PDA

View Full Version : Same LMT BCG in all my black rifles?

lt211
06-01-10, 20:06
I just ordered a LMT BCG for a Colt A2 Sporter Rifle HB 1/7 from the mid 80's that had the SA BCG in it. BCG hangs up on certain mags so I ordered the LMT FA BCG for it. My question is what if I used the new (same) BCG on all my black rifles, so I only have to clean and maintain one: keeping all the original BCG's from my other 3 rifles like new. Would that be a problem?:eek:

ALCOAR
06-01-10, 20:20
Potentially and I would at least check head space when swapping.

Xpertz1
06-02-10, 11:10
You are going to get a lot of wear on the one bolt. Extractor, ejector and spring.
The headspace should not change as the bolt is built to spec and once it is locked up it is the same as the others.

11B101ABN
06-02-10, 13:15
No head space issues. My only question is why? 1 rifle=1BCG.

Xpertz1
06-02-10, 17:28
No head space issues. My only question is why? 1 rifle=1BCG.

Headspace adjustments are not made with the BCG. If the headspace is right with one Milspec BCG it will most likely right with another.

GermanSynergy
06-02-10, 18:43
I'd save the time and hassle and just get three LMT/BCM/DD (insert reputable mfr here) BCG's as time/funds permit.

bkb0000
06-02-10, 19:04
that's crazy cheesy, just so you know.

part of "breaking in" a weapon is the mating of parts.. you're gonna end up with a BCG that's mated to the surface variations of three different receivers and barrel extensions.. essentially, putting three times the wear on it for 1/3rd the miles.

most guys just keep one extra BCG on hand. it's $130 insurance that you'll be able to keep all three running for as long as possible, rather than a waiting game for failures.

Belmont31R
06-02-10, 19:58
that's crazy cheesy, just so you know.

part of "breaking in" a weapon is the mating of parts.. you're gonna end up with a BCG that's mated to the surface variations of three different receivers and barrel extensions.. essentially, putting three times the wear on it for 1/3rd the miles.

most guys just keep one extra BCG on hand. it's $130 insurance that you'll be able to keep all three running for as long as possible, rather than a waiting game for failures.

I was going to say one BCG per gun, and only swap bolts under 1k rounds with a gauge check first. After 1k that bolt is that barrels property.

markm
06-02-10, 20:20
Crazy talk. Dedicate your bolt groups and shoot them all. Wear reduction is negligible.

lt211
06-03-10, 06:41
I appreciate the feed back. As stated above I just picked up a Colt AR 2 Sporter Rifle HB 1/7. The guy bought it new in 85ish never put one round thru it. Looks new and I paid $800.00, in NY thats a great price for a pre ban Colt. NY still has the Ban in its state Penal Law. The only thing I could see changing was the SA Bolt group that gets hung up on certain Mags including a new LMT mag. I was also informed through reading on this forum the FA BCG is the way to go. Have any of you had this experience with the SA BCG hanging up on certain mags?

Just so I'm clear, I have 3 other complete Colt M4/ AR15 type rifles I purchased all new over time. My thinking was to use the LMT BCG in these rifles on occasion when I shoot them. Only wearing and dirtying the LMT one and keeping the others like new. These are not my go to rifles.

ghostman1960
06-03-10, 10:41
What if you need all three guns at one time?