PDA

View Full Version : Better Cell Phone Plans?

Skyyr
06-03-10, 11:06
The other thread about AT&T's data plans got me thinking...

I'm trying to cut back unnecessary costs and the cell phones just seem to be... overly expensive.

My wife and I currently have AT&T service. We have Blackberry phones (got them for free with our contracts), but no data plan. We have 1,400 anytime minutes, unlimited texting, free nights and weekends, nationwide coverage (no roaming charges), and free mobile-to-mobile with AT&T subscribers.

Our current bill is just at (almost exactly) $130 a month after a ~$15/month discount with my wife's work. We typically don't use the 1,400 minutes and actually have something like 6,000 rollover minutes.

The next plan a step "down" is 700 anytime minutes, but for $20 less a month. However, we're using just over 700 minutes per month and the potential charges of going over would negate any savings, so that's a no-go. The unlimited texting is $30 a month and the next step "down" is 1,500 messages for $15. This is the only cost I think that could be reduced on our plan.

That said, even after the potential $15 less, $115 seems...still expensive. Are there any other carriers that offer the same options and coverage with, say, 1,000 anytime minutes and ~1,500 text messages?

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned at the ripe old age of 26, but I can remember when cell plans were 49.99 all-inclusive with 1,000 minutes a month. Now it seems they want to nickle and dime you for everythin. I mean, let's face it, that extra $30 is another 100 rounds of .223 a month ;)