PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Galco?

Sry0fcr
06-02-10, 17:03
I've seen a little bit of hate and snide remarks about their holsters. Is this unfounded or is their gear subpar? I'm about to drop coin on one of their belts (SB3) so inquiring minds want to know.

Belmont31R
06-02-10, 17:17
IMO they use thin, and cheap leather for the price they are wanting.

Buck
06-02-10, 17:45
Galco make a good product; however, for the $$$ they charge, there are better crafted options available... Was there a specific style of holster that you were interested in???

B

Vinh
06-02-10, 18:58
I've got nothing against Galco leather, but the kydex holster is less than ideal. I like how cheap and readily available they are (nearly disposable), and I've been using one for my interim M&P9, but the sight track ends early, so the front sight ends up punching a hole through the kydex.
http://www.rawbrilliance.com/images/galco_kydex/IMG_1085.jpg
(Yes, I know loops are better. Temporary solution until I settle on a platform.)

Sry0fcr
06-02-10, 20:16
Galco make a good product; however, for the $$$ they charge, there are better crafted options available... Was there a specific style of holster that you were interested in???

B

I was going to order a belt, I have a Raven but the side snap scabbard was an interesting option for easy on/off for less than $80 bucks and no 3+month wait.

ST911
06-03-10, 17:05
What others said. Mass produced gear, overpriced for quality of material and construction. There are better options for the same or a reasonable amount more. This is true for some offerings more than others.

Spiffums
06-03-10, 17:30
For an off the shelf, come in all sizes/models they are great to carry your firearm......... till your real holster comes in.

I have a few handguns that I carry seldom. My P220 and 1911 go in a Summer Comfort/Special whatever they call it. The P220 one fits and rides great. The one for 1911 is waste of money. It does nothing but drags out the rough side leather.

WillBrink
06-03-10, 17:37
I've seen a little bit of hate and snide remarks about their holsters. Is this unfounded or is their gear subpar? I'm about to drop coin on one of their belts (SB3) so inquiring minds want to know.

Personally, have sort of a love/hate with them. I have purchased a number of custom holsters from well known names, and yet, the Galco belt slide:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=861&CatalogID=4

Is my go to CCW holster as it's by far the most comfortable and easy to conceal for me. Yet, it's thin leather and not worth $100 they charge. Should be half that price.

Actually ended up selling a number of expensive higher end holsters 'cause none wear as well as the darn Galco.

David Thomas
06-04-10, 11:29
IMO they use thin, and cheap leather for the price they are wanting.

The Galco leather holsters will collapse in short order. No where near the quality of of 5-Shot or Sparks.

ST911
06-04-10, 16:32
Galco not only produces holsters in volume, but has also been known to produce a good quantity of cease-and-desist and similar nastygrams for its critics and the venues hosting them. :D

jsebens
06-04-10, 17:34
The best comparison I've heard is that Galco is the Blackhawk of leather. Stuff's ok/good, not great, and they price as if it were great.

Failure2Stop
06-04-10, 18:22
The best comparison I've heard is that Galco is the Blackhawk of leather. Stuff's ok/good, not great, and they price as if it were great.

Ha, I've made that comparison as well.

Anyway, since the question was about their belts:

I have owned 2 of their leather belts, with no complaints.
However, I have since turned to Wilderness belts, since they are thinner, stiffer, and cheaper.

padwan
06-04-10, 19:17
I had one of their 1.5" leather belts. It held up ok for the first year but it did not age well. I retired it after that.

On the other hand, I was able to buy some unused belts from a garage sale. One was from Ted Blocker and the other from Ernie Hill. They have been ok and the finish wear is more patina than OMG-who-put-my-belt-in-the-washing-machine.

The Wilderness belts are great. I tried the 5-stitch version as well as the one with a kydex insert between the nylon layers. The 5-stitch is far more comfortable and is rigid enough to carry a lot of stuff. At the time, it supported a Gov't Model in a Kramer IWB, 3 spare magazines, a Sure Fire D2 and an ASP 21" baton.

keysersoze
06-04-10, 20:21
For a production holster I go with BladeTech instead of Galco, and from my experience Galco holsters don't conceal that well (their OWB's don't hug the body as well as my other holster do)

keysersoze
06-04-10, 20:46
Also forgot to add that I've been using a Liger belt for EDC and range time, and its pretty good. Looks ok whether you're wearing jeans, cargos, or slacks :)

jhs1969
06-05-10, 02:02
Ha, I've made that comparison as well.

Anyway, since the question was about their belts:

I have owned 2 of their leather belts, with no complaints.
However, I have since turned to Wilderness belts, since they are thinner, stiffer, and cheaper.

I'll second this. Once I went with wilderness belts I've totally ditched my leather belts (actually never purchased any more leather to match my aging waistline:confused:)

As for their holsters, there OK but better can be had. IMO, there holsters are way too tight and need extreme massaging/break in.

RD62
06-05-10, 14:56
I've only had one IWB leather holster from them for my 1911.

I wore it VERY often and never had a problem with it. I have never purchased another holster from them though, and tend to prefer Safariland holsters.

I do have one of their leather belts though. A black one. I have had it for several years and I wear it alot. No problems there either. I probably may have been able to get a nicer one from someone else, but it was in stock local and I was able to try it on, etc before purchase. The area where I normally buckle it is not as stiff as when I first purchased it due to wear, but is reinforced by the buckle when worn so it's not a problem.

I still wear the belt and would buy another.

-RD62

keysersoze
06-05-10, 19:32
Once Galco product I will recommend is their Ankle Glove, very comfy. If you can't find the scratch for an Alessi (they're pricey but well worth the wait and the price, these things are damn near perfect), their budget friendly ankle holster could be a good compromise.