PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Carbine Nights

wedgehead30
06-01-10, 23:22
Those of you in the NE Ohio area might be familiar with the Greenport Tactical association, http://www.gta.dynalias.org/. We are a small club just south of Canton.

This year we'll be having "Combat Rifle Night" on the second Tuesday of each month from 1730 to 2100. B.L. Farley from Outdoor Specialties,http://www.odspec.com/indexa.html, will be running some drills geared towards the AR carbine/rifle.

It's open to GTA members for free and non-members at $5 per shooter. All experience levels are welcome. We usually gear the night to the shooters. No high pressure, just good folks having a good time exercising their second amendment rights. Most of the shooting will be inside 50 yards. But we've been known to stretch things out to 200 once in a while.

Come on down for a fun night of shooting. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail with any questions. sdenniss@att.net

See ya on the range,
Wedge
:D

oakmax
06-09-10, 12:07
Great aftrenoon of shootin'
great people, thanks to all involved in planning, hosting, and tutoring.
CW

Complication
06-09-10, 21:47
Definitely. I'll be there again next month!

wedgehead30
06-09-10, 23:11
Glad you guys had a good time, good to meet you both. Next one is scheduled for Tuesday July 13th.

See ya on the range,
Scott

a1ctesta
07-08-10, 18:39
I was very interested in coming to the tuesday tactical carbine shoot and had a couple questions. First how much ammo does everyone normally bring, because as a student i cant really shoot much at a time, and also what kind of target and ranges are available, i am very excited to go to my first real shoot with other m4 shooters.

Complication
07-08-10, 19:19
I would be surprised if I went through more than 100 rounds during the last class. After BL headed out, we did some extra drills, and I shot probably 50 more rounds, but bring 200 and I'll bet that you'll go home with plenty left over. We might shoot more as we do more "advanced" drills--or we might shoot less--but it's not super-high round count.

There was talk about shooting at longer ranges in upcoming classes but last month we shot only out to about 25 or 30 yards, if I recall. And even then, most of the shooting was 10-15 yards.

Someone correct me if I'm misremembering any numbers. It's been a month and I've done plenty of shooting other places, since.

wedgehead30
07-08-10, 19:32
Just a reminder that Tactical Carbine Night is coming up on Tuesday July 13, 2010. B.L. Farley will have some stuff to test our skills. Bring a rifle/carbine, spare mags and carrier. You should also bring a pistol and holster since we might do some transition drills. Things will kick off at 1800 hours, but I'll be there by 1700.

Round count will be under 200. Max range probably 50 yards. I've got a bunch of drills to test if we have left over time. Maybe we can get some low light stuff in too. Pretty much playing it by ear. I'm not sure what B.L. has planned. There's always banging and clanging the steel if all else fails.

I'm thinking I'll go old school with a M1 carbine or Commie with a Romanian 74. Decisions, decisions...........

Wedge

a1ctesta
07-08-10, 20:23
another question is how much pistol ammo and i do not have any kind of carrier for mags is there anything that would work besides a carrier?

wedgehead30
07-08-10, 20:45
50 rounds of pistol will probably do. If you don't have mag pouches there's always the old cargo shorts pocket carry. Or back pocket carry for that matter. Don't sweat the gear, you'll get by. It's a pretty informal night. More of an opportunity to run your gun and measure your personal skill level. No prizes for best ninja rig. :) No pressure - no worries.

Scott

Complication
07-08-10, 22:02
Wedge, bring the M1 and a few extra rounds of ammo. The M1 was my favorite gun when I was a wee lad and I've still never held or shot one.

landrvrnut22
07-11-10, 08:31
I am going to try to make this one for once, and get my amigo to show up too. I think I only made it out to 2 last year.

See you there.

-Adam

oakmax
07-11-10, 14:19
I probably wont be able to make it, runnin' the kids around.
Great shootin' with you guys last time and plan on attending as much as my schedule allows. Thanks for making these events possible
CW

wedgehead30
07-11-10, 14:43
If we run out of stuff to do we can always run through the MEU (SOC) M4A1 Qualification Course. It's a nice measuring stick of where your individual skills are. It's very challenging with something non-standard like an AK or FN Fal..........

Scott

wedgehead30
07-11-10, 14:52
I probably wont be able to make it, runnin' the kids around.
Great shootin' with you guys last time and plan on attending as much as my schedule allows. Thanks for making these events possible
CW

Bummer, but family comes first. There's always August and I've got a nice little 3-gun match planned for the end of July. Details are on the web site.

Also reminds me. I've got to have you guys re-shoot the Delta Drill again. I had my head up my ass when I set it up last month. I had you guys shooting the pistol distances. No wonder you guys aced it, duh.:rolleyes:

And you guys been thinking you were high speed ninjas all this time!:D

Later,
Scott

wedgehead30
07-14-10, 14:53
Another good rifle night! It was good to shoot with everyone. The next one is slated for August 10th. Hope to see everyone there.

Wedge

landrvrnut22
07-14-10, 17:11
Thanks for letting me shoot the M1 carbine. I started buttering the wife up last night to let me buy one as "her" carbine. :D

Shawn.L
07-14-10, 18:33
looks like your about 2hours from Pgh..........

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=5169+Greenport+Ave.+SE+canton+oh&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=5169+Greenport+Ave+SE,+Canton,+OH+44707&gl=us&ei=lEg-TLWsB4KKlwf2v_34BQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ8gEwAA

huklbrry
07-14-10, 20:29
Thanks again to Scott, Bill, and B.L. for letting us come out and get some good training in. Cant wait to come out again.

wedgehead30
07-15-10, 10:23
Thanks for letting me shoot the M1 carbine. I started buttering the wife up last night to let me buy one as "her" carbine. :D

Good luck with that one. I tried that approach a few years back....and I'm still working on it.

Don't be disappointed when you see the M1's on the rack at the CMP. They are all diamonds in the rough. A little TLC and it will look as good or better than mine.

Scott:D

wedgehead30
07-15-10, 10:29
Thanks again to Scott, Bill, and B.L. for letting us come out and get some good training in. Cant wait to come out again.

Glad you had a good time, especially given the drive you had. We try to make it fun and hopefully you'll pick up something useful in the process.

You might want to check out the pistol and carbine training down at Tusco that Grant is hosting also. It's an extra 20 or 30 minutes on your drive time but it would be well worth it.

See ya in August if not before,

Scott

huklbrry
07-15-10, 12:48
Im there.

Shawn.L
07-21-10, 16:37
looks like Im free to come out for September.

what should I know ?

Complication
07-21-10, 18:24
Bring a reliable carbine and pistol, a few hundred rounds, and some Jolly Ranchers.

We've done shooting and moving, reloads, and various shooting positions. After a few hours we tend to move to requested drills or marksmanship challenges.

It's a "building block" type thing, so in theory, you'll be coming in on the "advanced" stages, but if you can run your gun without accidentally shooting yourself (or anyone else), you should be good. I don't think there'll be any "prerequisites" or anything.

huklbrry
07-21-10, 18:32
No M855 ammo!!!!:nono::D

Complication
07-21-10, 18:33
No M855 ammo!!!!:nono::D

That's alright, I'll bring SS109 instead.

huklbrry
08-05-10, 11:42
Is everything still on for Tuesday, Aug. 10th?

wedgehead30
08-05-10, 22:27
Bring a reliable carbine and pistol, a few hundred rounds, and some Jolly Ranchers.

We've done shooting and moving, reloads, and various shooting positions. After a few hours we tend to move to requested drills or marksmanship challenges.

It's a "building block" type thing, so in theory, you'll be coming in on the "advanced" stages, but if you can run your gun without accidentally shooting yourself (or anyone else), you should be good. I don't think there'll be any "prerequisites" or anything.

He hit the nail squarely on the head. A good carbine/pistol set up and the associated gear to work out of, no prerequisites.

We are set to go for Tuesday the 10th. If time allows I've got some new drills I need guinea pigs for soooo you guys are nominated :D I'd like to do some low light stuff to.

Scott

Complication
08-05-10, 23:36
I'll need to remember to pick up some .223 from WalMart for steel. All I've got is M855/SS109.

Complication
08-10-10, 22:18
Not my favorite night but I had to bail early and missed the low-light stuff.

Way too hot and I definitely got ahead of myself with the carbine shooting (although I was quite happy with my pistol performance). Some folks looked like they picked up some go-fast-gear at a gun show and had some trouble using it or weren't really that familiar with it. Luckily (for the rest of us) I only saw them flagging themselves. Makes you appreciate a little caution with unknown quantities and that when you've got that many people out and about with hot guns everyone needs to be super mindful of their muzzle and retain positive control over their long guns (which doesn't include walking around holding on just to the butt of the stock :(). It may just have been the heat and humidity which made everyone a little tired and hazy.

We did some really kickass drills tonight (I especially enjoy the 1-4, 4-1 drill) but I would have been more comfortable if we slowed it down a little or ran smaller strings. I felt a little nervous on occasion; a lot of people at a lot of different skill levels, running at a lot of different speeds, doing some complex drills that not everyone full understood--it could be a lot to try and keep track of.

wedgehead30
08-10-10, 23:59
Not my favorite night but I had to bail early and missed the low-light stuff. Don't sweat it, we just dicked around with pistols, lights and steel. You didn't miss much. There was only three of us shooting by then. I was able to redeem the Glock honor on the walk-back drill, in low light no less. :D

Way too hot and I definitely got ahead of myself with the carbine shooting (although I was quite happy with my pistol performance). Some folks looked like they picked up some go-fast-gear at a gun show and had some trouble using it or weren't really that familiar with it. Luckily (for the rest of us) I only saw them flagging themselves. Makes you appreciate a little caution with unknown quantities and that when you've got that many people out and about with hot guns everyone needs to be super mindful of their muzzle and retain positive control over their long guns (which doesn't include walking around holding on just to the butt of the stock :(). It may just have been the heat and humidity which made everyone a little tired and hazy. Apparently I missed a few things I should have caught. It did seem like everyone was kinda off their game. I wrote it off to the heat (?) But maybe not.

We did some really kickass drills tonight (I especially enjoy the 1-4, 4-1 drill) but I would have been more comfortable if we slowed it down a little or ran smaller strings. I felt a little nervous on occasion; a lot of people at a lot of different skill levels, running at a lot of different speeds, doing some complex drills that not everyone full understood--it could be a lot to try and keep track of.Agreed, I need to dial it back a bit. Some of the newer guys were a little overwhelmed. I'll be cutting the line in half next time. I appreciate the honest assessment, thanks!

I'll have to see what I can come up with for next month. Maybe some more individual drills to keep a tighter handle on things. It might help with the newer guys.

Scott

huklbrry
08-11-10, 09:15
Thanks again to Scott, Bill, and B.L. for a good night of training. That was one helluva BOOM stick you let us play with last night Scott. Balls of fire=a good time:D:D

oakmax
08-11-10, 09:15
The mosin rocks
need to get on an old school repeater more often.
Hope to see you guys next time
cw

eXceLon
08-15-10, 15:53

Shawn.L
08-15-10, 18:46

thanks, me and the guys I plan on riding over with are looking forward to it. We are all familiar with operating on a hot range.

wedgehead30
08-18-10, 20:10
The next rifle night is set for Tuesday September 14th. I don't know what B.L. has up his sleeve but he'll come up with something.

I might get real energetic and set up the portable shoot house, just for grins. We'll see.........:D

I'm thinking a M-14 from the armory would be fun too..........

Scott

jjw
08-19-10, 11:28
HEH HEH u will earn ur stripes on this 1

working on something VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY interesting

bring it all
ammo yes lots
lights
guns
friends who have guns
all their friends who have guns

see you there

wedgehead30
08-19-10, 20:46
HEH HEH u will earn ur stripes on this 1

working on something VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY interesting

bring it all
ammo yes lots
lights
guns
friends who have guns
all their friends who have guns

see you there

Sheeet..........that's worth burning a vacation day just to see what's up! :D

Complication
08-20-10, 20:40
M-14, my second-favorite gun of all time. Do bring it!

wedgehead30
08-20-10, 22:58
M-14, my second-favorite gun of all time. Do bring it!

Don't get too jacked up, we took all the full auto fire control parts out. :sad: But it's still pretty fun with an aimpoint and twenty rounds of kickass. Ringing steel at 200 is kinda boring with it cuz it's so easy.:D

I'm low on 7.62 so you guys feed it and you can shoot to your hearts content.

Scott

Complication
08-20-10, 23:12
Well, hitting a 3.5" hard drive at 370 yards with a 3x magnifier on an Aimpoint (with 5.56 out of a 14.5" bbl) was painful but fun this past week. I'll see if I can't drum up some 7.62 and compare experiences ;).

eXceLon
09-01-10, 20:48

wedgehead30
09-01-10, 22:33
Looking forward to coming out to meet you guys.

My standard loadout in my range case is 200 rounds each of carbine/pistol ammo, I assume that should be sufficient for the drills we'll be running?

That should be more than sufficient.

B.L. and I were just talking about it earlier today. Got some good stuff on tap. It should be fun.......:D

I hope to see the usual suspects as well as some new faces.

Scott

Shawn.L
09-07-10, 19:35
well.
its just over a 2 hour drive, more like 2 and a 1/4.
and the front gate and barb wire look very nice :help:

sooo........... we figured out it was next week just about the time we arrived.

wedgehead30
09-07-10, 20:49
The next rifle night is set for Tuesday September 14th. I don't know what B.L. has up his sleeve but he'll come up with something.

I might get real energetic and set up the portable shoot house, just for grins. We'll see.........:D

I'm thinking a M-14 from the armory would be fun too..........

Scott

well.
its just over a 2 hour drive, more like 2 and a 1/4.
and the front gate and barb wire look very nice :help:

sooo........... we figured out it was next week just about the time we arrived.

Ouch........guys you're a little early. Next Tuesday is carbine night. I hope I didn't steer you to the wrong night (?)

Man that's a long drive for nothing. To be honest, we have a ton of fun but I don't know if it's gonna live up to a four hour drive.

Scott

wedgehead30
09-09-10, 23:16
Spent the day setting up the portable shoot house. I got about 75% of it done, should have it finished tomorrow. Nothing fancy but it should be fun. You guys are gonna be the beta testers for me.:D I'm gonna use it in the 3-gun match at the end of the month.

We're going to have a dual range next Tuesday. On range #1 we'll run the shoot house. On range #2 we'll do some shooting around cover. Barricades, a simulated vehicle, mailbox and whatever else I find.

Since it's getting dark so early we'll probably get some low light in too.

Lead flies at 1800 but I'll be there by 1700 to open the gate. If anyone wants to get there early and check zeros come on down.

Scott

Jay Cunningham
09-09-10, 23:17
Sounds like a good time!

Complication
09-10-10, 07:18
Man, I'll be there at 1700. I'm definitely staying late this time around.

wedgehead30
09-10-10, 14:15
Gentlemen,

I just finished up the shoot house today. It's nothing fancy but it is a ton of fun. Three small rooms off of a center hall which opens to one giant room. At last count there were 12 targets of various status arranged throughout it.

We'll use it for rifle night this Tuesday, rifle and pistol. Make sure you have lights cuz it's getting dark early. Also gonna use it for the three gun match on the 26th.

Here's some crappy cell phone pics as I was "testing" today. :D

See ya Tuesday,

Scott

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5203/100910123257.jpghttp://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4330/100910134854.jpghttp://img837.imageshack.us/img837/5993/100910134907.jpg

wedgehead30
09-13-10, 09:25
Guys,

If you're planning to come out Tuesday night (tomorrow) bring a pistol with you too. I'm planning on doing some transition drills and we'll probably run through the shoot house with pistols as well as rifles. And of course there's always the infamous "walk-back" drill. :D

It would appear that we are going to have a pretty good turnout so we'll squad out on two different ranges.

Know your Zeros...............

See ya on the range,
Scott

wedgehead30
09-15-10, 00:13
We had a good time tonight. A good turnout of shooters and some beautiful shooting weather. Split up into two squads on two different ranges. We did some movement, positional and transition drills on range #2. On range #1 we worked in the shoot house with pistols and rifles. It's getting dark earlier so we got some good low/no light practice in too. Here's a few videos of my son working his way through different drills. He just can't decide what gun he wants to shoot. So he shoots them all, much to my financial dismay.........;)

Thanks to everyone who came out this month. I hope everyone had a good time.

I'll have to see what I can come up with for next month. Perhaps something belt fed............

Scott

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29huma7was0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRRU3ilUGD8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0AqIerBVcM

Complication
09-16-10, 17:30
Lessons learned:

1) It really sucks to clear a house, especially one-man. You can go through a small improvised house 3, 4 times, without shifting targets at all, and still get surprised.

2) Pistols rock. Carbines are nice for firepower, but unless you got an SBR, tight corners and narrow doorways really suck.

3) Collapsible stocks aren't just for show and for getting the trigger right where you want it. When you gotta clear a house, it's time to crank that baby down and small as you can go.

4) Guys who think 14.5" bbls with pinned/welded FH are just for guys who want to pretend to have an SBR or that 16" + FH is just as good as 14.5" + 1.5" FH are crazy. Every inch counts. If you want to go through the hassle of getting an SBR, get one for a HD gun. If you can't or aren't willing to go the SBR-route, 14.5" + 1.5" FH is king for HD.

5) It's a thinking man's game. Something like 90/10 should be your thought/movement ratio. Spending 30 seconds in a safe spot to figure out the best 3-second movement is good news. Screw ups are expensive in this game.

6) Committing and making big steps when you do can save your ass when you ignore #5. I entered one room before clearing a room further down that had an angle on me (whereas clearing room 2 would not have exposed me to room 1). I should have cleared the second room first but committing and moving big and moving fast limited my exposure to 1/4 second.

7) In some situations you just can't win, the only thing you can do is commit, be big, aggressive, and fast.

8) Low light makes it suck even more. Especially when you can't even discern where a target is without illuminating an entire room.

9) Know the strong points and bottlenecks in your home, and unless you got family to protect, sit tight and wait for the 5-0. If you do have a family to protect, have a plan, move fast, and shoot anything that doesn't belong.

Complication
09-16-10, 17:32
10) Ammo management, ammo management, ammo management. The likelihood of engaging more than 2 intruders to your home is super slim, but nothing sucks more than pieing a corner (or worse, running into a blind corner to clear it) and having your gun go "click." Before you hop out into the hall or leave a cleared room, check your ammo and top off. CQB sucks. CQB with 1 round in your gun sucks 10x more.

wedgehead30
09-28-10, 17:48
Just a heads up. The next rifle night will be Tuesday October 5th, 2010. Because of some scheduling conflicts we had to move it to the first Tuesday of that month.

I will have the gate open at 1700 hours.

We will shoot on two ranges again. I've reconfigured the shoot house a little bit and I'll have some rifle steel set up on the other range.

Should be fun,
Scott

wedgehead30
09-28-10, 23:46
I just came up with some more stuff to try out. So since daylight is short we'll maximize our time. We'll shoot on three ranges instead. Three squads if we have enough shooters. The shoot house on #1, drills on the container range and long range steel on the rifle range. The steel will be at 200, 250, 275 and 300 yards or there about.;) So if you know your zero you shouldn't have any problem clanging steel at 300. We'll get some low/no light in too.

Scott

Complication
09-29-10, 18:11
I'll bring something other than M855, then :D. Can't wait.

I'm also happy to let anyone pick my mind about what I learned on Sunday down at Ft. Harmar. We only covered the basics but if anyone wants me me to share some of the things I picked up, just look for the dude in the Noveske hat.

Complication
09-29-10, 18:15
Oh, and is there any chance of getting some photo-realistic targets for the "shoot house"? I struggled to put more than 2 rounds in the cardboard last time but at Ft. Harmar with photo-realistic targets I was lighting them up like it was my business (someone said they thought I had an MP5).

I'd be happy to bring some dough for them, but I don't know anywhere around here I can pick them up.

wedgehead30
09-29-10, 19:00
Oh, and is there any chance of getting some photo-realistic targets for the "shoot house"? I struggled to put more than 2 rounds in the cardboard last time but at Ft. Harmar with photo-realistic targets I was lighting them up like it was my business (someone said they thought I had an MP5).

I'd be happy to bring some dough for them, but I don't know anywhere around here I can pick them up.

I'll look around and see what I can scrounge up. We get our stuff from the target barn. I don't know of a local source.

Scott

wedgehead30
09-29-10, 19:05
I'll bring something other than M855, then :D. Can't wait.

I'm also happy to let anyone pick my mind about what I learned on Sunday down at Ft. Harmar. We only covered the basics but if anyone wants me me to share some of the things I picked up, just look for the dude in the Noveske hat.

No tracer either. We caught the range on fire twice over the weekend. Got a good lesson on improvised fire fighting.:eek:

Your brain will be picked.........

Scott

Complication
09-29-10, 19:27
I'll look around and see what I can scrounge up. We get our stuff from the target barn. I don't know of a local source.

No worries if you can't dig any up. I just found it added one more layer to the mind-**** of room-clearing. And I'm all for added layers of mind-****ing.

Stonebridge
09-30-10, 14:53
@Comp: I took the leftover targets home for use in my basement range. There's a website printed on them. It's LE Targets which I remember their stuff from back in the 90's. They've got those old classic ones as well as some nicely updated stuff here:

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_ps.aspx?searchmode=category&searchcatcontext=~010000~010100

If you click on their Don't Shoot Targets page, you'll likely see some old friends....

If you want to add another layer of WTF?!?! check out their targets that work with 3D glasses. That would have to be trippy.

Obviously you'd have to order them in which may or may not be cost-effective for you guys. But, if you can make color photocopies of the faces, you might be able to make them last longer. Just a thought.

-'bridge

Complication
09-30-10, 15:03
Holy crap, awesome.

wedgehead30
10-04-10, 15:38
Just a reminder. Tomorrow is Tactical Rifle Night. The gate will be open by 5:00pm. I don't know what the weather will hold for us. But unless it's raining heavy I'll be there. I have three ranges set up. Long range steel, the shoot house and some kick ass drills on the container range. It gets dark early so we'll get some low light in also.

Should be a good time.

See ya on the range,
Scott

Complication
10-05-10, 23:03
It was cold and rainy tonight but that turned out to be a boon as there were only 5 of us there and we moved quickly and did what we wanted.

Lessons learned:

It's hard to identify dark and dull steel plates in twilight, especially out past 150 yards. And even though, at those ranges, a 3x magnifier feels pathetic, it stands head and shoulders above just a straight-up 1x RDS/holographic. Despite the fact that I'll almost never use my carbine defensively (at least not this one) and, if I do, I'll never need the magnification, I'm very pleased with the slightly enhanced capability a 3x flip-up gives me.

I found my emergency reloads on the carbine were quick and relatively neat. Although I knew that I was going to run dry and knew roughly when, the only conscious thought I can recall during the speed reload was "Okay, there's the bolt release, hit it." I really need to incorporate a cant to observe the chamber real quick before reloading, however. During the drills I've run I always know that I ran dry when the gun doesn't go boom but I probably won't be that aware when I deploy my carbine defensively and going into a speed reload when I've really got a double-feed is bad news. Perhaps I need to start taping up my PMAG windows and loading 20 +/- 5 rounds in each mag.

In low-light in the improvised shoot-house I found I was point-shooting when illuminating my target. Not a big deal as targets weren't more than 5-8 ft away, but I should really focus on getting a sight picture so if I ever need to make longer-range shots I'm not used to point-shooting and calling it a day. Also, I just need to do more low-light shooting in general.

The last time I shot in this improvised shoot-house with cardboard targets, I really had to push myself to unload more than 2 rounds into a target. After shooting at photo-realistic targets in Marietta, that was no longer a problem. I think the fewest rounds I dropped on a target tonight was 3 (and that was a 4" group of headshots point-shooting low-light). I also found that after dealing with photo-realistic targets my eyes went straight to the spray-paint weapons on the cardboard before I decided the drop the hammer.

I also found I was making more complex decisions like "Knife to hostage, need to make headshots" or "No hostage, center mass hits." Admittedly the cardboard cut-outs had hostages attached and weapons painted on when last month they did not, but I think a demanding, high-stress experience like photo-realistic targets and a bunch of tricky shoot/no-shoot decisions (in Marietta) got me thinking on a higher plane even though these targets were, by comparison, much less complex.

I think the addition of hostages, spray-painted weapons, and the variety of positions (standing and "kneeling") was a big step up from last month. I think we all get a little too comfortable shooting at IDPA targets at chest-height and even if photo-realistic targets aren't available, anything to spice it up and present different scenarios is great.

Suggestions for next time:
I know it's not as fancy as the one in Marietta and the intent isn't to use it for hardcore training, but I'd like to see a lot more crappy scenarios in the "shoot house" that make you really think about where you're putting your bullets. So little of all the other drills we do emphasize anything but speed and/or accuracy. If we can add some stuff in that makes the shooter think not just about hitting the target, but WHERE he needs to hit the target, I think it'll benefit people a lot, especially since if they ever have to defend themselves, that level of thought might be critical to their own or others' lives.
Maybe some targets at an angle, presenting a smaller profile, maybe a no-shoot behind and just to the side of a shoot, forcing the shooter to focus on accuracy and to mind the background.
Maybe paint a badge on a "shoot" target to turn it into a tricky no-shoot.
Maybe making some no-shoots that aren't spray-painted red so that the shooter has to identify a weapon before shooting. Or, even meaner, spray paint some other crap on there, like a can of pepper spray, or a beer bottle. Take the thought level from "Okay, it's not red, shoot it" to "okay, it's got something in its hands, shoot it" all the way up to "okay, it's got a weapon, shoot it." (And, if you toss in badges, it elevates the thought required even further to "okay, it's got a gun, but it also has a badge, no-shoot.")

Most of the target suggestions require a lot of painting and a lot of targets to the point where it's probably easier just to get photo-realistic targets. And given that this isn't a home-defense school but just a once-monthly summer carbine night for fun, that complexity might take some building-up-to, but those are all just suggestions for added "fun."

All in all, I had a good time tonight. I got a chance to practice what I know, feel good about some of the things I've gotten better at, and identified some weaknesses to focus on in the future... you can't really ask for more.

huklbrry
10-06-10, 19:59
Complication, good write up man. Sorry I missed hangin with you guys last night, I had to teach at the Kali school.

wedgehead30
10-06-10, 20:36
Thanks to those of you who braved the shitty weather to come out and shoot. It wasn't the best of nights but it beats going to work.:D

We have the last rifle night scheduled for Tuesday November 9th. We'll play it by ear and see what the weather looks like as the date gets closer.

Scott

wedgehead30
10-30-10, 20:54
Just a heads up! There will be no combat rifle night in November. It's getting dark to soon to get anything done.

Thank you to everyone who came out to shoot and help. We had a great year! Next year should be just as good if not better.

I hope everyone has a great winter. Hopefully the jolly fat man will bring you new toys for next year.

Scott :D