PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased a M&P 9mm...

Deaj
06-03-10, 23:29
I've been thinking about buying a modern combat / service type pistol for quite some time now. The last such gun I owned was a 1st gen Glock 17 back in the 80's. I shot well with it but hated the trigger and wasn't very fond of the ergonomics (or lack there of for me). I kept at it for years and felt the same way about it the day I sold it. I went back to single action steel guns for a decade or more.

After carrying a Star Firestar 9mm for 15 or so years I wanted something lighter. I purchased a Kel-Tec PF-9 after shooting my brother-in-law's and finding it more than serviceable for a CCW. This turned out to be a good decision - it been reliable, comfortable to carry, and as accurate as any pistol its size. Its trigger is no prize but it's not a range gun so no matter.

The PF-9 sort of warmed me up to the idea of buying another polymer gun. After handling just about everything worth considering and shooting several of them the M&P came out the clear winner for me. For my part it has the best trigger of any of the striker fired polymer guns and certainly the best ergonomics.

I purchased a 209301 M&P 9mm, 4.25" barrel, no internal lock, no magazine safety, no thumb safety. After reading a great deal from owners online I decided that none of the additional lock / safety features would really serve any purpose for me. In this way the M&P will be everything I wish my long gone G17 had been. I got a pretty good deal I think - $465. It'll cost me about $525 after the FFL transfer and tax (WA state now charges sales tax on the purchase price of FFL transfers). This is at least $60 better than I can do anywhere in state.

Should be fun!

jhs1969
06-04-10, 00:34
I will take a guess and say most people, including myself, will disagree with you about the trigger. I think the Glock has a much better trigger than the M&P, especially the reset. Don't take that as a knock (at least a big knock) on the M&P. I've owned two M&Ps, M&P9 and M&P9c. I DO like the M&P series very much, but I like the Glock much better. I sold both M&Ps to get two more Glocks, G19 and G26, and I feel very good about my decision. If the M&Ps had as good a trigger as the Glock I may very well still have both of them. I will also say that if I could not have a Glock then the M&P would be back in my possesion. I think you have made a very good decision and I am glad it is working for you.

Good luck

Bubba FAL
06-04-10, 00:52
I must be an exception, as I very much prefer the M&P trigger over a Glock. Never could get used to the blade sticking out of the middle of a trigger (same issue with XDs and SR9s). I find it distracting. (Tho' it could just be my ADD.)

FWIW - the trigger pull on my first M&P was pretty stiff at first. After a few hundred rounds, it improved considerably. Even better now with an Apex sear.

opmike
06-04-10, 01:17
If the M&Ps had as good a trigger as the Glock I may very well still have both of them.

Giving the APEX sear a try would have been a good idea. When it comes to box stock guns, I prefer Glock triggers (especially the reset) over the M&P. With a the sear installed, the M&P's take the highest mark in my opinion. And since the part is only about 30 bucks, prices come out about the same.

maximus83
06-04-10, 01:53
Congrats on your purchase, hope it turns out to be a good gun for you.

I've owned 5 M&P pistols, currently have 4, and have been satisfied with all of them. Brand new and out of the box, a Glock trigger may be slightly preferable to an M&P due to the reset. But with the various new custom trigger options for the M&P, all of which are affordable and easy to install, there's no excuse not to set yourself up with a top-notch M&P trigger. Plus, even if you just stick with the stock M&P trigger, after it breaks in some shooters will find they prefer even the M&P stock trigger to a Glock stock trigger. I know I do.

Alien
06-04-10, 03:40
I much prefer the M&P trigger over the Glock trigger. I know some people love it, but I could never get over it, especially the little trigger in trigger safe action mechanism. I much prefer the M&P's hinged trigger. The M&P trigger is especially good with the Apex duty kit upgrade. It'll smooth out the pull, make the reset shorter, and reduce overtravel considerably.

If there is one thing you do with your M&P, it should be installing this kit. Most everybody highly recommends this fairly inexpensive upgrade. It will require you to do more than a field strip to install though, but it is very easy to do. Apex has installation videos on youtube.

Loner
06-04-10, 04:55
I much prefer the M&P trigger over the Glock trigger. I know some people love it, but I could never get over it, especially the little trigger in trigger safe action mechanism. I much prefer the M&P's hinged trigger.

+1 After a few hundred rounds the M&P trigger smoothened up but I'm spoiled on my Bowie tactical worked trigger job.

Anybody knows how a Bowie tactical tuned trigger job compares to a drop in Apex kit?

Alien
06-04-10, 05:03
+1 After a few hundred rounds the M&P trigger smoothened up but I'm spoiled on my Bowie tactical worked trigger job.

Anybody knows how a Bowie tactical tuned trigger job compares to a drop in Apex kit?

From what a member on Arfcom who's tried both said in a thread, it's supposed to a bit better. The main advantage is it has less takeup, something the Apex kit doesn't address at this time until Randy comes out with his revised trigger bar (late this year or early next year he said). He probably takes out every last bit of creep too. My Apex trigger has a tiny bit of imperceptible creep that you only notice if you very very slowly and easily try and make the trigger break. I think the only way to get rid of the infinitesimal bit of creep in my trigger would be to play with the way the striker and seer engage each other. I lightly polished every engagement surface in my gun per Burwell's guide though.

orionz06
06-04-10, 05:20
I own two M&P's and no glocks (anymore) and I think the glock has a better trigger. I prefer the M&P for reasons beyond the trigger, but if you prefer it, more power to you.

Deaj
06-04-10, 12:12
Thanks all!

I have plans to drop the Apex kit into my M&P but I'm going to put at least 500 rounds through it before making a decision on this.

ck1
06-04-10, 17:01
Avoid a headache and make sure it's got the latest design striker in it... better to get the latest more robust version before you need it rather than when.
I've had 2 M&P9's and had 4 broken strikers, they spent more time out-of-commission waiting for S&W CS to send me new strikers then they did in action.

Deaj
06-04-10, 22:48
I checked the s/n with Smith & Wesson - my M&P9 was manufactured in April, 2010 and is current spec according to S&W.

PrivateCitizen
06-04-10, 23:19
Never owned a G19 (weird huh?) but coming from the world of the P226/P228 I can say I am more than happy with the M&P.

Short if my nostalgic fondness for a CZ, the M&P + Apex kit (self installed TYVM) is an outstanding setup and I am extremely pleased.

After 500 rounds it is bliss.

I look forward to a few more in the stable.

Bubba FAL
06-05-10, 02:35
My Apex trigger has a tiny bit of imperceptible creep that you only notice if you very very slowly and easily try and make the trigger break. I think the only way to get rid of the infinitesimal bit of creep in my trigger would be to play with the way the striker and seer engage each other. I lightly polished every engagement surface in my gun per Burwell's guide though.

Yes, I noticed this creep after installing the Apex sear, but only in very deliberate slow fire. Almost like you can feel the striker block release just prior to sear break.

Not even noticeable in rapid fire use, which is the intended purpose of the M&P series pistols.

Deaj
06-08-10, 19:36
I picked up my M&P9 today and thought I'd post a couple of pics (I'm terrible with a camera - sorry):

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/m&p9-02.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/m&p9-03.jpg

Here's a pic with my M&P15T:

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/m&p's-01.jpg

Deaj
06-09-10, 16:25
While working from home this morning I have been doing some dry fire exercises to get used to the trigger. When I demo'd another shooters M&P at the range a while back I came to the conclusion that the trigger was the most usable of the striker-fired pistols for me but I didn't really observe much detail about the trigger pull, break, and reset. I thought I'd post some observations from this morning's dry firing:

Thee trigger on the M&P is really quite different from any other pistol I've tried. Regardless of what occurs before break it's the break that I really like. Without being too descriptive I find that I can keep the muzzle on target with no perceptible movement through the trigger pull and break. It doesn't feel anything like a good single action trigger (e.g. 1911) but I find the break surprises me in a similar way regardless of how predictable the rest of the trigger pull is. When the trigger is ready to break I find it breaks just a hair sooner than I think it will when squeezing it slowly and deliberately. This is just a perception though as the trigger is clearly breaking in a very consistent manner. The break could easily be described as 'crisp' when compared to, say, a Glock or XD/XDm - other striker-fired pistols seem to have a 'springy' or 'spongy' feel to the break, a trait I don't care for. The best analogy I can make to describe the difference is the difference between plucking a string on an electric bass guitar with a pick or finger. The pick gives a sudden and defined break as it leaves the string whereas plucking the string with a finger the string sort of rolls out from under the finger pad and springs away with a longer duration of hold on the string (sorry for the obscure analogy). I believe this is the trait that I liked so much when I shot the M&P.

The trigger pull is strange though not in any negative way. There are several interesting things that occur as the trigger is being squeezed from rest to where it's ready to break. First the jointed trigger hinges into place and clears the slot in the polymer frame - this is a short and nearly effortless squeeze. From here (as the trigger itself catches the rest of the fire control group?) there is an equally short, ever so slightly heavier, gritty motion rearward where it meets a definable point where resistance increases. Squeezing through this point it almost feels as though there is a detent, a smooth false 'break' of sorts that sets the trigger at the break point. Squeezing further the trigger breaks. With a slow and deliberate squeeze of the trigger it's easy to feel all of this occur. With a quick squeeze as one would use in a real-world application all of these subtleties go largely unnoticed by me other than I perceive the trigger as increasing resistance in a slightly stepped manner. This isn't bothersome in the least. No, it doesn't feel like a luxurious ride to a 'glass rod' break like my S&W 4506 in single action (some top shelf trigger work in this gun) or a similar brake without the take-up like on a good 1911 trigger, It is, however, just as serviceable. I don't feel anything in the trigger that would affect my shooting in any negative way. That I did not notice anything significant in the M&P's trigger pull while shooting one does not surprise me now.

The reset is perhaps a bit long but not overly so. I'll get a better idea of how I perceive the trigger reset after my first range visit. Actually, as I type this I cycled the M&P a few times and observed trigger reset with a bit more speed and I doubt the reset would ever bother me. Of course I'm not doing any competitive shooting (yet?) so shaving 1/10th's of a second off between shots is of no concern to me.

I may well add the Apex duty/carry action enhancement kit at some point down the road but for now I believe I'll be quite happy with the stock trigger. I'll put at least 500 rounds down range before I even consider the Apex kit. By then I'll be familiar enough with the pistol to make a practical decision regarding the Apex kit.

A few other observations:

All three of the interchangeable backstrap inserts are very comfortable in my hands. If I had to pick one that fits best it would be the medium I guess, with the large possibly being my next pick. I can raise the pistol to a target with eyes closed and then open them to find the pistol pointing where it should be regardless of which backstrap is installed so, again, any of them would be a good fit for me. This is good because I have a Crimson Trace LaserGrip on the way. If the CT ends up being somewhere between the medium and large backstrap in size (I've read this observation more than once it seems to me) it will fit me very nicely. I placed a small amount of rolled up and flattened paper right where the CT pressure switch is located and it seems like the switch is in a great place for predictable activation with a firm grip. I'll know soon enough.

I like the magazine release button position. It is easily reached and depressed with intention. I will never unintentionally depress it though because of where it is located. Perfect!

The slide release is also in an ideal location for my hands, is easily to actuate (except with an empty magazine - snap-caps used for the test at home), and very low profile. Nice!

The slide serrations provide a positive grip for cycling the slide.

The grip texturing is quite sufficient for a positive grip on the pistol, certainly enough for my part. At this point I doubt I will ever need or want to stipple mine. Time will tell.

Lastly, I really like the sight picture with the low profile Novak 3-dot sights. For this type of pistol I prefer 3-dot sights over others I've used. I'm pleased that the pistol comes with 3-dot sights. I may opt to install Trijicon night sights in the future if I see a practical use for them. I have Trijicon's on my 4506 and, while I like the sight picture, I haven't yet experienced anything that would make them a must. Between a tac light and a laser sight I doubt that they would ever be used as more than standard 3-dot sights.

Now I just need to get to the range and shoot it. It's looking good for this weekend!

HK45
06-10-10, 10:45
I prefer the Glock trigger but the M&P trigger isn't horrible. It smooths out after use and if it really bothers you then add the Apex hotness.

Deaj
06-11-10, 20:05
Couple pics with the TLR-1 light and extended mag:

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/M&P9-TLR1-24-01.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/M&P9-TLR1-24-02.jpg

GermanSynergy
06-11-10, 21:13
OP,
Congrats on a great purchase. It will serve you well. :cool:

orionz06
06-12-10, 08:49
how do you like those baseplates?

M4arc
06-12-10, 08:53
Hey Deaj, I wanted to say thank you for the truly outstanding thread! You're honest and open evaluation sets a new standard here on M4C. Thanks bro!

Deaj
06-12-10, 10:54
Hey Deaj, I wanted to say thank you for the truly outstanding thread! You're honest and open evaluation sets a new standard here on M4C. Thanks bro!

Thanks. I'm glad to be posting something of interest. I often feel like I'm a bit long winded. :D

Deaj
06-12-10, 11:15
So far I like the magazine extension baseplates. I'm taking my M&P-9 out to the range for the first time today so I'll be able to provide more feedback afterward. I ordered them with extended length springs (they're said to work with stock mag springs but some have reported inconsistent performance engaging the slide catch on an empty magazine). I am able to load 22 rounds by hand. A mag loader is needed to load the 23rd round. Both magazines cycle properly (manually with snap caps) so far and I don't expect any issues cycling in practical use. The extensions don't have much texture in the finish (though not completly smooth either. While I see no need to stipple the pistol's grip I may as some light stippling to the sides of the extensions for a more positive grip. I've had no trouble drilling reloads so far but there's no stress in a drill.

I'll post Any further observation after my trip to the range today (should be fun today - shooting my M&P-9 for the first time and zero'ing a new Eotech 512 on my M&P15T).

VirginiaTactical
06-12-10, 11:24
I purchased a 209301 M&P 9mm, 4.25" barrel, no internal lock, no magazine safety, no thumb safety. After reading a great deal from owners online I decided that none of the additional lock / safety features would really serve any purpose for me. In this way the M&P will be everything I wish my long gone G17 had been. I got a pretty good deal I think - $465. It'll cost me about $525 after the FFL transfer and tax (WA state now charges sales tax on the purchase price of FFL transfers). This is at least $60 better than I can do anywhere in state.

Should be fun!

Welcome to the M&P family! Its a great gun, but like any firearm it gets better with a ton of perfect practice. I would highly suggest you go to the site www.speedshooterspecialties.com they have many products that will enhance your M&P or M&P experience. Personally I also own an M&P airsoft pistol, and have steel targets in my basement (little ones) and practice with my airsoft pistol at least 2 times a week for an hour each.

The M&P goes great with any apex part, and I would highly suggest you check out your extractor and see if you have an old MIMd part or a newer milled extractor. I can provide a picture of the two if you need help in that department =)

Enjoy your pistol! There is a reason why its on the DEA personnel owned weapons list. It also surprassed the testing that the glock went through (same test).

Deaj
06-12-10, 19:24
Thanks for the info on the extractor. I checked into it and mine is the new milled part. Also, thanks for the link - saved in bookmarks. :)

Deaj
06-12-10, 19:53
I took the M&P9 to the range for the first time today and sent 100 rounds downrange. I really enjoyed shooting this pistol!! I'm shooting pretty well with it so far. All shooting was done at 15 yards. I shot some with hands rested on the bench to see if the sights are centered - they are. I also zero'd the CTC LaserGrip while shooting from the bench. The rest was shot two handed standing.

The pistol performed flawlessly - no failures. The 23 round extended magazines fed flawlessly. I like the trigger more after todays range visit than before. I will be installing the Apex carry/duty kit after a few more trips to the range but not for any dislike of the stock trigger (what's not to like about an improved trigger?).

Here's my last target from today:

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/10-Round-TwoHand-Standing-15-Yards.jpg

This is an 8" target with 10 rounds fired. The two farthest apart are exactly 5" center-to-center. The 7 shots inside the 9-ring are in a 1-5/8" size group. I need a little more trigger time to become consistent with it but I'm happy with the results from today!

Here are a couple of pics with the CTC laser installed:

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/M&P9-LLM-01.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/M&P9-LLM-02.jpg

So far I like this pistol almost as much as I like my S&W 4506! That's saying something - the 4506 is easily my favorite handgun of any I've owned, including the 1911's. The M&P-9 is a joy to shoot! It's also more economical to shoot than a .45ACP. With a little improvement in the trigger this could easily edge out my 4506 as my favorite range pistol.

I'm very pleased with every aspect of this purchase (including the accessories) and really happy with my S&W experience altogether (I own three S&W's now - a 4506 3rd gen. DA/SA, a M&P-15T built in-house at S&W, and a M&P-9). All have performed flawlessly to date and all are very enjoyable to shoot Color me happy! :)

jeri534
06-12-10, 20:03
Do you have different sights on it?

I thought the newest M&P models came with different style sights now

Deaj
06-12-10, 22:07
The model I bought (# 209301) comes with Novak low profile 3-dot sights. I like the sight picture!

jeri534
06-12-10, 22:36
I thought the newer models came with these sights

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/209301_01_lg.jpg

Deaj
06-12-10, 22:49
I thought the newer models came with these sights

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/209301_01_lg.jpg

I missed that one. Looks like S&W is using a stepped version of the Novak rear sight. I like it!

Deaj
06-12-10, 23:08
Apex Tactical duty/carry action enhancement kit ordered. :)

G34Shooter
06-13-10, 00:11
Apex Tactical duty/carry action enhancement kit ordered. :)

If you like the gun now, you will love it with some Apex Tactical parts :D

jeri534
06-13-10, 00:12
heh, Ive had my Apex parts since they were released, no gun to put them onto though

G34Shooter
06-13-10, 00:18
heh, Ive had my Apex parts since they were released, no gun to put them onto though

I'm still waiting for the Bar-Sto barrel, bomb proof striker and trigger bar to be released so i can send it back to get them all installed :D