PDA

View Full Version : SSA 6.8 SPC 110 Gr ProHunter question

billclodude
06-02-10, 15:34
I have a question. I have an 6.8 upper that has been exhibiting overgassing, and I was told to put an adjustable gas block on it. I am having a hard time finding a setting that will allow me to use both the SSA 110gr ProHunter and 115gr SMK loads w/o destroying the brass for reloading.

So far I have only been able to tune it for one bullet weight; if I try the other, the brass shows major swipes and extractor marking, making it difficult to reuse for reloading.

My plan had been to practice with the 110gr loads and reload them, as these loads seem to be more accurate in my rifle, and then use the 115gr SMK loads for home defense, etc. The point of impact at sub-50 yards is very close.

But now it seems that I may have to stick with the ProHunters since they are more accurate and cheaper to reload. I would still use the SSA 110gr ProHunter factory rounds for defense.

My dilemma is this: I'm under the impression that the ProHunters may exhibit excessive penetration, especially since I'm using the Tactical loads. 15+ inches of penetration might be a tad too much...and possibly more with the Tactical loads.

Doc, can you advise me?

DocGKR
06-02-10, 17:35
The 110 gr Pro-Hunters are a good projectile that will work well for both hunting and self-defense.

billclodude
06-02-10, 18:06
Thank you. I had been under the impression that the penetration might be a bit too much.

I'll simplify my life and just stick with the ProHunters then, and sell off the 115gr SMKs then - if I adjust the gas block so that the ProHunters work perfectly, the SMKs don't cycle reliably plus the brass is ruined. :(

DocGKR
06-02-10, 21:05
With all the 6.8 mm uppers we have used since 2002, none have ever required an adjustable gas block or would not function with both Pro Hunters and 110/115 gr OTM's...

billclodude
06-03-10, 10:00
With all the 6.8 mm uppers we have used since 2002, none have ever required an adjustable gas block or would not function with both Pro Hunters and 110/115 gr OTM's...

Apparently the builder of this upper decided to make the gas port larger to accommodate the shooters who were complaining that the SSA 90gr loads were not cycling the action. Then SSA decided to up the powder charge or something... :( So the upper was overgassed, and even with a SSS spring and H2 buffer it was bending case rims and having major swipes/extractor gouging of the case head.

Since the builder has more or less gone out of business, and isn't answering emails - his phone number is no longer on his website - I had to do something to get my expensive upper to run. :(

It was that or sell off all my 6.8 stuff at a large loss. I'm on my 3rd upper that hasn't met expectations, and I won't buy a 4th one. I like the round, but am kind of tired of the hassles I've been encountering with it.

ccoker
06-03-10, 10:09
what buffer are you running?

billclodude
06-03-10, 11:20
I've used standard carbine, H1, H2 buffer, standard carbine spring, and Tubbs SSS spring. None helped all that much.

I can get the gas block tuned to one load, no problem. It's when I try to use both with the same setting that I run into problems. Seems like I haven't been able to find a compromise setting that will cycle both rounds and doesn't destroy the brass. :(

ccoker
06-03-10, 14:04
arg
you posted this on the 68 forums as well right?

billclodude
06-03-10, 14:10
arg
you posted this on the 68 forums as well right?

Yes, I did. I've got some feelers out to a couple people asking for advice, haven't heard from them yet.

billclodude
06-08-10, 07:16
Yes, I did. I've got some feelers out to a couple people asking for advice, haven't heard from them yet.

Looks like I am pretty much hosed. This appears to be one of the darker sides of the 6.8 round - there is such a range of projectiles, that one gas port size may not accommodate them all. What works for 110-115gr loads doesn't work well for the 90gr crowd, and in reverse.

I've got a one load gun, and will have to readjust the gas block to change loads out, plus rezero... :(

DocGKR
06-08-10, 10:48
We have been able to shoot numerous rounds of Hornady 110 gr OTM and 110 gr VMAX, the SSA 115 gr OTM, 110 gr JSP, 110 gr TSX, 110 gr Accubond, 100 gr Accubond, and 85 gr TSX; Rem 115 gr OTM and 115 gr JSP through various 6.8 mm uppers without any functioning issues. We recently ran a test of the new Battle Comp muzzle brake on 12" and 16" 6.8 mm uppers assembled by Wes Grant at MSTN and had NO difficulties in rapid fire with six different loads from 4 different ammo vendors...

worldskipper
06-08-10, 12:15
Doc does this mean you've tested the 95 tsx and 100gr accubond? Did you have a chance to test SSA 90gr TNT's?

DocGKR
06-08-10, 14:02
90 gr TNT here--https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27457

100 gr Accubond needs to get glass testing completed.

Have the 95 gr TTSX, but have not yet shot them.

jmart
06-08-10, 15:05
Apparently the builder of this upper decided to make the gas port larger to accommodate the shooters who were complaining that the SSA 90gr loads were not cycling the action. Then SSA decided to up the powder charge or something... :( So the upper was overgassed, and even with a SSS spring and H2 buffer it was bending case rims and having major swipes/extractor gouging of the case head.

Since the builder has more or less gone out of business, and isn't answering emails - his phone number is no longer on his website - I had to do something to get my expensive upper to run. :(

It was that or sell off all my 6.8 stuff at a large loss. I'm on my 3rd upper that hasn't met expectations, and I won't buy a 4th one. I like the round, but am kind of tired of the hassles I've been encountering with it.

I know ADCO offers a service where they can relocate gas ports. This obviously would have to entail filling/welding the original port.

Perhaps they could weld your exising port and re-drill it smaller, I just don't know if this is an option or not. Just a thought, if you think the barrel is useless now it might be worth a shot.

billclodude
06-08-10, 17:57
I know ADCO offers a service where they can relocate gas ports. This obviously would have to entail filling/welding the original port.

Perhaps they could weld your exising port and re-drill it smaller, I just don't know if this is an option or not. Just a thought, if you think the barrel is useless now it might be worth a shot.

Well I won't say the barrel is useless, it's just much more of a hassle to switch ammo than say with the 5.56, which runs fine with everything I feed it (55gr FMJ to 75gr Hornady TAP) w/o issues.

It's quite accurate, and until I have a pressing need to use more ammo types than the Prohunters, I guess I'll stick with it.

Not sure about redrilling a new gas port in the same place, but it wouldn't hurt to ask about that just for my info.

DocGKR
06-08-10, 19:33
There is something wrong with that rifle.

As I noted above, over the past 8 years, our numerous 6.8 mm uppers with 8" to 20" barrels have worked with loads from 85 gr to 115 gr without any problems.

billclodude
06-11-10, 05:23
There is something wrong with that rifle.

As I noted above, over the past 8 years, our numerous 6.8 mm uppers with 8" to 20" barrels have worked with loads from 85 gr to 115 gr without any problems.

I agree, and I've been looking into getting it rebarrelled, but am running into problems... I don't want to sell the upper and wait forever for a Noveske either. :(

DocGKR
06-11-10, 13:51
Call Wes Grant at MSTN, he knows his way around 6.8 mm uppers...

billclodude
06-11-10, 14:26
Call Wes Grant at MSTN, he knows his way around 6.8 mm uppers...

Thanks, checked him out, but 1) I can't afford a $567 Noveske barrel + bolt, 2) he doesn't have any to sell separately at this time anyways.

Any other good choices in a non-stainless 16" lightweight barrel w/SPC-2 chamber, 1/11 twist or better barrel?

QuadBomb
06-12-10, 14:17
Thanks, checked him out, but 1) I can't afford a $567 Noveske barrel + bolt, 2) he doesn't have any to sell separately at this time anyways.

Any other good choices in a non-stainless 16" lightweight barrel w/SPC-2 chamber, 1/11 twist or better barrel?

You could try AR15Performance.com. I haven't had the chance to shoot mine yet, but I have never heard one bad thing about Harrison and his work.

billclodude
06-14-10, 07:07
Unfortunately, doesn't look feasible. The upper was from Titan Armory, now semi-defunct due to the owner having family and personal medical issues. I had the nerve to complain that he wasn't living up to his obligations concerning warranty service - if things are that bad he needs to fold up, tell everyone, and reopen when he gets things in order. The owner of ARPerformance was nice enough to do the initial gas block install to try to get me up and running at no cost (other than my paying shipping both ways). But after I complained publically about Titan Armory, he no longer answers my emails about rebarrelling the upper for me (which I will pay for). Guess he's upset at me for criticizing his buddy or something. :(

He doesn't offer what I want in a stock upper, so just buying one of his stock uppers isn't in the cards.

Dr Dues
06-14-10, 14:59
The attitude you describe is one of the key reasons I no longer follow, or do business with the individuals at that site.
I consider it an expensive lesson learned..........

billclodude
06-14-10, 15:33
The attitude you describe is one of the key reasons I no longer follow, or do business with the individuals at that site.
I consider it an expensive lesson learned..........

Certainly it's been an expensive journey with the 6.8. I've had 4 bad uppers now:
2 Cardinal Armory uppers, both victims of the excess chrome in the bore fiasco.
1 Self-built upper w/WOA barrel, exhibited bad swipes, other pressure signs, was rather inaccurate.
1 Titan Armory upper, overgassed, had to install the adjustable gas block to get it to not kill the brass and it was bending case rims as well...it's working sort of now, will basically have to dial it in for one load, and leave it alone. Trying out different ammo types will be a chore since I have to adjust it every time I try a new variety. :(

I don't know why I've stuck with the 6.8. I do like the round alot, but it's been an expensive and hassle-filled experience to be sure.

DocGKR
06-14-10, 16:47
MSTN, Noveske, Barrett all seem do do 6.8 mm without any hassles or problems...

Dr Dues
06-14-10, 17:26
Billclodude:
DocGKR, as always, gives good SOLID advice WRT Terminal wound Ballistics and platforms!!
FWIW, I have Two Noveske uppers........they run like sewing machines.