PDA

View Full Version : Stippling Glock Slide

Joeywhat
06-02-10, 18:15
I want to stipple my Glock slide. Basically do what the 1911 and hi-power guys do to their frames...but on my slide.

The problem I'm seeing right now is that the Glock slide is much harder then typical 1911 frames. I just tried it with an auto punch (seemingly good quality one) and it barely left a mark and rounded the punch.

Anyways, what is a good material for the punch to be made of for this to work? I figure I can make up a punch if I have to, unless you need some form of high dollar material to effectively texture the metal.

Any input on this?

John_Wayne777
06-02-10, 21:20
The tenifer process used by Glock is a metal treatment that leaves the surface of the treated steel with some rather high rating on the Rockwell hardness scale....and by "rather high" I'm talking within striking distance of diamond. I've seen Glock slides crack, but offhand I can't ever remember seeing one dent, which is essentially what you are trying to accomplish.

...which begs the question of why, exactly, you are trying to accomplish this. What exactly are you hoping to get out of taking a punch to your Glock?

Whatever it is, I'm sure we can come up with a satisfactory alternative that doesn't involve wailing on it with a hammer and punch.

wicked_police
06-02-10, 21:37
Sometimes an hammer and punch are the only way to achieve the desired results.

But I agree. The Glock slide usually doesn't need any hammer action.

wake.joe
06-02-10, 21:39
Not QUITE the same idea...

But if you wanted something very clean, I would put the slide in a mill, and mill out a very shallow "box", and stick some grip-tape inside the box, so it's flush with the outer portion of the slide. :)

Alien
06-02-10, 21:47
Uhh I'm pretty sure you're going to need to machine any serrations, stippling, checkering you want to do. Something tells me that wailing away on a slide to alter the surface is a good way to warp or crack the slide.

Joeywhat
06-02-10, 21:55
People do it to all sorts of metal framed handguns, I don't see why a Glock slide would handle it any worse then those.

The idea is to be able to get a better grip on the slide. And because I'm bored...and when I'm bored hammers come out.

I did already try to punch the slide with an auto punch and it did leave a dent, although almost no metal was displaced and it ruined the punch.

I figured after the tennifer it would be pretty hard. Also wasn't sure if there were other materials out there that would have the desired effect.

Milling the serrations off is certainly a solution, although I just like a more permanent option then grip tape.

If there is no viable solutiont to stippling it then I'll look into a more permanent way to affix grip tape. What sort of adhesives will put a VERY strong bond between the tape and slide? I'm talking 'never coming off for ever and ever' type stuff.

willowofwisp
06-02-10, 22:01
People do it to all sorts of metal framed handguns, I don't see why a Glock slide would handle it any worse then those.

The idea is to be able to get a better grip on the slide. And because I'm bored...and when I'm bored hammers come out.

I did already try to punch the slide with an auto punch and it did leave a dent, although almost no metal was displaced and it ruined the punch.

I figured after the tennifer it would be pretty hard. Also wasn't sure if there were other materials out there that would have the desired effect.

Milling the serrations off is certainly a solution, although I just like a more permanent option then grip tape.

If there is no viable solutiont to stippling it then I'll look into a more permanent way to affix grip tape. What sort of adhesives will put a VERY strong bond between the tape and slide? I'm talking 'never coming off for ever and ever' type stuff.

Hmm you could try gorilla glue? if i was looking for an adhesive for grip tape i would want something that doesn't weaken when its heated...nothing comes to mind right now but I am sure i could find something.

Have you looked into hand checkering? i think i would be nice to get like 20 LPI checkering on a glock slide.

wake.joe
06-02-10, 22:03
Skateboard grip tape is already extremely adhesive.

But no matter what adhesive you add, you are still going to have an exposed edge on the grip tape. It will wear out over time no matter what.

On a skateboard, though, you use a file along the edge of the grip tape when you install it. Helps make a "lower profile" and remove "Traction" to prevent pealing.

bkb0000
06-02-10, 22:08
i'd just use the adhesive on the tape.. as stated, it's pretty mean stuff. make sure to wipe the weapon down in some kind of stripper.. acetone, lacquer thinner.

glues or epoxies and the like can be a lot stronger, but they won't bond to the slide finish. maybe taper the edges of the tape, like joe describes for skatie boards.

Joeywhat
06-02-10, 22:11
Checkering sounds good too but probably hard to cut into the slide unless it's milled completely flat to the rear...something I could try either way.

Of course all of this would be moot if I could just find a Glock slide that was completely flat on all slides, with no serrations at all. Short of a custom one-off that seems to be unobtainable right now, though.

tobasco
06-02-10, 22:13
id only do that if i plan on keeping the glock slide forever. you never know, might change your mind sometime in the future. :p

willowofwisp
06-02-10, 22:18
Checkering sounds good too but probably hard to cut into the slide unless it's milled completely flat to the rear...something I could try either way.

Of course all of this would be moot if I could just find a Glock slide that was completely flat on all slides, with no serrations at all. Short of a custom one-off that seems to be unobtainable right now, though.

I think the only way to get a completely flat glock slide would be to break into the georgia or austria plant lol..if your gonna go that route grab me one too!

The next choice like you said would be to completely remill a stock slide...but i think that would weaken the metal and if there was any weak spots in there before they would really show their ugly face.

I am sure you already talked to doug about any other options?

nfranco
06-02-10, 22:20
How about modifying a replacement slide?
Something like one of the Lone Wolf ones.
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1175&CAT=247

Assy Mcgee
06-03-10, 00:56
i would never do anything that intentionally compromised the teniffer protection of the metal on my glock slide.

bkb0000
06-03-10, 02:35
i would never do anything that intentionally compromised the teniffer protection of the metal on my glock slide.

.why?

Magic_Salad0892
06-03-10, 03:08
I wouldn't do it either, I like knowing my slide is on par with the harndness of diamonds.

Also doing anything to make the slide thinner sounds like a stupid idea to me.

Assy Mcgee
06-03-10, 03:42
.why?

the teniffer treatment is why glocks are so rust resistant.

John_Wayne777
06-03-10, 06:59

Most of those are probably not treated with the tenifer process. I don't know what grade of steel Glock uses to make their slides or the engineering implications of trying to dimple through the tenifered surface.

I've seen people put skateboard/step/safety tape to good use for that purpose. A few carefully cut strips placed in the flats of the slide serrations can add a good bit of traction. When you properly degrease the tape should stay in place well. It's also cheap, relatively easy, and doesn't risk doing any damage to your gun.

Nothing will accomplish that...but the grip tape mod does last a long time. In my experience when I've put grip tape on the metal parts of guns I have to replace it once a year or so.

You may wish to consider calling up one of the companies that makes aftermarket Glock slides and seeing if they can produce a slide for you that fills your requirements.

Jay870
06-03-10, 07:25

You really don't want "never coming off" for a grip tape anyway. If you're shooting it with any regularlity the grip tape is going to loose its bite as the grit is worn down and worn off. I'm only using grip tape in a few spots on my pistol but have to replace it every 2-3 months

Joeywhat
06-03-10, 09:06
Lone Wolf WILL mill the side serrations flat for me but that's something I can do myself.

adrenaline151
06-03-10, 17:56
I have a strip of grip tape across the top of the slide, from the sight to the breech face, to help with one handed manipulations on clothing or a holster. Are you having trouble racking the slide? Seems like just denting the slide wouldn't really make it that much more "grabby", you'd have to remove quite a bit of material, or add some. The tape works ok, but tears up holsters, clothing, and skin, if it comes into contact with them. And it doesn't last forever, but it is pretty rugged.
Maybe you need one of these:
http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/FCH1_full.jpg