PDA

View Full Version : Front-sight rail mount

Complication
06-01-10, 12:20
Forgive me if this has been covered extensively before but the search function kept bringing up discussions of rail-mounted front sights (i.e. flip-up irons).

I'm currently running a carbine-length Magpul MOE handguard on my AR. This places my light at 7 o'clock a little bit close. It's not difficult to toggle it, but it's somewhat awkward (I know that kind of comes with the territory of such a short handguard). I've been toying with the idea of one of those rail mounts that attaches to the front sight (something like this (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=front+sight+rail&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&cid=9260228888469692334&ei=Oj4FTMWyEomWwwXuk8jKCQ&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p)) and tossing my light up on it. But, in addition to it sounding like a sub-par idea from the get-go, I'm worried by the fact that I haven't found any reputable, quality manufacturers that make them.

So my question is:
Are these types of rail mounts just a bad idea? Does anyone have any experience with them? Are there any quality manufacturers out there that make them?

Knife_Sniper
06-01-10, 13:09
Try GG&G for this type of mount.

They offer a mount which has a quick detach sling swivel on one side and a rail on the other. They also offer a loop and hook style eyelett on one side and a rail on the other.

A bit more elegant then two rails on both sides IMHO.

I haven't ordered this yet but it is on my shopping list.

5pins
06-01-10, 14:25
Midwest Industries makes one also. I have used it and it works very well.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=94

RD62
06-01-10, 16:00
I run the MI one on my 10.5" SBR for the same reason.

I use it to mount a G2L in a VLTOR Scout Mount which gives me my preferred 10:00 mounting position and helps move the light out toward the muzzle and off the cramped handguard.

I believe Rob_S does or has also run a similar setup.

I have had no issues with mine, and take some comfort in knowing that with the light on the left side, the mounting screw is held captive preventing total evacuation of the setup from the weapon in case of the screw loosening.

Someone else on here shaved down the unused side, which seems like a good idea to me, but I haven't done yet. It seems this would make the mount lighter and less obtrusive, but I haven't had any issues in its stock form.

-RD62