PDA

View Full Version : Sealant on Various Ammo

BushmasterFanBoy
05-23-07, 22:06
I'd like to know the different sealants used in different surplus and commercial ammunition. It's pretty easy to determine if an ammo type has primer sealant. Just look. Most ammo that I've seen has a red sealant around the primer, or in the case of Guatemalan ammo, a green sealant. Or if there is no ring of color around the primer, like with UMC, the primer has no sealant.

Here is where I have some questions. How do you know if your ammo has a bullet sealant as well? I don't think there is a way short of pulling the bullet, is there?

I've been wondering about my Federal AE and my Guatemalan surplus and whether or not the rounds have any bullet sealant in addition to the plainly visible primer sealant? I know my IMI .223 from wideners two years ago should, but I haven't seen anything about AE or Guat. surplus, not to mention a myriad of other brands. (I've looked at TOS about this as well, no luck)

Could someone be kind enough to compile a good list of the sealants on commercial and military surplus ammo?:confused:

AMMOTECH
05-24-07, 11:05
Military info:
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2003smallarms/hawk.ppt

BushmasterFanBoy
05-27-07, 08:19
I just found a source for PMC's Bronze ammo. Does anyone know if it is sealed?:confused: