PDA

View Full Version : Right hander shooting a left handed shotgun?

Arctic Sloth
06-01-10, 18:27
I am thinking about buying a shotgun to shoot slugs through. I have other shotguns, but I want to pick up one more semi-auto for slug shooting (preferably at a bargain price).

It is clear that there are bargains out there for left handed guns, particularly nice Benelli semi-autos. Being a rather inexperienced shooter, but one who, while primarily right handed, is somewhat ambidextrous, what would be the main problem with occasionally shooting a left handed gun? Obviously, the charging handle will be on the left, and the shells will eject close to my face, but would it be tolerable for infrequent shooting, or would it be too distracting?

axisofignorance
06-01-10, 19:08
Im a lefty and often have to shoot right handed weapons.

If I'm shooting dirty ammo I often get shit in my eyes, even with eye pro.

After extended sessions I'm more prone to flinching.

And while it hopefully never happens if you ever do have a KB, your face is positioned right over the ejection port.

The only exception I'd say is for a pump action. Over the top reloads are easier and the problems above are negated.

Lastly you would have to reverse your safety if even possible.

I certainly wouldn't choose this option unless I had to.

Madball13
06-03-10, 15:25
I am thinking about buying a shotgun to shoot slugs through. I have other shotguns, but I want to pick up one more semi-auto for slug shooting (preferably at a bargain price).

It is clear that there are bargains out there for left handed guns, particularly nice Benelli semi-autos. Being a rather inexperienced shooter, but one who, while primarily right handed, is somewhat ambidextrous, what would be the main problem with occasionally shooting a left handed gun? Obviously, the charging handle will be on the left, and the shells will eject close to my face, but would it be tolerable for infrequent shooting, or would it be too distracting?

I'm lefty in a righty world and have no issues shooting right handed autos for hunting or trap for years. While hunting don't usually wear glasses and have never had dirt fly out fro my 11-87.

Army Chief
06-03-10, 20:04
I'm not really tracking on the original premise of the thread, as it has been my experience that the left-handed variant of just about every rifle or shotgun that I've ever owned has cost more -- not less -- than the standard right-handed model.

Where are these bargains that you're seeing?

AC