PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Life of a Colt 6920

wedgemo
06-02-10, 23:02
Hi I was wondering,what is the Barrel life of a Colt 6920? That would be only shooting semi-auto. How many rounds before barrel replacement?

m4fun
06-02-10, 23:19
Real M4 - I believe advertised for 10,000 rounds but SOCOM found that it only lasts for 6,000(I am sure under diverse and FA conditions).

Might be a life-time depending on how you use it.

they
06-03-10, 00:31
well... around 400 rds dumping full auto... tens of thousands slow fire... anywhere in between for in between. When you notice your groups open up... replace barrel...

That said... there is a school of thought to replace the entire upper (including b/bc/etc) every 10k rds or so... if you just replace the bbl you can have problems with other components... kindof takes the guesswork out of it.

Besides, 10k rounds is around 4-5k... an upper is a drop in the bucket ;)

CAVDOC
06-03-10, 09:02
for general civilian use with reasonable accuracy a lot more than people think. I have non chromed barrels that still gave 2-3 moa accuracy after 20k+ rounds. and these were middle of the road barrels not anything fancy or expensive.
certainly if you want the best possible accuracy you MAY see groups open up after a few thousand, but unless you are shooting 600 yards at camp perry you probably won't notice enough difference to matter.

markm
06-03-10, 09:25
Really depends on how hard you run it. I have barrels with WAY more than 10k through them. They still headspace fine and shoot very good groups.

Skyyr
06-03-10, 09:26
That said... there is a school of thought to replace the entire upper (including b/bc/etc) every 10k rds or so... if you just replace the bbl you can have problems with other components... kindof takes the guesswork out of it.

Every 10k rounds? Ummm... most quality barrels will go 15,000-20,000+ rounds before their groups truly "open up," and that's only bullet stabilization. There's no need whatsoever to replace your entire upper every 10k rounds. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind throwing out the bolt carrier, upper receiver, and railed handguards simply for the purpose of preemptive maintenance.

Also, 10k rounds is $3,000-4,000, not $5,000. With a quality, free-floated stainless upper (BCM, Noveske, Larue) potentially costing ~$1,000 or MORE, that's not a "drop in the bucket" - that's 25% of the cost of the ammo you shot.

To the OP:
There are many threads on this subject and it's a question I once asked myself. Under "normal" use (60 rounds every 15 minutes or so) and good cleaning, a QUALITY barrel should last you ~15,000 rounds, give or take. If you fire at a slower rate than that, then the barrel life increases even more, potentially 20,000-25,000+. Some barrels have lasted 30,000 (BCM, Noveske) to 50,000 (Larue) round counts. Conversely, you can destroy a barrel in 6 magazines (180 rounds) or less doing quick mag dumps (shooting an entire magazine, reloading, and repeating as quickly as possible). It's ALL about the rate of fire, how long it has to cool down before being used again, and how well it's cleaned.

Core781
01-21-17, 11:34
well... around 400 rds dumping full auto... tens of thousands slow fire... anywhere in between for in between. When you notice your groups open up... replace barrel...

Besides, 10k rounds is around 4-5k... an upper is a drop in the bucket ;)

You can keep your FSP, BC, upper, charging handle, forward assist, and dust cover.

Inspect and decarbon upper (froglube). Replace barrel, gas tube, gas tube pin, bolt assembly, and gas key. Reinstall gas key, restake gas key properly on BC, replace FSP/gas block, gas tube and pin. Inspect firing pin reuse or discard. Recommend replacing cam pin if worn out of spec and use a fresh firing pin stop pin.

Check the bolt chamber with bore gauges. Go, no go.

Lube it liberally, don't forget to lube the pins and springs with a liquid lube if using froglube paste. Froglube extreme is liquid.

No need to replace upper, BC, or FSP, forward assist, dust cover, A2 sights etc.

CPM
01-21-17, 13:49
Jesus there is a lot of fail in this thread. OP, just shoot until it becomes inaccurate. If you have to ask these questions, chances are you'll never out shoot it.(Not being a dick, it's just the truth.)

Also, repeated full auto doesn't fry a barrel. I have spent many an afternoon expending ammunition that we didn't want to take back to the unit and account for on burst, as fast as I could pull the trigger. Many times that meant everything on my rig, plus a cargo pocket or two of full magazines. That's like 8-9 mags. Printed just fine afterwards. For years.

Evel Baldgui
01-21-17, 14:13
Jesus there is a lot of fail in this thread. OP, just shoot until it becomes inaccurate. If you have to ask these questions, chances are you'll never out shoot it.(Not being a dick, it's just the truth.)

Also, repeated full auto doesn't fry a barrel. I have spent many an afternoon expending ammunition that we didn't want to take back to the unit and account for on burst, as fast as I could pull the trigger. Many times that meant everything on my rig, plus a cargo pocket or two of full magazines. That's like 8-9 mags. Printed just fine afterwards. For years.
Good to know !

markm
01-21-17, 14:35
Also, repeated full auto doesn't fry a barrel.

Accelerated rate of fire most certainly increases throat erosion. There was a test done on a Colt AR years back where the author shot 10k rounds nearly non stop, and roasted the barrel. I mean keyholing badly, etc.

I shot a piece of shit Bushy M4 barrel over 30k at reasonable rates and although the leade was getting silly long, the barrel's accuracy was still acceptable with no keyholing.

Hero
01-21-17, 15:31
Wow that's quite a thread resurrection!

DirectTo
01-21-17, 15:44
I have spent many an afternoon expending ammunition that we didn't want to take back to the unit and account for on burst, as fast as I could pull the trigger. Many times that meant everything on my rig, plus a cargo pocket or two of full magazines. That's like 8-9 mags. For years.
That's some solid tax dollar usage there, thanks a lot!

sinlessorrow
01-21-17, 16:51
Colt barrels are good for 8,000-10,000 at which point you will see a reduction of 250fps muzzle velocity.

Robertga25
01-21-17, 17:03
One time I sent a msg to faxon and they said there barrel haves 10k to 15k barrel life and I know you are asking about the colt barrel but justs to put it out there you have about the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk