PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17, IWB and summer clothing

jeffmoline
06-03-10, 19:48
Hey everyone,

I have a question for the full size pistol people and their holster and clothing preference for CCW in the summer months. I have a Glock 17 carried in a Crossbreed super-tuck IWB holster. Any suggestions on concealment garments?

SeriousStudent
06-03-10, 20:00
Look up about three inches..... ;) Fernando makes good stuff.

http://www.eotac.com/discreet-clothing/discreet-shirts

Where do you live? Florida or Alaska?

How much do you want to spend? What kind of work do you do? Is "printing" an inconvenience, or risking being shot?

More info helps us help you.

And stay safe this summer. It will be 102 here Saturday.

Striker5
06-03-10, 20:09
I wear my Glock 17 in a MS Summer Special II. I conceal it w/ untucked hawaiian type shirts, or dark, loose t-shirts. I look for something dark toned, loose, w/ some sort of pattern.

Don Robison
06-03-10, 20:14
I carry a G21 AIWB year round down here in FL. For three years I used a Highnoon Hideaway and switched over to a Dale Fricke Archangel about three months ago. Typical clothing for me is jeans or shorts and a T-shirt.

JHC
06-03-10, 20:20
Go to REI or similiar and load up on those light fabric, pocket heavy "fishing shirts" as I've heard them called. Good looking. Designed to untucked wear.

CyberM4
06-03-10, 20:21
For my HK45. I use a Comp Tac Paddle. I wear a Tank Top with a light leather vest. I've also used any button shirt over the tank top unbuttoned. Down here in FLA.

skyugo
06-03-10, 20:23
a glock 26 and a holster may cost you less than all new shirts. something to consider. :o
even in a relatively tight t-shirt it looks more like a cell phone printing than a gun.

jeffmoline
06-03-10, 20:31
Serious: I live in SE Washington State where the temps can get to 110 in the summer. Normal joe CCW but I want to keep printing to a min (even with the G17). I'm willing to spend up to 100 for one or two shirts.

JHC
06-03-10, 20:50
a glock 26 and a holster may cost you less than all new shirts. something to consider. :o
even in a relatively tight t-shirt it looks more like a cell phone printing than a gun.

Nice. LOL I didn't think of that!

Dunderway
06-03-10, 22:09
Serious: I live in SE Washington State where the temps can get to 110 in the summer. Normal joe CCW but I want to keep printing to a min (even with the G17). I'm willing to spend up to 100 for one or two shirts.

Don't take this as a joke, but check out some Latin men's stores (online if you don't have them in your area). Untucked, short sleaved shirts are very polular in hot regions outside of the U.S. I have a couple "Mexican taxi driver" shirts, and they keep you very cool while offering great coverage. These were in style at one time in the U.S., and are coming back; I get nothing but compliments from females when I'm wearing mine.

Just a cheap alternative to consider. Tommy Bahama's stays in business by marking these things up 150%.

Don Robison
06-03-10, 22:16
Don't take this as a joke, but check out some Latin men's stores (online if you don't have them in your area). Untucked, short sleaved shirts are very polular in hot regions outside of the U.S. I have a couple "Mexican taxi driver" shirts, and they keep you very cool while offering great coverage. These were in style at one time in the U.S., and are coming back; I get nothing but compliments from females when I'm wearing mine.

Just a cheap alternative to consider. Tommy Bahama's stays in business by marking these things up 150%.

They are called "guayabera".
Not being a smartass; it's just easier to google that than "mexican taxi driver shirt":D

Dunderway
06-03-10, 22:34
They are called "guayabera".
Not being a smartass; it's just easier to google that than "mexican taxi driver shirt":D

Thanks. I've always had a hard time finding out if there was an actual name for that style of shirt. The taxi driver thing just stuck, since it seems to be standard wear for that occupation south of the border.

HK45
06-04-10, 00:38
Look up about three inches..... ;) Fernando makes good stuff.

http://www.eotac.com/discreet-clothing/discreet-shirts

Where do you live? Florida or Alaska?

How much do you want to spend? What kind of work do you do? Is "printing" an inconvenience, or risking being shot?

More info helps us help you.

And stay safe this summer. It will be 102 here Saturday.

Is that all? 110 in Phoenix this weekend.

SeriousStudent
06-04-10, 23:14
I do like Phoenix a lot. But since I'm not a baked potato, I do not live there in the summer.

Just a personal preference.

And on the shirts, I've had some good luck with buying Dickey's work shirts, and sewing a stainless steel washer in the bottom hem so they "sweep" well during a presentation.

Mjolnir
06-05-10, 11:21
Hey everyone,

I have a question for the full size pistol people and their holster and clothing preference for CCW in the summer months. I have a Glock 17 carried in a Crossbreed super-tuck IWB holster. Any suggestions on concealment garments?
It's easy. I'm 5'10" and weigh an athletic 187 lbs. I'm in South Louisiana so it's not only hot but extremely humid as well.

Leather or Kydex IWB holster.

T-shirt tucked in and a short sleeve buttoned shirt that I keep open. Usually, the shirt has some kind of print, pattern in the fabric or both to break up any shadows the pistol may print from time to time. Access is remarkably quick. With leather IWB holsters you have more retention but keep in mind the leather absorbs moisture so the pistol must come out of the leather prior to storing.