PDA

View Full Version : 6/2/10 Shooting incidents in the news.

Irish
06-02-10, 11:50
#1 FL - Traffic accident leads to shooting. http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20100529/NEWS01/5290316/1006/Traffic+mishap+leads+to+shooting

A Titusville fire inspector told authorities that he shot and wounded a man in self-defense while they argued about a minor traffic accident Thursday in Seminole County.

No one has been charged in the apparent road rage incident in the Mayfair Oaks subdivision south of Oviedo.
Mark Whorton, 50, a resident of Oviedo and a Titusville fire inspector for four years, told sheriff's deputies that a 2007 Honda Fit driven by Michael McClarin, 34, of Casselberry hit his 2007 Lexus at 6 p.m. on Chapman Road.
Whorton said McClarin then "attempted to hit him with his vehicle while (Whorton was) pointing out a black scuff mark and dent on the driver's side door" of his Lexus, Christie Ganley, a Seminole County sheriff's deputy, wrote in the incident report.
McClarin disputed that account. He said the Lexus was blocking the road, and as he tried to ease past, the car began to move and hit his Honda. McClarin then followed Whorton into the subdivision, cut him off and approached him.
"McClarin stated that at this point, Whorton shot him point blank in the chest" with a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun for which Whorton has a concealed-weapons permit, the deputy wrote.
Whorton called 9-1-1, at which time a dispatcher asked him why he shot McClarin.
"He assaulted me," said Whorton, who was returning from his workday in Titusville and was still wearing his uniform. "He came out and punched me right in the head."
The dispatcher asked Whorton to tell the victim to sit down.
"He doesn't want to talk to me because, you know, I'm the one who shot him," Whorton told the dispatcher. "He was highly agitated."
When the deputy arrived, McClarin was leaning against his car with a finger in the gunshot wound to stop the bleeding.
"McClarin told me to tell his family how much he loved them and to tell his children to do right and be strong," Ganley wrote.
McClarin was flown by helicopter to Orlando Regional Medical Center and was described as alert.
The firearm was surrendered to the police. One shell casing was found at the scene.
Wharton started at Titusville Fire and Emergency Services on May 10, 2006, and "has an exemplary record and a great rapport with the community," said Division Chief Scott Gaenicke, who added that Wharton has been an employee of the month and a recipient of the chief's award. "You've got to be a people person to be an inspector."
In his citation for employee of the month, Wharton was recognized for purchasing parts with his own money and repairing light fixtures for an elderly business owner.
He is one of two fire inspectors in the department and was placed on paid administrative leave after the shooting.
"It all depends on what happens with the police investigation," Gaenicke said. "But we also will be reviewing the case to see if any department policies were violated."

Irish
06-02-10, 11:51
#2 http://annistonstar.com/view/full_story/7476824/article-Piedmont-homeowner-shoots-and-kills-invader?instance=1st_left

A Piedmont woman shot and killed a man who broke into her home Tuesday night, sheriff’s investigators say.

According to Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office reports, Dale Micha Scott, 39, was shot several times and killed at approximately 10:49 p.m. in the upstairs bedroom of a residence on Hughes Road off Alabama 21. Calhoun County Coroner Pat Brown pronounced Scott dead at the scene at approximately 12:41 this morning.

Sheriff Larry Amerson said the woman who lived at the residence shot Scott with a handgun after he apparently broke into the home through a sliding glass door on the second floor.

“From everything we’ve seen thus far, there will be no criminal charges,” Amerson said. “She was totally within her rights to defend herself. And in Alabama, a homeowner does not have to have approval or a permit to own or possess a firearm in his or her own residence.”

Amerson said the homeowner, whose name was not released because she is a crime victim, called 911 to report the shooting and break in before midnight. Amerson said her husband was away at work and she was by herself when she heard noises upstairs.

“She believed someone was attempting to break in the residence,” Amerson said. “She obtained a firearm she owned and went upstairs to see what was going on.”

After going upstairs, the victim discovered a glass sliding door on the second floor had been shattered and saw light from a flashlight moving around in her bedroom.

“She saw a man going through her bedroom … he yelled something at her … she wasn’t sure what it meant and she was scared and she shot him several times,” Amerson said.

Amerson said Scott had some type of identification that stated he lived in Homosassa, Fla., however, other residents on Hughes Road said he had been living with them for some time.

“He didn’t really have a home address,” Amerson said. “Apparently he had come to some other person’s house with someone. We are looking into his background to see if we can determine anything further.”

Scott’s body will be transported to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences in Huntsville Thursday for a full autopsy.

Read more: Anniston Star - Piedmont homeowner shoots and kills invader

Irish
06-02-10, 11:52
#3 http://mobile.latimes.com/inf/infomo?view=page7&feed:a=latimes_1min&feed:c=localnews&feed:i=53829257

A Lake Forest woman shot a dog after it attacked her 6-year-old daughter outside their home Wednesday morning, authorities said.

The girl and the woman's 3-year-old daughter were walking to a neighbor's house on a quiet cul-de-sac when a dog, thought to be a boxer or a pit bull mix, attacked the older girl, said Orange County Sheriff's Department spokesman Jim Amormino.

The unidentified woman, holding her 1-year-old daughter and accompanied by her 14-year-old son, was drawn from the house by the children's screams. Outside, they found the dog on top of the 6-year-old, biting her.

A neighbor tried to get the dog off the girl by spraying it with Windex, Amormino said. When that didn't work, the 14-year-old punched the dog until it released the child.

The woman scooped up her daughters and ran to her house, Amormino said, but the dog chased them, at one point snapping at the 1-year-old's pant legs.

The woman tried to scare the dog away by yelling and stomping, but when that failed to work, she got a 9-millimeter Glock semiautomatic pistol from the house and shot it once in the neck, Amormino said.

The dog was taken to a local veterinarian's office and survived, Amormino said. Sheriff's deputies were looking for the owner.

The 6-year-old was treated by paramedics for bite marks to her face, leg, arm and shoulder, Amormino said.

Irish
06-02-10, 11:53
#4 http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7008784.html

A woman fatally shot her ex-husband after the man stabbed her several times at a Montrose apartment complex Sunday.

The shooting occurred at an apartment in the 3400 block Yupon about 4:30 p.m., police said.

The case is expected to be turned over to a Harris County grand jury to determine whether charges are filed.

The name of the 32-year-old man, who died at the scene, has not been released.

His ex-wife, whose name has not been released, had several stab wounds and was rushed to Ben Taub General Hospital. Her condition is unknown.

According to police, the woman grabbed her gun and shot her ex-husband after he stabbed her. No other information was immediately available.

Irish
06-02-10, 11:55
#5 http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12535030

KERSHAW COUNTY, SC (WIS) - Kershaw deputies say a repeat burglar is off the streets and in the hospital after being wounded during his latest robbery attempt.

The burglary that almost happened was in Kershaw County near the Lee County line late last night.

Pedro King, 65, says he was the one who shot the intruder, Stoney Lee Wilson.

"I was sitting there taking my shoes off and I was about ready to throw them on the couch," said King. "Door swung open and I shot him."

After burglars broke into his son's home earlier this week, he hunkered down inside Sunday night with a gun on a hunch. How'd he know? "I just had that feeling," he said.

King says it was all very calculated.

"I was getting him in the leg," said King. "That's where I aimed. Didn't want to kill him, didn't want him to suffer."

King says what he did inside that home was to protect his son. Turns out King has shot someone before and that time he says it was to protect his siblings. "I shot my dad in 1974," he said.

King's father survived the shooting. So did the man deputies say burglarized his son.

Deputies say King will not be charged because he was protecting his property.

Wilson is in the hospital. After that, deputies say he will go to jail. They say they've connected him to a string of burglaries.

Irish
06-02-10, 11:56
That's all she wrote... Have a good day and stay out of the news! ;)

Irish
06-02-10, 12:07
#6 I didn't want to start another thread and this would've been a shooting incident if I would've been in the hospital. Sheer stupidity in my opinion. http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/may/29/hospital-uses-armed-man-unannounced-drill/

How’s this for an ill-conceived emergency preparedness drill? An off-duty cop pretending to be a terrorist stormed into a hospital intensive care unit brandishing a handgun, which he pointed at nurses while herding them down a corridor and into a room.

There, after harrowing moments, he explained that the whole caper was a training exercise.

The staff at St. Rose Dominican Hospitals-Siena Campus, where the incident took place Monday morning, found the exercise more traumatizing than instructive.

Hospital employees would have been justified in fearing for their lives.

Just last year, Henderson police shot and killed an armed, hostile man in the emergency room. So it would make sense that security and emergency preparedness have been a focus at the hospital.

But in Monday’s incident, which occurred in a unit that houses the hospital’s sickest patients, nurses, patients and their families did not know it was a drill, said Renee Ruiz, organizer of the California Nurses Association, which represents staff at the hospital.

“There are significant safety issues here,” Ruiz said. “We would never condone a drill like this. We put the safety of the patients and nurses and hospital staff first and foremost.”

Ruiz said the union is investigating the incident. Many people saw the gunman, she said, and the union is gathering statements and talking to hospital administrators.

Andy North, director of public policy and external affairs for the hospital, apologized for any distress caused by the incident. There’s been an “ongoing effort to try and make (emergency preparedness drills) as realistic as possible,” he said, but the goal is not to scare or harm anyone.

He said as many as 10 employees were involved in the incident and no one was hurt. The actor was from a local police department, North said.

The staff was supposed to have been told in advance of the exercise, but there was a “disconnect,” North said. That won’t happen again, he said.

State regulators who license hospitals said Friday the incident may warrant investigation, depending on whether patient care was compromised.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-02-10, 12:09
http://borrowingtrouble.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/windex.jpg VS. http://policequest.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/glock-19-jpg.gif

Which one works better against pit bulls?

13F3OL7
06-02-10, 13:18
Irishluck73, hope you don't mind me posting one from the U.K.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37467424/ns/world_news-europe/?GT1=43001

SEASCALE, England - A taxi driver described as "friends with everybody" went on a shooting spree across the scenic Lake District of northwestern England on Wednesday, police said, killing 12 people and wounding 25 others before shooting himself.

The rampage in Cumbria was the deadliest mass shooting since 1996 in Britain, where gun ownership is tightly restricted and handguns are banned.

The deadly spree "has shocked the people of Cumbria and around the country to the core," Deputy Chief Constable Stuart Hyde said.

Officers found Derrick Bird's body in woods near the Lake District village of Boot. Hyde said two weapons were recovered from the scene.

The shootings occurred in the town of Whitehaven and nearby Seascale and Egremont, about 350 miles northwest of London. The area is popular with hikers and vacationers.

Health service spokesman Nigel Calvert said three of the injured were in a critical condition in the hospital.

Hyde said there were 30 separate crime scenes. Witnesses described seeing the gunman driving around shooting out the window of his car. His victims included a woman on a bicycle, a farmer in his field and at least two fellow taxi drivers.

Barrie Walker, a doctor in Seascale who certified one of the deaths, told the BBC that victims had been shot in the face, apparently with a shotgun.

Witness Alan Hannah told the Whitehaven News that he saw a man with a shotgun in a car near a taxi stand in Whitehaven. Photos showed a body, covered in a sheet, lying in a street in the town.

The BBC reported that detectives said Bird drove to the central Lake District in a Citroen Picasso and abandoned it in the Boot area. Hyde said a body thought to be Bird's was then found in a wooded area, the BBC reported.

"This kind of thing doesn't happen in our part of the world," local lawmaker Jamie Reed told the BBC. "We have got one of the lowest, if not the lowest, crime rates in the country."

Multiple shootings in Britain are rare. In 1987, gun enthusiast Michael Ryan killed 16 people in the English town of Hungerford. In 1996, Thomas Hamilton killed 16 children and a teacher at a kindergarten in Dunblane, Scotland.

Glenda Pears, who runs L&G Taxis in Whitehaven, said one of the victims was another taxi driver who was a friend of Bird's.

"They used to stand together having a craic (laugh) on the rank," she said. "He was friends with everybody and used to stand and joke on Duke Street."

Sue Matthews, who works at A2B Taxis in Whitehaven, said Bird was self-employed, quiet and lived alone.

"I would say he was fairly popular. I would see him once a week out and about. He was known as 'Birdy,"' she said.

"I can't believe he would do that — he was a quiet little fellow."

Irish
06-02-10, 13:25
Irishluck73, hope you don't mind me posting one from the U.K.

Not at all. We can learn lessons from all over the world.

06-02-10, 15:20
So the guy that was shot in the first incident(in FL) was shot in the chest(9mm) and; then just stood there with a finger in the hole to stop the bleeding? If it had been a .45....:D:p;)

kal
06-02-10, 17:11
If it had been a .45....

....he would have to put a whole fist in there. :D

Also, I'm grabbing popcorn for the UK shooting. I think they're going all the way now and banning crime.

woodandsteel
06-03-10, 10:12
Man shot by resident after breaking into home during cop chase

Man shot by resident after breaking into home during cop chase
June 3, 2010 9:38 AM | 51 Comments | UPDATED STORY
A South Austin resident shot and wounded a man who crashed through the window of his home while fleeing police early this morning, officials say.

The resident had a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and police are not pursuing charges against him despite the city's ban on handguns, police said.

It's the second time in little more than a week that police have chosen not to file charges against someone who shot an intruder. On May 26, an 80-year-old East Garfield Park homeowner shot and killed a suspected burglar.

In today's incident, Aaron Marshall was pulled over by police for a traffic violation in the 300 block of North Pine Street in the South Austin neighborhood on the West Side shortly after midnight, according to Police News Affairs Officer Laura Kubiak.

Marshall, a convicted felon, jumped out of his car and led officers on a foot chase as he dropped a large quantity of narcotics, Kubiak said.

Marshall crashed through the front window of a home on the 300 block of North Long Avenue, Kubiak said. When police showed up at the home, they found the man shot in the chest, apparently with a revolver, Kubiak said.

The residents told police they heard glass breaking and saw a man inside their home, Kubiak said. One resident told police he feared for his safety and shot the man, Kubiak said.

Marshall was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where his condition had stabilized. He was expected to survive, officials said.

Marshall, of the 5400 block of West Monroe Street, has been charged with criminal trespass and drug possession, Kubiak said. He also was ticketed for failure to heed a stop sign and for driving on a revoked license.

Marshall's criminal background includes a felony drug conviction in 2009 and a 2007 conviction for felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, court records show. He also is a gang member with a lengthy arrest record, police said.

-- Carlos Sadovi

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/06/man-shot-by-homeowner-after-breaking-into-home-to-flee-police.html

I'm glad that the homeowner won't be charged. I'm sure all these stories of decent people fighting back, are giving Daley fits.

Irish, I hope you don't mind me attaching this to your thread. Feel free to use this if you do a 6/3/2010 shooting incident thread.

Irish
06-03-10, 11:26
Irish, I hope you don't mind me attaching this to your thread. Feel free to use this if you do a 6/3/2010 shooting incident thread.

Not at all brother. I just hope some positive comes out of posting these things. That incident had a thread started already though ;) https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54860

woodandsteel
06-03-10, 11:45
Not at all brother. I just hope some positive comes out of posting these things. That incident had a thread started already though ;) https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54860

Oh Snap! Should've known it was covered already.

I'm always the last person to hear anything.