PDA

View Full Version : Plate Carrier Recommendations for LE?

neo9710
06-03-10, 18:11
Ok -

Ive looked through the loadouts and there doesnt seem to be too many (toward LE) so I decided to put a post up. Also, needs might have changed.

I am looking for a light weight Plate Carrier to don over my uniform and vest. I am probably going to be purchasing the MSA Paraclete 10x13 Level III or the AMI (not sure yet - still deciding) stand alone plates. I am looking for a lightweight carrier and will have at least the following mounted to it:

3 PMags (.223)
Olight Flashlight
Department radio (Motorola XTS3000)
Maxpedition First Aid Kit
Some sort of utility pouch

Other things are on my duty belt (cuffs, asp, etc). Weve had active shooter situations in the area before and it not a matter of if it is going to happen again but when. I am not a big person (5'9 180 lbs) and I dont want to be extremely weighed down. Ive been looking at the Tactical Taylor Low Profile Armor Carrier and some Eagle Stuff. Also any recommendations of Pouches (So far I also like the tactical Taylor pouches - the radio pouch seems to be a little difficult to find due to its size). And I dont want the magazines catching on door frames or anything becuase they arent flat against me..

Failure2Stop
06-03-10, 23:11
I have used a few different plate carriers.
I am not LE, but I am trying to tailor my reply to your stated need.

For a super-simple PC, the Paraclete http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-2655/HPV019H/Detail.bok is my favorite. No bells or whistles, and built to take a beating. Easy on, with enough room for a few mags and a bleeder kit on the front without impeding access to the belt.

My buddy just picked up the Diamondback FAPC Gen II http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/product/Diamondback-Tactical-Fast-Attack-Plate-Carrier-Gen-II,34,6.htm , and I really like it. It's more comfortable than just about anything that doesn't have an internal cummerbund, and the shoulder straps make for really fast cinching up if you wear a variety of outer-garment thicknesses. I have not worn it for extended periods of time, but nothing about it gave me worry. The kangaroo pouch is useful since DBT offers pouches that slide into it, so one could easily have two mags with retention inside the kangaroo pouch, a speed reload pouch over it, and a bleeder kit on the other side while maintaining a relatively low profile. It's as fast to don as anything else.

I have not made any recommendations that have a cummerbund since they take longer to don, though they provide more gear carriage and the option for more armor. If that's what you want (not that I would recommend it for your application) there are other options.

As far as pouches go, on a PC (and really, for most other applications as well) I prefer single mag pouches. Lower profile, less weight on the front (=less front droop), more flexibility. As far as specific pouches go, there are lots of options depending on retention preference, space, and budget. I recommend taking a look at Grey Group's ammo pouch section to get an idea of what you want and prices. I recommend them because they have a wide selection from proven companies.

gunnut284
06-04-10, 07:19
I have a Blackwater PC that I use as an active shooter setup. It's just a basic PC with a buckle on each side and works well. One side stays buckled, I can have it on and be ready in under 30 sec. I just have 4 AR mags on it and a small utility pouch. I need to add a small med kit but don't want too much stuff on it. My radio stays on my duty belt so I don't need a radio pouch.

CENTCOM_Survivor
06-04-10, 07:40
Check out the new P.I.G. plate carrier over at SKD. I have the pre-production one, which is pretty close to the Eagle LE carrier. I run four HSGI "TACO" mag pouches. http://www.skdtac.com/PIG_Plate_Carrier_p/pig.502.htm

neo9710
06-04-10, 11:37
Thanks all. I will post up my setup as soon as I get it.

deuce9166
06-04-10, 20:43
I had a first generation DBT and it was well made, but I like the Eagle PC better IF you get the HSGI shoulder pads. Like FTS said dont get a cumberbund for your application it will take to long to put on and could interfere with you gear on your belt. As for a vendor SKD is great to deal with.

I have gotten some mag pouches from US Grunt Gear and they seem very well made. Can not comment on range time with them yet, but they have some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with.

jsebens
06-04-10, 22:48
Something to consider; wearing a PC over a concealable vest greatly reduces (or eliminates) the need for padding on the shoulder straps or plates. Pads that might be near-necessities for a soldier or armed citizen become excess bulk for you.

I keep a Paraclete SOHPC up front in the cruiser with me; I know a few officers who use the DBT FAPC. Either's good stuff.

neo9710
06-05-10, 10:28
Thanks guys. Basically I am at ground zero where the highest probability of an active shooter situation so id probably hear the shots before the radio run comes out. So speed is of the essence. I am also contemplating the side plates. I kind of have been getting the run arund from a couple of places tobuy plates which I'm not too happy about..but oh well.

My dept is half assing this whole active shooter ordeal. They are all doing the minimum they have to. We've already had a couple of situations where by luck wasn't a lot worse than it was. A small percentage of us are taking it seriously. Due to my enviorment, my needs are probably a little different than a street officer (I'm in a office and street) so a bug out bag is definitely going to be a necessity. My next step is going to be breaching tools (what and how to carry them). The one thing I do have onmy side is that I have a ton of other local agenices who are within arms reach and even monitor our radio zone. The area I'm in..can allow an active shooter to basically dig in and it would take a coordianted effort to get to. Not to mention the possibilitty of "the distraught employee" situation..

NCPatrolAR
06-05-10, 12:13
I use the Paraclete HPC at work. I've gone through several other carriers and found this one is the best for me. I have 2 Eagle M4 pouches, 1 Eagle 40mm pouch, and a HSGI Bleeder pouch on it and it works out well for me.

Keep in mind that the key to AS response is speed. Some guys kit up like they are wading into downtown Beruit and are significantly slower and more apt to fatigue

Question; why would you be putting your radio on the carrier? If you normally have it on your belt; I'd keep it there.

neo9710
06-05-10, 12:30
I use the Paraclete HPC at work. I've gone through several other carriers and found this one is the best for me. I have 2 Eagle M4 pouches, 1 Eagle 40mm pouch, and a HSGI Bleeder pouch on it and it works out well for me.

Keep in mind that the key to AS response is speed. Some guys kit up like they are wading into downtown Beruit and are significantly slower and more apt to fatigue

Question; why would you be putting your radio on the carrier? If you normally have it on your belt; I'd keep it there.

Exactly - Im not looking to way myself down - I've always gone by this.."Less is better." Also, when people put on all that extra stuff, it just makes them not just lower but a bigger target.

I don't wear my duty belt while in the office. I do have all my pistol mags , handcuffs, less than lethal, on my regular belt. So if something happens, I just don on the vest and go (not gonna have time to take off belt, take off holsters etc.) Also, I want the speaker close to my ear so I dont have to have it on full blast for the whole world to hear. I am not a big fan of earplugs because I dont want to limit my hearing. When Im on street patrol - the radio will be on my duty belt.

NCPatrolAR
06-05-10, 12:54
I don't wear my duty belt while in the office. I do have all my pistol mags , handcuffs, less than lethal, on my regular belt. So if something happens, I just don on the vest and go (not gonna have time to take off belt, take off holsters etc.) Also, I want the speaker close to my ear so I dont have to have it on full blast for the whole world to hear. I am not a big fan of earplugs because I dont want to limit my hearing. When Im on street patrol - the radio will be on my duty belt.

The belt clip for your radio should clip over the side straps of the HPC with no issue. We use the same radios here so I can confirm later this evening. Do you use a shoulder mic also?

neo9710
06-05-10, 13:10
The belt clip for your radio should clip over the side straps of the HPC with no issue. We use the same radios here so I can confirm later this evening. Do you use a shoulder mic also?

I stopped wearing it when I became the head field training sergeant because I wanted to teach the new guys how to monitor the radio and not be dependent on a mic. Do you have a pic of your setup?

neo9710
06-05-10, 13:34
Oops double post

NCPatrolAR
06-05-10, 14:53
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Brachialstun/DSC01962.jpg

Klear Above
06-07-10, 09:15
Very nice simple no frills, no bullshit setup you have there NCPatrolAR. For the LEO role, the basic plate carrier is hard to beat, it is easy to grab, store, and will have enough real estate for your basic Active Shooter (or equivalent) load. Once again, nice setup.

NCPatrolAR
06-07-10, 11:08
Very nice simple no frills, no bullshit setup you have there NCPatrolAR. For the LEO role, the basic plate carrier is hard to beat, it is easy to grab, store, and will have enough real estate for your basic Active Shooter (or equivalent) load. Once again, nice setup.

Appreciate it. It took me several years to get to that setup and I'm pretty happy with it. The HPC was never on my radar until I was in the shop one day and Matt pointed it out to me. Works great and brought me back into the Paraclete camp (along with some other things)

Velcro
06-07-10, 11:35
I would second this recommendation, but the big thing is that since you are already (or should be) wearing soft armor, how ever you run a plate carrier is going to depend on budget. Even here, I see guys just wearing a PC and no soft armor...they were designed to work together...although you can get stand alone plates, the BFT (blunt force trauma) is greatly decreased with the combination of soft and hard armor.

also, unless your department mandates certain limitations...I would run more than (3) AR mags, if your primary is a AR...just because!

Velcro

I
Check out the new P.I.G. plate carrier over at SKD. I have the pre-production one, which is pretty close to the Eagle LE carrier. I run four HSGI "TACO" mag pouches. http://www.skdtac.com/PIG_Plate_Carrier_p/pig.502.htm

NCPatrolAR
06-07-10, 12:58
I don't see an issue with 3 spare mags on the carrier. Additional mags, if wanted, might best be carried in something like the BFG 6 pack or something similar.

Velcro
06-07-10, 13:01
was not trying to make it an issue, it was my opinion only, and this conversation has been on another thread, but if you are having to dawn a plate carrier, you are probably going up or feel like you may be going up against something more than a pistol...

...again, my opinion.

Velcro

kmrtnsn
06-07-10, 13:12
NCPatrolAR,

I carry both an SG and an M4 in the car. Sometimes I need the SG but having been looking for an ammo storage solution that does not require both an M4 mag pouch and a pouch for 12GA ammo too. Your mag pouch inserts, for lack of a better word, like like just the solution. Where did you find them?

Thanks,

Ken

NCPatrolAR
06-07-10, 13:24
NCPatrolAR,

I carry both an SG and an M4 in the car. Sometimes I need the SG but having been looking for an ammo storage solution that does not require both an M4 mag pouch and a pouch for 12GA ammo too. Your mag pouch inserts, for lack of a better word, like like just the solution. Where did you find them?

Thanks,

Ken

Those are the Esstac shotgun cards. You can get them at SKD Tactical (http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac_Shotgun_Card_p/ess.106.htm)

kmrtnsn
06-07-10, 13:58
Thanks!!

neo9710
06-07-10, 17:51
I would second this recommendation, but the big thing is that since you are already (or should be) wearing soft armor, how ever you run a plate carrier is going to depend on budget. Even here, I see guys just wearing a PC and no soft armor...they were designed to work together...although you can get stand alone plates, the BFT (blunt force trauma) is greatly decreased with the combination of soft and hard armor.

also, unless your department mandates certain limitations...I would run more than (3) AR mags, if your primary is a AR...just because!

Velcro

I

yeah..i will definitely be wearing soft armor underneath my PC. Im still trying to lock down which plates to get also! LOL! Still bending towards the MSA Paraclete Plates..The AMI's are a little out of my budget..

Klear Above
06-08-10, 09:01
We have been selling the MSA Paraclete 10x12 Level 4 Stand Alone (http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-2606/TC4C-dsh-2092-dsh-LG/Detail.bok) for years...but there is some newness that you guys need to know about. We have a new plate from Velocity that is a 10x12 Level 4 Stand Alone in a swimmer cut (also known as a shooter cut) (http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-3497/Velocity-Lvl4-Stand-Alone/Detail.bok). The best news about this plate is the price: $350.00! I am telling the truth, it is a better cut of plate and less money. The only draw back is that it is so new that not many people know about it. We have been going through these plates locally at the Pro Shop like meth on a street corner in Lacey Washington. Alright, back to being serious, stats and pic below:

Threat level: IV
Type: Stand-Alone
NIJ Certified: Yes, 0101.04/ 2005 Interim Requirements
Composition: Ceramic
Shape: Shooters Cut
Thinness: 75 inches
Size and Weight: 10in x 12in 6.8 Lbs.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab25/greygroupcommunity/KIT/VelocityLvl4StandAlonePlate_1.jpg (http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-3497/Velocity-Lvl4-Stand-Alone/Detail.bok)

neo9710
06-08-10, 15:39
Hmm..It looks like most of you dont have side plates? Only reason I was thinking about getting them is becuase usually I am bladed (partially sideways) when I am walking down a hall with a rifle which leaves my side exposed..

BC520
06-08-10, 15:56
Why are you bladed? You want to shoot and move squared up in order to maximize your protection. Bladed can be used for distance shots when you have time and are trying for marksmanship, not speed, movement, and the ability to deliver rapid shots to close quarter targets.

neo9710
06-08-10, 20:38
Why are you bladed? You want to shoot and move squared up in order to maximize your protection. Bladed can be used for distance shots when you have time and are trying for marksmanship, not speed, movement, and the ability to deliver rapid shots to close quarter targets.

Im not completely bladed but even at the range I blade a little and get my rounds off in one motion..But hmm...something to ponder.

HAs anyone tried London Bridge stuff for patrol?

gumby223
06-09-10, 06:22
For active shooter type responses, I prefer a load bearing vest and not a plate carrier. I need to take pics of mine and post them...

NCPatrolAR
06-09-10, 09:10
To speed up donning of the HPC; I always keep the support side strap in place. That enables me to simply throw it on and worry about only attaching a single strap.

Bobkatt50
06-09-10, 18:28
I just got a dbt gen II fast attack plate carrier. I got the utility zipper attachment to turn the front pouch into a zipper compartment. I'm currenlty running three 5.11 mag pouches up front loaded with three pmags as well as two extra pmags in the front pouch. Got a rip away med pouch around back with supplies. Seems to be working out well. Sets up high enough that its doesn't interfere with items on my duty belt.

11B101ABN
06-11-10, 01:56
In regards to the equipment: are you in uniform or in plain clothes?

neo9710
06-11-10, 08:11
In regards to the equipment: are you in uniform or in plain clothes?

Im in full uniform but when Im in the office, I just wear my regular belt with a administrative holster, handcuff case, double mag holster, and asp. When I hit the streets, I wear my full sam brown belt.

Failure2Stop
06-11-10, 13:55
To speed up donning of the HPC; I always keep the support side strap in place. That enables me to simply throw it on and worry about only attaching a single strap.

I do the same with all side-entry armor.

Roy
06-16-10, 22:16
i Run a DBT plate carrier with cumberbun. I leave the left side done up and just have to attach the right side when i don . I i have 3 M4 mags on it. one in a Eagle FB and two in a paraclete double. I also have a Med kit, Gp pouch and pistol mags on it. I keep flex cuffs stuffed in the spare webbing on the back