PDA

View Full Version : Meal replacements

06-02-10, 15:39
Night owls know what I am talking about. It's either fast food or junk food at the local watering hole on duty.
I'd rather have a meal replacement (shake or whatever) for my meals at work instead of a heart clogging burger until I can get home and eat a nice meal. When I say nice, I mean healthy.
Can anyone recommend a "healthy" meal replacement shake? I would like to keep the carbs down as well.

jmcrawf1
06-02-10, 15:44
I'm not an LEO, but i've been eating a power bar for breakfast and lunch and a regular meal for supper. The power bars taste pretty good (I like the peanut butter) and are surprisingly filling, yet you don't feel all bloated and gross. Plus they do give you a little energy pick-me-up. I've tried shakes and other protein/meal replacement bars and I like these the best.

Oh, you can get them in bulk at Sam's if you like them.

SHIVAN
06-02-10, 15:45
Clif Bars are working for me.

wake.joe
06-02-10, 15:50
Make some beef jerky, and take that along!

NCPatrolAR
06-02-10, 15:52
I'm not an LEO, but i've been eating a power bar for breakfast and lunch and a regular meal for supper. The power bars taste pretty good (I like the peanut butter) and are surprisingly filling, yet you don't feel all bloated and gross. Plus they do give you a little energy pick-me-up. I've tried shakes and other protein/meal replacement bars and I like these the best.

Oh, you can get them in bulk at Sam's if you like them.

I've never been able to stomach the taste of any kind of power bar. Bars that have protein are that much worst to me.

For meal replacement, I use the Wal-Mart version of Slim Fast.

06-02-10, 16:56
I never really liked Power Bars. They are just not appetizing for me. Never tried Clif yet.. I'll give it a shot.

Is Slim Fast or the equiv filling at least? I don't want to be hungry 5 minutes later. That would suck.

8200rpm
06-02-10, 17:18
I'm not a night owl, but I'm too lazy to make breakfast. This is what I do...

Couple hard-boiled eggs, banana, another in-season fruit or fresh berries, and handful of cashews/almonds/walnuts. The hard-boiled eggs can stay unrefrigerated for a couple hours without spoiling. The rest are good all day. Use a small lunch bag with blue ice in warmer weather.

Leave it all in the fridge the night before. Grab the bag as you head out the door, eat when convenient... nothing to heat before or clean afterward.

Shakes and bars are good for about 2 weeks, then I get sick of them and can't touch them for several months.

MeanRider
06-03-10, 16:51
I will second the Cliff Bars they are awesome. And the best part no Corn syrup crap. Very healthy and taste great.

Fyrhazzrd
06-03-10, 18:36
I've never had a Cliff Bars, however every other power bar that I have ever eaten sucked. I could never eat one in place of a meal. I'm still hungry after eating one.

tampam4
06-03-10, 22:41
Clif Bars are working for me.

I wholeheartedly agree. I think I have 5 boxes of Chocolate Chip Clif bars in my pantry. It is the one power bar/energy bar that I feel like I am eating candy (which is sorta true) and enjoy chowing down on.

Azul
06-03-10, 22:54
Hard Boiled Eggs,Beef Jerky/Pemmican, Nuts

NCPatrolAR
06-05-10, 12:17
Is Slim Fast or the equiv filling at least? I don't want to be hungry 5 minutes later. That would suck.

I'm usually good for about 2-3 hours

Outlander Systems
06-05-10, 14:08
Clif bars are the heat. I'm partial to the carrot cake and macadamia nut varieties. There's also the Clif Builder's bars, which have 20 grams of protein, and don't taste like xanthan gum and cardboard covered in chocolate. The mint ones very much taste like Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies.

The Builder's bars have (approximately) 270 calories, 20 grams of protein, 8 grams of fat, 310mg of sodium, approximately 20% of your daily vitamin requirements, and are the tastiest protein bar I've ever tried.

Peanut Butter Bar:

INGREDIENTS: Soy Protein Isolate, Beet Juice Concentrate, Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Palm Kernel Oil, Dry Roasted Peanuts, Organic Rolled Oats, Organic Soy Protein Concentrate, Cocoa, Vegetable Glycerin, Peanut Flour, Rice Starch, Chicory Extract, Cocoa Butter, Salt, Organic Milled Flaxseed, Organic Oat Fiber, Soy Lecithin, Organic Sunflower Oil.

06-06-10, 00:48
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up buying a few different Clif Bars to try out. :cool:

Dos Cylindros
06-06-10, 09:44
Protien bars and the like (I favor Cliff) are great for mid morning, and mid afternoon snacks, but along with shakes are hardly good "meal replacement" alternatives. When you consider that the average Cliff bar has "about" 260 calories, and the average protien shake has roughly the same. That is not enough calories for an entire meal. Hear is my daily summary. Breakfast: 1 cup oatmeal with a pinch of brown sugar (350 calories if you use water and not milk), mid morning snack: Cliff bar (260 calories), Lunch: Sliced Turkey/Chicken sandwich with fat free miracle whip, and baby spinach leavs, on true whole grain bread, a side of triscuits and a peice of fruit (about 650 to 700 calories), mid afternoon: Cliff bar (260 calories), Dinner: lean meat, veggies and whole grain of some type (roughly 650 to 700 calories). Total calories: 2270. My base metobolic rate at 6'0", 180 lbs is about 2600 calories (including what I expend during the week working out). I vary my calorie intake depending on what I want to do with my weight.

This gives me a high protien, high fiber diet with no BS addatives and I successfully used this formula to go from an all time high of 291 lbs to my current weight of 180 lbs. Ran my first marathon last year and have never looked back. I know from experience that choices are limmited when you work graves, but suitable alternatives can be found even at fast food places if you don't want the trouble of packing you food to work.

COLT6933
06-14-10, 18:07
I like the taste of Cliff bars but I got away from them because of the soy protien in them. My go to meal replacement bar is METRX meal replacement bar both the peanut butter and Choc. chip cookie dough ones are good. They are about 380cal with 28gr of quality protien. My only issue is the amount of sugar.

WillBrink
06-15-10, 08:52
Night owls know what I am talking about. It's either fast food or junk food at the local watering hole on duty.
I'd rather have a meal replacement (shake or whatever) for my meals at work instead of a heart clogging burger until I can get home and eat a nice meal. When I say nice, I mean healthy.
Can anyone recommend a "healthy" meal replacement shake? I would like to keep the carbs down as well.

LEOs best friend = personal sized cooler. Pack with healthy foods.

Short of that, bring blender to work, make your own MRP:

two scoops whey isolate (I prefer CFM isolates), one cup water, half cup of favorite juice, handful of frozen mixed berries, and one tablespoon of flax oil or Udo's Choice oil, blended in the old blender. This MRP has approximately 370 calories, 36 grams of protein,23 grams of carbs, and 15 grams of fat (or 40% calories from protein,24% calories from carbs, and 36% calories as fat), making it a high protein, moderate fat, low carb MRP.

Short of that, there's a ton of MRPs that are all pretty decent, like LeanBody by Labrada Nutrition, etc.

Other then post workout, real food is best.

WillBrink
06-15-10, 09:05
For meal replacement, I use the Wal-Mart version of Slim Fast.

You would be far better off with a container of chocolate milk and a multi vitamin. Slimfast is pure garbage, I can only imagine the Wal-Mart version. Second ingredient is sugar, as in table sugar (sucrose)

"Whey Protein Isolate (Milk), Sugar, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Gum Arabic, Maltodextrin, Cellulose Gel, Soy Fiber, Buttermilk Powder, Potassium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Dextrose, Salt, Guar Gum, Soybean Lecithin, Artificial Flavor...."

The list of chemicals and general crap continues...

If you want something already mixed, at least do yourself the favor of using something like Labrada RTDs:

http://labrada.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LeanBody_RTD

I'd still recommend food over the above, but it's way better then any Slimfast product.

karandom
06-15-10, 15:18
I use myoplex powder for my meal replacement. 42g grams of protein are a definite plus. Just make sure you have a shaker bottle so you can get rid of the chunks.

Check out the nutrition facts to see if it suits your needs.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/eas/myoplexnew.html

mildot
06-15-10, 19:47
I'd like to give these a try? Where is a good place to pick them up at a decent price?

perna
06-16-10, 04:16
Clif bars are sold at most grocery stores, walmart type places. At Walmart they are in the pharmacy section, not where the food is. I really like the chocolate peanut crunch bars, not a fan of the chunky peanut butter and I love peanut butter.

mildot
06-17-10, 06:55
Well I dropped by Sam's club and grabbed a box.For breakfast its GTG, they taste great and aren't too filling. Thanks for the "heads up" troops!!
Cheers

HuntingTime
06-26-10, 23:33
I am big on Muscle Milk. I only drink chocolate. It is great if you mix in some coffee and some natural chocolate powder.