PDA

View Full Version : Oxpho-Blue

bkb0000
06-03-10, 05:51
anybody use it? what have you used it on, and what's your thoughts? is this a touch-up product, or can a guy use it for a total refinish on grandaddy's rusty ol' '94?

gracias

bkb0000
06-04-10, 10:13
back to the top...

jklaughrey
06-04-10, 10:30
I know my father has used it to reblue some of his firearms. He has been doing his own "smithing" since he was a LEO way back in the late 60's. I know it works well just don't know what he does per se. I usually ship off anything I need blued to him I don't have nearly the set up shop he does. I know it works pretty well though.

bkb0000
06-05-10, 14:37
I was going to let you know that I have used Oxpho-Blue to completely refinish a couple of guns. One was a double-barrel 12 ga. shotgun and the other was a .22 LR single shot bolt action rifle.

After the metal has been polished and degreased, I used #0000 steel wool in long strokes the entire length of the barrel to apply the Oxpho-Blue and used as many coats as it took to get the finish even. I keep rubbing it in until it doesn't look blotchy anymore. It will take some patience, I am a perfectionist and one spot never did get to "perfect," no matter how long I applied the cold blue and rubbed it in. Other people couldn't see it unless I pointed to it, but I couldn't stop seeing it.

The Win. 94 action area will be the part that may look the worst, the metal used can require extra heat even in the hot bluing process. I'm not sure how cold bluing will look, as I have never done a 94 that way.

Good luck, and the metal preparation, especially the degreasing, must be done as perfectly as possible. If it turns out crappy and you want to get it re-blued with the hot bluing process it will require extra metal prep to get rid of all of the cold bluing before it can be hot blued again.

I got the degreaser from Brownells, check their stuff out and maybe even call them for technical advice on how to use their Oxpho-Blue for your project.

Rob
DTHN2LGS

thanks for the PM, Rob.