PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Light Weight "Pencil" Barrel

Fluke
06-02-10, 20:40
Is anyone producing a stainless "pencil" contour barrel yet?

C4IGrant
06-02-10, 20:48
Is anyone producing a stainless "pencil" contour barrel yet?

These are not a good idea, so no one makes them.

C4

Fluke
06-02-10, 21:29
Could you elaborate please?

Which of the current 16" midlength stainless barrels are the lightest these days?

500grains
06-02-10, 22:03
As I understand it, SS is superior for accuracy but not as heat resistant as chrome lined, and thus will wear out sooner. A pencil barrel heats up pretty quickly, so guys who take a carbine course with a pencil SS barrel would probably need to rebarrel as soon as they get home.

hitman1012
06-02-10, 22:06
Noveske makes one. I would not call it a pencil barrel but it is a light weight stainless barrel. They are on their rifle called the Rogue Hunter. Might want to ask them what the contour is. I have one and it is nice.

Fluke
06-02-10, 23:19
This would be for a predator rifle so no problems with heat at all. I just want something light, well made, and stainless.

I'll go look at the Noveske, thanks!

WWhunter
06-03-10, 08:10
May not be as light as you want but I just recieved one of the Lilja-Nordic SS barrels and have the gun assembled but haven't fired it yet. $289 from Nordic.
shop.nordiccomp.com/Lilja-Nordic-AR-Rifle-Barrel-Stainless-16-BBL-223-16M-LN.htm
Barrel is made by Dan Lilja....a guy well known for accurate barrels.
WW

YVK
06-03-10, 08:34
Definition of pencil nonwithstanding, I have a lightweight 1:8
Noveske SS bbl on one of my uppers that still shoots .75 MOA after two classes and 2500 rounds. I believe it was a special run.

C4IGrant
06-03-10, 09:55
Could you elaborate please?

Which of the current 16" midlength stainless barrels are the lightest these days?

Barrel warping is the issue and is why you aren't going to find anything lighter than a GOVT Profile (or some variation close to that).

C4

Fluke
06-03-10, 10:16
That Lilja-Nordic looks good. I just wish it was lighter out front and had a tighter chamber than the Wylde.

Fluke
06-03-10, 10:17
Barrel warping is the issue and is why you aren't going to find anything lighter than a GOVT Profile (or some variation close to that).

C4

Grant, could you weigh one of your stripped BCM 16" SS410 barrels for me? Do you have a reamer print (or numbers) of the reamer used on these?

C4IGrant
06-03-10, 10:19
Grant, could you weigh one of your stripped BCM 16" SS410 barrels for me? Do you have a reamer print (or numbers) of the reamer used on these?

I do not have any stripped barrels to weigh, but can gurantee that it is a Govt profile + in weight.

The chamber print is proprietary.

C4

C4IGrant
06-03-10, 10:20
That Lilja-Nordic looks good. I just wish it was lighter out front and had a tighter chamber than the Wylde.

Wylde chamber is a good all around one. If you want a .223 chamber, just buy a RRA SS barrel and have ADCO or someone turn it down to your specs.

C4

Fluke
06-03-10, 10:52
The chamber print is proprietary.

C4

The Lilja-Nordic and BCM SS410 look similar in profile and weight with a slight advantage going to the Lilja-Nordic.

But how would you compare the chambers of these? Would the "proprietary" chamber of the SS410 be a little tighter or looser than the Wylde? I would like a tighter neck and less freebore between the two.

As for the RRA I would rather not have a barrel turned down and want a little more quality for this project.

C4IGrant
06-03-10, 13:41
The Lilja-Nordic and BCM SS410 look similar in profile and weight with a slight advantage going to the Lilja-Nordic.

But how would you compare the chambers of these? Would the "proprietary" chamber of the SS410 be a little tighter or looser than the Wylde? I would like a tighter neck and less freebore between the two.

As for the RRA I would rather not have a barrel turned down and want a little more quality for this project.

The BCM barrel is made for combat so it going to mimic a 556 NATO chamber.

You can contact PAC-NOR and they will build a barrel with your chamber and dims.

C4

archad
06-03-10, 16:03
Nordic/Wilson barrel I recently built a middy rifle using one of these barrels I wanted something a lighter than my Noveske Afghan. For $185 it is a accurate barrel. I bead blasted the barrel and dimpled it for the gas block.
http://fototime.com/62F60221DA1F67A/standard.jpg
http://fototime.com/FB5673ED90E8D6D/standard.jpg

Fluke
06-03-10, 18:37
That's a bargain. Let us know how it shoots.

TehLlama
06-03-10, 19:42
I'm assuming that its' one downside is 1:9 twist?

For competition, with match 55gr, 62gr, or 69gr it would be pretty impressive.

Beyond that, the needs for a SS barrel or a lightweight are pretty counterindicative: If you need a few tack driven shots, it can work, but a high end CL barrel turned down would be more than adequate for most uses, and where more precision is required a lighter profile doesn't make the most sense.

[ETA] I guess in addition to competition, a small predator hunt would be somewhere else these would shine - I stand corrected.

Fluke
06-03-10, 19:54
There is a niche market in the hunting world where the AR-15 platform really shines and that is predator hunting. The predator AR-15 has/requires many different attributes from other AR-15 uses. A light weight, precision made stainless barrel, with a short throated 223 chamber, or better yet, in 20 Practical, is ideal for the bullets we use to take coyotes. My current predator rifle has a Douglas match grade 20" barrel chambered in .223 by CLE. It is a 1-12" twist with a short throat so I can reach the lands with the 40 Vmax or Nosler BT and still have the cartridge fit into the magazine. These 40 gr loads shoot into one ragged hole at 100 yards pushing 3800 fps. They drop a coyote dead, period, and shoot very flat out to 300 yards.

The predator hunter likes his AR-15s light as there is a lot of "humping the gun" invloved. Hence my desire for a light weight 16" midlength stainless barrel. My current rifle is .625 under the handguard and is pretty light. But I would like to have a 16" version for in and out of the truck more easily. I could go custom again but was hoping to compromise with an off the shelf solution.

Fluke
06-03-10, 20:02
Here's a photo of my current coyote getter with some new furniture on it. Maybe I should just get the barrel cut to 18" and stick a fork in it.......

http://home.comcast.net/~wb323/images/CLE_2.jpg

dway
06-03-10, 20:23
Have you seen this one (http://global-tactical.com/16inchmidlengthreconbarrel556mminstock.aspx) from Global-Tactical? It's listed as 4 oz heavier than a standard M4 barrel.

Fluke
06-03-10, 21:09
Thanks for the link. This one looks similar to the BCM SS410 and Nordic versions. I may end up trying one of the above slightly heavier versions just to play with it and see what it can do. I am leaning towards the Lilja-Nordic.

TWR
06-03-10, 22:49
Being a coyote hunter myself, I looked real hard at Noveske's Rogue Hunter. The complete upper weighs 4# which is probably less than my Colt pencil barrels with LaRue rails. Instead I wound up buying back a 17" RECCE upper I sold a couple years ago.

Now while I have the 17" RECCE and an 18" SPR (Kreiger and Noveske SS barrels) for longer shots if needed, the Colt chrome lined pencil barreled uppers I use are plenty accurate for called coyotes. Can't see the need for 1/4" accuracy when 50 yard shots are my average, though they do 1MOA which is plenty good enough out as far as I want to shoot them.

But still, the Rogue Hunter intrigues me. Maybe if they start selling just the barrel in 223, I'll replace one of my Colts.

archad
06-03-10, 22:55
[QUOTE=TehLlama;673079]I'm assuming that its' one downside is 1:9 twist?
It is a 1/8" twist

Fluke
06-03-10, 23:31
TWR, I actually have a couple of new Colt 1-12" pencil barrels. Their throats are super long and I wonder how well they would shoot with the 40s. Maybe I could just cut one of those down to around 18". The shots out here in the west can be on the long end of the spectrum so I do like an accurate rifle. But I agree the accuracy I am getting from my current rifle isn't absolutely necessary. And these Colt barrels are super light.

Has anyone seen a good photo showing the Noveske Rogue Hunter contour?

TWR
06-04-10, 07:25
I had a 20" 1/12 pencil barrel once, it shot okay.

My 16's are 1/7 and I shoot 50-77 grs for coyotes, the 40's are a little light for me. In fact I'm really liking the 77SMK's especially for contest hunts. Running around 2700fps, you don't get many runners.