PDA

View Full Version : Vice versus...well...versus.

jaydoc1
06-02-10, 22:54
First off I am in no way trying to be the grammar police. Second, I hate to even post this since I'm really trying not to clutter the GD forum in the spirit of keeping it free of BS but I'm very curious about the adoption of the word Vice instead of the proper word Versus when comparing two things. The reason I even bring it up on this website is because this is where I see it used, well all the time. I've never seen it anyplace else other than Costa saying it in the Magpul DVD's.

An example of what I'm referring to is the following:

Running an AR-15 with a mid-length gas system VERSUS running one with a carbine-length one. (This is the proper usage).

OR

Running an AR-15 with a mid-length gas system VICE running one with a carbine-length one. (This is not the proper usage).

Did this grammatical error sprout from the Magpul Dynamics DVDs or has it come from elsewhere? This is asked out of curiosity not in an attempt to point out errors in other people's grammar. I'm simply wondering how this turn of phrase has erroneously become mainstream in this particular population subset?

It most likely comes from an attempt to shorten the phrase vice versa but, unfortunately that really doesn't apply when comparing two items/situations/etc...

The phrase vice versa means "The reverse of the previous statement with the main items transposed".

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/vice-versa.html

Vice means the following in American English:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vice

Versus means the following in American English:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/versus

Now I'm sure I'll get all sorts of justifications posted telling me how the word Vice can be used in place of the word Versus but, unfortunately, those justifications will be wrong. I'm not trying to stir up shit here but words mean things and the correct usage will get you much farther in terms of people listening to you like you know what you're talking about than improper use will.

Please enlighten me as to where/how this improper turn of phrase has become prevalent in the AR/Firearm world.

[Flame-Retardant suit on]

Zhurdan
06-03-10, 08:39
Dude, Costa says it. Isn't that enough for you? :D

Bad grammar used to bug the crap out of me because my wife was an English major and I was constantly being corrected. Now, not so much versus before.

I'd guess it's just a bastardization (shortened version) of vise versa, even though that wouldn't be a correct usage most of the time as you pointed out in the definition of vise versa. Often, I hear vice followed by a description where it shouldn't be needed if it is indeed just a shortened version of vise versa.

Like many other words, it's just becoming socially acceptable... similar to irregardless. Now that one bugs me still!

Either way, it is distracting to the message when someone incorrectly uses a word or phrase, and can limit the conveyance of the point of the message.

austinN4
06-03-10, 10:16
Like many other words, it's just becoming socially acceptable... similar to irregardless. Now that one bugs me still!
My favorite is reoccurring instead of the correct recurring. Egad, I just ran reoccurring thru my spell check and it accepted it! The world is doomed.

Wait-------- I put reoccurring in Google and it referred back to recurring. Maybe there is still hope?

chadbag
06-03-10, 11:48
I thought "vice" was sex, drugs, and rock and roll...

I guess I am behind the times.

SHIVAN
06-03-10, 12:25
Vice means the following in American English:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vice

You need to look at definition #3 in your link.

William B.
06-03-10, 14:12
I haven't seen it on here, but "over-exaggerate" really bugs me.

jklaughrey
06-03-10, 14:16
My wife teaches high school English. I can't get away with nothing. I usually used poor English just to piss her off when she gets on that soap box about her students and we are doomed because of their poor grammar.

Zhurdan
06-03-10, 14:22
My wife teaches high school English. I can't get away with nothing. I usually used poor English just to piss her off when she gets on that soap box about her students and we are doomed because of their poor grammar.

I can't get away with anything..... ;):D

ChicagoTex
06-03-10, 14:32
Costa says it. Isn't that enough for you?

The one that Costa (and Haley) says the most that drives me nuts is "Ambidextrious". There's something in the back of my head that always goes "That word isn't pronounced, or spelled, like you think it is.".

But I generally suck it up and get over it because the Magpul D boys have a lot more useful information to teach myself and others. Plus, to the best of my knowledge, neither of them have ever claimed to be experts in the finer points of the English language.

jklaughrey
06-03-10, 14:44
I was hoping somebody would catch that. My wife will surely see it and scold me LOL.

JSantoro
06-03-10, 15:54
"Vice" as used to denote the phrase "...instead of..." has been bouncing around the military well before anybody from Magpul were using it. Where do you think THEY picked up? You can find it in quite a few books by W.E.B. Griffin, for example. Like all of us that use a certain jargon or patois, we do so as a reault of cultural osmosis and exposure. No different than DoD/corporate buzz-words/-phrases like "value-added," and "transformational." Common usage alters language over time, too, because language is a metaphorical living thing.

Spoken grammar, it's got to be pretty bad for me to notice, much less correct, from a dialect standpoint alone (caveat: if you have graduated college and still say "axe" instead of "ask," I'm gonna find a way to sterilize you. Pet peeves, lol...). I save that for people I hate, because screw 'em, that's why!

I, like many, sometimes ask a question that ends in a preposition, without thinking about it. Reaction to whomever absolutely HAS to point it out depends on that person; rank, not so much. 8 times out of 10, I simply add the noun "a**hole" or similar after the preposition, because I'm nothing if not cooperative and sensitive to the needs of others. :)

Written...that's another story, entirely. You have time to correctly frame a responce, so correct spelling and grammar are something I was brought up to expect, not reward. Real world, all that really means is that it's a mental hangnail that gets a *tsk* from me and a sub-vocal curse about idiots and public schooling, in most cases. Unless I'm red-penning the submission in question, then it's Game On.

jaydoc1
06-03-10, 17:00
You need to look at definition #3 in your link.

Aha! Okay, that explains it and answers my question. I hadn't actually clicked on the links in that box at the top. Thanks.

Main Entry: 3vice
Pronunciation: \ˈvīs also ˈvī-sē\
Function: preposition
Etymology: Latin, abl. of vicis change, alternation, stead — more at week
Date: 1770

: in the place of <I will preside, vice the absent chairman>; also : rather than