PDA

View Full Version : Who prefers flip up sights??

bgoode
06-02-10, 07:07
For thosenof you that don't know me I am very OCD. I just ordered a midlength 16" with a 12" rail. I was on the fence about just gettng the standard fixed front sight variant but opted for the longer rail.

I know I'll have to order flip up sights but my question is who just prefers flip up sight over fixed front sights?

MassMark
06-02-10, 07:26
I think it really boils down to preference. On a short fighting carbine, I prefer a flip-up rear sight and a standard FSB. I also don't see the need for free-float anything, but again - it's just me. On a longer barreled, longer range rifle with optics, I'd probably go flip-ups front and back and a free-float...

d90king
06-02-10, 08:12
You dont HAVE to use flip ups. Daniel Defense makes an excellent fixed front site that is very nice. They also make a fixed rear. LMT does the same.

The question is what are your plans for optics? You could simply go with a fixed front like the DD and a rear flip to accommodate the optic of your choice.

Take some time and go through the AR pic thread and you will see many options that might fit your needs.

bgoode
06-02-10, 08:17
Thanks for the replies. Right now I have a TA31F and my thinking for going the 12" extended rail was that I can always add a sight vs trying to sell the upper or have a different rail I stalled later.

I'd like to get a higher power optic at some point or at least an accupoint and I know a fixed front sight is still usable. Guess I was looking for more options down the road.

Boss Hogg
06-02-10, 08:36
Brian, I think that BUIS are more useful for an battery-powered optic such as an EOTech or Aimpoint.

How often do you hear about an ACOG going down? Even an EMP isn't going to affect it. And if it does go down, you're going to have to remove it to flip up the rear sight. (so you'll need a flip-up, not fixed, rear)

Let's say that this is a defensive rifle. If the ACOG is down, chances are something perforated the glass. If that's the case, you have bigger problems to worry about.

Troy's are probably the "nicest" flip up BUIS. I like the LaRue and Daniel Defense fixed rears.

LOKNLOD
06-02-10, 08:51
Thanks for the replies. Right now I have a TA31F and my thinking for going the 12" extended rail was that I can always add a sight vs trying to sell the upper or have a different rail I stalled later.

I'd like to get a higher power optic at some point or at least an accupoint and I know a fixed front sight is still usable. Guess I was looking for more options down the road.

The big benefit of fixed sights vs. flip-ups is that the fixed sights are "already there" if you need to use them by cowitnessing if your optic fails, i.e., you pull up your EOtech to take a hurried shot and find that it's auto-offed itself, and don't have the luxury of time to flip up sights or turn it on.

If you're using magnified optics like an ACOG or Accupoint, then you won't be able to take advantage of the cowitnessing properties. While most folks aren't bothered at all by a fixed front sight in their field of view with those type of scopes, my opinion is that you might as well get flip-ups in that case. You'll require a flip up rear anyway, so might as well get the matching front and not have it sticking up in the way.

ForTehNguyen
06-02-10, 09:37
yes I do not like having posts in my sight picture. I have this OCD too

shadow65
06-02-10, 09:39
When I was running an Eotech, I liked the flip front and rear. It just gave me a wide open view.
With my Aimpoint, I'm using a fixed rear sight and flip front but would go with a fixed front if I could find the one I took off.:rolleyes:

sapper36
06-02-10, 09:51
My OCD has gotten to me as well. I had been running FSB's with a flip up rear and just didnt like it. So now I am running chopped carry handles. To me it feels to be the more ready option. And to be honest when I am shooting I dont see anything but the red dot.

peabody
06-02-10, 10:32
ok, i give up ? whats OCD ?

peabody

ForTehNguyen
06-02-10, 10:36
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Eddiesketti
06-02-10, 10:55
I was going to ask this myself. I am thinking of replacing the detachable LMT sights. Any real difference?

Noodle
06-02-10, 11:44
The TA31F has a 1.5" eye relief. That does not give you a lot of room behind the scope to mount a flip up rear sight (you don't want a fixed rear with the ACOG as others have noted). If you want BUIS, find a rear that takes up mimimum real estate so you can mount the ACOG as far back as possible. I went with Magpuls (cheap). Minimum space on the rail and minimum height when flipped down. The ACOG fits over it nicely.

logan09
06-02-10, 11:50
I have a pair of troy's on my scoped ar, and a troy rear on my m4, which has a standard FSB(which I like more)

ST911
06-02-10, 12:27
With a high-reliability 1x RDS, I prefer a fixed front and a flip-up rear.

With a lesser 1x RDS I prefer both front and rear to be fixed.

bobbo
06-02-10, 12:31
I suffer this form of CDO myself. (I even put the letters in the right order. You know, like they belong!:)) I'm running Troy flip ups with an Aimpoint comp4 & 3X mag combo, and I really like the clear sight picture.

bgoode
06-02-10, 12:34
Thanks for the discussion guys. I was thinking of changing my order but I think once I get used to the front sight folding it will just become an added step to running the gun so as far as adding practice it does help in a little way to have a folding sight system on one gun if you have multiple ARs

11B101ABN
06-02-10, 13:09
My preference is a fixed front and rear w/ a RDO. With anykind of magnified optic a flip up is the way.

I really believe that the vast majority of shooters would be best served w/ a fixed front. I think that if the FSB shadow, if any, is that distracting, then you are focusing on the wrong thing.

Good luck in your search.

TehLlama
06-02-10, 19:29
I'm evenly split on front sights: 4 Fixed, 4 Folding. All 8 rears are folding.

I really like Fixed front sights for Aimpoints and fixed zoom optics (ACOG), but front flips for variable zoom units...

ghostman1960
06-03-10, 12:17
Non free float rails and standard FSB for me.

Skyyr
06-03-10, 13:07
If I'm going to be running an optic, then flip-ups are a must. If I'm not, then I'd rather have fixed sights on the rail (as opposed to an FSB). If you're only running iron sights, not having them fixed doesn't make sense.

jkingrph
06-03-10, 15:46
I have a couple of sets of the Troy Battle sights, using the HK style front. The rounded guard on the front to me acts like a big double apeature, making for a very quick sight acquisition. The also co witness with my aimpoint.

I I were to go irons only, they would be fixed, not flip up.

merge
06-03-10, 15:53
As some have said, I think it depends on what you are using it for. I carried an M4 with Aimpoint for years. It had both front and rear sights up...never bothered me in aquiring the red dot. IF that 1 in a million happens, the sights are right there, ready to go without having to flip anything up. Now if it's for precision shooting with optics, then flip sights would be the way to go.

noops
06-04-10, 10:52
I use both. Neither really bother me. I've used fixed and flip front with Aimpoints and ACOG's and it's fine. With aimpoints I usually leave them up all the time.

JSzabo
06-04-10, 14:58
I dont mind them either. Use both.