PDA

View Full Version : ? about protection while camping

etniexd
06-01-10, 04:04
Hey all, my girlfriend and I are planning a camping trip in the next couple weeks and I have been trying to decide which firearms might be the best to bring along for protection. The area we are going to be camping in is known to have bear, mountain lion, fox, and a few types of venomous snakes, but also protection from 2 legged creatures that may want to prey on us. I really wish I had a revolver cause I know I would take that along but I don't have the money right now to purchase one.

I do have a Springfield XD 9mm and a S&W M&P .40c and I don't know of the two which would be the better since the XD has a cap of 16+1 9mm and the M&P has a cap of 10+1 .40. So of the two which do you guys think would be the best. Also I thought of my .22 single action revolver to take too but load it with snake shot. And my girlfriend will be carrying her Ruger SR9c while we are out there.

I would like to take a long gun too, but I don't know which to take. I have a S&W M&P 15, Marlin 30-30, and a Mossberg 500 12 ga. So of those three which would you guys recommend being the best for protection from the listed animals.

We are planning on camping for 5-7 days so I feel like it would be a good idea to take a few different weapons just in case. We will be in a secluded area but I will be able to lock things in my truck if I need to.

Thanks
Etniexd

turbo38gn
06-01-10, 06:33
Take em all!!!!! and don't forget to take extra ammo.. if it's legal.... why not. Heck, you can do some target shooting too.. sounds like my kind of vacation.:cool::cool:

vaglocker
06-01-10, 08:29
Take your normal carry gun for the 2 legged creatures and the shotgun for the ones with 4 legs.

ST911
06-01-10, 11:59
Biggest concerns in the backcountry tend to have two legs rather than four. I'd focus preps on that.

Outlander Systems
06-01-10, 21:18
I'm with Skintop...

As someone who spends a LOT of time in the woods, both at work, and at play, the thing that always gets my neck hair on edge usually walks on two legs.

http://crime.about.com/od/current/a/hilton.htm

I've stumbled across some real...unsavoury characters where I definitely LEAST expected to.

Snake shot is a waste. Kill 'em with a stick. Bring whichever handgun you're most proficient with.

Interestingly enough, we've had some issues with animal attacks in the Metro Atlanta area as of late:

http://www.macon.com/2010/05/31/1146175/3-treated-after-fox-attack-in.html

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/rabid-fox-attacks-2-tyrone-men-052010

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/23620054/detail.html

The two-legged ones are the ones to worry about. The last gator I stumbled upon at work was dispatched with a socket wrench. The last snake got its head cut off.

If you end up needing a shotgun, or a magazine-fed, semi-automatic rifle on a camping trip, dude, you need a SWAT team.

Pack your favourite side-iron, and a good knife.

LHS
06-01-10, 22:35
Check the local game/hunting laws before bringing a long gun on your camping trip. Many jurisdictions prohibit having deer-caliber long guns in the woods outside of deer hunting season.

Ditch the .22 snake shot. I had some CCI stuff back in the day, and it wouldn't even penetrate a cardboard IPSC target @ 3 yards when fired from a .22 rifle.

I'd take both pistols. You never know when you might need to hand one off to your GF (if she's reasonably trained).

tpd223
06-01-10, 23:52
If you guys are driving in, and not hiking a distance into where you are camping, I'd go with vaglocker's advice.

rifleman2000
06-02-10, 09:17
The only thing I can add is that a friend of mine that hunted in Alaska said that a 12 guage with slugs was best defense against a bear hunting you.

But I would agree to be prepared for two legged varmints. Bring an AR!

MeanRider
06-03-10, 18:37
Your Marlin 30.30 will be the best all around long gun, slim easy to carry and packs a punch. But like the previous post said, check to make sure you can carry a long gun. and sidearns are just a given.

Beat Trash
06-04-10, 12:15
I agree with checking first as far as which long gun might be legal. Either the shotgun or the Marlin would be fine. If both are legal, bring which ever one you shoot better. If you need to use it against a Mountain Lion or a bear, it could be close and quick.

As far as which handgun, the XD or the M&P? I would bring which ever one you shoot better. Bring a couple of extra magazines for what ever you decide.

I find a hiking stick is just as useful for snakes as a snake shot loaded revolver.

The problem with carrying the .22 loaded with snake shot is that it would be a poor choice for defense against two legged threats. The idea of packing two pistols on your belt might be a bit much. Carrying one in a pack cuts down your presentation time to the point where by the time you got it out, it'd be too late to use it.

K.L. Davis
06-04-10, 13:01
Rimfire snake-shot is about useless from a pistol, in a rifle it is not so bad (especially a smooth bore) - I use it in a rifle to dispatch snakes in the backyard, but only to keep down the chance of putting a secondary in the dog.

When I am bee-bopping around the desert, I usually carry a Glock 19 with a 9mm snake shot as the first round (it does cycle the gun) - as a few have already pointed out, I have had more problems with two legged animals than snakes...

I put this together for a little trail gun... it is pretty sweet, 7.62X39

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=117&pictureid=1214

Littlelebowski
06-04-10, 13:02
Situational awareness. On a side note, I'd suggest picking one caliber/platform and training with it exclusively.

QuietShootr
06-04-10, 13:26
+1 for screw the snake shot. I don't understand why people insist on making such a big deal of something you can kill with a stick or a rock. No snake in North America is going to chase you, anyway.

I have camped in the Owen-Putnam State Forest in Indiana and run across a weed patch (unattended, but clearly cultivated), and have seen a couple of abandoned trailers that were probably meth cooks. There are some sketchy ****ers out in the woods.

Arm for people.

K.L. Davis
06-04-10, 13:41
If a snake is far enough away that I can pick up a rock... I will just walk around it - unless they are on my turf that is, in which case they become part of the food chain.

We have the Mojave Rattler, which many say is the most venomous snakes in North America... and there are anecdotal stories of them aggressing towards humans. I have not been chased by one, but they are aggressive and I have seen them strike without rattling.

I have found the 9mm snake rounds to be quite effective, and like having the choice of using it...

tpd223
06-04-10, 23:03
I have in fact been chased by both copper heads and cotton mouths. Seriously, no bullshit. I'm not at all afraid of snakes mtself, but I don't want to share my personal body space with pit vipers either.
Down in Alabama my dad kept a .22 loaded with shot in his tackle box when we went catfishing since the cotton mouths would come into the boat with you.

KL;

What's the make on that rifle of yours?

LHS
06-04-10, 23:44
Back at Ft. Harmar, we used to have a yearly August 'creek match' that involved traversing the creek as part of the course. I remember one of the range officers carrying a S&W M686 loaded up with .38 snakeshot in case of water-borne snakes, but I never got the chance to see him use it.

Most American snakes can be dealt with via a stick or a rock. I don't necessarily discount the use of snakeshot, but I've never personally had a need for it.

Oscar 319
06-05-10, 00:11
I always have a shotgun in my tent at night loaded with 00 and slugs staggered for critters. I always have my handgun for 2 legged critters, as well as an M4 or Mini-14 near by. The biggest animals I would likely encounter are black bear, mountain loin and moose.

etniexd
06-05-10, 03:35
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have checked laws and where I am going it is fine to have a long gun. I have decided I will probably take a few different ones like turbo38gn has suggested just for fun. This is my vacation so hopefully I can get some practice in while im out there. My dad just got a new S&W 640 and he offered to let me take it with .38 snake shot in it in an ankle holster and then carry either my .40 or 9mm on my hip like normal as my primary. In all reality if I stumble on a snake most likely im going to let it be or use my hiking stick but I like the idea of having the .38 snake shot just in case. I really shoot my M&P15 or my Mossberg 500 the best so one of those will be my primary rifle while im out there, but I will probably take the 30-30 out there to do some target practice just because I like shooting the lever action so much. I know its not like I will be carrying all the guns on me while im out there but it will just be nice to get some practice in with them since I don't get to practice much with long guns. I really wish there was a rifle range closer to my house so that I could shoot them more often.

But thanks again everyone for the input and if you guys have any more advice id really appreciate it.

PA PATRIOT
06-05-10, 16:42
Are you camping within sight of your vehicle or humping all that gear deep into the bush? Thats a whole lot of gun/ammo weight to lug along with all your camping gear! As to storing anything of value in your vehicle I would highly recommend against it as theft from vehicle is very high in camping areas. I would suggest your everyday CCW with a quality Hornady heavy for caliber XTP loading and a few extra reloads of same. In bear country I carry a 10mm Glock pistol with Hornady 10mm 200 gr XTP, its a deep penetrator and can work for both two or four legged problems. Just a word of caution, doing a lot of shooting draws attention to you and your camp site, unless you have a 24 hour posted armed guard to protect your gear I would say just to keep it simple. I folding PCC or a SBR in 5.56/6.8 is always nice to have but your primary carry pistol will most likely be all you can access if your attacker hits without warning. Have fun and be safe out there!

etniexd
06-05-10, 19:55
Where im going is pretty remote but I will be able to take my truck back there and have it next to the tent, so im not to worried about the weight or anything. My friends all go camping in this same area and they have set up a little shooting range from what ive been told.

I really would like to get a 10mm to take with me camping and maybe even for regular carry sometimes. I have never shot one but have been looking at them seriously. Also I have been looking at converting my AR to shoot 6.8 after reading so many good things about that caliber.

I will probably narrow it down to just 2 guns maybe 3 I haven't decided yet. But the biggest thing is I just want to get out there and have a nice relaxing time away from everything.

tpd223
06-06-10, 02:36
I've worn an ankle rig for better than 23 years, take some advice;

Hiking and ankle holsters don't mix, and ankle rigs in the woods or brush can be problematic.

Mac5.56
06-06-10, 07:42
Spent my entire life in the backwoods, and I have never once had to kill an animal out of fear for my safety. There are a million and one ways to avoid un-wanted contact with four legged (or no legged) beasts, and then a million and one ways on top of that to defend yourself against the more likely encounters that do not include a firearm.

I realize we are on a gun forum, so it is weighted towards the topic, but your gun shouldn't be your safety blanket when your camping. If you don't know how to keep your camp clean, and non-bear friendly then you may have to use that gun of yours in a situation that is most likely less then ideal for you or your girlfriend. You could have a truck full of guns, and a .50 mounted on the truck, and if a grizzly and her cubs comes walking up on you while your sleeping, well have fun with that one and good luck being the hero. The answer is not what is best to put holes in said bear, it is avoiding that contact all together.

A joke we had in Wyoming, taught to me by the nations leading biologist studying the Grizzly:

Q: How do you avoid a Grizzly attack?
A: Run faster then your friend!

Like I said I've spent my life in the back country. I don't even own a sidearm. I've spent many a camping trip with guns in the truck, or with long guns, but I have chose to spend the majority of my time focusing on the basics of camping, and outdoorsmanship rather then on which caliber of which gun will keep me safe from the big bad wolf.

Throw a gun in the truck if it makes you feel safe. Put it in your tent if you need to, but if your new to camping I don't suggest this especially if your girlfriend is not use to firearms, or camping (or both). If it is in the tent be aware of that deadly cow that might walk up onto you when your sleeping, and don't shoot it in your skibbies cause your spooked! ;)

And if you shoot a fox your really stretching it buddy, and I wouldn't be too happy with you if I walked up onto your campsite (neither would your local rangers).

rat31465
06-06-10, 08:43
Some Shot Shells in 45 ACP will cycle the action on most pistols. I believe it was the Remington brand that I use to use out of an Officers ACP.

According to CCI the .38/.357 are one of the best shot shell loadings they offer, having high pellet count (109 grains of #9 shot)and velocity in the 1000 FPS range...I actually load my own using #14 lead shot and some home made carboard wadding. This is a link to CCI which contains info on these loads.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/pestcontrol_specialty.aspx

I agree with many here that unless your camping in Grizzly country, plan your defense around those growing Marijuana or producing Meth in the backwoods settings.
Missouri requires you to have a small game hunting permit to carry a gun while camping/back packing.

etniexd
06-09-10, 02:38
I did finally get an ankle holster for back up carry and since wearing it for the past few days I have decided I won't be carrying one on my ankle while camping its just too heavy for walking through brush and over rocks and all.

I have been camping many, many, many, many times since I was little and I know I will probably never have to use a firearm in the woods, the only reason I brought this up was out of curiosity which would be the best defensively. I know to just leave the animal alone and chances are it will leave you alone. And I was taught a long time ago how to bear and raccoon "proof" my camp site, so I am really not to worried about that.

Like I said this is going to be a fun vacation and there is an area to shoot up there so that is the main reason for bringing the guns along with me. I mean why not burn through some ammo, I know it will make my vacation more fun. But I also do realize the growing problem of pot farms and back woods meth labs and while hiking you never know what you might come across. Also the fact that there I may come across other campers and though the ones I have came across in the past are very friendly and a pleasure to talk to, you never know when you might come across someone that isn't so nice or has had to much to drink or may be on some type of drug and I want to be able to protect myself no matter where I am.

Etnie

fixer
06-09-10, 13:00
No snake in North America is going to chase you, anyway.

the Mojave Green is a rattler with a reputation for being aggressive... and their venom is both hemotoxic AND neurotoxic, so you really don't want to get bit by one.

there's a reason i don't camp down by the river.

revolver? meh. i don't own one any more and don;t worry about it. i do have 3 Glock 19s, with spare parts, mags, multiple holsters and a .22 kit from Advantage Arms. IMHO this is a better solution than "one of everything".

i've considered an XD and M&P, i just haven't found a deal on one that i couldn't pass up, and neither of them have a 22 conversion yet.

when camping, i often take both my M590A1 with the light and a lightweight AR, also with a light.

K.L. Davis
06-09-10, 13:28
KL;

What's the make on that rifle of yours?
It is a little Rossi break action in 7.62X39, the barrel is at 16.5"

sullafelix
06-20-10, 21:17
I've been backpacking and in wilderness areas of New Mexico and Colorado for over 30 years and have never even come close to needing a weapon for self defense. That said, I still always carry just in case it's needed for a two legged varmint. Since weight is always an issue my current choice is an S&W .357 chiefs special- weighs less than a lb loaded and will handle any foreseeable threat

Roy
06-29-10, 23:12
Im with the Above poster. I have been in the woods of northern MI since i was 1 month old. I have never Needed a Firearm for protection. However since I was old enough ive been carrying one. Now it is usuallay my duty G21 or my Off duty G19 and Either a 870 with Slugs in the tube and Buck on the side or my M4..

and to be honest i just usuallay throw my 870 and M4 in the truck they live in the same case together anyway.

I hope i never NEED them but I always have them

mrwickwire
06-30-10, 00:09
I agree with most of the posters, your biggest threat will come from two legged creatures, if at all. Take the XD, it offers more rounds. Make sure you are using good defensive ammo though. With regards to long guns, take whatever makes you happy. Your XD and your girl's SR9C should be pretty adequate.