PDA

View Full Version : Glock 45? FNP 45?

neo9710
06-03-10, 21:35
:rolleyes::rolleyes:Yeah Yeah..

Who here owns a FNP-45? I'm in the market (more like a hole burning in my pocket) for a new handgun. I currently own a Glock 17, 26 (both about 12 years old), and a H&K .45. Friend of mine said that he loves his FNP .45 and it is solid as a rock. I put my guns through a lot and they need to take a beating. It's not my service weapon but I practice a LOT (rain or shine). This would probably be my new bedside weapon. I intend to do some 3-gun but Ill probably use my Glock 17..

I was thinking about one of the Glocks G21 or G30. I dont think any Gen IV .45's are coming out soon...

Business_Casual
06-03-10, 21:36
Both are ergonomically inferior to the M&P 45, IMO.

B_C

99HMC4
06-03-10, 21:45
And the M&P 45 is inferior to the HK45. :p
I like the FN. I also liked my HK45....:D

whiterabbit05
06-03-10, 21:45
^Have you held and used all three?

neo9710
06-03-10, 21:48
^Have you held and used all three?

Im going to go look at the FNP tomorrow...Just trying to get a consensus..

Dunderway
06-03-10, 21:51
From what most knowledgeable individuals have expressed, I cannot imagine either being more durable or shootable than your HK45. I would either spend the money on more ammo for your current (excellent) handguns, or spend it modifying them to suit you (grip treatements, etc.). Why throw another platform into the mix?

99HMC4
06-03-10, 22:09
Cause it was a joke that someone brought up before I did. The HK45 is a great gun. The OP asked about a Glcok and FN, I said go for the FN....

neo9710
06-03-10, 22:19
From what most knowledgeable individuals have expressed, I cannot imagine either being more durable or shootable than your HK45. I would either spend the money on more ammo for your current (excellent) handguns, or spend it modifying them to suit you (grip treatements, etc.). Why throw another platform into the mix?

I do want to have someone work on the trigger - not too happy with it. Why throw another one into the mix???:rolleyes: Honestly..Dunno..Like trying out new things..

Dunderway
06-03-10, 22:48
I do want to have someone work on the trigger - not too happy with it. Why throw another one into the mix???:rolleyes: Honestly..Dunno..Like trying out new things..

Buying guns/trying new things is fine. You just have some very well though of guns, and might not find anything better. At a certain point I decided to just buy reputable arms and stick with them, instead of constantly trying to adapt to something "better" or newer.

Do some searches for Larry Vickers' thoughts on the HK45 and see what mods he recommends. I honestly just think that there is a good probability that you will buy a G21 or FN45 and still end up going back to square one with your HK45.

If you are truly demanding of your firearms, I don't think that anyone here will tell you that a G21 or FN45 are more robust or even comparable in reliability to your HK45. I could be wrong.

loupav
06-03-10, 23:05
I agree with everyone here, you have some excellent weapons as it is. But I know where you're coming from, sometimes I feel the itch fore a NEW gun. If I were you, I'd go for the FN.

But now a days, I'd rather take another pistol class over another gun.

oef24
06-03-10, 23:17
I own and have fired all of the above mentioned. I can't pick a favorite out of all of them. The FNP-45 Tactical with 8.0 MOA Trijicon RMR is the newest one and it is awesome. It does not have the "feel" of the HK45 but if the HK held 15 in the mag, it wouldn't feel that good either.
I say you buy all of them. If $ is an issue and you can only buy one, go with the Glock 21 and spend the extra $300-$500 on extra mags, ammo, holster(s) and/or training.

O

whiterabbit05
06-03-10, 23:18
Im going to go look at the FNP tomorrow...Just trying to get a consensus..

Sorry, my question was directed towards "Business Casual."

skyugo
06-04-10, 01:08
i prefer glocks in 9 and 10mm, but the 45 ones seem to have a decent rep too. If glock is what you shoot well, then get the glock.

i'd say the best 45's currently on the market are probably the HK45's and M&P 45. The FNP may be up there too, but i don't know enough about it to say... i know it's a bitch to get parts for FN rifles... anyone know the situation on their handguns?

Business_Casual
06-04-10, 06:09
Sorry, my question was directed towards "Business Casual."

Yes. Owned a G21, owned an M&P 45. Shot the FN courtesy of the FN rep at a Larry Vickers Advanced Class.

Would you care for any more bona fides?

B_C

John_Wayne777
06-04-10, 07:37

I can appreciate that, but...

At some point you have to ask yourself a question:

What am I trying to accomplish? If your goal is to own as many different handguns as possible, rock on. If, however, your goal is to build skill with a handgun then you are never going to achieve it with your current course of action.

Objectively speaking the HK45 is one of, if not the, best polymer .45 ACP handguns on the market. It will do anything you can reasonably expect a handgun to do. Instead of buying new guns, learn to shoot it. I know for a fact that it can be shot very well by somebody who knows what they are doing...so strive to be one of the dudes who knows what he is doing.

One of the besetting sins of gun boards is that they are often full of people talking hardware as if it's the hardware that makes all the difference in performance. "Dude! I just bought this new XXXX pistol and now I can actually put bullets on paper instead of all over the range! It's the most awesomest handgun ever!" Six months later, you see another post of "Dude! I just bought the Deathray 9000 and my performance is SOOO much better than with the XXXX!! It's the bestest pistol ever!!!" It would be comical if it wasn't so damn sad. It may sound weird, then, to hear somebody telling you to stop buying guns and work on upgrading your software instead, but I assure you that it's the only way you will build any useful skill. If buying guns really did make you any better, Dave Sevigny wouldn't show his face at a match because I would utterly humiliate him. It just don't work like that.

You already have a good pistol. Buy ammo. Go train with competent people who can teach you how to run that gun effectively. It is cheaper and, trust me on this, far more satisfying in the long run than buying a new gun.

gtmtnbiker98
06-04-10, 09:24
If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, why not consider the HK45c if you must have a new firearm? At least the manual of arms would be consistent with your current HK45.

You've already got the arguably best .45 ACP on the market, why buy something else? As JW mentioned, take a class, buy some ammo, enjoy what you already possess.

jasonhgross
06-04-10, 11:20
The bore axis on the FNP45 is WAY too high, causing too much felt recoil. As before, stick with what you got and make that work.

jwfuhrman
06-04-10, 11:30
while never having owned a HK45 or FN45, I own a G21SF and have shot alot thru the M&P45. If I didnt have a G21sf for carry and a G34 for Competition, Id be going the M&P route. While I love my G21sf, the M&P just fits my hands so much better.

whiterabbit05
06-04-10, 11:31
The bore axis on the FNP45 is WAY too high, causing too much felt recoil. As before, stick with what you got and make that work.

Many actually report less than expected felt recoil with the FNP45.

CyberM4
06-04-10, 15:39
Stay with what you have. Unless of coarse you want different brand of 45s for your collection.

bulldawg64
06-04-10, 16:09
I have an FNP 45 and love it. At least since the feed problems were solved. Had to send it back for repair 2 times. Last time it looked like a new barrel was in it. No marks from previous firing/sliding. Shoots like a dream now.

neo9710
06-04-10, 16:11
I can appreciate that, but...

At some point you have to ask yourself a question:

What am I trying to accomplish? If your goal is to own as many different handguns as possible, rock on. If, however, your goal is to build skill with a handgun then you are never going to achieve it with your current course of action.

Objectively speaking the HK45 is one of, if not the, best polymer .45 ACP handguns on the market. It will do anything you can reasonably expect a handgun to do. Instead of buying new guns, learn to shoot it. I know for a fact that it can be shot very well by somebody who knows what they are doing...so strive to be one of the dudes who knows what he is doing.

One of the besetting sins of gun boards is that they are often full of people talking hardware as if it's the hardware that makes all the difference in performance. "Dude! I just bought this new XXXX pistol and now I can actually put bullets on paper instead of all over the range! It's the most awesomest handgun ever!" Six months later, you see another post of "Dude! I just bought the Deathray 9000 and my performance is SOOO much better than with the XXXX!! It's the bestest pistol ever!!!" It would be comical if it wasn't so damn sad. It may sound weird, then, to hear somebody telling you to stop buying guns and work on upgrading your software instead, but I assure you that it's the only way you will build any useful skill. If buying guns really did make you any better, Dave Sevigny wouldn't show his face at a match because I would utterly humiliate him. It just don't work like that.

You already have a good pistol. Buy ammo. Go train with competent people who can teach you how to run that gun effectively. It is cheaper and, trust me on this, far more satisfying in the long run than buying a new gun.

You are correct. Ive had my USP for quite some time now and I definitely have gone out of my way to become proficent with its use. I am one one the lucky ones being a LEO and have access to several different ranges. I do plan to take some additional courses that are being offered around but having a 8 month old is kind of tough. Im also planning to attend some of the 3 gun matches in the area. I am not one of these people who need the newest and greatest but..sometimes..I just get the itch:D It happens!

bulldawg64
06-04-10, 16:31
Many actually report less than expected felt recoil with the FNP45.

I would agree with that.

opmike
06-04-10, 19:23
You are correct. Ive had my USP for quite some time now and I definitely have gone out of my way to become proficent with its use.

There seems to be some confusion here. Confirm that you have an H&K USP45 and not an H&K HK45, correct?

I believe some users were under the assumption you had an HK45.

neo9710
06-04-10, 19:42
There seems to be some confusion here. Confirm that you have an H&K USP45 and not an H&K HK45, correct?

I believe some users were under the assumption you had an HK45.

Then that is my fault. I have a two tone H&K USP .45 (not tactical).

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/USP%2045%20SS.jpg

CyberM4
06-04-10, 21:37
You have a USP 45 in SS. Why not buy the HK45 or HK45C? Have you looked at those two?

sL1m
06-05-10, 05:32
I would definitely take a look at the HK45. Great gun, it's pretty much an improved USP .45 with better ergos, ie. mag release, ambi controls, etc. It's a tackdriver as well as well as being probably most reliable combat .45 out there.

This thread might help point you in the right direction...
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=76683&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

neo9710
06-05-10, 07:23
You have a USP 45 in SS. Why not buy the HK45 or HK45C? Have you looked at those two?

I would definitely take a look at the HK45. Great gun, it's pretty much an improved USP .45 with better ergos, ie. mag release, ambi controls, etc. It's a tackdriver as well as well as being probably most reliable combat .45 out there.

This thread might help point you in the right direction...
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=76683&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

I havent looked at them yet...Always good to take a look!

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-05-10, 11:45
Although I feel that the HK45 is the "go to" modern combat 45, Ken Hackathorn said some very nice things about the FN pistol (in terms of its durability and shoot-ability). To me, they are sort of the same gun. Big ass combat autoloaders of little use to civilians other than as dedicated home-defense/SHTF pistols. I think the HK45 compact is preferable to just about any .45 on the market. It is basically, Glock 19 sized and carries 9 shots of 230 whole grain goodness. If I were going to have one gun, and it was a .45 I would carry the HK45c.

DocGKR
06-05-10, 12:38
"I currently own a Glock 17, 26 (both about 12 years old), and a H&K .45."

It all comes down to what you want the pistol to accomplish. How about getting a G19 to go with your G17 & G26?

If you want another .45 pistol to carry, then the HK45c might be a good route, as would the M&P45 midsize--the FN45, G21sf, and HK45 are all nice pistols, but many folks find them a bit big for daily CCW. Again, it depends on what you want to do with it...

bulldawg64
06-05-10, 15:47
It all comes down to what you want the pistol to accomplish. How about getting a G19 to go with your G17 & G26?

If you want another .45 pistol to carry, then the HK45c might be a good route, as would the M&P45 midsize--the FN45, G21sf, and HK45 are all nice pistols, but many folks find them a bit big for daily CCW. Again, it depends on what you want to do with it...

And what holster you use to carry it......:cool:

bulldawg64
06-05-10, 19:08
You looking for IWB or OWB?

If IWB is what you want, check this site. The SuperTuck is great.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

neo9710
06-05-10, 20:14

Very true. Unfortunately, my Dept does not allow me to carry anything off duty other than the Glock 26. The use will probably be SHTF, home defense, tactical shooting (3 gun stuff), etc. I find the USP a little bulky..

gtmtnbiker98
06-05-10, 20:43
Very true. Unfortunately, my Dept does not allow me to carry anything off duty other than the Glock 26. The use will probably be SHTF, home defense, tactical shooting (3 gun stuff), etc. I find the USP a little bulky..For the intended purpose, HD, SHTF, 3-gun, then your USP45 is just as good as the G21, FN et al. Learn to shoot what you have! Why buy another just to have something a little different? If anything, G21 gets the nod for consistent manual of arms.

Pappabear
06-06-10, 01:24
FNP is a fine gun. Good trigger , low felt recoil. Shot my today in the desert. Its a big boy.

pofboom
06-06-10, 15:51
I currently own and FNP 45 Tactical and I love that gun. It is smooth in cycling and holds 15 rounds. I believe the Glock 21 holds less. I like the finish and the grip angle with multiple backstraps. I would say go with the FNP45 because of the grip, grip angle (1911 style), low felt recoil and large ammo capacity. I am not a fan of Glock because of the grip angle; it is too angled for my taste.

DasBulk
06-06-10, 16:44
I agree with the majority. Learn your USP. My USP is my home/fun/hunting gun. What Doc said isn't a bad idea either.
I carry a Glock 19 and love it. Some people, like myself had issues switching back and forth from low bore axis Glocks and high bore .45s.
Nothing that cant be overcome with training but still something clearly noticeable when shooting both in the same day.
I have an affinity for Glocks and their low bore axis and have found that adding some muzzle weight to the USP in the form of a light rail and light, it becomes much more comparable to my Glock. Those 230g +P HSTs are little more of a hand full though.
Besides, its not a carry gun, the light is a good idea.

Hell.. its not a bad idea on a carry gun if you can swing it...

williejc
06-06-10, 21:56
My FNP45 was ammo sensitive with jhps. The mag with highest capacity(because of floor plate size)was difficult to insert unless slide was locked back. My two showed this problem. Floorplate was a bit too thick. Regular mags had a hint of this. My three did. Had FN decided to build the mags to accept one less round so that all bullets including the last would load easier and so more spring was left uncompressed at the mag's bottom, they would have been less trouble to use.

The ambidextrous mag release mechanism was touchy about engaging its place on the mag in a positive manner with a full mag. Pushing the button in to lock it was occasionally required. More than once the mag dropped down.

neo9710
06-06-10, 22:05
I agree with the majority. Learn your USP. My USP is my home/fun/hunting gun. What Doc said isn't a bad idea either.
I carry a Glock 19 and love it. Some people, like myself had issues switching back and forth from low bore axis Glocks and high bore .45s.
Nothing that cant be overcome with training but still something clearly noticeable when shooting both in the same day.
I have an affinity for Glocks and their low bore axis and have found that adding some muzzle weight to the USP in the form of a light rail and light, it becomes much more comparable to my Glock. Those 230g +P HSTs are little more of a hand full though.
Besides, its not a carry gun, the light is a good idea.

Hell.. its not a bad idea on a carry gun if you can swing it...

Ive actually planned to put a light on the gun. Usually I just used my O-Light if I had to. I love both guns. I shoot the 17 more often than the USP due to work (17 is issued)..

Good info. Thanks! Id liek to shoot it with a light on it just to see how it feels. I need to read on this trigger for the USP..I havent done anything to it and I never really LOVED the way it feels..