Rifle from 9:30AM to 1:30PM. I have some things going on around noon and I'm wondering how long it will typically run. If I need to be there the whole time in order to do all the course I may have to pass until next month.

Yeah, it may be a bit tight. You could get through at least 2 drills by noon.

polymorpheous
06-10-10, 10:12
I'm in. I started one a year or so ago in the Regional starter group section with only Kevin(screen name) being interested. We got together at the Racine county line rifle club(SBR and FA friendly) once. He is active in pistol competition. Due to a work related injury I have been unable to afford a membership at RCLRC. It would be a good option as it is close to the IL/WI border on lake Michigan.

Otherwise I'd be wiling to kick in to rent a range like buffalo pit(Defensive edge has rented their auxilary range) or Racine county line rifle club as they have had Magpul dynamics, Defensive edge(iirc) and Trident concepts put on sceduled training there.

I'd also be willing to go to Indiana.

I'm a chicago native now residing in Lake county il.

I'm a member of said club and would love to see more tactical/defensive shooters join up.

My brother and I just started doing drills about a month ago.
We go every Sunday.

R.D.
06-10-10, 21:35
I'm a member of said club and would love to see more tactical/defensive shooters join up.

My brother and I just started doing drills about a month ago.
We go every Sunday.

PM sent on the RCLRC.

Pecker
06-21-10, 13:27
Our monthly Practical Rifle Match at ASC Waterman, will be this Saturday at 9:30 am. Shooters must be signed in by 9:30 for safety brief. Match starts at 10am.

Cost is $10 for ASC Members/ $20 for non members.

We will have 3 stages this month. Shooters should plan on having at least 3 magazines and 100 rounds to navigate the stages. We will be using USPSA Rifle rules for all matches.

Rules can be found here:http://uspsa.org/rules/2009RifleRules2-5.pdf

For a map to ASC and other info about the club:

http://www.aurorasc.org/index.php?page=action-shooting-sports

Hit me up here with any questions!

Kevin
06-21-10, 18:55
I posted the below here: https://www.m4carbine.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=688233

Hi all,

South side of Milwaukee here.

Below are gun clubs in the area that I'm familiar with, if you have any questions about these give me a PM. I don't know anything about any other clubs in the area:

Racine County Line Rifle Club: 600 meter and seperate 500 yard range, covered 100 yard range, NFA and LE friendly. Pistol range in the pits of the 500 yard range so obviously can't use both at the same time. I believe they're in the process of building a 50 BMG range. They have IDPA, NRA High-Power and shotgun games, amongst others. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 - $300 to join, (sorry, it's been a while,) and then about $60 - 75/year. Work hour requirements are 100 hours in your first three years, then your done, but additional work hours earn you more votes. Off of Seven Mile Road on the northeast end of Racine County:
http://my.rclrc.net/

Schultz Gun Club in Muskego: 100 yard rifle, shotgun games, USPSA and IDPA, rimfire leagues, archery & more. joining fees & yearly dues similiar to Racine County Line, work hour requirements are either 10 or 15 hours a year, I forget:
http://my.rclrc.net/

Oconomowoc Sportsman's Club. Five minutes off the freeway. 300 yard covered rifle range, USPSA & Cowboys, archery, shotgun, rimfire leagues. NFA friendly. Membership is capped at (I think) 300 members so there is usually a short waiting list to join, but worth it. Work hour requirements are either 10 or 15 hours a year, again, I forget:
http://www.oscinc.org/

markdh720
06-22-10, 17:17
Since I'm still new to rifles, I'm going to check out the CMP clinic at ASC on Sunday, then maybe I'll check out the Practical Rifle matches starting next month. If any of you go on Saturday, let us know how it is.

I'm still trying to get in contact with the person from my department who has scehduled special/optional training. I heard she has some good contacts with training groups.

HeavyDuty
06-23-10, 08:26
I'm going to try and make the Saturday ASC match. I may not be able to shoot this month, I assume observers are OK?

Pecker
06-23-10, 10:14
I'm going to try and make the Saturday ASC match. I may not be able to shoot this month, I assume observers are OK?

Sure thing.

HeavyDuty
06-24-10, 11:42
Great! I hope to be there either as a shooter or an observer.

nickdrak
06-24-10, 22:03
Im gonna try real hard to make it out there (ASC) Saturday for the match. I gotta work Friday night til 2am, and then again Saturday starting @ 4pm....

Pecker
06-26-10, 06:41
Due to the nearly 100% chance of strong T-Storms today, we're canceling the ASC Practical Rifle shoot for safety reasons.

Hopefully you guys understand.

--John

HeavyDuty
06-26-10, 08:18
John, as it turns out I wouldn't be able to make it after all. Could you please update this thread for the next session? Thanks!

nickdrak
06-26-10, 08:27
CRAP! I was out the door/on my way when somthing told me to check this thread. Oh well, maybe next month....;)

Pecker
06-27-10, 18:52
Hindsight being 20/20, turned out to be a great day. Tom Skilling I ain't.

markdh720
06-27-10, 20:55
Went to the CMP clinic at ASC this morning. It was a good time! Honestly, though, I didn't really participate in it.

After the safety/handling/function briefing, I realized this was a very basic course. They didn't teach reloading or handling techniques, but most people there have never fired a carbine or M1, which I have done before. I figured at least it was a good day to zero my rifle, which I have never done before.

After a couple relays of trouble at zeroing my irons and RDS at 100 yards, one of the members and I went over to the 25/50 yard range and got my rifle zeroed there. Blew through almost a couple hundred rounds and I talked to a few members. Lots of good guys there.

The club was far (1:30 drive for me from the southside of Chicago), but the ranges were nice. 25/50 yards for small calibers and handguns, 100, 200, and 600 yards, just from what I saw. It would be a great place to run some drills depending on the amount of people a member can bring in. I would join in a heartbeat, if it were a half hour closer.

All in all, it was a good day: got to visit a nice range, talk to some good guys, and finally put some rounds through my rifle to function check it.

HeavyDuty
06-27-10, 20:57
Do they allow metallic targets on the 100/200/600?

markdh720
06-27-10, 23:49
All I saw were all sorts of paper targets, but the members around here shoud know better. Personally, I couldn't understand why they would not allow steel targets at those distances, but who knows.

HeavyDuty
06-28-10, 07:40
Here's hoping. I was introduced to metallic targets for long guns years ago by a friend and have a lot of fun doing it. Very satisfying to hear that "plink!".

nickdrak
07-18-10, 17:07
Are we on for the July shoot?

HeavyDuty
07-18-10, 23:41
I'm going to try - it'll depend if my wife is out of the hospital and/or can be left alone for a few hours.

markdh720
07-19-10, 02:34
If you are talking about the ASC practical rifle shoot, count me out. I'm working. If I wasn't just coming back from vacation, I would've taken the day off.

Pecker
07-21-10, 07:55
Yup, July shoot is on. Here's a copy of the message I sent out to my email list.

Let's try this again.

Again, my apologies for last month. Lesson learned, even if we have to cancel for weather, I'll at least go out to the club and get set up done in case the forecast is way off like last month.

So, this Saturday we'll reset and have 3 stages (maybe 4) for your shooting pleasure.

Showtime is 0930 for safety brief, for those that want to help with set up, be at the ranges around 0800. Shooting to begin at 1000.

As always, $10 for members, $20 for non members. Shooting should wrap up by 1-2 PM.

Brumaltactical
07-23-10, 08:46
Brumal Tactical is located in LaCrosse, Wi. We have 4 instructors, all are from different military, LE, and corrections backgrounds. If anyone is interested in class or custom courses please feel free to check us out at Brumaltactical.com.

We train in on types of weapons, rifles, pistols, shotguns, and in all types of training, basic to tactical classes.

You can email me at lavalley@brumaltactical.com

tampam4
08-14-10, 17:43
I'll be getting out of Navy Basic Training mid-November this year, and I'll be spending roughly a year in A-school in Great Lakes immediately afterwards. Would definitely be in on some carbine/pistol fun.:laugh:

TANGO2072
08-29-10, 10:22
The ASC Practical Rifle shoot on 08/28.
The course of fire was as follows:

3-stages / attendees broke up in 2- Groups.

100yd Stage:
6- IPSC targets staged at about the 50yd line and 1- steel 9x14" IPSC at the 100yd berm.
Shooter stood in a 4x4 box and engaged each target w/ 2-3 rounds.
1- round hit on the steel only.

50yd Stage:
13- IPSC Targets, 3-sets ( L, R, Cntr )
4- dont shoot the "hostage" ( 2- at leftside set and 2- at rightside set ).
1- Center target group had mid torso behind "hard-cover"

Shooters were allowed to start their shoot from the center firing line or move to Window cover ( L / R )and engage. Then at their discretion were allowed to shoot while moving to the other position.

50ft Stage
Here Shooter had to engage 7-targets. 4-targets behind soft cover ( plastic barrels ).

All-n-all everyone had a good time, well atleast by what i saw and heard from those in my Group. Was a 1st for some shooting in this kind of enviornment. We're hoping to see more shooters attend. Even if that means we're shooting in the coming winter months.

"BAD-guys" dont stop coming in bad weather...

see yall out there.
Keep shooting

danish
08-29-10, 15:28
Even if that means we're shooting in the coming winter months.

When were you thinking of having your last match of the season?? I think ASC should keep these going year round, I'm all for shooting in the snow and cold...

TANGO2072
08-29-10, 19:38
I spoke with the individual who sets these up. And our next upcomming Practical Rifle courses are scheduled for;

Sept-25 and Nov 27. In OCT we are having our 2nd annual ZOMBIE SHOOT (http://www.thezombieshoot.com/).

And as for Dec, that individual will be out of town. But I'm more then willing to put one together for those that would want to shoot in the cold rain IL-snowy-laiden days.

Currently the ASC calendar does not reflect the rest of the years planned events.

I am, personally taking on the task of putting together a Tactical Precision Rifle course for our club. Probably wont be set-in-stone until sometime early 2011. I might be able to put a KISS course together sooner, not sure tho. Dates permitting.

nickdrak
08-29-10, 20:06
The ASC (28/Aug) shoot went well. I had a great time and the stages were well structured. Not too difficult, but they were still challenging for the many different levels of skill possessed by all of the shooters who attended. I really like that the focus of each stage was on accuracy.

I will definitely be back next month and hope to see this shoot grow. I am seriously considering joining the club as it aint too far from my home (1 hour), and the ranges are very nice.

Tango,
Thanks for the info on the range for dept. use. I looks like they are more than accommodating. See you next time!

Mat
08-29-10, 20:35
I'm all for shooting in the snow and cold...

Ditto! I just joined ASC last week. Can't wait for some snow!

TANGO2072
09-05-10, 18:23
Aside from offering the opportunity to shoot practical rifle / pistol on a number of Ranges at the ASC, mostly 50-100yd.

The ASC offers a nice 200yd, if 100 gets a tad too boring. Aswell as a 600yd for those that want a bit of a challenge shooting out to an intermidiate distance.

ONLY ASC members may use the 600yd Range after they quailify.
About 20 of us spent yesterday afternoon qualifiing on the 600ydr.

Many thanx to all those that attended and to the Range instructors.

nickdrak
09-05-10, 19:11
Damnnit! I wish I could have made it out there!!! See you guys on the 25th ;)

VaeVictis
09-05-10, 22:04
I've been wanting to try the ASC for some time, they seem like they have some fun events. I was supposed to go last weekend with my friend who's a member, but unfortunately he had to cancel do to a funeral. I'm trying to convince him to go out for the zombie shoot now so in the mean time I'll be practicing at Sycamore.

Pecker
09-13-10, 13:51
Zombie Shoot registration is now open:

http://www.thezombieshoot.com/p/registration-information.html

TANGO2072
11-03-10, 11:48
I am taking on the task of putting together the ASC's PRC for NOV.

** AS A REMINDER **
Date is : 27 NOV start time NLT 10
The ASC course is open to the public. NON ASC members pay 20$.
Currently I am NOT planning on having a PISTOL CoF for NOV.
the PRC will continue threw the winter months but please be forewarned..

with the impending inclement weather We will do our best to provide firebarrels and "might" see about a shelter tent.

I've selected the following Course of Fire;
( these are the "offical" names as listed in the book ( pdf ) )
Unofficial Sourcebook Of USPSA National Championship Courses. (http://www.stageexchange.com/stages/stages3.pdf)

The Chameleon ( page-47 )
Hard and Soft (page-11 )
Speed Kills ( modifed ) (page-45 ).

If you have any Q?s' please PM / Email me.

nickdrak
11-03-10, 12:21
I'll be there!

TANGO2072
11-24-10, 11:43
JUST wanted to let everyone on here know that currently

this SAT is STILL A GO.
Gonna be COLD but it's still on.

I wil be out there bright-n'early SAT morn after work to set up, probably about 0730.
Anyone willing to brave to cold morn air with me is more then welcome to come by.

I have some old wood, from a deck project that we can BURN in the barrles for warmth.

TANGO2072
12-05-10, 10:12
Turn out was better then thought, about 25 shooters showed up.
I broke them up into 2- groups, Competitive-shooters and NON.
As most that showed were fairly new to this and not used to shooting "off-bench".
All have reported having a blast and look forward to coming out next year aswell.

Here's my YT channel and videos from this past weekends PRC.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TANGO2072?feature=mhum.

I've set the next PRC date for SAT DEC 18.
Being it'll probably be freezing...
We're only gonna run 2- short course.
1- VTAC Highsmiths
1- 200yd steel challenge on the 200yd

Icedaddy56
12-06-10, 10:37
Don't forget these guys. http://nawttc.com/schedule20111.html. Eric and the guys provide good classes at reasonable prices.

danish
02-23-11, 20:19
I see on the ASC website there is a rifle match this weekend and want to double check that it is still on for this Saturday. It would suck to drive an hour-and-a-half to find it's been cancelled...it would not be the first time it's happened to me though...

nickdrak
02-23-11, 20:25
I see on the ASC website there is a rifle match this weekend and want to double check that it is still on for this Saturday. It would suck to drive an hour-and-a-half to find it's been cancelled...it would not be the first time it's happened to me though...

Yes, it is still on. I will be there. It will be an informal practice/match according to the guy running it. It will only cost $10 instead of the usual $20. Here's a copy of the email he sent me the other day....

"Hey everyone.

We'll have another ASC Practical Rifle event this Saturday 2/26. Safety Brief at 9:30 AM, hope to start shooting by 10AM.

Again, this will be a bit "on the fly" depending on what the weather (Right now forecast is cloudy, chance of snow, high in the 30s) will allow.

I plan to run through the VTAC 9 hole drill we did in the past. It's a quick "set up" drill and lots of fun. We also like last month will set up a bit more reactive targets and enjoy as much as the weather and conditions will allow.

Since this again is more informal match, I'm asking $10 from all shooters, members and non members alike to finance more steel etc for the year.

I will need help from one person with a pick-up truck around 8:30-9am so if if you can help in this regard, please email me."

danish
02-23-11, 21:34
Thanks!!

fullotto76
03-21-11, 23:34
im also interested in starting to train with my M4 but i live in southern Illinois near st. Louis... would like to put back some money for that place up in northern Illinois NawTTC in Mt Carroll Illinois.. not much around here though...

Icedaddy56
03-22-11, 06:00
http://www.impacttrainingcenter.co

In case you need it, here is their new website. Eric and Steve are good guys.

VaeVictis
04-02-11, 11:47
For anyone still wanting to try out ASC, they are having an open house on April 9th, from 10-3.

superr.stu
05-09-11, 18:03
Hey, I was wondering if there was anyone else on here located in Central Illinois. I'm in Champaign and am looking for someone to get together and arrange regular range sessions with. As much as I would like to make it up to ASC often, the drive makes me think it will be hard to do on a consistent basis.

thanks,
-Stu