PDA

View Full Version : Triathlons

parishioner
06-01-10, 11:12
Any swimmers, bikers, or runners in the house?

A couple of friends and I just began training for a triathlon this week. I believe the race is in 2.5 months so it doesn't sound like it will be too difficult then again I've never done one so I could be horribly mistaken. I believe its a third or half mile swim, 15 mile bike, and 6 mile run. One of the friends I'm doing it with just graduated with an exercise science degree and the other has a semester left on the same degree. I know and they know this doesn't make them experts in developing a specific triathlon training regiment but they have a good grasp on nutrition and conditioning techniques and I've been listening to them so far but I''m looking to know more.

So, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good and trusted resource where I could read up on conditioning, injury prevention and so on and so forth.

Also, if you have any tips/quick tips, I'm all ears.

Thanks

chuckman
06-01-10, 14:23
"Triathloning for Ordinary Mortals." Great book. It has all you need. You can find a ton of training tips; no need to regurgitate here. My one overall tip: listen to your body and schedule rest days in your training. OK, that's two (but for the price of one).

parishioner
06-02-10, 15:24
Thanks, I'll check this out.

Dog Tags
06-12-10, 10:39
ontri.com. It's a online triathlon community. They help you with what days to do what and what to do on those days. Took my training to a different level.

Just remember when you swim to push your chest down. This will help with keeping you legs and hips up and you'll be more streamline.

scubadds
06-23-10, 15:22
Just got into it last year, did about 7-8 last year, about the same schedule this year; mostly sprints but a few Olympic and a few Half Iron distance races. Its fun, have a sprint race this Sunday; I've been slack training on the bike as scuba diving and balancing kids has been taking up the weekends (and I think I gotten a little slack)

Take it easy on the swim, avoid spiking your heart rate as you can never recover during a race.